BFTG - Baggies

107 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Baggies

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Apr 2019 17:40

Atfer a really dull first half, that second was about as exciting as a 0-0 can be.

The early injuries knocked us and we didn't seem to know how to attack with no proper front men.

Should have had a few (and conceeded a few) second half though. Loader sadly missing a couple of really gilt edges chances.

Nearly had a heart attach at the end. Martinez and Miazga saved our skins a few times

Enjoyed that :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Baggies

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 17:48

Yep agree

First half very dull. The injuries affected us massively

Second half thoroughly enjoyable as two half decent but flawed teams both fully went for it. Great game, great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Delighted with the point

Baker brilliant again I thought. Ovie good but faded, Moore excellent, Martinez good, Barrow very good, McCleary summed up his current form, dangerous throughout but never quite coming off. Should have had a pen

Ref utter shite again. Getting used to that now though

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Apr 2019 17:49

Definitely have to big up Baker, he was immense today

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Apr 2019 17:57

Baker is the best player in the league. I love him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 18:02

Baker would without a doubt be my number one priority if I was in charge of recruitment there. He is a phenomenal player if you can unlock it

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Apr 2019 18:12

Yeh samesies.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Apr 2019 18:14

I thought we would have won that if it wasn't for the early injuries. Baker and Rino were good, Miazga and Moore solid and we always looked ok, We had a couple of scares but that was a good point considering the injuries, I'd like to see the McClearly pen shout again - that looked stonewall to me.

I wonder why Baldock didn't come on instead of the utterly useless Loader, he had 2 great chances and completely messed them both.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 18:15

Oh 1871 were fantastic today. That’s the first time I’ve really heard them throughout. Brilliant stuff

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2019 18:19

Ref was poor I thought. Whistle happy and should have given Reading a penalty.

WBA were poor, obviously see themselves as being in the play offs and seemed to want to preserve their playing staff for the event (when they’ll probably get done by Villa) rather than risking anything.

Everyone did well. Reading seemed to possess much more attacking threat after Gunter came on though. Baker was MotM and I’m now just waiting for the day he scores from the halfway line.

Finally we can say it’s all over as even Reading can’t lose both their remaining games and throw away a 13 goal cushion in the process can they? Just as well considering yet more injuries have been picked up with both Oliveira and Meite getting what looked like hamstring problems (so the end of their seasons anyway) and Blackett also getting a knock.

Now just waiting for the club to be tonked 4-0 at Middlesbrough while Rotherham produce a stunning 3-0 victory at WBA...
Last edited by Sutekh on 22 Apr 2019 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 22 Apr 2019 18:31

Agreed that the early injuries knocked the team and we were lacking quality in the finish after that. Good saves from martinez and lucky with those two shots that hit the woodwork. Overall good defending good point hope the injuries aren't too bad. Good to see some of the players reactions when the Rotherham result was shown. Was at the wrong end for the pen shout but thought it had been given...oh well

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Apr 2019 18:34

I really, really, really want Miazga, Martinez and Baker next year.

What're the chances?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Apr 2019 18:36

Hound Baker would without a doubt be my number one priority if I was in charge of recruitment there. He is a phenomenal player if you can unlock it

Agree but the problem I see is that one of the promoted clubs, or lower half of the prem teams will pay him more and he'll still get the chance to play for them enough to evolve his career. At the end of the day we are a club who narrowly avoided relegation and will most likely being completely overhauling the squad in a rebuild. Its unlikely we'll be in the promotion hunt next season so all we can really offer players is a decent salary and a chance to play while possibly mounting a challenge in a year or two. I don't think we stand much chance with Martinez or Baker. Its possible Oliveira will stay as we have a Portuguese manager and he hasn't played much in the last 18 months. Ejaria and Miazga seem solid and probably know they aren't going to be on any major radar's at the moment. I think we have a chance with those three. I would happily take them if it was financially feasible.

One87One

by One87One » 22 Apr 2019 18:39

Fee already agreed for Oliveira, and that must be a large chunk of our budget. Realistically Martinez is far too good for this level. We have zero chance of keeping him. Miazga I can see coming, and I reckon Baker. EJ also too good for us. Not Liverpool standard but a lower Prem team certainly, IMO.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 18:52

Bakers almost wrecked his career with two poor loans

A good full season behind him at a local club where he has played the best football of his career makes more sense than another gamble at a Leeds/Boro

At least that’s what I’d be telling him

Ejaria no idea. Martinez no. Miazga prob perm move to a top champ club. Oliveira likely. Eza - lets see if he plays next week.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Apr 2019 18:56

McCleary did himself out of the pen with his dive. He was clipped, stayed on his feet then fell to the floor. You could argue the ref should still have given the pen but you can see why he didn’t.
The Barrow pen was much more obvious and blatant but clearly none of the officials saw it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Apr 2019 19:00

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Normally in Upper West but was behind the goal in the North End.

Amazed how cool Miazga is (and how wide the CBs often are.)

Moore was superb first half (couldn't see second half defending)

EJ, Rhino, Baker all good (great midfield) but Baker was involved in everything. TOP player.

Gunter did really well and we played some lovely stuff attack-wise esp second half
but we just didn't have an in-form ruthless striker.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Apr 2019 19:15

One87One Fee already agreed for Oliveira, and that must be a large chunk of our budget.

The more I see of him, and hear about him, the less I want him.
PieEater I thought we would have won that if it wasn't for the early injuries. Baker and Rino were good, Miazga and Moore solid and we always looked ok, We had a couple of scares but that was a good point considering the injuries, I'd like to see the McClearly pen shout again - that looked stonewall to me.

Well said, important to secure safety today given the new injuries going forward. Good, gritty performance today.
Fantastic job by Gomes to come in and keep us up this season. Much work lay ahead over the Summer, of course. But for now, very well done indeed.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 22 Apr 2019 19:19

Tremendously exciting second half and a great point, thought the lads did exceptionally well and gave their all , can't ask for any more. Atmosphere was great and fair play to the Club 1871 section, I've not been their greatest fan this season but today they were exceptional and made a great noise with terrific support to the end, if that grows it will do the club no harm at all.

If at all possible the club should sell everything it has to sign Miazga, what a tremendous player and in a dream world with Martinez would form the prefect bedrock to build a top defence. Sadly both will probably not be here next season.

Also a big shout out to Liam Moore, he really did die for the shirt today and his reaction at the end of the game to the Rotherham result epitomises his spirt, desire and work ethic with the club, he really is a model professional footballer, I salute you Liam.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 19:21

‘Bore draw’ according to the BBC... :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2019 19:32

Hound Yep agree

First half very dull. The injuries affected us massively

Second half thoroughly enjoyable as two half decent but flawed teams both fully went for it. Great game, great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Delighted with the point

Baker brilliant again I thought. Ovie good but faded, Moore excellent, Martinez good, Barrow very good, McCleary summed up his current form, dangerous throughout but never quite coming off. Should have had a pen

Ref utter shite again. Getting used to that now though

Agree... though I though Ovie was a bit mixed, some real soft stuff, and some real nice stuff.

I was really excited about Loader. I really want him to do well. I'm starting to think he just doesn't have what it takes up top though. Another lost boy performance from a player with obvious talent.

I thought in general we were worryingly sloppy at times, causing most of the problems WBA gave us ourselves. And if we had Meite, Oliveira or Bod on the field for 60+ minutes of that game, I think we definitely score at least one. Though obviously WBA could have had two or three but for Martinez or an inch or two here and there.

Bloody exciting second half. Good stuff.

107 posts