Luke Southwood

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Luke Southwood

by John Smith » 03 May 2019 11:40

With Martinez future in the balance and Southwood's glowing references from helping Eastleigh into the National League playoffs, when would be the right time to give him the no. 1 shirt?

I saw that the Bristol City keeper spent half a season at Solihull Moors last year before establishing himself as the number one there so clearly the experience from that division is adequate.

Those who have seen more of the U23s able to give more a detailed summary of him? Would it be a good cost-cutting choice for next season or too soon?

Old Man Andrews

Re: Luke Southwood

by Old Man Andrews » 03 May 2019 11:43

I think we should start with Southwood if we cannot get Martinez back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2019 11:44

mentioned this in the academy thread. He has had two very successful loans in Men's (ie not U23) teams in the last 2 years.

I think if not the number 1 spot, he should certainly be back up and cup keeper next year

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2019 11:48

Another homegrown keeper to take the no. 1 spot? I'm on board. The club would be pretty silly not to have been paying attention to his loan spell considering all the clean sheets and motm awards.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2019 11:51

and England caps...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2019 11:51

John Smith With Martinez future in the balance and Southwood's glowing references from helping Eastleigh into the National League playoffs, when would be the right time to give him the no. 1 shirt?

I saw that the Bristol City keeper spent half a season at Solihull Moors last year before establishing himself as the number one there so clearly the experience from that division is adequate.

Those who have seen more of the U23s able to give more a detailed summary of him? Would it be a good cost-cutting choice for next season or too soon?

What is a’detailed Summary’ ?

He’s a good keeper, athletic, good with his feet. Always thought he was a bit small but he’s 6’1” so not one of the giants but not really a midget.
Until he plays in the Championship it’s hard to know whether he’s a realistic starter yet and if we could keep Martinez then he’d have no chance, but would be happy with him as back up.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2019 11:52

Nameless
John Smith With Martinez future in the balance and Southwood's glowing references from helping Eastleigh into the National League playoffs, when would be the right time to give him the no. 1 shirt?

He’s a good keeper, athletic, good with his feet. Always thought he was a bit small but he’s 6’1” so not one of the giants but not really a midget.
Until he plays in the Championship it’s hard to know whether he’s a realistic starter yet and if we could keep Martinez then he’d have no chance, but would be happy with him as back up.

Does he dress to the right or the left?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2019 16:52

Nameless

Steve Death was 5 foot 7” or 5 foot 8” I believe so size is doesn’t necessarily bear any relation to how good a keeper is.

More than happy to go with Southwood as no. 2 as he’s still young enough to see that as real career progression and Reading have successfully done it before with Ashdown and McCarthy so why not. Would have to get in a quality Martinez type keeper as no. 1 though which means moving Walker on somewhere whether for a fee or not.

Also that would then give opportunity to Coniah Boyce-Clarke to really move on up which might in itself be enough to persuade him to stay rather than go off to one of the big clubs.

Only question left would then be Lewis Ward? Is there a keeper there who is also a real prospect?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2019 17:05

Not sure I'd be confident with him going into the season as No 1 without League experience or some Cup games with us under his belt.

Also torn on him spending the season on the bench getting 4 cup appearances - not ideal for further development.

Maybe a L1/2/ abroad loan and then the season after with us.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 May 2019 17:13

The thing I remember about Southwood in the couple of u23 games I've seen him play in was how vocal he appeared (admittedly it was at Woking!) and how good he was at organising the defence in front of him. Not sure if our seasoned pros would welcome being bossed about by a youngster?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 May 2019 17:17

I was listening to Radio Wales last night hoping Wrexham would get through. Kevin Ratcliffe described Southwood as having a bit of a swagger. He does strike me as very confident in his abilities. However the Championship is a tough old slog and I’m not sure he is ready to be our number 1 just yet. Number 2 fine. It will be a promotion for him and he will play in the Cup games.

Then depending upon how he does he could press for the first team jersey.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 03 May 2019 17:26

Zip I was listening to Radio Wales last night hoping Wrexham would get through.

