Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2019 09:57

It’s been reported that Arsenal want Martinez as their no2 so only the offer of regular first team football is going to attract Martinez over that but I can’t see Reading being able to afford his wages even if they were the only club to offer him an alternative deal. And is a struggling division 2 level club really where a player of his calibre needs to be playing at this point in his career?

Arsenal are supposedly signing Markus Schubert, 21, from Dresden so I guess he might be a loan option to look at instead.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jun 2019 10:53

Wouldn't be surprised if we went for Pereira at United if Martinez isn't available.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2019 11:54

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
SCIAG Driscoll would be next in line. Based on last season you'd expect CBC to be quite a way down the pecking order.

Blackett is currently arguably a starting centre back for us, Obita becoming available would make that more realistic.

That is a valid point but does Gomes see Blackett as a CB? Even with the 3 centre halves, he used Yiadom there over Blackett

Which I thought was odd at the time despite Yiadom doing a decent job there.

For me there is only 3 nailed on positions in the team being Yiadom at RB, Moore at CB and Rinomhota in CM. Blackett could well be pushed in to CB if Obita can come back well which isnt the worst idea. If one of the trio of young CBs we have can prove themselves in pre season as capable of pushing for a spot then perhaps the defense isnt as dire as I thought. We will still have to deal with Blackett dropping a clanger every second game though.

Blackett hasn't been nearly that bad lately. At least at LB.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jun 2019 13:25

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
That is a valid point but does Gomes see Blackett as a CB? Even with the 3 centre halves, he used Yiadom there over Blackett

Which I thought was odd at the time despite Yiadom doing a decent job there.

For me there is only 3 nailed on positions in the team being Yiadom at RB, Moore at CB and Rinomhota in CM. Blackett could well be pushed in to CB if Obita can come back well which isnt the worst idea. If one of the trio of young CBs we have can prove themselves in pre season as capable of pushing for a spot then perhaps the defense isnt as dire as I thought. We will still have to deal with Blackett dropping a clanger every second game though.

I meant for CB. It's been a while since he played there but, for me, he has positional problems. Hes either too near or too far away from his man at all times.

I agree hes been better but still suffers from what I perceive as a severe lack of concentration. All the skills, none of the brain.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2019 13:47

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Which I thought was odd at the time despite Yiadom doing a decent job there.

I meant for CB. It's been a while since he played there but, for me, he has positional problems. Hes either too near or too far away from his man at all times.

I agree hes been better but still suffers from what I perceive as a severe lack of concentration. All the skills, none of the brain.

No that's fair. Positionally a mess when played there this season.

Maybe as left of a 3, not in a 2 for me.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Jun 2019 14:19

Pepe the Horseman Wouldn't be surprised if we went for Pereira at United if Martinez isn't available.

Yep, from a distance it might be characterized as madness (by some), but if something is lined up then letting Southwood know he can leave now, rather than it being criticized, could also be viewed as the 'right' thing to do.
Pretty sure releasing players late in the Summer has met with some criticism in here in the past i.e. it shows no class, it's too late for him to find a club, should have let him know sooner, etc.
There's also the small matter of how highly the current regime actually rate Southwood, and the various managers and coaches will certainly have seen more of him than I have.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2019 18:29

Hound Well looks like JLow found out before only for it to be denied. And has since been re-confirmed

The fact he came back to train with the U23s did suggest he wasn’t going to be first team squad

Not really, there are players who are apparently train8ng with the U23 squad initially who will be part of the first team squad next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2019 20:14

Yep. But if he was lined up to be number 2 (or even number 1) wouldn’t expect him to train with the U23s

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Jun 2019 20:18

Sutekh It’s been reported that Arsenal want Martinez as their no2 so only the offer of regular first team football is going to attract Martinez over that but I can’t see Reading being able to afford his wages even if they were the only club to offer him an alternative deal. And is a struggling division 2 level club really where a player of his calibre needs to be playing at this point in his career?

Arsenal are supposedly signing Markus Schubert, 21, from Dresden so I guess he might be a loan option to look at instead.

Aside from saving our backsides I’d debate that he hasn’t achieved anything as yet so not yet worthy of saying ‘a player of his calibre’.

