Rinhomota

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rinhomota

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 12:35

Maneki Neko blackett is the best option imo

hes been better this season error wise, and id still prefer an error in midfield than the defence.
hes got a bit of everything you need tbf, athletic, can pass, and defend

Grudgingly I agree.

Second choice Ryan East.

Sure would be handy to have Joey van den Berg right now.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2019 12:56

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871
Coppells Lost Coat O'Shea if played needs to be at CB, Rotherham will pump balls into the box, he will read this and can be trusted to deal with it.
The amount of CM moved on and not replaced is criminal though. A few loans to paper over chasms of issues. Christ, we have been relying EZa to come back for months now and still not to be seen anywhere near the team - yet Meyler, Bacuna, Clement, Edwards leave???
Baker to me just is not good enough. Ejaria is inconsistent at best but could also be out injured.....

We've brought in plenty and have plenty of CMs. Is just defensive ones we have none of. Which has been an issue since Williams left and costs you massively at this level. We just walked through in the middle. Basically every goal I can think of us conceding is a result of this i.e Blackburn goal.

We had the same problem when Williams was here. He was a decent player but certainly wasn't a proper defensive midfielder. He just wanted to run through the middle and shoot from distance.

Yeah I did think about putting it as even before Williams left but I was never a massive fan of Williams as he was essentially a headless chicken but wasn't sure if my bias was clouding my memory of him.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2019 12:57

Snowflake Royal

hes been better this season error wise, and id still prefer an error in midfield than the defence.

Grudgingly I agree.

Second choice Ryan East.

Sure would be handy to have Joey van den Berg right now.

Now you're being silly.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Feb 2019 13:01

Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871
We've brought in plenty and have plenty of CMs. Is just defensive ones we have none of. Which has been an issue since Williams left and costs you massively at this level. We just walked through in the middle. Basically every goal I can think of us conceding is a result of this i.e Blackburn goal.

We had the same problem when Williams was here. He was a decent player but certainly wasn't a proper defensive midfielder. He just wanted to run through the middle and shoot from distance.

Yeah I did think about putting it as even before Williams left but I was never a massive fan of Williams as he was essentially a headless chicken but wasn't sure if my bias was clouding my memory of him.

With all his faults, If Williams was in the team. I wouldn't even hesitate to say that one he would have got sent off trying to stop them playing through us. Something we dont see in the current team often enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Feb 2019 13:28

Really don't see the point of playing a defender out of position. Joey was dismal by the time he left us

I would consider a back 5 - putting in Blackett to LCB and Richards LB. But I'd still grudgingly just go with Swift and Baker

We are playing Rotherham. They are shit. We really shouldn't be running scared and trying Left Backs in DCM to try and combat them. Sheff Utd away is a totally different proposition to Rotherham at home. Realistically the back 4 should be good enough to repel their attack, and Swift and Baker should be good enough to retain position and get us going forward.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Feb 2019 13:40

Hound
We are playing Rotherham. They are shit. We really shouldn't be running scared and trying Left Backs in DCM to try and combat them. Sheff Utd away is a totally different proposition to Rotherham at home. Realistically the back 4 should be good enough to repel their attack, and Swift and Baker should be good enough to retain position and get us going forward.

For the life of me, hope this is true. However no matter how shit Rotherham are - we have the same points as them by rights need to be taken absolutely seriously.
But without going into meltdown, we have a huge hole missing between the center circle and our 18 yard box that has to be addressed.
FWIW playing Swift in there is also playing someone out of position. But no other fit senior players to fill in there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Feb 2019 13:41

Hound Really don't see the point of playing a defender out of position. Joey was dismal by the time he left us

I would consider a back 5 - putting in Blackett to LCB and Richards LB. But I'd still grudgingly just go with Swift and Baker

The people that criticize Joey are so small minded, according to most posters, Gunter, Blackett, Joey, Williams and Beerens were all completely useless that playoff season. So that means we came 3rd with six players effectively. Not aiming this at you BTW, appreciate you understand his strengths as well as his weaknesses but I'd still rather Van Den Berg to Baker or Ejaria who have been really underwhelming so far