Saw it on BT Sport (wife’s from just outside Wrexham) and Southwood looked decent..though not sure he was fouled for the goal not standing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 May 2019 17:29

Singing Defective
Zip I was listening to Radio Wales last night hoping Wrexham would get through.

Saw it on BT Sport (wife’s from just outside Wrexham) and Southwood looked decent..though not sure he was fouled for the goal not standing.

Ratcliffe thought he had just dropped the ball. It just wasn’t their night. Again. :evil:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 May 2019 18:29

Sutekh Steve Death was 5 foot 7” or 5 foot 8” I believe so size is doesn’t necessarily bear any relation to how good a keeper is.

I was a big fan of Steve, but at his size saw him as an outlier, plus we were in 3rd/4th div back then. You don't see many 5'7 keepers these days esp in PL or Champ.
Ian Walker played at Spurs (and for England) in the 90's, and was often considered small at around 6'1.
Snowflake Royal Not sure I'd be confident with Southwood going into the season as No 1 without League experience or some Cup games with us under his belt.
Also torn on him spending the season on the bench getting 4 cup appearances - not ideal for further development.

Agree, I couldn't really advocate him for No 1 either right now (if only because I haven't seen him enough to know).
Obv wish him the best and hopefully he'll become great, but some have talked of us making a challenge next season.
The top teams in Champ this season had starting keepers like Casilla, Krul, Randolph, etc.
Peacock-Farrell (6'4, btw) at Leeds looked a good young keeper to me this season, but they decided to sign Casilla.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2019 18:49

Joe Lumley, David Raya, Christian Walton and Peacock Farrell all had their first seasons in the championship as number 1s (this season) and all did pretty well.

David Raya even stayed as a number 2 for 2 seasons without going out on loan before stepping up. Theres plenty of evidence that it can work.

No need for a loan to develop him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 May 2019 19:22

Yes, as I said, Peacock-Farrell looked good to me this season. (He actually looked good to me last season, too). I just haven't seen Southwood play enough to be able to really endorse him as our #1 right now. But that's just me, and if he is in fact good enough for us to make a challenge in the Champ next season, and Gomes thinks that, then fine.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 May 2019 19:45

Some good saves (and bad commentary) in here: https://youtu.be/1qV_jTi0Gfo

A young Danny Loader won the Reading penalty, not big blond Ethan Coleman.

I want Southwood in the first team. Only thing I have to add is that while he's very confident with the ball at his feet, the range of his kicking has historically been poor. Barely reaches the halfway line - a big step down from Martinez who is genuinely world class on that front.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 03 May 2019 20:06

Wow, 3 years on and that Chelsea team must have more than 200 championship appearances between them, half of the reading team have played for the first team too.

Southwood has always seemed a bit small to me but hard to know whether that would affect him in the championship without giving him a chance.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 May 2019 20:29

Is Pickford too small?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2019 23:11

Denver Royal
Sutekh Steve Death was 5 foot 7” or 5 foot 8” I believe so size is doesn’t necessarily bear any relation to how good a keeper is.

I was a big fan of Steve, but at his size saw him as an outlier, plus we were in 3rd/4th div back then. You don't see many 5'7 keepers these days esp in PL or Champ.
Ian Walker played at Spurs (and for England) in the 90's, and was often considered small at around 6'1.
Snowflake Royal Not sure I'd be confident with Southwood going into the season as No 1 without League experience or some Cup games with us under his belt.

Agree, I couldn't really advocate him for No 1 either right now (if only because I haven't seen him enough to know).
Obv wish him the best and hopefully he'll become great, but some have talked of us making a challenge next season.
The top teams in Champ this season had starting keepers like Casilla, Krul, Randolph, etc.
Peacock-Farrell (6'4, btw) at Leeds looked a good young keeper to me this season, but they decided to sign Casilla.

Some talked of a challenge this season. 12th is the absolute best I'd hope for next season. And that's with a good summer.