I guess it depends what else is on offer to Martinez - I doubt a PL team would make him number 1 so if he wants to stay in blighty who else is enquiring to sign him?
Last edited by royalp-we on 30 Jun 2019 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2019 20:20

Nameless
Hound Well looks like JLow found out before only for it to be denied. And has since been re-confirmed

The fact he came back to train with the U23s did suggest he wasn’t going to be first team squad

Not really, there are players who are apparently train8ng with the U23 squad initially who will be part of the first team squad next season.

It was Pete O'Rourke the first time. Southwood and agent knew nothing about it, went as far as saying it was bullshit.

Hopefully that's still the case.

Many of those involved with u23s last week will be with the first team this coming week. Including the trialist - a former Gomes player - who should has been here at their own cost working on fitness and using the facilities instead of having a summer break like many others (which sounds like they have the right attitude!).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2019 20:25

Any idea who that is Mafff? And yes get the point that it will probably be this week when it becomes obvious who is in the U23s and who is in the first team squad

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jul 2019 13:04

Apparently* the following players were not in training today and have been told to naff off as quickly as they possibly could please:

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson
Sam Baldock
Marc McNulty
David Meyler
Chris Gunter
Liam Kelly

Prob no real shock except for Jon Dadi and would explain why we are interested in Piggott and may show that Oliveria is still a likely arrival.

*According to Jonathan Low.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 01 Jul 2019 13:09

McCleary is still on holiday and Gunter was at Juves training camp last week. Ramsey and Gunter linking up at Juve?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jul 2019 13:11

Hound GOALKEEPERS
S. Walker
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
T. Watson
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
R. East
M. Olise
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
D. Loader
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

So are we down to this now?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2019 13:12

Stranded Apparently* the following players were not in training today and have been told to naff off as quickly as they possibly could please:

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson - I can see why
Sam Baldock - good
Marc McNulty - expected
David Meyler - expected and good
Chris Gunter - I can see why but harsh on him
Liam Kelly - expected but harsh depending on attitude

Prob no real shock except for Jon Dadi and would explain why we are interested in Piggott and may show that Oliveria is still a likely arrival.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2019 13:15

Simon's Church
Hound GOALKEEPERS
S. Walker
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
T. Watson
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
R. East
M. Olise
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
D. Loader
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

None of those allegedly told to leave have. Can't see us paying up contracts in full - that would defeat the object - so for time being squad unchanged.

We always knew most of those weren't wanted.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jul 2019 13:17

Stranded Apparently* the following players were not in training today and have been told to naff off as quickly as they possibly could please:

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson
Sam Baldock
Marc McNulty
David Meyler
Chris Gunter
Liam Kelly

As the futures of Southwood, Barrow, Popa and Loader are also uncertain I make that we just have 12 other players who are likely to stay (apart from yet unproven Academy players).

Walker
Yiadom
Blackett
Watson
Richards
Moore
Obita
Rimonota
Swift
Meite
McCleary
Smith

I would think unless we are going to find money from somewhere to add a lot of players that looks a very thin squad indeed to me.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jul 2019 13:22

Snowflake Royal
Simon's Church
Hound GOALKEEPERS
S. Walker
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
T. Watson
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
R. East
M. Olise
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
STRIKERS
D. Loader
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

None of those allegedly told to leave have. Can't see us paying up contracts in full - that would defeat the object - so for time being squad unchanged.

We always knew most of those weren't wanted.

Sure but there's a difference between not being wanted and being told not to bother coming to training. So bar any signings this week that will pretty much be the squad going to Spain on Sunday.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Jul 2019 13:27

On the contrary, it would leave us with a strong pool of forwards to choose from:

Meite
Loader
Novakovich
Nelson (if signed)

We don’t need the amount of strikers we currently have if we are persisting with 1 up front. It would then leave Nelson & Nova fighting for the No.9, Meite able to play there but used predominantly as a winger. And Loader as a No.10 who can also play there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 13:28

Gunter - it’s harsh if he’s been exiled because he helped us towards the end of last season but it’s time to go

Kelly - wrong choice, I’ll leave it at that

Bodvarsson - terrible decision

Meyler and McNulty - not surprised, but would have liked to have seen McNulty have a go

Baldock - rate him as a player, but in the 4-2-3-1 Gomes plays possibly not

McCleary simply has to go before Kelly or Bodvarsson so I hope he’s off as well

1826 posts