BFTG Leeds Home

151 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Leeds Home

by URZZZZ » 13 Mar 2019 19:53

Zip
sandman
Zip That was woeful. Yes Leeds were very good and we were outclassed but we made it so easy for them. When you play a much better side you have to disrupt them and get into their faces. We didn’t and just allowed them all the time in the world. We were also asleep when they took short corners.

Loader needs a loan to a League one side next season and shouldn’t start for the first team again this season. He was very poor. East showed one or two nice touches but his weak clearance resulted in the chance which Hernandez duly took. Yids was the only one who won his personal battles.

I’m struggling to think of many games at this level where we have been so played off the park. Unless we get key players back it’s difficult to see where the points are coming from to keep us safe.

Which League 1 side do you have in mind?

What style do they play?

What type of manager do they have? Is he a progressive manager who is going to give Loader a chance and coach him so he learns things that will develop his career?

Or is he a manager who is under pressure to get results and one or two bad games are going to see Loader sit on someone's bench for 7 or 8 months?

It's alright saying "send him out on loan" but it has to be the right move for him to develop.

What you have just said goes without saying. It is up to our club to ensure he joins a club that will benefit has career progression (obviously).

I think Loader should be given a chance next season. Hopefully, with a pre-season behind him, and new season, new start, the pressure will be off. Besides, we may be in league one ourselves next season

But as for this season, he shouldn't play another second until if/when we are definitely in the division next season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2019 20:00

Don’t disagree with that Urzzz re: Loader

However that’s on condition that we have other fit strikers. With no Bod, Baldock or Oli we prob need him on the bench

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Mar 2019 20:05

URZZZZ
But as for this season, he shouldn't play another second until if/when we are definitely in the division next season

With the squad already threadbare. Who is your suggestion to replace him?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Mar 2019 20:05

Zip
URZZZZ
Denver Royal Sure he can. He started evaluating players the day he got here. Yes, it just so happens on this occasion he was quoted re. the Sheff Utd game specifically, but that doesn't mean he hadn't formed opinion on the player before that, that are weighing in to his decisions now, be that in games, training, or wherever. The fact that he hadn't picked Kelly to start many games before that game would tell you that he doesn't really rate him anyway, and the Sheffield game re-enforced that (in his mind).
Put another way, if he really rated him highly, he'd have been his regular starter in midfield from day 1, and the Sheffield game would be overlooked, i.e. " I didn't like what happened at Sheffield United...but I can forgive that because he's my guy in centre-mid, has been and will be."

It’s a good point but it begs the question why even bother starting him against the cup game at united. In my eyes, he couldn’t have done any better that game - yet he was frozen out after that. If he’d already made his mind up about him, he shouldn’t have been starting that game

Unless there’s an attitude problem behind the scenes? Guess we’ll never find out - just find it strange the way he’s been used when I think he’s suited to the style.

I’m not a Kelly fan but dislike Gomes singling him out especially when very few of our midfielders are playing well. It seems harsh to me. We also don’t know if Kelly has an attitude problem at the moment either.

Well, it was the interviewer who singled out Kelly, by asking Gomes about Kelly specifically. I doubt Gomes even talks about Kelly otherwise. But I agree with the sentiment, Zip, in that he could have worded things better. More wishy-washy answers next time please! :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Mar 2019 20:08

Lower West
URZZZZ

I'm not a fan of playing players out of position but I'd generally rather see a "false 9" or something, even Meite up front and Harriott and McCleary on the wings would suffice, Loader is clearly feeling the pressure and unfortunately, that's come from our fans overhyping him before he'd kicked a ball for the first team IMO

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Mar 2019 20:16

URZZZZ
Lower West
URZZZZ

I'm not a fan of playing players out of position but I'd generally rather see a "false 9" or something, even Meite up front and Harriott and McCleary on the wings would suffice, Loader is clearly feeling the pressure and unfortunately, that's come from our fans overhyping him before he'd kicked a ball for the first team IMO

Yep. I’d add that Harriott deserves a start as well.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Mar 2019 20:54

Zip
URZZZZ
Lower West

Wonder if Harriott is being given plenty of time to rebuild fitness etc after his long lay off. McCleary will be gone in the summer. Younger players at least gain experience for the future.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Mar 2019 21:03

Lower West
Zip
URZZZZ

Wonder if Harriott is being given plenty of time to rebuild fitness etc after his long lay off. McCleary will be gone in the summer. Younger players at least gain experience for the future.

Possibly but he’s been back for a few months so I would have thought he would be match fit by now. I like his aggression and think he has something to offer. GMac is a shadow of the player he once was.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2019 21:08

Denver Royal
URZZZZ 1) If Gomes can't see Blackett walk back after being caught out of position, then I don't know what to say. Either he can't see it or Blackett is blatantly ignoring instructions. It's not necessarily about the quality of the players, it's the quality of the coaching.

2) As for his comments on Kelly, they're truly pathetic, he's judging someone for 18 minutes of football against 3rd in the league, when Martinez passed straight to their player yet others in the team are untouchable

3) Loader wouldn't look out of place in an u13 game. Barrow needs to drop to non-league football along with Swift, both truly abject footballers.

4) Yiadom 5 - few decent runs forward, unfortunately his end product is so bad that it doesn't matter anyway.

5) But a GOOD manager would coach it out of them. Take Leeds. They've had failed manager after failed manager the last few seasons. Bielsa comes in, with the exact same squad as last year and now look at them.

