BFTG - Bristol City

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2019 11:40

Congratulations to Gomes for finding a way not to lose away from home.
Our 5 man (then 6 when McIntyre came on) defence and reliance on a quick break or two or a set piece means that we have taken the 2 points from 2 difficult away games to (probably) keep us up.

It has been dire stuff to watch but needs must.
Next comes the really big job of assembling a side for next season-getting all the loanees plus a left-back would be a good start but, regrettably, we may not get all 5 but I would be happy with the keeper, centre-back and striker.
The 2 midfielders have done well but maybe not as well as the other 3-the other Chalobah might be an option there..

I forgot about Eza-who knows where his future lies and would he be fit enough to take a chance on?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2019 11:48

Victor Meldrew Congratulations to Gomes for finding a way not to lose away from home.
Our 5 man (then 6 when McIntyre came on) defence and reliance on a quick break or two or a set piece means that we have taken the 2 points from 2 difficult away games to (probably) keep us up.

Next comes the really big job of assembling a side for next season-getting all the loanees plus a left-back would be a good start but, regrettably, we may not get all 5 but I would be happy with the keeper, centre-back and striker.
The 2 midfielders have done well but maybe not as well as the other 3-the other Chalobah might be an option there..

I forgot about Eza-who knows where his future lies and would he be fit enough to take a chance on?

Vic. We are unbeaten since Gunts returned to the side. This must please you.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2019 11:57

Vision
Hound It does seem the impressive last 20 are maybe not totally reflective of the full game tbf

Think it goes back to the point RR made about how we struggled to retain possession.

The two occasions we've played this formation we haven't had our best "hold up" player in Oliveira available. He had a frustrating game but the moment he came on the pitch we had our best spell of possession in the game. Meite and Barrow have their strengths but it doen't really lie in any possession based strategy. They're suited (and pretty successful) at very quick breakaways directly in behind defences so as such careful possession isn't really what we're going for.

The difference in the dynamic of the team is obvious when Oliveira is on the pitch. It's also why on SCIAG's "which loanees would you priories?" thread anyone moving Oliveira down the priority list and citing the availability of Baldock and Bod as the reason are comparing apples with oranges to large degree.

But that's a whole other discussion ;-)

Good post.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Apr 2019 12:01

windermereROYAL I`m still pretty hacked off why their guy never got a red card on the stretcher, disgusting chest high tackle. too much sentiment from the ref.

Reading the Bristol forums the City fans watching online said he should have been sent offf. The ref bottled it because he was on a stretcher. One even said why are those idiots booing the Reading player he did nothing wrong!

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Apr 2019 12:59

Hound I think that comes with the territory with Nelson

Everyone knows he is a selfish striker. When and if he scores 20 in a season no one will care.

Suppose it all depends if Gomes feels we have enough goals in the squad without signing him permanently. And depends on his views re Novakovich, who looks a very mobile striker. And depends on where he sees Meite’s best position going forwards.

Personally I wouldn’t take the risk, and would prefer to sign Nelson. To have Méïté Nelson & Novakovich (sell the rest) would be ideal. Having said that, now Novakovich is a regular starter playing at a decent level, would he be happy playing 2nd/3rd fiddle to others? I doubt it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Apr 2019 14:49

Greatwesternline
Snowball Oliveira has a rep for selfishness

I wonder if long term he is a problem in the changing room?

Agreed. If you look for it when watching him, he rarely passes to others, when he celebrates he runs off on his own. Not entirely convinced he's keeper.

I certainly don't fancy him taking over from Martinez.

I'll get my coat.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 20 Apr 2019 14:55

Platypuss
LWJ Not sure it was a red, I actually thought EJari fouled him. Certainly looked like ejari slipped into the challenge which made it bad.

Ref missed some obvious yellows, for both teams.

Ejaria slipped because he was ankle tapped by Pack. If he hadn't slipped and gone lower, Smith's boot would have caught him in the chest.

Yellow as a very minimum - out of control, running onto a bouncing ball with boot high.

I'd like to see it again tbf

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Apr 2019 16:40

LWJ
Platypuss
LWJ Not sure it was a red, I actually thought EJari fouled him. Certainly looked like ejari slipped into the challenge which made it bad.

Ref missed some obvious yellows, for both teams.