Is Kelly out for this one? Can't see it anywhere but he went off injured after 20 minutes. I think a midfield three of Kelly, Swift and Baker/Ejaria could just be enough, let's be honest, they even made Sims look decent when we drew 1-1 with them

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Feb 2019 13:58

Joey was decent in year 1. Second year he got found out and people exploited his weaknesses, lack of pace etc. He maybe could do a job at the moment, but he was rubbish last year. No point hankering after people who are long gone.

Accept Swift is also out of position, but he has played there considerably this season. He can play the role, if not particularly well. Blackett for example hasnt played there in years, if ever.

Have to be positive on this. We should dominate possession. Our back 4 should be good enough to keep out their attacking game. It's far from ideal and I'd much rather have Eza, Rino or Bacuna available, but they aren't.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Feb 2019 14:07

Joey van den Berg was never good. He is not and has never been a footballer.

All you have to do is cast your mind back to Cardiff (a) on the last day of last season when that cretin was haring around like a madman chopping people and handling it in the area. He has absolutely no composure or ability and very nearly cost us our Championship status.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2019 14:09

Some really awful opinions in this threat, no words for some of the comments.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Feb 2019 14:15

Issue I have is that we are going into a game with what could be perceived as a clear weakness. Its like going into a fight with a cut eye. Its something to target and aim for.
Winning the 2nd ball is a big must now as they are gunna lump it forward and ask questions of the desire and strength in the middle. O'Shea could be a calming influence, but I dont want calm I want desperation and tenacity and winning is the only option mentality.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Feb 2019 14:21

John Smith Joey van den Berg was never good. He is not and has never been a footballer.

All you have to do is cast your mind back to Cardiff (a) on the last day of last season when that cretin was haring around like a madman chopping people and handling it in the area. He has absolutely no composure or ability and very nearly cost us our Championship status.

So assuming you took issue with all the "fan boo boys", we came 3rd with 6 footballers and 5 "non footballers", OK then

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 18 Feb 2019 15:35

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Bringing in a random youth player is absolutely not the right option. There's a reason Barrett has been with us for three/four years and has got no-where near the squad. There's a reason Barrett wasn't even making the bench of a league two team last year. People calling him to start one of our biggest games for a long idea is a bit naive IMO. The same people wanting Sam Smith to start last season when he's a bang average striker at best

Barrett is the weirdest suggestion I've heard. He may be fairly stocky, but he's another flaky attacking midfielder... Not a proper central or defensive midfielder.

Yeah thanks for that. I know the history and what's at stake. My suggestion for him and East to be on the bench is simply we have no other CMs fit at all at the monent. Just Baker and Swift. Assuming Ejaria, Kelly and Rino are definitely out we literally have no other choice. Even we out a winger in there we are short on those too. We need a natural CM on the bench and those 2 are the only ones we have who are either close to the 1st team or have experience of it. Absolutely no way I would but a defender with a turning circle of a ferry in there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 15:40

Hound Joey was decent in year 1. Second year he got found out and people exploited his weaknesses, lack of pace etc. He maybe could do a job at the moment, but he was rubbish last year. No point hankering after people who are long gone.

Accept Swift is also out of position, but he has played there considerably this season. He can play the role, if not particularly well. Blackett for example hasnt played there in years, if ever.

Have to be positive on this. We should dominate possession. Our back 4 should be good enough to keep out their attacking game. It's far from ideal and I'd much rather have Eza, Rino or Bacuna available, but they aren't.