6) I can't warm to Gomes fully yet when the players are doing such stupid basic errors.

1)How do you know Gomes hasn't seen Blackett when he's 5 yards away on sideline? It's more likely the opposite of what you've said, Blackett has been told, but lacks the quality to execute it.
2)How do you know he's judging Kelly solely on that alone? More likely, Gomes has been judging him from the time he set foot in here in Dec, or even before. (Are you saying Martinez should be dropped?)
3)Lolz, 'truly abject' comments.
(Btw, all the Swift bashers out there are fine, (if monotonous), and I could see how he isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, could you all now constructively start identifying any players out there that are better that we could realistically bring in to replace Swift in that role? I'm all for upgrading the team, if we can. Thanks.)
4) Agree, he simply can't find a teammate with a cross. It's quite remarkable.
5) Yep, some managers are better than others. I hailed Bielsa and Leeds in pre-season (and was promptly told by a few they'd rather have Clement).
6)It's more likely that the players are making mistakes because the players aren't good enough. We knew this last Summer when we knew the squad needed a serious upgrade and we had to have a good window. We didn't.

On Kelly, because Gomes specifically mentioned the Sheff game where Kelly went off injured mid-way through the first half.

What else is he talking about?

He wouldnt talk about his performance v Sheffield if it was about attitude or something else would he? He specifically says he's being punished.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2019 21:21

Who would I play upfront ahead of Loader?

Meite, Barrow, McCleary and Harriott. Not to mention the currently injured Oliveira Bodvarsson, Baldock and loaned McNulty and Novakovich

I don't mind Loader getting a shot on the wing ao much. He simply cannot lead the line.

Who would I play at No. 10 ahead of Swift?

Barrow, McCleary, Harriott, the currently injured Ejaria or Baldock.

Who would I play in central midfield ahead of Swift? Literally any defender, midfielder or winger in the senior squad other than O'Shea, McShane, Richards or Barrow. And yes, that includes Kelly or East.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Mar 2019 21:23

Thank fcuk you’re not picking the team then Ian

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2019 21:28

Swift can oxf*rd off. Biggest waste of space since Royston. Total passenger.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Mar 2019 21:32

Swift literally scored in our last match.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Mar 2019 21:55

Snowflake Royal Swift can oxf*rd off. Biggest waste of space since Royston. Total passenger.

:shock:

Play Yiadom at no 10. Has the biggest number of assists this season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Mar 2019 07:59

SCIAG Swift literally scored in our last match.

You are aware there is a lot more to it than scoring goals? The bloke is a midfielder, he has responsibilities within the game to track back, tackle, hold the ball up, pass accurately and have a decent level of fitness. John Swift is a show pony, he is unfit and he is lazy. Can he score the odd free kick here and there? Sure. Have a look at Barry Bannan if you want to see what a complete midfielder is, he does it all. That is waht Swift should aspire to be but instead in his mind he thinks he has made it, he is happy picking up his 10k a week and putting in 5/10 performances. We should get rid in the summer and bring in a younger, fitter and hungrier midfielder.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Mar 2019 08:56

Old Man Andrews
SCIAG Swift literally scored in our last match.

You are aware there is a lot more to it than scoring goals? The bloke is a midfielder, he has responsibilities within the game to track back, tackle, hold the ball up, pass accurately and have a decent level of fitness. John Swift is a show pony, he is unfit and he is lazy. Can he score the odd free kick here and there? Sure. Have a look at Barry Bannan if you want to see what a complete midfielder is, he does it all. That is waht Swift should aspire to be but instead in his mind he thinks he has made it, he is happy picking up his 10k a week and putting in 5/10 performances. We should get rid in the summer and bring in a younger, fitter and hungrier midfielder.

Swift with all his neat touches and flicks, yeah look good but most the time he could pass normally and guarantee it come off. Some one said in the match thread that Swift was playing like he was in the playground and he was the best on the pitch - pretty much sums him up.

Play off season has really gone to a few players head i reckon, they think they are a lot better than they are.
Moore, Swift and Kelly IMO have gone backwards. Moore has improved a lot since Miazga arrived though.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2019 08:57

Lower West
Zip
URZZZZ

Also McCleary's own fitness issues have dictated him playing Sat/Tues/Sat are unlikely and not adviseable.

Harriott's looked good when he's come off the bench and he takes a proper oxf*rd corner too but he's been no better than Loader on the few occasions he's started. As you say also given his injury history it's probably best to ease him back with caution.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Mar 2019 09:06

strap Anyone know why Swift was booked last night on 82 minutes? I'd switched off long before then. No mention made in any report I can find. Thanks in advance.

Dissent, was booked after throwing his hands in the air and saying something

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2019 09:08

Vision
Lower West
Zip

Also McCleary's own fitness issues have dictated him playing Sat/Tues/Sat are unlikely and not adviseable.

Harriott's looked good when he's come off the bench and he takes a proper oxf*rd corner too but he's been no better than Loader on the few occasions he's started. As you say also given his injury history it's probably best to ease him back with caution.

Harriott does seem a good 'super-sub'. Agree his best appearances have nearly always been from the bench

I'd be happy enough to start McCleary - Meite - Barrow for a few weeks if no one else comes back from fitness

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Mar 2019 09:09

Snowflake Royal Swift can oxf*rd off. Biggest waste of space since Royston. Total passenger.

Wow, you've really outdone yourself there.

151 posts