Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Stranded » 24 Apr 2019 14:08

WestYorksRoyal
I'd like to see a final chance for Kelly as a squad option. He should fit Gomes' style and its easy to forget his breakout season in 16/17. Admittedly he's been very disappointed since then and his most recent performance at Sheff Utd was an abomination, but Gomes has proved an excellent motivator/coach to the likes of Meite, Barrow and Blackett. Why not Kelly?

I actually think Gomes likes Kelly, didn't he say something about having to teach your children a lesson when they don't follow your commands. Feels like Gomes is perhaps making it clear to Kelly that he is not indispensible (perhaps he fell into thinking he was) and this spell out of the team is his way of showing him what he needs to do week in, week out to make the team/squad. I think he'll get pre-season to prove his worth and if not either be sold close to the deadline on the 8th August or leave on a season long loan shortly after.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 14:15

maybe, though I think Kelly has been massively shown up by Rino, Baker and Ejaria. The difference in midfield has been massive since they came in. Its a very long road back in for him

Its probably also the easiest position to recruit a prem loanee for - technically good midfielders are pretty much the academy staple

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season.

by Maneki Neko » 24 Apr 2019 14:54

Hound Been dropped by Wimbledon. Time to move on I think

id like to know the ins and out before writing him off.
was he loaned as cover, and being overlooked now in favour of a Wimbledon player they would prefer to give time to etc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 14:56

Maneki Neko

was he loaned as cover, and being overlooked now in favour of a Wimbledon player they would prefer to give time to etc

fair enough. He hasn't played for us for 2.5 years now though, with the injury and loan. Having seen Howe a couple of times, I'd put him ahead in the queue now, and there's only so many U23 types you can carry

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 24 Apr 2019 15:00

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
I'd like to see a final chance for Kelly as a squad option. He should fit Gomes' style and its easy to forget his breakout season in 16/17. Admittedly he's been very disappointed since then and his most recent performance at Sheff Utd was an abomination, but Gomes has proved an excellent motivator/coach to the likes of Meite, Barrow and Blackett. Why not Kelly?

I actually think Gomes likes Kelly, didn't he say something about having to teach your children a lesson when they don't follow your commands. Feels like Gomes is perhaps making it clear to Kelly that he is not indispensible (perhaps he fell into thinking he was) and this spell out of the team is his way of showing him what he needs to do week in, week out to make the team/squad. I think he'll get pre-season to prove his worth and if not either be sold close to the deadline on the 8th August or leave on a season long loan shortly after.

Gomes comes across as the kind of coach or manager who always sees the best possible version of somebody, and tries to help them achieve that best possible version. I've had the occasional teacher like that.

The best possible version of Kelly may still not be good enough, in his eyes, to play or to keep at Reading. Gomes may be an excellent motivator or coach, but it may be a different team that reaps the benefits of that, for some of our players.

No amount of encouragement from my English teacher made me anything more than "reasonably articulate, but don't make a career out of it"

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Apr 2019 15:01

all of this depends on our financial situation.

if we still have to lower the wage bill and bring in transfer fees (which I believe we may have to) to allow us to spend any money, all of this will depend on which big earners we can sell for half decent money.

think we will be in the situation where we must look to offload your mclearys, Meylers, Kellys, Baldocks, McNultys and Gunters in the squad, and then see where we are in terms of available funds.

if what money we have available allows the signing of oliveira so be it, but it may not be the case, and I think we may well be looking at keeping loanees on loan/getting new loanees in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2019 15:32

Hound
Maneki Neko

fair enough. He hasn't played for us for 2.5 years now though, with the injury and loan. Having seen Howe a couple of times, I'd put him ahead in the queue now, and there's only so many U23 types you can carry

But hes made 26 appearances for Wimbledon. That's hardly a poor effort. Anyone know any Wimbledon fans?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2019 15:34

Maneki Neko all of this depends on our financial situation.

if we still have to lower the wage bill and bring in transfer fees (which I believe we may have to) to allow us to spend any money, all of this will depend on which big earners we can sell for half decent money.

think we will be in the situation where we must look to offload your mclearys, Meylers, Kellys, Baldocks, McNultys and Gunters in the squad, and then see where we are in terms of available funds.

if what money we have available allows the signing of oliveira so be it, but it may not be the case, and I think we may well be looking at keeping loanees on loan/getting new loanees in.

Baldock has a load of appearance and goal clauses on football manager. If that is anyway realistic we might need to shift him money wise which is a shame as I dont think hes a bad player at all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 15:37

Not if he has a load of appearance and goal clauses we don’t

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Apr 2019 15:41

NewCorkSeth
Hound
Maneki Neko

But hes made 26 appearances for Wimbledon. That's hardly a poor effort. Anyone know any Wimbledon fans?

Having played virtually no foorball for 18 months and without a full season in senior football it's hardly surprising he'd hit something of a block at some stage this year particularly in what is now arguably the most physically demanding position at full back. Certainly he was playing regularly when they started their recovery under Wally Downes. It may just be that in their current situation Downes has a more defensive minded player as his preference.

I certainly wouldn't be writing him off as I'd say this loan will have done him the world of good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 15:55

I'm not writing him off. But asking the question how many Fbs you want to carry.