Only mentioned Berg because he's a) actually a defensive midfielder, b) still technically on our books and c) a way better option to play defensive midfield than literally anyone left who is fit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 15:43

Ranty McRantface
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Bringing in a random youth player is absolutely not the right option. There's a reason Barrett has been with us for three/four years and has got no-where near the squad. There's a reason Barrett wasn't even making the bench of a league two team last year. People calling him to start one of our biggest games for a long idea is a bit naive IMO. The same people wanting Sam Smith to start last season when he's a bang average striker at best

Barrett is the weirdest suggestion I've heard. He may be fairly stocky, but he's another flaky attacking midfielder... Not a proper central or defensive midfielder.

Yeah thanks for that. I know the history and what's at stake. My suggestion for him and East to be on the bench is simply we have no other CMs fit at all at the monent. Just Baker and Swift. Assuming Ejaria, Kelly and Rino are definitely out we literally have no other choice. Even we out a winger in there we are short on those too. We need a natural CM on the bench and those 2 are the only ones we have who are either close to the 1st team or have experience of it. Absolutely no way I would but a defender with a turning circle of a ferry in there.

I don't rate Barrett very highly, but I've got no problem with him being on the bench to cover his actual position. The idea he can bring a physical presence or place central (defensive) midfield though is laughable to me, apologies if that isn't what you meant, but in the context of the thread being about Rinomhota and his position...

I'd prefer Tyler Frost to Barrett.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 15:58

Yeah, pretty much any lineup for Sat could be criticized (and will be, esp by people who don't submit their own).
We really are in dire straits, so in the circumstances, Blackett is not a bad shout, Wendy. I guess I could buy that.
Would like more height on Sat, imo. Their stoppage time headed equalizer against us at their place is still in my mind. Incorporating your Blackett suggestion, and going with back 3, how about this?:

.........................Martinez

..........Miazga.....O'Shea.....Moore

Yiadom.............Blackett................Ejaria

..............................Swift
Bodvarsson...................................Barrow
............................Oliveira

SUBS:
Meite
Richards
McCleary
Baker
Gunter
McShane
Jaak

Richards on for Eja (or Barrow).
Meite on for Bod.
McCleary/Baker on for someone.

That assumes all those will be fit, of course.

Btw, Rovrum aren't 'utter dogshite', either. Or at least, they haven't been lately. They've lost 1 game in 5 (2-1 to Leeds, on last min winner). They are unbeaten in their last 4 games, they have same points as we have, have lost less games than we have, and have scored the same number of goals. They will be well up for this.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 18 Feb 2019 17:17, edited 6 times in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Feb 2019 16:07

biff :shock: :shock: :shock:

The most ludicrous suggestion I think I've ever seen on here. Would prefer the grumpy old troll woman from the east stand bar.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Far and away the best post I have seen on here all year

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Feb 2019 16:09

URZZZZ
John Smith Joey van den Berg was never good. He is not and has never been a footballer.

So assuming you took issue with all the "fan boo boys", we came 3rd with 6 footballers and 5 "non footballers", OK then

Was that in English? I have no idea what it means.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Feb 2019 16:24

sandman
Notts Royal The box to box midfielder type is vastly underrated at this club. Which is a surprise as the role is highly effective at this level, and we’ve been highly successful using that type of player.

Rino, Karacan, Sidwell for example.

Ok they are all slightly different but they were all high-energy players.

Transversely we’ve never been effective with players such as Kelly, Baker, Norwood & Guthrie.

Those players seem to work better in the Prem or a more continental style.

Sometimes it’s best to stick with what you know works as a club

+1

A certain element of our fans don't appreciate that role unfortunately.

It’s about a blend, not just having a box to box/energetic midfielder.

To make Sidwell successful we had Harper (energetic yes, but he was a holding, dictator of play). For Taylor we had Osborn, for Gooding we had Dillon, etc etc

Under McDermott we often had two similar types in the middle, Karacan and Leigertwood for example, but we also had Brian Howard, Gylfi and, to a lesser extent Jay Tabb.

Totally agree the club seem to have ignored the requirement for a bit of steel in the midfield though. The balance just isn’t there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Feb 2019 16:28

they haven't ignored it. Just one was rubbish (Meyler), and one has been injured since October. Rino was fitting in nicely til injured