BFTG - The miracle of Carrow Road.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - The miracle of Carrow Road.

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 10:49

slight tangent, but we've had some massive moments in the last couple of minutes this season

Barrow and Meite vs Wigan
Rino vs Norwich
Baldock vs Villa
Barrow vs Stoke
Barrow vs Ipswich
Oli vs Blackburn (slightly earlier at 85m)
Bacuna vs Preston

and on the negative
McNulty pen miss vs Leeds
Rotherham away
Bolton away
Derby home
Brentford away

All of them massively important one way or the other

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 10:50

Hendo
From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews He was a prick the whole game, going on about our time wasting and sitting back behind the ball as if we were meant to go there and make it nice and open for top of the league Norwich.

And yet, ex Norwich player Dean Ashton on the highlights on Quest praises us for executing a game plan and having spirit and fight. He also criticised Norwich for thinking the game was won when they took the lead, describing their goal celebrations as "embarassing".

I like Dean Ashton, shame he got such a bad injury as he was a decent player.

NewCorkSeth
Don't Panic
Miazga, 6'4" I think, when you say tall-ish, just how tall are you thinking?

Millwall have a CB who is 6ft6 or 6ft7 depending on the source. Maybe give him a look?

:roll:

Can't even compare MM to JC, they are worlds apart in terms of overall footballing ability.

Met MM after the Preston game as he was MoTM and I can assure you he is pushing 6ft 5"/6ft 6". This is coming from someone who is on the tall side as well.

Oh dont mind me. I just like bringing up Cooper whenever possible.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2019 10:50

Hendo
From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews He was a prick the whole game, going on about our time wasting and sitting back behind the ball as if we were meant to go there and make it nice and open for top of the league Norwich.

And yet, ex Norwich player Dean Ashton on the highlights on Quest praises us for executing a game plan and having spirit and fight. He also criticised Norwich for thinking the game was won when they took the lead, describing their goal celebrations as "embarassing".

NewCorkSeth
Don't Panic

Millwall have a CB who is 6ft6 or 6ft7 depending on the source. Maybe give him a look?

Can't even compare MM to JC, they are worlds apart in terms of overall footballing ability.

Met MM after the Preston game as he was MoTM and I can assure you he is pushing 6ft 5"/6ft 6". This is coming from someone who is on the tall side as well.

Exactly. You just have to see Miazga play to see that he's a bloody giant. :roll:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 10:54

leon
Hendo
From Despair To Where?

NewCorkSeth Millwall have a CB who is 6ft6 or 6ft7 depending on the source. Maybe give him a look?

Exactly. You just have to see Miazga play to see that he's a bloody giant. :roll:

Right. To be clear it want me who thought Miazga wasnt tall enough in case people start thinking it is.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2019 11:06

NewCorkSeth
leon
Hendo

Right. To be clear it want me who thought Miazga wasnt tall enough in case people start thinking it is.

:lol:

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Apr 2019 12:25

followed the end of that in a Leeds Travelodge. Sweet extra point and bouyed by everyone else stacking it, give or take.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Apr 2019 13:14

Just read the player ratings in the local Eastern Daily Press up here.

Moore got a 6 - 'baffled by Pukki movement' and Miazga also a 6 - 'struggled on the floor.' Most of our other players got a 7.

While their captain Zimmerman, who admittedly had a good game and scored a goal but had little defending to do, got an 8.

All their other players got a 7.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Apr 2019 14:12

Hound slight tangent, but we've had some massive moments in the last couple of minutes this season

Barrow and Meite vs Wigan
Rino vs Norwich
Baldock vs Villa
Barrow vs Stoke
Barrow vs Ipswich
Oli vs Blackburn (slightly earlier at 85m)
Bacuna vs Preston

and on the negative
McNulty pen miss vs Leeds
Rotherham away
Bolton away
Derby home
Brentford away

All of them massively important one way or the other

I was thinking this today. So many late goals. It’s a very good sign for a team fighting relegation that we are now getting so many late goals.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 Apr 2019 14:45

I was really impressed with Blackett last night aswell. He has come a long long way in the last 6 months. have we tied him down to a contract yet or is he still out at the end of the season. I doubt he is on a massive wedge and has become a really reliable defender.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 15:18

linkenholtroyal I was really impressed with Blackett last night aswell. He has come a long long way in the last 6 months. have we tied him down to a contract yet or is he still out at the end of the season. I doubt he is on a massive wedge and has become a really reliable defender.

I'm sure that 2019 end date stuff isnt true. Our official website states he signed a 4 year contract when he arrived.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2019 15:28

NewCorkSeth
linkenholtroyal I was really impressed with Blackett last night aswell. He has come a long long way in the last 6 months. have we tied him down to a contract yet or is he still out at the end of the season. I doubt he is on a massive wedge and has become a really reliable defender.

I'm sure that 2019 end date stuff isnt true. Our official website states he signed a 4 year contract when he arrived.

