MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by Brian McDermott

298 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by Brian McDermott

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Mar 2019 11:05

Dont Leeds play wingers on the wrong side so they cut in a lot?
Maybe having a right footed Gunter at LB isn't the end of the world....... :oops:

(i'd rather not though)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2019 11:10

Coppells Lost Coat Dont Leeds play wingers on the wrong side so they cut in a lot?
Maybe having a right footed Gunter at LB isn't the end of the world....... :oops:

(i'd rather not though)

Do they? I always loved the idea of inside forwards. If it's done well it's like being an unorthodox boxer.

I *think* the best counter to inside forwards is to force them outside of your full backs. It's when they cut in and draw men out of position that they cause chaos.

If Leeds do play that way then an firm backline, zonal marking from the CMs and wingers closing down is my tip.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 11:40

NewCorkSeth Theoretically if we had to promote a CM or DM to the first team who is first in line?

The one who was on the bench on Saturday I would guess.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 12 Mar 2019 11:42

Coppells Lost Coat Dont Leeds play wingers on the wrong side so they cut in a lot?

(i'd rather not though)

Probably lining up with Harrison on the left who is left footed, and Hernandez on the right, who's right footed. However, looking at their overall heat maps, they do tend to "switch" throughout the matches from time to time.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2019 11:43

Victor Meldrew
John Smith Leeds lost 1-0 at QPR last week, they're probably about as good as we are right now. I'd say we're easily capable of winning this but I am fully expecting a point at least.

I hope, like you, it is the Leeds of the QPR game-you have forgotten Leeds' win since then at play-off hopefuls Bristol City on Saturday where they won 1-0 and had 16 shots (to 4 for Bristol).
The other stat that might be significant is that they had 4 bookings.

I believe our best chance is for our wingers to get at hothead Alioski ,who is a winger playing at left-back,and not just stand off and let Leeds come at us.
West Brom did that the other day and were smashed 4-0.

I hope the manager doesn't do any more square pegs in round holes and plays a centre-back in Moore's position if he is unfit.
Also I hope that he doesn't play young Loader in midfield-he looks lost there and at the moment is not physically strong enough.

Regular posters will know that I am one of those that doesn't want to see our Welsh International star anywhere near the first team and IIRC he played at left-back up there and got the complete runaround so I will be most disappointed if gets a start tonight.

Victor, I'm not interested in meaningless statistics. The only statistic anyone cares about is goals. All that you've told me there is their forwards can't hit a barn door and that they are a bit ill-disciplined but I knew that anyway. It's football: a very simple game of 11 v 11.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 12 Mar 2019 11:46

John Smith
Victor Meldrew
John Smith Leeds lost 1-0 at QPR last week, they're probably about as good as we are right now. I'd say we're easily capable of winning this but I am fully expecting a point at least.

I hope, like you, it is the Leeds of the QPR game-you have forgotten Leeds' win since then at play-off hopefuls Bristol City on Saturday where they won 1-0 and had 16 shots (to 4 for Bristol).
The other stat that might be significant is that they had 4 bookings.

I believe our best chance is for our wingers to get at hothead Alioski ,who is a winger playing at left-back,and not just stand off and let Leeds come at us.
West Brom did that the other day and were smashed 4-0.

I hope the manager doesn't do any more square pegs in round holes and plays a centre-back in Moore's position if he is unfit.
Also I hope that he doesn't play young Loader in midfield-he looks lost there and at the moment is not physically strong enough.

Regular posters will know that I am one of those that doesn't want to see our Welsh International star anywhere near the first team and IIRC he played at left-back up there and got the complete runaround so I will be most disappointed if gets a start tonight.

Victor, I'm not interested in meaningless statistics. The only statistic anyone cares about is goals. All that you've told me there is their forwards can't hit a barn door and that they are a bit ill-disciplined but I knew that anyway. It's football: a very simple game of 11 v 11.

Goals scored by Leeds: 60
Goals scored on average: 47

Slightly better than not being able to hit a barn door.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 11:53

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews
No you have an U23 CDM come in. You simply cannot have Liam Kelly playing against that Leeds midfield. We would be better off starting with 10 men rather than Kelly playing.

But that player is currently injured....
You really suggest throwing a player in for his debut in adult football makes sense ? Especially when he’s hardly a tough tackling ball winner himself ?

Yes because we have nothing to lose against Leeds, it is a free hit. We are expected to lose and can play with no pressure after the vital win at the weekend. Our season will not be defined by a game against Leeds United.

