BFTG Rotherham

127 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Rotherham

by John Smith » 26 Feb 2019 11:27

The Gomes appointment was proven to be exactly what it was on Saturday: wrongly timed. If he came in in the summer with a fresh start and started trying to play that 5-a-side style then that would be suitable but that is Bolton and now Rotherham who we have come unstuck against in the last minute: two basic footballing sides.

Now is the time for results, not performances, not pretty styles. We should be matching those dross sides around us and just go 4-4-2. This is the Championship - I don't want my keeper knocking it about a yard from his goal line.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Feb 2019 17:39

Tails So you are saying that neither manager has had much influence on the transfer market?

Which players have had the best impact since joining the club? Martinez? Oliveira? Miazga?

No, I said they dont make signings in a vacuum. Im sure they have influence, though how much influence a manager has, particularly one joining the club very shortly before a transfer window, in this day and age is debateable.

Oliveira has been a class apart IMO. Yiadom has made a difference. Ezatolahi looked a cut above before his injury. Those would be my three standouts with Miazga and Martinez not far behind but still a bit early to tell.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2019 18:26

John Smith The Gomes appointment was proven to be exactly what it was on Saturday: wrongly timed. If he came in in the summer with a fresh start and started trying to play that 5-a-side style then that would be suitable but that is Bolton and now Rotherham who we have come unstuck against in the last minute: two basic footballing sides.

Now is the time for results, not performances, not pretty styles. We should be matching those dross sides around us and just go 4-4-2. This is the Championship - I don't want my keeper knocking it about a yard from his goal line.

Bolton, Millwall and Rotherham are well versed in 4-4-2 long ball style and it’s all brought then relative success

We neither have the players or a manager who can play the system. We’d be absolutely atrocious if we tried to play it with our current set up and would guarantee relegation

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Feb 2019 18:35

Hound
We neither have the players or a manager who can play the system. We’d be absolutely atrocious if we tried to play it with our current set up and would guarantee relegation

I'm still waiting to see a style other than that which simply relies on possession of the ball, While the clock runs down and the opposition have no opportunity to create a scoring chance. We rarely seem to put opposition teams under any sustained level of pressure. As the tempo far too often too slow.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Feb 2019 09:38

Hound Bolton, Millwall and Rotherham are well versed in 4-4-2 long ball style and it’s all brought then relative success

I'm saying we should have changed the system to face those sides.

How's our current system going for us? Gomes isn't conducive to the English game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2019 09:57

John Smith
Hound Bolton, Millwall and Rotherham are well versed in 4-4-2 long ball style and it’s all brought then relative success

I'm saying we should have changed the system to face those sides.

How's our current system going for us? Gomes isn't conducive to the English game.

Why? Change our system to something that the opposition is better at than us? Being as they no doubt train against it as well, the likes of Nelson and Swift playing a Millwall style game is laughable

Too late now to worry whether Gomes is suited to the English game or not. We have him. He and the players should try to play the system they know best and are most comfortable with. The current system in itself isn't massively to blame for our disappointing results - conceding late goals to Blackburn, Rotherham, Bolton is the main issue. Other than Sheff Utd, we've held our own in every other game recently

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2019 10:08

Think we will lose on Saturday but by no means will it relegate us, actually think we will pick up a lot of points at home that will save us from the drop.

127 posts