Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by all or nothing

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Feb 2019 18:51

I've cheered up now watching that last 10 minutes of rugby :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Feb 2019 18:57

Right well I'm going to drink lots of tequila. oxf*rd that 2nd half and oxf*rd Gomes for bringing on John O'Shea and allowing Rotherham to attack us relentlessly. Those players deserve League 1.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2019 19:00

I`m beyond despair but getting used to it, the last 5 minutes showed what we could do with actual attacking intent. Rotherham showed exactly why they are down there with us, awful team but play with passion.
If we can`t beat them it`s hard to know where the next win is coming from.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Feb 2019 19:02

I don't see any improvement under Gomes at all.

Doesn't help that we have so many average players. I wish we sold Moore when Brighton offered us £8m. He's such an overrated player and we'll be lucky to get £2m for him if we go down. Whilst Swift clearly has quality, he's a luxury player and we probably need to sell him. We are really missing someone who breaks up play and wins us the ball back from the opposition.

Truth is we need a turnover of players.

Ipswich will beat us next week.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Feb 2019 19:04

SCIAG
Bristol Paul Rotherham tried hard, ran hard, but lacking quality. Our players think they are better than they are, Swift can’t tackle and is definitely not as good as he thinks he is. Moore is another, negative, poor touch and wish we’d sold him when we had the chance. Why do we persevere with getting into so much trouble from playing it out form the back, and we don’t play with any tempo whatsoever. If there was any doubt it would go down to the last day, there shouldn’t be now, we are so so poor and have no fight for the challenge in my view.

Don't remember us getting into trouble from playing it out from the back today. I do remember us scoring a goal after playing it out from the back.

Honestly the negative here is completely baffling. Yes the sub was weird and the two dropped points are disappointing but we played really well. Every single player eho started can hold their head up high after that performance. Play like that every week and we'll be fine.

FFS

The phrase we've been saying since the 3rd of August.

The goal came about from getting the ball out wide and using some pace, not because of passing around the back, the passing just came along with it.

We then didn't bother getting it out wide with pace until just after Rotherham scored and then managed to get three chances that we should have done better with.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Feb 2019 19:06

I watched on ifollow as I’m in France. oxf*rd me we are shit. Meite was gash and so was Oliveira god knows how he missed that. Thought the Liverpool lad offered the most quality and certainly stood out but probably easy to do with the other shite. It’s depressing watching Gmac now compared to what he once offered.

It’s weird it always looks like we are playing within ourselves and it looks like we never really “go for it”, in reality we are just not a good team, we’re devoid of quality, creativity and commitment.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Feb 2019 19:15

CountryRoyal I watched on ifollow as I’m in France. oxf*rd me we are shit. Meite was gash and so was Oliveira god knows how he missed that. Thought the Liverpool lad offered the most quality and certainly stood out but probably easy to do with the other shite. It’s depressing watching Gmac now compared to what he once offered.

It’s weird it always looks like we are playing within ourselves and it looks like we never really “go for it”, in reality we are just not a good team, we’re devoid of quality, creativity and commitment.

Where are you in France? Why didn't you come visit me? We could have made a day of it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Feb 2019 19:19

CountryRoyal

It’s weird it always looks like we are playing within ourselves and it looks like we never really “go for it”.

Yep it’s an odd one. We really did ‘go for it’ between 85-90mins and were excellent. So why only do it then?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Feb 2019 19:20

Ascotexgunner Rotherham have had goals in them the last couple of months. They take their chances . We don't.
Really mystified by the subs, seemed to drop very deep and that was our downfall. I'd still rather have Gomes than Clement but Jesus Christ this team ware shocking. Whether we survive or not 70% of this team can f*ck off at the end of the season, never want to see them in a Reading shirt again.
I'm starting to wonder whether Gomes has the balls to make positive gambles when it matters and would rather defend slender leads when we really should be more positive.

Genuinely believe Clement would’ve kept us up. He needed more than 1 transfer window. The bloke was shafted by the club.

Gomes might have brought an air of positivity to the club but what difference will that make when we’re relegated?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2019 19:22

Bristol Paul Rotherham tried hard, ran hard, but lacking quality.

If we put half their team into ours. We'd be comfortably mid table. :roll:

Quality players alone don't make a team. Other ingredients come into play.

