BFTG - Brentford

168 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Brentford

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Apr 2019 18:05

Really enjoyed the first 40 min of that, then a cheap free kick and a goal keeping howler and the second half was tense as hell.

We really attacked with power and purpose at times, and also did better at winning the ball back than we have been in ages.

Should have been 3 or 4 up by the time they scored (that miss from Barrow 8) ), but the second half was about them attacking well (but not finishing) and us defending well.

Eja, Meite, Baker, Rhino, Gunter all played well

…. Another point and we're safe I reckon
Last edited by John Madejski's Wallet on 13 Apr 2019 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by Hound » 13 Apr 2019 18:07

We defended well and still by far the better chances second half

Baker motm. Rapidly becoming central to the team. He is a superb player, huge talent. Not sure why it hasn’t worked for him elsewhere

Brentford really didn’t threaten a lot despite the possession. Should really have been 3 or 4-1

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2019 18:08

Yeah, the last two games have been one in the eye for the Gunter hunters

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2019 18:09

Agree Gunter was excellent again

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Apr 2019 18:09

Is there any chance of us keeping these loanees? Baker, Eja and Rhino make a great midfield 3

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Apr 2019 18:15

John Madejski's Wallet Is there any chance of us keeping these loanees? Baker, Eja and Rhino make a great midfield 3

Ejaria motm for me......it worries me that these loanees who have all been good for us are going back to their clubs at the end of the season and we will be back to square 1.
If we stay up it will be interesting to see our dealings this summer.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2019 18:21

Ascotexgunner
John Madejski's Wallet Is there any chance of us keeping these loanees? Baker, Eja and Rhino make a great midfield 3

Ejaria motm for me......it worries me that these loanees who have all been good for us are going back to their clubs at the end of the season and we will be back to square 1.
well, we know what kind of player that we need to thrive, it’s up to the owners now.

Like Miazga, they will return to their parent clubs, be loaned out once again (no-doubt) to one of our opponents...and will stand little chance of progressing into the Prem.
It’s down to the players to want* to play for Reading next season

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Apr 2019 18:23

Ascotexgunner

Not square 1 per se. Gomes has improved players like Blackett, Barrow, Meite and Moore. We obviously need to make additions and I would take all 6 loanees in a heartbeat (Martinez has no chance of coming imo)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Apr 2019 18:38

The loanees can all do better than us and I can only see Oliveira signing on a perm due to the agreement in place already. Hope I'm wrong though, would love them all to be here in August but just can't see it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Apr 2019 18:41

Despite my reservations about Gomes tactical awareness. Gomes comes across as a great man manager. Biggest improvement is the atmosphere. The cohesive spirit that bonds the players to the terraces is growing with every game. Kelly's lack of game time shows he's not afraid to make tough decisions either. 3 more points and we'll be safe.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2019 18:43

Why do they have to make things so difficult for themselves and us? If I looked back at a replay of the game I'd probably wonder what I was worried about in terms of actual chances. However, watching that ball bounce around our box was nerve racking.

The Referee was awful. They wouldn't have had the free kick they scored from if he had blown for the obvious free kick we should have been given up the other end.

Martinez - Didn't have a whole lot to do but the mistake for the goal really put us under pressure. 5

Yiadom - Started off shaky but improved. 7
Moore - Brave performance again. Won his headers and helped keep Maupay fairly quiet. 7
Miazga - Same as Moore really. Towering presence. 7
Gunter - Another good display. Defensively sound. Might be a sign of the apocalypse if he has three in a row. 7

Baker - Getting better and better. Smart play on the ball and off. Nice free kick assist. 8 MotM.
Ejaria - Good display although put us under pressure in the second half trying to play his way out. Kept possession well. 7
Rinomhota - Not quite at his best. 6

Barrow - Nice through ball for the first but missed an absolute sitter that would have made it 3-0. 6
Meite - Ran his socks off as usual. Took both goals well and was a handful. 8

Oliveira - Still not at the races. Should have scored from a few yards our but blazed over. 6

Subs:

McCleary - Worked hard. Could have been through on goal but pace let him down. 6
Harriott - Made a nuisance of himself. 5
Blackett - N/A.
Last edited by sandman on 13 Apr 2019 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2019 18:45

Well... I have quite a few thoughts on this one and expect a few to be unpopular. :lol:

Thought we started extremely well, but faded a little after about 30 minutes. Brentford looked a decent team who were already on the beach until things started getting feisty in the last 20 minutes when they clearly actually really wanted it.

