298 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by Brian McDermott

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2019 20:59

When : Tuesday 12th March, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Well after that terrific end to a game we're all believing again! And though what's left of the squad is decidedly disjointed and struggling to cover various positions at least we can be sure that they are trying and that they do care even down to all the loan signings. Performances may generally be patchy at best but as long as points are collected who the hell will care?

Now second placed Leeds roll into town and they are rather useful at the moment as they chase a return to the Premier League after 15 years or so away. However that means no-one expects anything of Reading other than glorious failure ergo there is no pressure on the team despite the fact the games are starting to run out.

Leeds current form is 4 wins and a defeat in the last 5 but that defeat did occur at the other hooped bunch down the road on a Tuesday night and they're hardly on good form either at the moment so there is some possibility of finding a crack in the supposedly impossible to beat Peacocks. Look at Leeds' form over the last 12 games and it looks a little better as Leeds have only(!) won 6 and drawn 1 of them.

Leeds have a couple of injury problems with Kemar Roofe is definitely out and Patrick Bamford is very doubtful after picking up a knee injury at Bristol.

Reading's continual injury crisis got even worse with Ejaria picking up a likely groin strain and Liam Moore taking a heavy blow to his shoulder. I expect Ejaria to definitely miss the game while Moore maybe a doubt but let us all hope not. What Gomes does next with his team selection is anyone's guess but with three quarters of your strikers crocked and nearly all the midfield now in the same treatment room options are beyond scraping the barrel.

Lastly it's Leeds so it's on the telly. And probably as the main game rather than just making up the numbers on the red button.

Referee

Gavin "emergency" Ward "10" has been encumbered with this one.

Previously

01 Sep 2018 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
25 Aug 2015 > Portsmouth 1-2 Reading (League Cup)
20 Dec 2014 > Reading 0-1 Watford
25 Oct 2014 > Reading 3-0 Blackpool
17 Apr 2012 > Reading 1-0 Nottingham Forest
01 Feb 2011 > Cardiff City 2-2 Reading
16 Mar 2010 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
11 Aug 2009 > Reading 5-1 Burton Albion (League Cup)

Historically

Just 25 league games played so far and all of them (except the first two games played way back in 1927/28) have been since 1986.

Of the 12 home games played so far Reading have a slight advantage by 4 wins to 3 with 5 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Sky TV

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by Brian McDermott

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 22:00

Just said on Quest that Bamford`s injury isn`t thought to be serious, whether he is ready for Tuesday is another matter. hopefully not.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 09 Mar 2019 23:51

thanks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 09:02

A draw looks well within the realms of possibility here.

We're in prime Leeds choke territory. Prime Bielsa choke territory, they've just won two games but were on a poor run before that and may be a little complacent about playing little shit Reading now they've 'finished' their shit run. Whilst we're on a high and know this game will be incredibly hard.

Gomes is good at keeping it tight for the most part. Hopefully we dont have another Sheff Utd style come down. It would be awesome to help throw a spanner in the Leeds promotion dream.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2019 11:50

I just worry we’re eeally stretched with the injuries

Had no real options on the bench at 1-2 yesterday other than a straight winger swap

If Moore is out it’s McShane. If Ejaria is out it’s East or Loader. Our front 3 looked pretty blunt without Oli Bod or Baldock

Don’t doubt our desire or spirit but it’s going to be a big ask

Delboy

by Delboy » 10 Mar 2019 12:18

Should we play Gunter instead of Blackett, more defensive but more experienced needed against Leeds

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 14:00

Looking forward to this. We're now 7th in the form table but still on a negative GD from the last 6 games. I'd say a surprise result isn't too far from possible here.

They're better than us but maybe the extra fight we have now and Barrow being in scoring form could make a difference.

I think it's best we go:

----------------Martinez
Yiadom--Miazga--Moore--Blackett
---------------Baker--Kelly?
McCleary------Swift--------Barrow
-------------------Meite

Best I can think of given our options. I presume Ejaria is out for this one. McCleary wasn't great last game so I wouldn't be upset to see Harriott come in for him (who hasn't been bad actually) but I think the extra aerial presence we get with McCleary is more valuable.