Think the 2019 stuff comes from the Transfermarkt site, which whilst good is terrible when it comes to contract end dates. Has Kelly down as 2019 as well when he is signed til 2020.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Apr 2019 15:33

NewCorkSeth
Don't Panic
Denver Royal Yeah, doubt we ‘controlled and held them’ at any point really? Could have been 5-1 or more if I’m honest. Fine margins. I’ll watch it again, as I often do, but can’t fault the effort either way.
McCleary disappointing, step slow, even vs tired legs.
Blackett, tweener LB, stiff & too far off his man, tho his height really helps in this side.
Baker, player in there, but needs better team around him, a la Swift.
Rino, great goal for us and him.
Miazga, has done really well, but think we could sign a tall-ish CB?
Meite, they are bringing him along well in Champ, Oli has influenced.

Don't Panic, all I'm saying there is that if we don't sign Miazga (and a few have said its unlikely) then maybe we could go out and find another tall CB to partner Moore (as we did with Miazga).
And in terms of 'loanee priorities', think it may be easier to find another CB than it is to find a Martinez or OIi.
We talked about this the other week, but if you would employ and assign a different priority and strategy with regard to the loanees (with the understanding we won't sign all five of them), then that's fine.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 11 Apr 2019 15:49, edited 2 times in total.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 Apr 2019 15:34

Stranded
NewCorkSeth

Think the 2019 stuff comes from the Transfermarkt site, which whilst good is terrible when it comes to contract end dates. Has Kelly down as 2019 as well when he is signed til 2020.

I hope so would be gutting to see a player just come good and he leaves on a free.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Apr 2019 15:40

Stranded
royal_rumble
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Gomes' tactics

Spot on it seems. 5 at the back, a pacey and a strong player up front who caused them havoc when they had the chance. At 2-2 we hand it to him as a brilliant stroke of genius. BUT at 2-1 I was cursing him for doing the same old bullshit of trying to hold onto 1-0. How many times have we seen this before? Far far too many times, trying to hold on only for us to eventually concede in the dying minutes. Yet we've also see that when we have nothing to lose and try and attack we seem to manage it. Attack is another form of defence, and had it ended 2-1 I'd have said he got that tried and failed tactic of holding onto a lead completely wrong. But as it happens he go a point and we'll be calling him a genius.

This.

We could and probably should have lost this game because of the tactics in the second half.. much the same as Hull. Having 2 (at times) up top left us exposed, neither Meite or Barrow touched the ball for about 20 mins and we weren't even getting the ball to the half way line before they were coming again with another attack. It left us tired and exposed (not faulting the players effort!)

Hopefully Gomes will pause and reflect on his in game management. Good set up initially, but needs to react better.

Not sure what else he could have done to change it - maybe pull Barrow off for a more defensive player and go 5-4-1? It was working and Norwich weren't really creating any chances of note - Martinez made what 1 save from Pukki and they hit the post from distance. The defence was coping with everything and their equaliser was a great hit came when one of the 2 forward players came back in (Meite) meaning the CB could move forward without worrying about being caught on the break. Even then when a CB hits a shot like that 9 times out of 10 they will fly harmlessly over.

The 2nd was just one player switching off at a corner to give their man a free header. The team nearly executed the plan to perfection - just one screamer turned the game but the belief to fight back can't be faulted.

The stats suggest otherwise. Wave after wave of attacks, missed chances, good saves, last minute blocks. The only logical conclusion to that is eventually one of those will go in. It happens almost every time. It's just a question of time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 16:20

linkenholtroyal
Stranded
NewCorkSeth I'm sure that 2019 end date stuff isnt true. Our official website states he signed a 4 year contract when he arrived.

I hope so would be gutting to see a player just come good and he leaves on a free.

I dont think we would have rejected 450k in January from Iwgan if his contract was up. At least I hope we wouldn't..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 16:22

Stranded
NewCorkSeth

Planet football obviously use Trabsfermarkt as they listed both as free agents this summer.

Although Football Manager also have Blackett with a 2019 finish date. They're not usually wrong.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Apr 2019 16:26

Blackett was signed summer 2016 on a 3 year contract.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 16:28

CountryRoyal Blackett was signed summer 2016 on a 3 year contract.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/first ... -blackett/

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 11 Apr 2019 16:43

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Don't Panic Miazga, 6'4" I think, when you say tall-ish, just how tall are you thinking?

Don't Panic, all I'm saying there is that if we don't sign Miazga (and a few have said its unlikely) then maybe we could go out and find another tall CB to partner Moore (as we did with Miazga).
And in terms of 'loanee priorities', think it may be easier to find another CB than it is to find a Martinez or OIi.
We talked about this the other week, but if you would employ and assign a different priority and strategy with regard to the loanees (with the understanding we won't sign all five of them), then that's fine.

Wasn't having a go, just didn't get the original point. Agree, it would be easier to find another CB than a Martinez or quality striker like Oli, but in an ideal world I would keep all 3. I think it would be easier to replace Baker / Ejaria out of the 5, along with Eza, midfielders seem to abound at the moment.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Apr 2019 16:48

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal Blackett was signed summer 2016 on a 3 year contract.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/first ... -blackett/

Oh that’s strange I was going by this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37157280