Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jul 2019 22:40

I was really optimistic at the close of the season having survived. We seemed to have a good manager, some good young players, a sense of good feeling at the club and at least a little direction that we may push on. Fast forward to now and what a different feeling. Absolutely no signings at all, none of the loans coming back, shit players we thought we might be able to shift are still here, Gomes has been linked to other clubs, but thankfully not gone, and the new season is closing in. It's like we've all been waiting to get excited by a young signing or one of last seasons loans confirming a deal....and nothing. Just the same negative noises from the club all summer. We cannot go into next season with this squad, its a complete mess still. How can teams like Villa and a few others overspend so much and have absolutely no consequences, yet here we are unable to make a single signing?

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 04 Jul 2019 08:32

Sorry if it's been said already. But what is the deal with Novakovich ?

Is he not training with the team/not in plans? or do we not know?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2019 08:33

Blue & White Soup Sorry if it's been said already. But what is the deal with Novakovich ?

Ask John Smith.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jul 2019 08:53

Blue & White Soup Sorry if it's been said already. But what is the deal with Novakovich ?

training with the first team

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 04 Jul 2019 09:09

Hound

training with the first team

Ahh that's good. Hope he takes his chance!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jul 2019 09:16

FiNeRaIn I was really optimistic at the close of the season having survived. We seemed to have a good manager, some good young players, a sense of good feeling at the club and at least a little direction that we may push on. Fast forward to now and what a different feeling. Absolutely no signings at all, none of the loans coming back, shit players we thought we might be able to shift are still here, Gomes has been linked to other clubs, but thankfully not gone, and the new season is closing in. It's like we've all been waiting to get excited by a young signing or one of last seasons loans confirming a deal....and nothing. Just the same negative noises from the club all summer. We cannot go into next season with this squad, its a complete mess still. How can teams like Villa and a few others overspend so much and have absolutely no consequences, yet here we are unable to make a single signing?

Because Villa got promoted and we haven't? The fact is the EFL are now showing some teeth with FFP and if you are in their jurisdiction and breach the rules, you can say bye-bye to 9 or so points. The club are doing all they can to avoid that due to the almost negligent decisions made by the former CEO.

What negative noises are we hearing from the club? They've re-launched "The Reading Way" and Howe has said they expect traction in the market soon. The players being told to leave - is that really a negative? We've needed to do that for 2 summers, so about time really.

We need new players and ideally this week but if we have to wait until the end of July/August, so be it - we can worry about the state of the squad once we can no longer improve it. Target this year was always mid-table at best but mainly just improving the state of the club and the moves made so far should do that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Jul 2019 09:29

Stranded
FiNeRaIn I was really optimistic at the close of the season having survived. We seemed to have a good manager, some good young players, a sense of good feeling at the club and at least a little direction that we may push on. Fast forward to now and what a different feeling. Absolutely no signings at all, none of the loans coming back, shit players we thought we might be able to shift are still here, Gomes has been linked to other clubs, but thankfully not gone, and the new season is closing in. It's like we've all been waiting to get excited by a young signing or one of last seasons loans confirming a deal....and nothing. Just the same negative noises from the club all summer. We cannot go into next season with this squad, its a complete mess still. How can teams like Villa and a few others overspend so much and have absolutely no consequences, yet here we are unable to make a single signing?

Because Villa got promoted and we haven't? The fact is the EFL are now showing some teeth with FFP and if you are in their jurisdiction and breach the rules, you can say bye-bye to 9 or so points. The club are doing all they can to avoid that due to the almost negligent decisions made by the former CEO.

What negative noises are we hearing from the club? They've re-launched "The Reading Way" and Howe has said they expect traction in the market soon. The players being told to leave - is that really a negative? We've needed to do that for 2 summers, so about time really.

We need new players and ideally this week but if we have to wait until the end of July/August, so be it - we can worry about the state of the squad once we can no longer improve it. Target this year was always mid-table at best but mainly just improving the state of the club and the moves made so far should do that.

This. It's the close season. Barely anything happens transfer wise until everyone's back for pre-season. Most Championship clubs haven't made any signings either so Reading aren't really losing ground.