Being as Howe has just been given a contract they obvs see a future for him. It might be that he gets loaned next year, but I suspect not. Reckon he'll be the cover and Watson will be moved on. They'll likely give him preseason, but at 22 its pretty much make or break

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2019 16:31

Hound I'm not writing him off. But asking the question how many Fbs you want to carry.

Being as Howe has just been given a contract they obvs see a future for him. It might be that he gets loaned next year, but I suspect not. Reckon he'll be the cover and Watson will be moved on. They'll likely give him preseason, but at 22 its pretty much make or break

Well it's interesting so we have Yiadom, Gunter, Blackett and Obita as "senior" full backs.

Of those 4 we have Gunter with only a year left on his contract and possibly on the highest wages (so many could look to jettison him), Blackett who according to some sources could be out of contract this summer (I hope not) and Obita who hasnt played for a few years no due to injury. That really leave us with Yiadom alone as a senior fullback with form and fitness.

If Blackett does have another year then we have our starting full backs for next season. With Obita and Gunter (should he stay) as back ups were looking pretty good there.

Beyond that we have 2 young full backs in Watson and Richards who both have first team experience. I would be surprised if Gomes doesnt see something in Richards as he opted to play him as a defensive left winger twice this season.

Below that again and we have Howe and Medford-Smith who both seem to be ok according to our in-the-know academy watchers.

So provided there is no movement out we start next season with the following options:

RB----------------------------------------------------------LB
Yiadom--------------------------------------------------Blackett
Gunter---------------------------------------------------Obita
Watson--------------------------------------------------Richards
Howe-----------------------------------------------------Medford-Smith

If Gunter is sold then were fine. If Blacketts contract is up we're slightly less fine but still not to bad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 16:37

yep, not heard too much on Obita other than he is aiming to be fit for pre-season. Another delay and you'd fear for him even more than already

Blackett's certainly a useful player to have knocking about. Even if he is ooc, he may well get another one. Reckon Gunter will stay for his final year.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 24 Apr 2019 16:42

Maneki Neko

Wimbledon changed formation from 442 to 541. For whatever reason they believe (is it piggott?) the other lad is better suited to that role. He was doing OK before this happened but I imagine his confidence has been knocked somewhat.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Apr 2019 19:38

Victor Meldrew I am not sure that Martinez is as out of reach as posters suggest.
He has had just 6 senior appearances for Arsenal in 6 years and has had 6 loan deals.
Although Cech is retiring they have Iliev as their regular U23 keeper who is 2 years younger than Martinez and Emery may well sign another keeper.

As Sutekh posted earlier we need a new left-back, just as we did at the start of this season.
There are serious doubts about Obita ever being fit and Richards likewise-I also get the feeling that Gomes doesn't rate him.
For all that Blackett may have improved I just think he is less bad.

So much will depend upon whether we get any of the loanees-with them our form has been that of a lower mid-table side but scarily without them we looked likely to be relegated.
Whoever identified and got the fabulous 5 deserves a grateful pat on the back-presumably that person is still around so maybe the magic touch will happen again next season if we don't get all or some of these.

The saddest departure will IMHO be McCleary-on Saturday he had that breakaway chance when, in previous seasons, he would have gone past the defender and probably scored but he didn't have the pace to do so and regrettably he is no longer good enough.

The coming weeks will be when we get to know who is expected to go and Gomes appears to have a ruthless streak when needed so, amongst others, I expect Kelly Harriot < McNultyand Gunter to no longer be required as well as the likes of our Irish trio of Meyler, McShane and O'Shea (a million pounds spent for what?).

So, plenty of changes again and hopefully a better overall squad to start next season with.

Don’t forget Vic the loanees didn’t start fully integrating until the Bolton game. We have only lost three games since then, drawn six or seven and won five so our form with them in the side has been comfortably top half rather than lower mid table.

I thought GMac did well on Monday. He produced a lovely touch to set up Loader with a great chance. Both he and Gunter will be on good money but both will be in the final year of their contracts and don’t rock the boat. Useful back ups these days rather than starters.

I would hope we could offload Swift, McNulty, Bodvarsson and Aluko for decent money. McShane and O’Shea will go along with others like Kelly,Popa, Van Den Berg and Jaakkola. That’s ten departures already. Others will be loaned out. We could then bring in five or six including loanees. I would hope that one or two of our current loanees may return on season long loans next season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 19:43

Maneki Neko

Just been talking to a Womble who says he wasn't dropped, but was recalled.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Apr 2019 21:43

Victor Meldrew As Sutekh posted earlier we need a new left-back, just as we did at the start of this season.

I can see / hope Medford-Smith and Howe get integrated

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Apr 2019 22:16

If Swift goes and we don't get Baker, do we have anyone in the senior team or unders who can take decent corners, free kicks throw ins or penalties?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Apr 2019 22:39

maffff
Victor Meldrew As Sutekh posted earlier we need a new left-back, just as we did at the start of this season.

I can see / hope Medford-Smith and Howe get integrated

Dont entertain this nonsense. Left and right back are our best stocked positions right now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2019 07:13

morganb If Swift goes and we don't get Baker, do we have anyone in the senior team or unders who can take decent corners, free kicks throw ins or penalties?

Kelly

1826 posts