Don't change the back 4. Whatever about Gunter being more experienced and Blackett having a clanger in him, the consistency is more important.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2019 16:03

I’d have 100% said bring in Harriott for Barrow up until 89 mins yesterday as thought he was dreadful. But that’s two massive goals in 2 games. Harriott was good yesterday, whilst G had a stinker - but then he’d been very good at Ipswich I believe

So maybe leave as is

Tbh it’s all about who is fit. Moore dislocated his should FFS. Be impressed if he starts Tuesday

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 16:08

Hound I’d have 100% said bring in Harriott for Barrow up until 89 mins yesterday as thought he was dreadful. But that’s two massive goals in 2 games. Harriott was good yesterday, whilst G had a stinker - but then he’d been very good at Ipswich I believe

So maybe leave as is

Tbh it’s all about who is fit. Moore dislocated his should FFS. Be impressed if he starts Tuesday

There was a surprising lack of swelling in the topless photos of him at the full time whistle.
If there's no ligament or muscular damage (which all 3 times I popped my knee I was lucky enough to avoid) then he could be alright but I agree it's unlikely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 16:35

Hound I’d have 100% said bring in Harriott for Barrow up until 89 mins yesterday as thought he was dreadful. But that’s two massive goals in 2 games. Harriott was good yesterday, whilst G had a stinker - but then he’d been very good at Ipswich I believe

So maybe leave as is

I dont like tinkering with the line up because someone has one poor game, or throwing in a sub to start because they have one good game.

Id ask McCleary to prove he can string some more performances together and Harriott to prove he earns the start by putting in another good sub performance. And leave as is.

I like Harriott, what he lacks in skill compared to Barrow he makes up for in sheer hardwork and determination.

Gomes is in charge though so we'll probably see more change on the wings.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Mar 2019 16:49

Can’t see past a comfortable away win. 0-3.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 10 Mar 2019 19:01

CountryRoyal Can’t see past a comfortable away win. 0-3.

At least those of us who go will enjoy the company of the forgiving, cerebral Leeds fans, so unlike the Wigan elite. No doubt there will be a few more of them to share insights with, too.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2019 19:32

Snowflake Royal

So maybe leave as is

I dont like tinkering with the line up because someone has one poor game, or throwing in a sub to start because they have one good game.

Id ask McCleary to prove he can string some more performances together and Harriott to prove he earns the start by putting in another good sub performance. And leave as is.

I like Harriott, what he lacks in skill compared to Barrow he makes up for in sheer hardwork and determination.

Gomes is in charge though so we'll probably see more change on the wings.

+1, I’m not a McCleary fan in the slightest but he played well against Rotherham and well against Ipswich so dropping him after one poor game would be unfair IMO

Don’t think it helped McCleary being shoved around the place mind, he seems to link up well with Blackett but obviously it was barrow on the left for most of it

On a side note, anyone know where kelly was yesterday? Injured or just not fancied

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Mar 2019 19:38

NewCorkSeth

So maybe leave as is

There was a surprising lack of swelling in the topless photos of him at the full time whistle.
If there's no ligament or muscular damage (which all 3 times I popped my knee I was lucky enough to avoid) then he could be alright but I agree it's unlikely.

Saw a picture of Liam after the game with his nipper, he had his arm in a sling. precaution or not. I have no idea.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 20:37

windermereROYAL
NewCorkSeth

So maybe leave as is

Saw a picture of Liam after the game with his nipper, he had his arm in a sling. precaution or not. I have no idea.

Saw that too. I may be clutching at straws but I cant see us being anywhere near as solid at the back (lol) with McShane in instead of Moore.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2019 20:59

Have no idea where Kelly is. Or Richards.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 21:20

I’d be tempted to let Moore miss this game and be fit for Saturday which is a much more realistic game to take points from.
Tom Holmes would be a more than adequate replacement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 21:48

Hound Have no idea where Kelly is. Or Richards.

Kelly picked up a knock last time he played Im sure, but dont know what it was or low long he was supposed to be out.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2019 21:52

Nameless I’d be tempted to let Moore miss this game and be fit for Saturday which is a much more realistic game to take points from.

Holmes struggled on debut last season. I would have preferred Osho ahead of other centre back options but he’s out on loan. Is McIntyre fit? If not I would start with McShane who I think will get the nod anyway.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2019 22:02

Zip
Nameless I’d be tempted to let Moore miss this game and be fit for Saturday which is a much more realistic game to take points from.

Holmes struggled on debut last season. I would have preferred Osho ahead of other centre back options but he’s out on loan. Is McIntyre fit? If not I would start with McShane who I think will get the nod anyway.

Yah, it was the usual rate a player higher than what he should be because it’s his debut and he’s from the academy. Didn’t see McIntyre so can’t comment, osho looked ok but Holmes wasn’t great. Could possibly put yiadom cb and Gunter in at rb if he doesn’t trust McShane/oshea but that’s tinkering too much for my liking

298 posts