BFTG - Baggies

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Baggies

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2019 08:11

Snowball
Stranded
3points Thought it was very telling to bring on Loader instead of Baldock or McCleary that early in the game. Shows how Gomes is thinking of the future. Also a massive kick in the teeth for Baldock who surely will now be shipped out in the summer.

My view on this was that the injury happened so early it would have been too early to introduce Baldock. He's only just back from injury and was clearly on the bench in case we needed something different in the last 30 mins. To bring him on after 5 mins would have almost undoubtedly meant he would have had to have been substituted after 60 or 70 mins, Loader was the obvious choice to bring on being the other striker on the bench.

I thought he did OK - absolutely needs a goal in "mens" football and did have a couple of chances, you could tell from his reaction after he put a header straight at the keeper that he should have done better and if that had been a game against WBA U23s he probably would have done.

I think he'll come good.

But the bad miss was his free-shot before the header. I was right behind the goal. It was a "can't miss" moment. He had the whole goal to aim at and shot almost straight at the keep and at a good height.

Was that the one from around the edge of the area? If so, yes I was expecting to see the ball nestle in the corner but I think he had to get it out from under his feet first so ended up hitting the shot in a bit of a rush hence lost direction.

I also think he'll come good, but I do feel that maybe 6 months at say Charlton (or another top 10 L1 side) would do him the world of good - as he is one of our own maybe a little bit of time developing away from the club will help.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 08:13

Snowball
Stranded
3points Thought it was very telling to bring on Loader instead of Baldock or McCleary that early in the game. Shows how Gomes is thinking of the future. Also a massive kick in the teeth for Baldock who surely will now be shipped out in the summer.

My view on this was that the injury happened so early it would have been too early to introduce Baldock. He's only just back from injury and was clearly on the bench in case we needed something different in the last 30 mins. To bring him on after 5 mins would have almost undoubtedly meant he would have had to have been substituted after 60 or 70 mins, Loader was the obvious choice to bring on being the other striker on the bench.

I thought he did OK - absolutely needs a goal in "mens" football and did have a couple of chances, you could tell from his reaction after he put a header straight at the keeper that he should have done better and if that had been a game against WBA U23s he probably would have done.

I think he'll come good.

But the bad miss was his free-shot before the header. I was right behind the goal. It was a "can't miss" moment. He had the whole goal to aim at and shot almost straight at the keep and at a good height.

Although Ejaria had a much simpler chance and didn’t even get a clean strike on the ball despite being unchallenged. It happens. Loader’s all round game has come on well this season, he’s stronger and works hard. People forget he is still only 18.....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Apr 2019 08:24

I was right behind the goal in the ED Stand (usually Upper West)

Shocked at how different the game looks (and sounds) from there
(esp as I could see nothing at the far end except a crossbar!!!)

Got to understand how we play a lot more.

Surprised how often Moore and Miazga were in different counties.

Moore is a real fireball. Don't know the game's stats but he seemed to
win a lot more headers etc.

Having said that I could see Miazga maturing into a very decent Premiership CB.
He was so cool and calm.

Got to see so many "trusting" inter-passing to get out of trouble at the back. Found
that impressive. Miazga, Yiadom and A N Other.

Noticeable how often McCleary pressured wide defenders and won a few balls

Though (second half) WBA had their chances. I don't think they got into our box in the first quarter
of the game. (Then they had two shots from edge of the box, both saved by Martinez - the first was
a bit Hollywood)...

I think had WBA gone for it for the 90 minutes it would have been 3-3. Don't think we were ever
going to give this one up.

And that's what I REALLY like about this (frankly) brand-new Reading FC. It fights, it harries,
it WANTS it more. I have enjoyed this season, and it keeps getting better, which is the key.