Agreed we have to make 4/5 signings minimum before 9th August as otherwise it's just going to be a repeat of last season at best but that's still 5 weeks away. The only worry is that whether we truly do have to wait for one of the Sidelined Seven to leave or whether there will be some leeway granted under the soft embargo to bring loans in.

For the record opening day opponents Sheffield Wednesday are in exactly the same situation with a soft embargo.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 04 Jul 2019 09:31

Name just popped into my head: Darren Sidoel (young defender signed a year ago)

According to Wikipedia he was on loan at K.S.V. Roeselare

Is he back with Reading? If so, first team or unders? Is he any good?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2019 09:43

morganb Name just popped into my head: Darren Sidoel (young defender signed a year ago)

Not with the first team and he may be good but I never trust a CB who is under 6ft. Unless its Puyol...

Roes

by Roes » 04 Jul 2019 12:24

morganb Name just popped into my head: Darren Sidoel (young defender signed a year ago)

With Roeselare he mostly played as an defensive midfielder. He's not a bad player. He has some potential and does some nice actions.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jul 2019 14:15

The Enfield Royal71
KentRoyal *7 players, as there’s was Denzeil Boadu

Who

See thread in Rumours and Gossip.
FiNeRaIn I was really optimistic at the close of the season having survived. We seemed to have a good manager, some good young players, a sense of good feeling at the club and at least a little direction that we may push on.

Still feel this way.
NewCorkSeth

Not with the first team and he may be good but I never trust a CB who is under 6ft. Unless its Puyol...

In Champ, it's 6'2 for me :wink:.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 04 Jul 2019 14:20

NewCorkSeth

Or Cannavaro. Or baresi.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2019 14:22

The Enfield Royal71
NewCorkSeth

Or Cannavaro. Or baresi.

I always forget about Cannavaro.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2019 18:05

Villa weren't in the Championship long enough to lose all parachute payments and that will have masked their dire financials a lot. Getting promoted bailed them out of the shit big time.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 04 Jul 2019 19:26

NewCorkSeth
The Enfield Royal71
NewCorkSeth Not with the first team and he may be good but I never trust a CB who is under 6ft. Unless its Puyol...

Or Cannavaro. Or baresi.

I always forget about Cannavaro.

Or Keith Anthony McPherson

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2019 13:39

Talk Reading on Twitter reporting the owners have a 5 players on a do not sell list. Think we can all guess that Moore, Meite, Rinomhota and Loader are on it. Talk Reading believe that Barrow is also on the list.

Interesting approach. The owners want to find a different way out of the financial hole we are in rather than relying on selling our best assets. I know Ian is against this (which is fair enough, no judegement) but I am heartened to see the value they are putting on players. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 13:47

its come from a JLow article about us turning down a bid for Barrow. Which completely contradicts the report from last week.

I'm more than confused as to the situation. One minute we will sell everyone for a cut down price to get them off the wage book, next we won't sell Barrow for 10m

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 14:24

actual news on a signing:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... o-16537813

Jlow on fire today

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jul 2019 15:00

NewCorkSeth Talk Reading on Twitter reporting the owners have a 5 players on a do not sell list. Think we can all guess that Moore, Meite, Rinomhota and Loader are on it. Talk Reading believe that Barrow is also on the list.

Interesting approach. The owners want to find a different way out of the financial hole we are in rather than relying on selling our best assets. I know Ian is against this (which is fair enough, no judegement) but I am heartened to see the value they are putting on players. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

I applaud them for it. It shows they are taking an interest in the playing side and not looking to cash in on our more marketable players. Now that the loanees have departed we don’t have that many players available who are good performers at Championship level. It leaves plenty of other players available to sell although a fair few will be difficult to shift.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Jul 2019 15:22

Hound its come from a JLow article about us turning down a bid for Barrow. Which completely contradicts the report from last week.

I'm more than confused as to the situation. One minute we will sell everyone for a cut down price to get them off the wage book, next we won't sell Barrow for 10m

because they want to save/gain money by offloading players we no longer want/need
which makes sense.

I guess even if we cant sell them we would still be able to get some loanees in to fill the holes

1826 posts