I'd back Rotherham to stay up above us. More likely to scrape points together away from home.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2019 19:24

Hound My main concern is still the lack of chance creation

GMac played well but had so little of the ball. Meite didn’t do enough for me

We’re not getting the ball out fast enough to the wingers. When we do we create chances

Because the defenders and midfielders are frequently more interested in playing triangles in our half and dawdling in their passing, sadly.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Feb 2019 19:24

sandman
SCIAG
Bristol Paul Rotherham tried hard, ran hard, but lacking quality. Our players think they are better than they are, Swift can’t tackle and is definitely not as good as he thinks he is. Moore is another, negative, poor touch and wish we’d sold him when we had the chance. Why do we persevere with getting into so much trouble from playing it out form the back, and we don’t play with any tempo whatsoever. If there was any doubt it would go down to the last day, there shouldn’t be now, we are so so poor and have no fight for the challenge in my view.

Don't remember us getting into trouble from playing it out from the back today. I do remember us scoring a goal after playing it out from the back.

Honestly the negative here is completely baffling. Yes the sub was weird and the two dropped points are disappointing but we played really well. Every single player eho started can hold their head up high after that performance. Play like that every week and we'll be fine.

FFS

The goal came about from getting the ball out wide and using some pace, not because of passing around the back, the passing just came along with it.

We then didn't bother getting it out wide with pace until just after Rotherham scored and then managed to get three chances that we should have done better with.

We've used that phrase about every third match because it's true - every three matches or so we play really well, and today was one such example. We need to add the consistency.

We can only get the ball wide with pace - which btw we did an awful lot today - if we have the ball on the ground. If Moore had booted it out rather than going back to Martinez, or if Martinez had kicked long rather than playing it out, and so forth, then we wouldn't have scored.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2019 19:25

Hound
CountryRoyal

It’s weird it always looks like we are playing within ourselves and it looks like we never really “go for it”.

Yep it’s an odd one. We really did ‘go for it’ between 85-90mins and were excellent. So why only do it then?

Rotherham did work hard the entire match. Also were pushing for the win. Could easily have kept more players back.

Fresh legs in Harriott and Barrow would obviously have an impact.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 23 Feb 2019 19:29

Lower West
Bristol Paul Rotherham tried hard, ran hard, but lacking quality.

If we put half their team into ours. We'd be comfortably mid table. :roll:

Quality players alone don't make a team. Other ingredients come into play.

I'd back Rotherham to stay up above us. More likely to scrape points together away from home.

This. We have lots of quality in the squad.....but very little fight or desire. We are in this mess because we don’t do the simple stuff and we always allow teams back into the game when we take the lead. This could easily have happened against Blackburn.....Nelson saved our blushes.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2019 19:29

SCIAG We've used that phrase about every third match because it's true - every three matches or so we play really well, and today was one such example. We need to add the consistency.

Don't recall the first 44 minutes against Blackburn being particular good.

The inconsistancy of the team selection this season speaks volumes. Must be approaching a 100 changes match to match. I know that we were top of that particular league a few weeks ago.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 23 Feb 2019 19:32

sandman
SCIAG

FFS

I thought Moore played well one fantastic block agree with the substition right bloke off wrong bloke on.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 23 Feb 2019 19:35

Two really poor teams, and a fair result i guess. We go 1-0 up and for ten minutes we had them on the ropes, a second and its game over and Wigan and Millwall are right back in the mix. However, we let them back into the game and sat back on our lead and that was that....
One standout for me today was Meite, this guy is a joke of a footballer, no skill, no first touch, no ability to beat his man or cross a ball and he had numerous chances to get down the flank today and beat his man, only to stop and put his foot on the ball and go backwards.
We play a formation where the two wingers/ Inside forwards need to be able to beat there man and create chances for the lone Striker and get the ball into Oliveras feet!!
I'm afraid McCleary is clearly past his best and as said Meite is a Joke!! Barrow or Harriott should be our regular Right Wingers as they have the raw pace and ability to make things happen. Rant over.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Feb 2019 19:44

Lower West
SCIAG We've used that phrase about every third match because it's true - every three matches or so we play really well, and today was one such example. We need to add the consistency.

Don't recall the first 44 minutes against Blackburn being particular good.

The inconsistancy of the team selection this season speaks volumes. Must be approaching a 100 changes match to match. I know that we were top of that particular league a few weeks ago.

Really valid point. Both managers have spoken about the squad size being an issue. But more import to that is a settled team. Neither have mastered that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2019 19:51

Crowbar6753 I'm afraid McCleary is clearly past his best and as said Meite is a Joke!! Barrow or Harriott should be our regular Right Wingers as they have the raw pace and ability to make things happen. Rant over.

Absolute nonsense, Barrow has played pretty much every game this season and hasn't contributed anything, Harriott isn't the answer either, we should have signed two natural wingers in the window but we didn't and it's coming back to bite us because they're useless. McCleary was a lot better today though TBF

187 posts