I am pretty sure the under 23's have more than one player that can play as a CDM. Rinomhota, who I assume you are referring to isn't a Reading U23 player btw. Keep up.

Well Rino is 21 and has obviously been part of the first team squad this season but the point is we have already pulled the best u23 defensive midfielder out of the squad and you don’t tend to just go out and sign another one.
I woukdn’t Say there is another u23 player ready to step up to the first team in that position, especially against Leeds. Seems perverse to argue that there is when you have no idea about the u23’s and we have Kelly (if fit) who is perfectly capable of playing.
While you may consider the game a free hit for the club, you also need to think of individuals. The impact on a teenager of throwing them into what should be a very competitive, physically tough game played in a different manner and faster pace than they have ever encountered could be extremely counter productive.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 12:15

its definitely not a 'free hit' either. You'd hope to get something from Leeds at home, and its probably a rough guide to how hard our remaining fixtures are

Norwich away is probably the only game I look at left and seriously think we have very very little chance of getting anything from.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 12 Mar 2019 12:18

Surprised (the cheat) Alioski is playing at left back, I'd bet he'd dive for a non contact penalty given any chance.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 12:19

Hound its definitely not a 'free hit' either. You'd hope to get something from Leeds at home, and its probably a rough guide to how hard our remaining fixtures are

Norwich away is probably the only game I look at left and seriously think we have very very little chance of getting anything from.

Nope it is a free hit against a team at the top of the league. Totally deluded to think we will realistically get anything from tonights game. The only games we should be focussing on are Preston at home, Hull away and Brentford at home. Three wins and we stay up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Mar 2019 12:20

Decent read ahead of the game.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11673/11662728/reading-manager-jose-gomes-has-transformed-the-mood-at-the-club

Also interesting to note the pass direction stat halfway down the page to anyone who thinks we just go backwards :wink:

Thanks to Maffff for posting this on twitter which is where I saw it

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Mar 2019 12:25

NewCorkSeth Theoretically if we had to promote a CM or DM to the first team who is first in line?

Options:

Ryan East - neat and tidy, good passer, good positionally, but about the same height as Kelly and much slighter. Might be blown away by a strong gust of wind. Same age as Richards, Osho, Barrett, and Smith.
Jordan Holsgrove - very good technically but not as good as East defensively and also not much bigger. Spent most of the year out injured but is back to full fitness now. Same age as Loader and Holmes (two years younger than East)
Ade Shokunbi - more physical, but also a more attacking player. Not especially gifted. Think Akpan. Same age as McIntyre (between East and Holsgrove).
Ethan Coleman - clearly "down the pecking order" and I'm not sure he's fit. Good passing range, former England U16 international, around six foot and a bit more of a natural anchor than the others. Same age as Loader, Holmes, and Holsgrove.
Tom Holmes - has played in midfield before, big, good passer, not particularly fit or mobile and wants to play centre-back.
Conor "Flawless" Lawless - extremely gifted, showy player. Does come deep to find space but wouldn't provide anything like "protection" at first team level. 16, would be one of the youngest players ever to play for us.
Oliver Pendlebury - pretty much the closest to a "Kuhl" in the current system but is also only 16 and has been kept out of the U23s by East.

Basically there isn't anyone who would be ideal but East is clearly in Gomes' thinking. I know Holmes and Lawless have both filled the role in first-team training over the past few months but would be surprised to see either start. Holmes might make the bench if Moore is out, which would let him cover both positions.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 12:28

Old Man Andrews
Hound its definitely not a 'free hit' either. You'd hope to get something from Leeds at home, and its probably a rough guide to how hard our remaining fixtures are

Nope it is a free hit against a team at the top of the league. Totally deluded to think we will realistically get anything from tonights game. The only games we should be focussing on are Preston at home, Hull away and Brentford at home. Three wins and we stay up.

Nothing from the Stoke game ?
Nothing from Birmingham at home ?
Crazy to pick 3 games and ignore the rest, there will be plenty of unexpected results before the season ends.
Leeds are inconsistent, they are not significantly better than us on current form, the weather will be awful. Thinking we can not get anything from this game is stupid and self fulfilling, Leeds should start favourites but neither a draw or a home win are out if he question.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 12:29

Old Man Andrews

Preston have been on incredible form since we beat them. Hull have lost once at home since 2nd October and Brentford - genuinely who knows what will turn up. Leeds have lost 6 out of their last 13, including to QPR twice, Hull (h), Stoke and Forest.

