Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by windermereROYAL » 31 May 2019 19:41

I think he should have held back on that interview until after July 2nd, I would think it will make some people think twice about renewing STs.
Looking grim, but I`m 100% in wait and see mode.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2019 20:04

It’s no different to what was said at the end of last year really. It still all hinges on binning the deadwood

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 May 2019 20:07

Why has the optimism faded so suddenly. The writing was clearly on the wall as far as transfers is concerned.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 31 May 2019 21:55

So its looking a bit grim on the transfer front thanks to FFP, but its not all doom and gloom just yet! we still have a competitive squad which would still just about hang on to safety i guess.
So if we where to put a squad out today with the players currently on our books i would go for:

Southwood

Yiadom Moore Blackett Obita

Rinomhota Swift

Meite Loader Barrow

Bodvarson

Subs: Ward, Gunter, Osho, Olise, Barrett, Novakovich, Gmac

Yes i know there would be questions over the keeper with regards to experience, but there is plenty of potential with both of them. The defense is pretty solid and obita is questionable, so Blackett would revert to left back and one of McIntyre or Osho would fill in. The whole midfield is solid and competitive, so my only concern would be up top, and regards to the fitness of Bod? but we still have the option of Novakovich, Meite or Baldock.
This team wouldn't pull up any trees but if the worst did happen then its not all doom and gloom :shock: :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 May 2019 23:12

Crowbar6753 So its looking a bit grim on the transfer front thanks to FFP, but its not all doom and gloom just yet! we still have a competitive squad which would still just about hang on to safety i guess.
So if we where to put a squad out today with the players currently on our books i would go for:

Southwood

Rinomhota Swift

Meite Loader Barrow

Bodvarson

Yes i know there would be questions over the keeper with regards to experience, but there is plenty of potential with both of them. The defense is pretty solid and obita is questionable, so Blackett would revert to left back and one of McIntyre or Osho would fill in. The whole midfield is solid and competitive, so my only concern would be up top, and regards to the fitness of Bod? but we still have the option of Novakovich, Meite or Baldock.
This team wouldn't pull up any trees but if the worst did happen then its not all doom and gloom :shock: :D

Rino, Swift and Loader would be one of the worst midfield trio we've ever seen. Imagine the likes of Warnock, Pulis and co against those three, they'd have a field day

Add to that Blackett and Moore aren't exactly tall, neither Obita and Yiadom. Our two tallest players would be our striker and RW. We'd be in big trouble with an XI like that IMO

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 May 2019 23:30

URZZZZ
Crowbar6753 So its looking a bit grim on the transfer front thanks to FFP, but its not all doom and gloom just yet! we still have a competitive squad which would still just about hang on to safety i guess.

Southwood

Rinomhota Swift

Meite Loader Barrow

Bodvarson

Rino, Swift and Loader would be one of the worst midfield trio we've ever seen. Imagine the likes of Warnock, Pulis and co against those three, they'd have a field day

Add to that Blackett and Moore aren't exactly tall, neither Obita and Yiadom. Our two tallest players would be our striker and RW. We'd be in big trouble with an XI like that IMO

Blackett is about 6 feet two. How much taller do you want?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 May 2019 23:36

Zip
URZZZZ

Southwood

Rinomhota Swift

Meite Loader Barrow

Bodvarson

Let me rephrase the question. Would you fancy Blackett against the likes of Flint, Morrison, Cooper etc etc...Now compare to someone like Miazga. Both Blackett and Moore are good enough as CB's. Together, nah

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 May 2019 23:53

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Let me rephrase the question. Would you fancy Blackett against the likes of Flint, Morrison, Cooper etc etc...Now compare to someone like Miazga. Both Blackett and Moore are good enough as CB's. Together, nah

I would prefer Miazga obviously but if we don’t have the money we may have to make do with what we have. The three you have mentioned cause most centre backs problems.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jun 2019 01:48

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

I would prefer Miazga obviously but if we don’t have the money we may have to make do with what we have. The three you have mentioned cause most centre backs problems.

