Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Simon's Church » 26 Jun 2019 10:30

East, Watson, osho, Southwood, Holmes and McIntyre all back training with the u23s.

If we assume it's true the players not in our plans don't come back next week there will only be about 10 players starting their pre-season on Monday.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Jun 2019 10:52

Simon's Church East, Watson, osho, Southwood, Holmes and McIntyre all back training with the u23s.

If we assume it's true the players not in our plans don't come back next week there will only be about 10 players starting their pre-season on Monday.

Do we need to send the Bushwatch guy down to Hogwood on Monday?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Jun 2019 12:15

NewCorkSeth
Sutekh
URZZZZ Let's hope C Walker is better than Sam

Perhaps Clive is making a comeback?

Its S Walker on my OP. Dont know how that got changed in transition.

Sorry that was me deleted Walker by mistake then added him again. (Have a mate called Chris Walker) and for stats I was using transfermarkt and these all highlighted as more than 10 appearances for Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2019 13:37

JLow suggests the 'Aluko is being worked on' over the summer.

Would be a nice little boost if we could flog him off and get a good fee for him. He seems to have done 'ok' over there - few goals and played 90 mins every time I've looked

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Jun 2019 16:08

Hound its a little selective though - I know he's rubbish, but Meyler is massively experienced - the fact that less than 10 of his x hundred games have come for Reading is irrelevant. Walker has played over 200 games

Novakovich has had two full seasons at a similar standard to us as well

Yeah, the general point is though that this team has had very little experience of playing with each other. Sometimes that can be a disaster but sometimes that can work in your favour, especially if the past crop weren't up to much good - don't think for example Norwich had much experience playing together before this season whereas Sheffield has bundles...

Still only ever watched Meyler play twice for us so I won't rule him out yet but it doesn't look good for him...most of Walker's have been in league one TBF

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2019 19:34

URZZZZ
Hound its a little selective though - I know he's rubbish, but Meyler is massively experienced - the fact that less than 10 of his x hundred games have come for Reading is irrelevant. Walker has played over 200 games

Yeah, the general point is though that this team has had very little experience of playing with each other. Sometimes that can be a disaster but sometimes that can work in your favour, especially if the past crop weren't up to much good - don't think for example Norwich had much experience playing together before this season whereas Sheffield has bundles...

Still only ever watched Meyler play twice for us so I won't rule him out yet but it doesn't look good for him...most of Walker's have been in league one TBF

I've never seen a more woeful performance from an experienced defensive midfielder than Meyler. He was shameful. Massively off the pace of the game.

Don't see any way back for him, especially another year older.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jun 2019 20:39

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I've never seen a more woeful performance from an experienced defensive midfielder than Meyler. He was shameful. Massively off the pace of the game.

If Meyler is still at the club and in the first team squad by the end of the window I'm going to cut my season ticket in half.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jun 2019 20:44

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

If Meyler is still at the club and in the first team squad by the end of the window I'm going to cut my season ticket in half.

I can see him still being at the club. I can’t see him being in the squad.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jun 2019 21:38

People were writing off Bobby Convey after his 1st season. Never say never.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jun 2019 22:08

Zip
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal I've never seen a more woeful performance from an experienced defensive midfielder than Meyler. He was shameful. Massively off the pace of the game.

Not ideal but could just about accept that. Meyler is a total cockend, a liar and hypocrit. Not to mention he’s an absolutely atrocious footballer.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Jun 2019 22:13

Snowflake Royal Don't see any way back for him, especially another year older.

Unless he burys the hatchet with Gomes. We've no money. Getting a year out of someone on the books would be no bad thing.

The guy captained his country. Therefore must have something in his locker. With his head in the right place would be ideal person with the "kids" in th team.

Being a strong character you never know who he might of clashed with at the club. With hindsight there was something a miss in the squad during Clements reign. The January clear out did seem to improve player performance and attitude.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2019 22:30

The Enfield Royal71 People were writing off Bobby Convey after his 1st season. Never say never.

The circumstances are wholly different. Convey was younger and not established at this level or higher. He made 22 appearances in his first season and iirc had some injury issues.

Meyler is experienced, established at this level, older and was binned off and sent out on loan after just 5 appearances. He then failed to make an impression on loan in L1.

Convey was of an age where you expect improvement, had had a major upheaval moving here and was getting established. Meyler is going downhill fast.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jun 2019 22:54

CountryRoyal
Zip
CountryRoyal

Not ideal but could just about accept that. Meyler is a total cockend, a liar and hypocrit. Not to mention he’s an absolutely atrocious footballer.

Jesus that's a bit harsh. He can't be that atrocious at football seeing it is his job. He could still make a decent go at it and would wipe the floor with any of us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jun 2019 23:11

The Enfield Royal71
CountryRoyal
Zip

Jesus that's a bit harsh. He can't be that atrocious at football seeing it is his job. He could still make a decent go at it and would wipe the floor with any of us.

Thanks for that enlightening observation. Next time I’ll be sure to specify it’s not in relation to the general population. Actually I’m not even sure why I’m bothering replying.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 26 Jun 2019 23:19

CountryRoyal
The Enfield Royal71
CountryRoyal

Thanks for that enlightening observation. Next time I’ll be sure to specify it’s not in relation to the general population. Actually I’m not even sure why I’m bothering replying.

Also I think he could do a good job at at least 30 and at most 50 of the 92 league clubs

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Jun 2019 09:32

Thought he looked like our best player on the opening day of the season, shame.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Jun 2019 17:59

Gomes told some players at the end of last season not to come back for pre-season training as they weren’t in his plans. However due to inactivity in transfers, apparently they’ve now been told to report back. Low said he won’t give names, however can guess it’s the likes of Meyler, McNulty etc

Edit : It is Meyler and McNulty who have been told to report to training on Monday

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jun 2019 21:09

URZZZZ Gomes told some players at the end of last season not to come back for pre-season training as they weren’t in his plans. However due to inactivity in transfers, apparently they’ve now been told to report back. Low said he won’t give names, however can guess it’s the likes of Meyler, McNulty etc

Edit : It is Meyler and McNulty who have been told to report to training on Monday

Should we as a club be telling players that? After all they need to stay as fit as possible so we can sell them.....you never know they may come back and put in decent performances in training?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2019 22:09

I’ve no major problem with McNulty and Meyler coming back in for training

Still expect them to be gone come August, but if they aren’t they could still offer something

The journalist stuff is mildly entertaining atm. Low seems to have a contact which he doesn’t want to upset (but the info is reliable) while Friday - whatever your fcuk he is meant to be doing / thought he no longer worked for the chron - is leaking shit all I’ve the place.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2019 08:27

Hound I’ve no major problem with McNulty and Meyler coming back in for training

Still expect them to be gone come August, but if they aren’t they could still offer something

The journalist stuff is mildly entertaining atm. Low seems to have a contact which he doesn’t want to upset (but the info is reliable) while Friday - whatever your fcuk he is meant to be doing / thought he no longer worked for the chron - is leaking shit all I’ve the place.

If he doesn't work for the Chron any more, he's probably enjoying the fact he is still finding shit out and is able to leak it without any real comeback.

1826 posts