We are as good as down!

Forest Gump

We are as good as down!

by Forest Gump » 23 Feb 2019 21:48

I read that we needed three wins to stay up ( probably four wins now as I think the assumption was that we’d take “6 points” from the Rotherham game)

So I can’t see us winning any of our remaining fixtures on current form.

Am I wrong?
Which games could we win?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: We are as good as down!

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2019 21:57

We've lost what 2 in 7?

We're in trouble for sure, but we could beat Wigan or Ipswich. And we could beat anyone mid-table too... after all our recent victories were against Forest and Blackburn.

I've thought we are going down for ages, but it'll be closer than I thought and we're far from finished.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2019 22:08

Snowflake Royal We've lost what 2 in 7?

We're in trouble for sure, but we could beat Wigan or Ipswich. And we could beat anyone mid-table too... after all our recent victories were against Forest and Blackburn.

I've thought we are going down for ages, but it'll be closer than I thought and we're far from finished.

Agreed especially as Rotherham have a hard run in. However I am concerned at how negative Gomes had us set up today. We threw it away.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2019 22:11

What a ridiculous post - Bolton, Ipswich and Rotherham are in just as bad form as we are

You're literally assuming there will be no more shocks the rest of the season, was it not Birmingham 0-1 Bolton a week or so ago when Bolton hadn't won in 20 games or something

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2019 22:26

Snowflake Royal We've lost what 2 in 7?

In the 10 league games under Gomes we've scored 7 goals. Exclude the own goal and the penalty. That's 5 from open play.

Not going to stay up by drawing 0-0. Then conceding 4 every 5th game we play.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Feb 2019 22:34

36 points still to play for, think that the play-offs might just be out of reach

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2019 23:10

AthleticoSpizz 36 points still to play for, think that the play-offs might just be out of reach

Relegation is automatic no need to play off.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Feb 2019 23:12

Lighten-up, it’s just a speculative thread title

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2019 23:18

Likely to go right to the wire IMO. should make the last day interesting.

Delboy

by Delboy » 24 Feb 2019 06:54

Lost one game in last 6 with 9 points carry that on = 48 points and safety , Rotherham have drawn there last 4 games so always thought it was a no lose game for both sides. If we can beat the likes of Forest and Blackburn and draw with Villa we should be ok

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Feb 2019 08:06

Forest Gump I read that we needed three wins to stay up ( probably four wins now as I think the assumption was that we’d take “6 points” from the Rotherham game)

Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.

Firstly we don't need three wins. We need to finish above three teams. We're on course to achieve that, but it could take more or less than three wins.

Secondly the phrase "six pointer" doesn't mean that winning is six points better than drawing as your post would imply.

Thirdly, I can see us winning any (but not all) of our remaining matches. Certainly can remember times when we were in or around the playoff places and lost to teams in and around the relegation places. Each individual match is not likely to be a Reading win, but we know that Bristol City are beatable for instance. Wigan and Ipswich are certainly beatable. On our day we can beat any side. The issue has been that we haven't had enough of our days.

Fourthly, declaring a team "as good as down" when they aren't even in the relegation zone is just lolzworthy. We might get relegated, but currently the odds are narrowly in our favour.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Feb 2019 08:41

Prior to losing in the cup in mid week Bristol City had gone 15 unbeaten. Whilst that run has come to an end this week, their two losses have come to an end to a top 10 Premier League team and the best team in the division by one goal.

It would be nice but there is no reason to suggest that a team with one away win all season can go to Ashton Gate and beat Bristol City. To call them beatable appears pretty naive.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 24 Feb 2019 09:22

We’re not as good as down, we’re not even in the relegation zone. HTH

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Feb 2019 09:26

We are not as good as down.

Ipswich are.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 24 Feb 2019 09:35

The bottom four are all crap , none of this four are going to embark on a wonder winning streak . It will come down to who grinds out the odd dirty win and scrappy draws,maybe 0-0's

All four teams are shot of confidence and are scared of losing , hence we witnessed the type of game yesterday.

As previously mentioned , with our last three games being West Brom , Boro and Brum, we need to hope we're in a good position before then , I've a strong feeling it will go to the last game. That does not bode well.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Feb 2019 14:16

SCIAG
Forest Gump I read that we needed three wins to stay up ( probably four wins now as I think the assumption was that we’d take “6 points” from the Rotherham game)
Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.
Firstly we don't need three wins. We need to finish above three teams.

Wait, are you saying we can stay up if his points per game is worse than Clement's? :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Feb 2019 14:41

The Enfield Royal71 We are not as good as down.

Ipswich are.

In a way takes the pressure off Ipswich.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Feb 2019 14:45

Gunny Fishcake The bottom four are all crap , none of this four are going to embark on a wonder winning streak . It will come down to who grinds out the odd dirty win and scrappy draws,maybe 0-0's

None of the bottom 4 plus Millwall and Wigan are capable of scoring many goals. Scrappy draws ultimately might be the the deciding factor.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 25 Feb 2019 07:22

We are where we were a couple of months ago - still in a head to head with Rotherham.

Bolton are the whipping boys. Every team in the league sees them as three points. Ipswich have had a few chances this year to start collecting points, and theyve failed every time. They look like a team resigned to their fate, and who might actually be OK with going down.

Millwall and Wigan are us from last year. Not many Championship quality players, but to get relegated they would need to finish the year worse than 2 or 3 bad teams. I'm sure, also like us last year, there are enough chumps on their boards looking at their prices to go down and thinking they are fabulous value.

Ask me a couple of months ago and I would have said we look all over a relegation side. Now I'm not too sure. Since January, we now have a strategy. Play the loanees and hope there is enough moments of quality to pick up enough points. At least we have a strategy now. Rotherham are seemingly putting all their eggs in one basket by prioritising their home games. This may not actually be that bad a strategy - at least they are trying to win some of their games.

Rotherham have a couple of home games at the start of April, when we are Away to Hull and Norwich, one of which is snuck away on a Wednesday night. Think they will aim to get back whatever they lose in the next two games at the start of March, where we have a couple of nice fixtures (Ipswich and WIgan). I feel if we dont start to move (significantly) away from Rotherham in the next 2 games, we could go down.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Feb 2019 09:33

sandman Prior to losing in the cup in mid week Bristol City had gone 15 unbeaten. Whilst that run has come to an end this week, their two losses have come to an end to a top 10 Premier League team and the best team in the division by one goal.

It would be nice but there is no reason to suggest that a team with one away win all season can go to Ashton Gate and beat Bristol City. To call them beatable appears pretty naive.

Beatable means they can be beaten - they have lost 9 games this season - they are beatable.

Of these 9 defeats - there is one result that stands out in particular:

Reading 3 Bristol City 2.

We have beaten them so no reason to believe we couldn't beat them again.