I expect we will lose Swift, Moore, for the money and lowered wage bill but I trust Gomes
to bring in some good guys (probably Portugese)

It may be too much to hope for top six next year, but I certainly expect top ten
and I wouldn't be shocked to see as flirt with the play-offs

The atmosphere in the EDS was great. Those clapper thingies WORK

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 08:31

Snowball I expect we will lose Swift, Moore, for the money and lowered wage bill but I trust Gomes

Why? nothing to remotely suggest that will be happening. Seemingly the club want hungry young players from big Premier League clubs on loan, thats the new transfer policy. Nigel Howe eluded to this yesterday during an interview and hailed it as a success, it won't change I wouldn't have thought.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Apr 2019 08:39

Old Man Andrews
Snowball I expect we will lose Swift, Moore, for the money and lowered wage bill but I trust Gomes

Why? nothing to remotely suggest that will be happening. Seemingly the club want hungry young players from big Premier League clubs on loan, thats the new transfer policy. Nigel Howe eluded to this yesterday during an interview and hailed it as a success, it won't change I wouldn't have thought.

The loan limit will decide. We will have to bring in permanents as well as loanees

I would be staggered to see two loanee CBs for example.

So if we sell Moore (90% likely IMO) we will buy a replacement.

May well buy a replacement for Swift if he goes.
I think he was definitely going, but his injury makes that slightly murky

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 09:04

Old Man Andrews

Looks like we may have started a nice little relationship with Chelsea which will be very beneficial for both. They must be delighted with us. If they can send us a couple more like Miazga, Baker or Reece James next year, will be very useful.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:12

Snowball
Old Man Andrews

The loan limit will decide. We will have to bring in permanents as well as loanees

What makes you so sure Moore will go when any available evidence says he won’t.
Not saying he won’t but the evidence is against him leaving.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:14

Nameless
Snowball
Old Man Andrews

Because he is a huge earner and commands a huge transfer fee. Selling him and Swift would see us back on an even keel.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Apr 2019 09:15

Really good game I thought, as entertaining a 0-0 as I can remember - although much of that probably owed to the atmosphere which was fantastic.

Small gripe - disappointed with the reaction to Loader both in the ground and on here after. The guy is 18 years old ffs, clearly has plenty of developing to do however his record both in the academy and for England youth teams shows that he has the quality. What he needs now is the confidence to go out there and do his thing. I thought yesterday was the first time he actually looked to take men on, get shots on goal etc, and as soon as it goes slightly wrong he gets shouted at by the crowd and called shit on social media afterwards.

If Howe's interview yesterday is anything to go by, we're going to have to get used to some academy players being drafted into the squad before they're fully ready...I just hope the fans' reaction to those players coming in and trying things that don't always go right is better than it was yesterday.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 09:16

I know it might be naive of me but I cant see the club selling Moore AND Swift. The owners wouldn't let Meite go in January so it'll take a lot to make them sell 1 of the above let alone both.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 23 Apr 2019 09:17

Schmeichel the dog BTW.......how pissed was Sir John on BBC Berks post match? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Radio Berks cut this bit out of the Berks Reading podcast :) Will have to iplayer the interview

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 09:26

winchester_royal Really good game I thought, as entertaining a 0-0 as I can remember - although much of that probably owed to the atmosphere which was fantastic.

Small gripe - disappointed with the reaction to Loader both in the ground and on here after. The guy is 18 years old ffs, clearly has plenty of developing to do however his record both in the academy and for England youth teams shows that he has the quality. What he needs now is the confidence to go out there and do his thing. I thought yesterday was the first time he actually looked to take men on, get shots on goal etc, and as soon as it goes slightly wrong he gets shouted at by the crowd and called shit on social media afterwards.

If Howe's interview yesterday is anything to go by, we're going to have to get used to some academy players being drafted into the squad before they're fully ready...I just hope the fans' reaction to those players coming in and trying things that don't always go right is better than it was yesterday.

Thought Loader did ok. Best I’ve seen him for a while. He just needs to get stronger - which he will.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:29

NewCorkSeth I know it might be naive of me but I cant see the club selling Moore AND Swift. The owners wouldn't let Meite go in January so it'll take a lot to make them sell 1 of the above let alone both.