I'm not disputing that we may have to make do with what we have. My point was to the original post that our back 8 would struggle physically with opposing teams. You only have to look at the teams that got promoted. Zimmermann (1.94m), Basham (1.9m), O'Connell (1.9m), Mings (1.91m). Blackett and Moore are quite a lot smaller than them

Then there's Morrison, Bamba, Boly, Bennett etc...from the year before. And that probably explains why we haven't won an away game with a clean sheet for nearly two seasons! Because our defence is simply not capable of closing teams out. Other teams can. That's why we've been languishing in two successive relegation battles

It's a shame Ilori was so oxf*rd useless considering his height

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Jun 2019 09:11

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

I'm not disputing that we may have to make do with what we have. My point was to the original post that our back 8 would struggle physically with opposing teams. You only have to look at the teams that got promoted. Zimmermann (1.94m), Basham (1.9m), O'Connell (1.9m), Mings (1.91m). Blackett and Moore are quite a lot smaller than them

Then there's Morrison, Bamba, Boly, Bennett etc...from the year before. And that probably explains why we haven't won an away game with a clean sheet for nearly two seasons! Because our defence is simply not capable of closing teams out. Other teams can. That's why we've been languishing in two successive relegation battles

It's a shame Ilori was so oxf*rd useless considering his height

You do know you’re talking about a difference of about 10cm at most? We’re not talking about Jodi Morris here!

I think you’re getting slightly hung up on this...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jun 2019 11:00

Yeah, reasons to not be keen on Blackett at centre back are his concentration, positioning and frequent casualness. Nothing to do with height.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jun 2019 15:06

I'm not getting hung up on this at all. We haven't won an away game with a clean sheet in over 40 games now. Even then, Leeds missed a 90th minute penalty. Because as soon as the opposition lump it in the box and go direct one, we concede. We seem to concede so many crosses. Having a taller defender reduces the chances of us being susceptible to those crosses

^ As already stated, I never said I wasn't keen on Blackett CB. My idea was with Blackett and Moore at CB, and a Rino, Swift, Loader midfield three, we'd be bullied by the more physical teams and struggle

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jun 2019 18:13

Perhaps Blackett could play as the DM.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 01 Jun 2019 19:19

URZZZZ

Southwood

Rinomhota Swift

Meite Loader Barrow

Bodvarson

Hi Urzzz, i'm not suggesting its a great scenario, and i wouldn't want to start the season with this team, but the club seems to have its hands tied at present and if we cannot offload any players then the harsh reality is that we have no money to spend and bring in players. This was just an exercise to see what sort of semblance of a team we could put together if the season started today.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 01 Jun 2019 19:21

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Miazga has gone! and i'm guessing by the current state of affairs, he isn't coming back anytime soon. So we have to make do with what we have!! it sucks, but what can we do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jun 2019 22:28

Lower West Perhaps Blackett could play as the DM.

What is the obsession with playing people out of position? Play them where they are best. For Blackett, that is left back.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jun 2019 22:59

Snowflake Royal

What is the obsession with playing people out of position? Play them where they are best. For Blackett, that is left back.

From the players available Gomes is going to need to cobble together a team that is competitive. Blackett sitting in as DM, can drop back and make a three. Midfield options are non existant as matters stand. Last year Meyler was brought in to strengthen. Meyler has gone, along with Edwards and Bacuna. Very concerning.

Sol Campbell started life as a striker, before moving to left back, before eventually becoming a class central defender.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jun 2019 23:07

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

From the players available Gomes is going to need to cobble together a team that is competitive. Blackett sitting in as DM, can drop back and make a three. Midfield options are non existant as matters stand. Last year Meyler was brought in to strengthen. Meyler has gone, along with Edwards and Bacuna. Very concerning.

Sol Campbell started life as a striker, before moving to left back, before eventually becoming a class central defender.

I'll see your Sol Campbell, who played most of his senior career at CB, and raise you the half a dozen or more square pegs in rounds holes we've failed with in just the last few years.

Don't play Blackett out of position. Give, East, Holsgrove, Frost, Olise etc a chance. You know, like we gave our a player of the season Rinomhota a chance.

I'll give you one thing, Blackett would be a lot better at DM than oxf*rd John Shitty O'Shea.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jun 2019 06:43

Meyler hasn’t gone anywhere (yet)

He’s still an option if desperate

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jun 2019 09:08

Snowflake Royal

Not as weird as your bizarre obsession with insulting John O'Shea.

1826 posts