Which of the loanees would you prioritise?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Which of the loanees would you prioritise?

by Zip » 25 Apr 2019 21:11

URZZZZ And this isn't forgetting some of the flops in 2016 like Weiser, Rakels, Gravenberch, Mendes (sorry), even the likes of Evans (slightly harsh because he did feature a bit but I just didn't see a thing that he brought) and Harriott

Yeah, a transfer is always a risk but generally would estimate we've had about 20 real flops in three seasons, including loans which is just an awful waste of wages and money. Shame because we never used to be a club like that, we were always cautious and sensible with transfer dealings which generally brought around successes

2018 was very poor but at least the signings were not financially crippling.
2016 was pretty good. Moore and Swift will make the club plenty of money and Blackett has been ok. Beerens was decent in his first season too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2019 21:17

I agree with the point about Adkins. He certainly wasn’t a flop in my eyes. He was well and truly shafted. His track record is impressive and he is turning Hull around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2019 12:36

URZZZZ Was 2017 worse than 2018 though?

Yeah we signed some real wasters like Popa, Mutch, Clement etc but at least the "flops" in Ilori and Aluko still had the occasional good game. This season's signings, Walker, Meyler, O'Shea, Sims, McNulty etc have had about 5 good games between them, albeit most through lack of chances. A dreadful two years of business

But by comparison have cost peanuts.

Aluko may have had a few good games, but he had as many stinkers as Sims, Meyler and McNulty combined. And then some. And he cost about 5 times as much.

And the damage the likes of Aluko did to our finances directly influenced the quality problems we had with last summer's signings, we had no money left.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2019 15:35

URZZZZ
Hound he won't want to come back, and I'm pretty sure he won't be seen in a Reading shirt again

May well be another loan to a SPL club - maybe Hibs again. Not sure they have £1m+ to spend on him

Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Coventry again

Been treated awfully here and would like to see him again but doubt it will happen

bit on McNulty - again suggests unlikely to hang around here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48068441

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2019 16:55

Not an inference I'd have taken from that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2019 17:33

Manager who trusts me?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Apr 2019 15:49

Snowflake Royal Not an inference I'd have taken from that.

The "they" is very telling though.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Apr 2019 17:25

URZZZZ Was 2017 worse than 2018 though? A dreadful two years of business

Well, much of this has been discussed before at length, with the same points and opinions being repeated. There's not too much new being said, which hasn't already been said.

Aluko (who the manager didn't really want) was a bust. We know that, we have said so, and we can't change it now.

But re. your question, those two windows involved different club strategies. In the '17 window we had just finished 3rd, so there was temptation/pressure for the club to push on and go one better. With that in mind, I wasn't shocked that we'd spend more money in that window accordingly. Which isn't to say I agreed with everything, but I wasn't surprised when they spent money. (Although of course, I was disappointed with the results. But again, we can't go back and change it now).

The '18 window should have been more straightforward and familiar for us as a club. (We had finished 17th and 19th the 2 seasons prior to the 16-17 season, for example).

McNulty, to me, came as advertised. An old-fashioned workhorse CF, and for him to excel he'd need to play a lot of games/minutes to get in, and stay in, game shape, get up to game speed and get in a rhythm. He's not really a flashy eye-catching pacey skillful game- changing impact sub you throw on for the last 10 mins. I’d love to know what they subsequently discovered about him that they didn't know before.

Clarke/Adkins, yes, rarely discussed in here, relatively speaking. These days it's as if Reading's history started in 2016. That’s the timeline that is usually referenced back to and it’s as if nothing much came before that.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Apr 2019 17:47

URZZZZ And this isn't forgetting some of the flops in 2016 like Weiser, Rakels, Gravenberch, Mendes (sorry), even the likes of Evans (slightly harsh because he did feature a bit but I just didn't see a thing that he brought) and Harriott

Pretty difficult to call Harriott or Evans flops, both good players who we signed for small fees and contributed a lot here. We probably made a tidy profit on Evans too.

The others were all free transfers. In simple terms, you don't get big successes like Sonko, Doyle, and Long unless you accept that a lot of your cheap gambles won't come off - remember Obinna, Baradji, Dobson, and Aaron Brown? Like those players, this lot won't have been on big money and on average they probably paid for themselves from their small but important contributions on the pitch (e.g. Mendes' goals getting us into the playoffs).