I don't think we'll get anything either OMA, but be sensible. They are an inconsistent side, if the wrong one turns up we could certainly claim something

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 12:29

Nameless
Old Man Andrews

Crazy to pick 3 games and ignore the rest, there will be plenty of unexpected results before the season ends.
Leeds are inconsistent, they are not significantly better than us on current form, the weather will be awful. Thinking we can not get anything from this game is stupid and self fulfilling, Leeds should start favourites but neither a draw or a home win are out if he question.

Birmingham isthe last home game of the season hence why it isn't something to focus on, we will be safe by then. Stoke will beat us.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 12:30

PieEater Surprised (the cheat) Alioski is playing at left back, I'd bet he'd dive for a non contact penalty given any chance.

Something no Reading player has ever done ofcourse !

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Mar 2019 12:31

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews

Birmingham isthe last home game of the season hence why it isn't something to focus on, we will be safe by then. Stoke will beat us.

Seems little point actually playing the games. Just let you guess the results based on no actual evidence at all !

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Mar 2019 12:33

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
But that player is currently injured....
You really suggest throwing a player in for his debut in adult football makes sense ? Especially when he’s hardly a tough tackling ball winner himself ?

Yes because we have nothing to lose against Leeds, it is a free hit. We are expected to lose and can play with no pressure after the vital win at the weekend. Our season will not be defined by a game against Leeds United.

I am pretty sure the under 23's have more than one player that can play as a CDM. Rinomhota, who I assume you are referring to isn't a Reading U23 player btw. Keep up.

You also need to think of individuals. The impact on a teenager of throwing them into what should be a very competitive, physically tough game played in a different manner and faster pace than they have ever encountered could be extremely counter productive.

Not sure it's best for the team as far as getting the best result, but individually that stuff can be overstated, imo.
If you asked any of the U23's, they'd love to play. That's why you play the game, for those opportunities.
They've been in and around organized, highly competitive footy for a very long time. They will have been in over their head's at times, not been ready, outplayed, made mistakes, heavy losses, etc.
Doubt they'd be scarred for life by playing Leeds, and instead would likely be better for it. They will learn some things, and the game will slow down once back in U23's.
I'm not necessarily saying they should play or that individually they'd be 'ready', just that the negative impacts on a player can be exaggerated, imo.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 12 Mar 2019 12:49, edited 3 times in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2019 12:33

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Preston have been on incredible form since we beat them. Hull have lost once at home since 2nd October and Brentford - genuinely who knows what will turn up. Leeds have lost 6 out of their last 13, including to QPR twice, Hull (h), Stoke and Forest.

I don't think we'll get anything either OMA, but be sensible. They are an inconsistent side, if the wrong one turns up we could certainly claim something

How inconsistent can a side be who are sitting 2nd in the league? Do they lose a game here and there? Sure they do but they have the perfect game to combat us at the moment. What everyone is missing or doesn't know about is how dominant their midfield two are. Like I have said if we were full strength I would be hopeful of getting something too but I have to look at the two starting line ups and be honest in this case. Would absolutely love to be wrong about it but I just can't see it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2019 12:33

SCIAG

Options:

Ryan East - neat and tidy, good passer, good positionally, but about the same height as Kelly and much slighter. Might be blown away by a strong gust of wind. Same age as Richards, Osho, Barrett, and Smith.
Jordan Holsgrove - very good technically but not as good as East defensively and also not much bigger. Spent most of the year out injured but is back to full fitness now. Same age as Loader and Holmes (two years younger than East)
Ade Shokunbi - more physical, but also a more attacking player. Not especially gifted. Think Akpan. Same age as McIntyre (between East and Holsgrove).
Ethan Coleman - clearly "down the pecking order" and I'm not sure he's fit. Good passing range, former England U16 international, around six foot and a bit more of a natural anchor than the others. Same age as Loader, Holmes, and Holsgrove.
Tom Holmes - has played in midfield before, big, good passer, not particularly fit or mobile and wants to play centre-back.
Conor "Flawless" Lawless - extremely gifted, showy player. Does come deep to find space but wouldn't provide anything like "protection" at first team level. 16, would be one of the youngest players ever to play for us.
Oliver Pendlebury - pretty much the closest to a "Kuhl" in the current system but is also only 16 and has been kept out of the U23s by East.

Basically there isn't anyone who would be ideal but East is clearly in Gomes' thinking. I know Holmes and Lawless have both filled the role in first-team training over the past few months but would be surprised to see either start. Holmes might make the bench if Moore is out, which would let him cover both positions.

Thank you.

298 posts