I thought we were almost the masters of our own downfall, with the tactic to have the front three be fairly fluid disrupting the great rhythm we started with and leaving us a bit disjointed after about 30 minutes. Meite was getting a lot of joy on the right and Oliveira doing well up top. Then they all moved around a bit and it just didn't quite work.

Martinez - 7 I was just thinking how he was way too good for us when he juggled a shot into the path of their goalscorer. Whoops.
Yiadom - 7 did well but could do with better decisions in attack
Gunter - 7 some crucial stuff, but sprinted at his man from miles away half a dozen times and got done every one... it's like Gomes has told him he has to get tighter, but he still starts miles away and doesn't know how to close distance.
Moore - 8 solid as a rock
Miazga - 8 really like him
Baker - 8 really growing on me and seems to be enjoying himself
Rino - 7 mixed bag, mostly excellent but very loose sometimes and I think gave away the ball cheaply that led to the foul I think he gave away that led to the goal, but wrong end of the pitch for me.
Ejaria - 6 some very nice play, and he gets stuck in, but he gave it away very cheaply a lot
Meite - 9 plays that inside forward role brilliantly.
Barrow - 7 pretty solid, but could have scored
Oliveira - simultaneously 8 and 4, he's totally quality, but he missed a chance, tackled one of his team mates, didn't play in others in good situations at least once or twice and didnt leave the ball to Meite who was in with a decent shout of hitting his hat trick. He's so strong and determined though, and unbelievably inventive with such great improvisation with his flicks and tricks.

GMac - 7 Good stuff as usual
Harriott - 6 needs to be a bit cleverer, but what an engine and enthusiasm.
Blackett - 7 solid

Felt like a game we should have won comfortably but nearly let slip through our fingers. Fantastic battling display and some really good attacking stuff, particularly early on.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 13 Apr 2019 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2019 18:48

They won’t all come here

But take both Miazga and Baker. Had 2 poor loans earlier in the season, come to a club local to them, loved by the fans and central to the team. Team has picked up points and if we stay up could certainly challenge for the POs next season

If we can afford them, why wouldn’t they come?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 13 Apr 2019 18:50

I thought we really looked like a team, players playing in the right position and doing the right thing and the results were coming.

Shame about the late goal before HT but otherwise we were comfortable.

I think we'll stay up and this team spirit will flow into next season, I'd like to sign pretty well all of the loanees they have really turned around the shambles that came before them

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 13 Apr 2019 18:51

Lower West Despite my reservations about Gomes tactical awareness. Gomes comes across as a great man manager. Biggest improvement is the atmosphere. The cohesive spirit that bonds the players to the terraces is growing with every game. Kelly's lack of game time shows he's not afraid to make tough decisions either. 3 more points and we'll be safe.

Indeed. Didn’t get the McCleary substitution. Great to survive the usual 47th to 85th minute slump without conceding.

Must watch replay to see how Barrow missed.

And to the four or five unusually obnoxious Bees fans in the bus queue, I wish you Happy Millwall.
Last edited by Singing Defective on 13 Apr 2019 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Apr 2019 18:53

Just seen the Barrow miss, looks like he couldn't sort his feet out, pretty awful.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2019 18:55

Not totally fit

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 13 Apr 2019 19:02

Hound They won’t all come here

But take both Miazga and Baker. Had 2 poor loans earlier in the season, come to a club local to them, loved by the fans and central to the team. Team has picked up points and if we stay up could certainly challenge for the POs next season

If we can afford them, why wouldn’t they come?

https://twitter.com/ChronCourtney/statu ... 6660295680

Courtney Friday
‏@ChronCourtney
1h1 hour ago
Breaking: Matt Miazga tells me he’s keeping his options open this summer and hasn’t ruled out a move to #readingfc

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Apr 2019 19:08

We have no chance, Miazga can do a lot better and is way more ambitious than us surely. He's here to put himself in the shop window and has done. Can see him at a newly promoted side in the Premier League next season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Apr 2019 19:16

Wouldn't be surprised if Norwich came in for Martinez after the other night, , the keeper they have now is nowhere near PL standard.

168 posts