About £15million and a huge wage bill reduction will do it though I'd reckon. Nobody wants Moore to go anywhere but lets be realistic here, Moore will want to be playing Premier League football next season. He is clearly ambitious and Reading are at least 3 years off being a PL club IMO, Moore won't wait forever. Reading between the lines in the interview that he did it sounds like there is a set figure that if it is offered he can talk to interested club so we may have our hands tied on this one.

Swift on the other hand needs to leave and isn't someone this club needs around, look at how we have played while he has been out. He is a fairweather player and has no hunger or desire to be in relegation scraps. He can bugger off to Derby or Leeds.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:29

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Snowball

Because he is a huge earner and commands a huge transfer fee. Selling him and Swift would see us back on an even keel.

That’s opinion, not evidence.
Moving Aluko on would save as much in wages, earn enough money to balance the books, not require us to buy a replacement and not fundamentally disrupt the team.
Plus the evidence is that the owners don’t want to sell and he doesn’t want to go.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 09:32

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I know it might be naive of me but I cant see the club selling Moore AND Swift. The owners wouldn't let Meite go in January so it'll take a lot to make them sell 1 of the above let alone both.

About £15million and a huge wage bill reduction will do it though I'd reckon. Nobody wants Moore to go anywhere but lets be realistic here, Moore will want to be playing Premier League football next season. He is clearly ambitious and Reading are at least 3 years off being a PL club IMO, Moore won't wait forever. Reading between the lines in the interview that he did it sounds like there is a set figure that if it is offered he can talk to interested club so we may have our hands tied on this one.

Swift on the other hand needs to leave and isn't someone this club needs around, look at how we have played while he has been out. He is a fairweather player and has no hunger or desire to be in relegation scraps. He can bugger off to Derby or Leeds.

But that's your outward view on the matter. In January many fans were happy to let Meite and Barrow leave. The owners blocked Meite from moving so theres a chance they will try the same with Swift.

Moore is in line to be named captain next season and judging by the parts of his interview I heard he likes it here. He signed a new contract which the owners forced through so they clearly value him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:36

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

But that's your outward view on the matter. In January many fans were happy to let Meite and Barrow leave. The owners blocked Meite from moving so theres a chance they will try the same with Swift.

Moore is in line to be named captain next season and judging by the parts of his interview I heard he likes it here. He signed a new contract which the owners forced through so they clearly value him.

But Meite is worth about a million whilst Moore and Swift are worth a combined £15m-ish. Nobody is suggesting Moore wants to leave or the club want to sell, its a case of economics. If we can pocket over £7m for him and bring in a suitable replacement for £2m on a lower wage the club simply has to sell.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 09:40

Nonsense on Swift. He has been as much a part of Jose’s turnaround as anyone and works as hard as anyone. Absolutely nothing to suggest he is the type of person we don’t want around the club. That’s just bollox I’m afraid

Fine with saying we should cash in, but he’s attitude is not an issue at all
Last edited by Hound on 23 Apr 2019 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 09:40

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

But Meite is worth about a million whilst Moore and Swift are worth a combined £15m-ish. Nobody is suggesting Moore wants to leave or the club want to sell, its a case of economics. If we can pocket over £7m for him and bring in a suitable replacement for £2m on a lower wage the club simply has to sell.

I know it makes financial sense but would you really suggest transfer listing them just because they're our most saleable assets?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 09:41

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Let’s hope Nigel Howe understands economics better than you !

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 09:43

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth But that's your outward view on the matter. In January many fans were happy to let Meite and Barrow leave. The owners blocked Meite from moving so theres a chance they will try the same with Swift.

Let’s hope Nigel Howe understands economics better than you !

Well that is what we are now, we are a club who has to sell off our biggest and most expensive assets and bring in quality cheaper replacements. Nigel Howe said it live on radio about 14 hours ago, keep up.