Championship free agents... who would you have?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Championship free agents... who would you have?

by URZZZZ » 10 May 2019 01:17

Lee Gregory is always a handful, he wouldn't be bad on a free signing. Fer I've always rated but I would imagine him to be on pretty high wages. Wouldn't take many of the others. A couple of the Brentford lads possibly. Not Nick Powell, he's injury prone and quite frankly not very good

But I wouldn't imagine Gomes would be looking too much at the OOC players around the Championship. Generally, players are released from a club for a reason...

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 May 2019 08:47

Not championship but I'd take Tom Lockyer from Bristol rovers, especially if we lose Moore. Apparently agreed to go to Portsmouth though.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 10 May 2019 13:37

I would personally want Kelle Roos from Derby. He can be a really talented keeper on his day. 6 clean sheets for them last season in 16 games. I also wouldnt mind seeing Tommy Elphick coming back. Both are being released this summer.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 10 May 2019 13:42

JamieY26 Conor Washngton (Weren't we in for him a couple of years ago?), Martin Olsson and Leroy Fer for me.

Was going to agree then I looked at his stats. 2016-17 (QPR) - 40 apps 7 goals 2 assists. 2017-18 (QPR) - 33 apps 6 goals 1 assist. 2018-19 - 15 apps (Sheffield united) 0 goals 1 assist. He's been getting worse.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 May 2019 13:42

Looking at some of the Prem free agents, I'd certainly take Ayite or Kebano. Two quality players in a position we've lacked in a while, and I can't imagine they'll be on that high of a wage. I've always thought Kadeem Harris at Cardiff would be a decent option as well

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 May 2019 18:02

Saw Kebano play for Fulham U23s and thought he looked promising, if a little raw. Then someone told me he was 27.

Don't think we have very much chance with Fer, who will surely go to a top-flight club somewhere.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 May 2019 22:20

URZZZZ Lee Gregory is always a handful, he wouldn't be bad on a free signing. Fer I've always rated but I would imagine him to be on pretty high wages. Wouldn't take many of the others. A couple of the Brentford lads possibly. Not Nick Powell, he's injury prone and quite frankly not very good

But I wouldn't imagine Gomes would be looking too much at the OOC players around the Championship. Generally, players are released from a club for a reason...

He's a handful but like Cooper only effective in a team that play pub football

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 10 May 2019 22:33

SCIAG Saw Kebano play for Fulham U23s and thought he looked promising, if a little raw. Then someone told me he was 27.

Don't think we have very much chance with Fer, who will surely go to a top-flight club somewhere.

This is the same Kebano that used to start on the bench when Fulham had Aluko...

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 May 2019 08:10

Yoann Barbet
Tommy Elphick
Jack Rodwell
Josh McEachran
Josh Vela
Marco Matias
Gary Hooper
Last edited by royalp-we on 11 May 2019 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2019 08:15

I really don't get the obsession with Elphick. He was less good than Ilori when here, he's 31 and Hull have released him.

Where's the quality?

Miazga showed us we need an actual good CB.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 May 2019 08:23

No obsession, but with McShane and O’Shea leaving he’s a player that can do a job. I thought Elphick did well in his short loan here; He’s a leader and done a decent job for both Hull and Villa this season.

Do we have a spare £3m to sign an ilori or miazga :?:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 May 2019 10:00

royalp-we No obsession, but with McShane and O’Shea leaving he’s a player that can do a job. I thought Elphick did well in his short loan here; He’s a leader and done a decent job for both Hull and Villa this season.

Didn’t he basically get injured after 30 mins and then play in the 0-4 against Ipswich?

He’d be ok I think but would much rather a Miazga type

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2019 11:16

Hound
royalp-we No obsession, but with McShane and O’Shea leaving he’s a player that can do a job. I thought Elphick did well in his short loan here; He’s a leader and done a decent job for both Hull and Villa this season.

Didn’t he basically get injured after 30 mins and then play in the 0-4 against Ipswich?

He’d be ok I think but would much rather a Miazga type

He was fooking awful in that Ipswich game.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 May 2019 11:27

Snowflake Royal I really don't get the obsession with Elphick. He was less good than Ilori when here, he's 31 and Hull have released him.

Where's the quality?

Miazga showed us we need an actual good CB.

+1000

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2019 11:41

Don'think there's much value to be had with the freebies floating around the Championship.

If we're looking for cheap signings who can play the Gomes way then I definitely think we'll be looking to places like the Iberian peninsula and the low countries.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 May 2019 16:08

royalp-we Jack Rodwell
Josh McEachran

Eight or nine years ago, those two (and Wilshere) were the future of England's midfield.

Think something's gone badly wrong with Rodwell, whereas McEachran has a better chance of flourishing in the right environment.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 May 2019 17:43

Wallsy Jonathan Low has just suggested Reading try and convince Petr Cech not to retire. It’s going to be a long summer!

No he didn't. Someone on his lunchtime q&a asked him about signing Cech and he basically said Cech was retiring and even if he wasn't Reading wouldn't stand a chance.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 May 2019 18:03

sandman
Wallsy Jonathan Low has just suggested Reading try and convince Petr Cech not to retire. It’s going to be a long summer!

No he didn't. Someone on his lunchtime q&a asked him about signing Cech and he basically said Cech was retiring and even if he wasn't Reading wouldn't stand a chance.

Martinez > Cech.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 May 2019 19:14

URZZZZ Looking at some of the Prem free agents, I'd certainly take Ayite or Kebano. Two quality players in a position we've lacked in a while, and I can't imagine they'll be on that high of a wage. I've always thought Kadeem Harris at Cardiff would be a decent option as well

Wonder if Gary Madine might be available? Has been on loan at Sheff Utd (who may not want him in PL), and it's possible Cardiff /Warnock may not want him back, even in Champ?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 May 2019 19:22

Denver Royal
URZZZZ Looking at some of the Prem free agents, I'd certainly take Ayite or Kebano. Two quality players in a position we've lacked in a while, and I can't imagine they'll be on that high of a wage. I've always thought Kadeem Harris at Cardiff would be a decent option as well

Wonder if Gary Madine might be available? Has been on loan at Sheff Utd (who may not want him in PL), and it's possible Cardiff /Warnock may not want him back, even in Champ?

Funnily enough, I was thinking this, but apparently Madine was a bit homesick at Cardiff and wanted to be further up norf' closer to home so not sure he'd join us in all honesty. He's the sort of character I think we lack, can really rile up the opposition but think it's unlikely

Would be surprised if United go back for Madine and Hogan though, I wouldn't be against looking at Hogan, I recall there was speculation a couple of years ago but he seemed to have fallen off the track a little. I think it's always handy looking at squad fillers for promoted teams who were bit part players in the Champ, but won't feature in the Prem, Jordan Rhodes and Kieran Dowell are another two that spring to mind