Ejaria slipped because he was ankle tapped by Pack. If he hadn't slipped and gone lower, Smith's boot would have caught him in the chest.

Yellow as a very minimum - out of control, running onto a bouncing ball with boot high.

Me too. Anyone found a clip?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2019 17:20

:D
Zip
Victor Meldrew Congratulations to Gomes for finding a way not to lose away from home.

Vic. We are unbeaten since Gunts returned to the side. This must please you.

:D :D
He made sure it was only one point at Bristol instead of 3. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Apr 2019 18:32

Think you'll find that was Blackett. Every other cross that came in got defended.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 20 Apr 2019 18:50

My observations:

:arrow: Starting with the most important. When it’s hot and sunny Reading fans, WEAR SOME oxf*rd DEODORANT! Absolutely stank in the away end
:arrow: Gunter was poor, Blackett looked scared again. It’s weird, I was convinced Blackett was a left sided centre back in a 3 and nothing else (although a great crosser of the ball). Therefore, why not play Blackett Moore Miazga, with Yids right and Gunter left? Anyway...
:arrow: Meite was poor other than the goal, Oliveira was absolutely shocking when he came on. Really needs match fitness, perhaps (obviously I guess) that’s why he didn’t start
:arrow: Miazga was immense, but played very very deep. It’s actually a decent away game strategy
:arrow: GMac was great when he came on, but oh how we miss his pace. If he was 4 years younger and fitter, we’d have scored more in those closing minutes.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2019 19:15

Am I really 3 pages in and not a single discussion of our frankly stunning free kick routine? That was a thing of beauty.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 20 Apr 2019 19:52

PistolPete My observations:

:arrow: Starting with the most important. When it’s hot and sunny Reading fans, WEAR SOME oxf*rd DEODORANT! Absolutely stank in the away end
:arrow: Gunter was poor, Blackett looked scared again. It’s weird, I was convinced Blackett was a left sided centre back in a 3 and nothing else (although a great crosser of the ball). Therefore, why not play Blackett Moore Miazga, with Yids right and Gunter left? Anyway...
:arrow: Meite was poor other than the goal, Oliveira was absolutely shocking when he came on. Really needs match fitness, perhaps (obviously I guess) that’s why he didn’t start
:arrow: Miazga was immense, but played very very deep. It’s actually a decent away game strategy
:arrow: GMac was great when he came on, but oh how we miss his pace. If he was 4 years younger and fitter, we’d have scored more in those closing minutes.

Heard Olivera was suffering from a virus but still put himself forward. Not been at his best last 2 games but can't fault him for commitment to the cause

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Apr 2019 20:05

Stranded Am I really 3 pages in and not a single discussion of our frankly stunning free kick routine? That was a thing of beauty.

Yeah good shout.

Was funny because coincidentally enough as they set up I genuinely actually thought to myself “it’s a shame we’re just going to put it into the box I don’t know why we don’t do more training ground set pieces”. It was so well disguised I don’t think anyone in the ground could tell what was going to happen. Absolutely wonderful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2019 20:12

Yes it was great, excellent move

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Apr 2019 21:12

NewCorkSeth
LWJ
Platypuss

https://streamable.com/xpy15

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Apr 2019 21:42

Platypuss
NewCorkSeth
LWJ I'd like to see it again tbf

Cheers Plat. Seems a red yeah. Slow mo makes it look worse.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Apr 2019 23:06

NewCorkSeth
Platypuss
NewCorkSeth Me too. Anyone found a clip?

Cheers Plat. Seems a red yeah. Slow mo makes it look worse.

It looked fcuking awful from the stand but admittedly wasn’t the best view. That has confirmed it. Absolutely shocking Ovi is lucky he wasn’t seriously hurt. Fcuk the Bristol city pcunt he deserves to be injured for that awful reckless challenge. Ref was a complete melt how’s he not sent him off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2019 07:09

Red card all day long.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2019 08:41

It’s funny but I see it differently to many.

I felt we were by far the better team and deserved to win.

It’s not necessarily the case that we were amazing but they were very poor (or we made them look very poor). They offered nothing and the equaliser really came out of nowhere.

It seems to me that we really are a quite good team now when you think about it. Our battling away draw against the top of the table team and a well-deserved comfortable away draw against a play-off team. A solid home win against a mid table side.

We are a playoff chasing team dumped in the wrong end of the table.