Pre season tour

603 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pre season tour

by Denver Royal » 28 Jul 2019 22:34

Ranty, nice summary of the game and players, excellent write up.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Jul 2019 22:47

For me the team picks itself at the moment with others knocking on the door. In my opinion we are stronger than we were pre Gomes and I think we are one striker away from being stronger than end of last season.

Keeper worries me. Neither assured at all. Virgina has no presence about him and surprised how small he is.

Starting 11...

..............................Joao........................
Yiadom... Miazga...Moore...Blackett
...................Swift.....Rinomata................
Olise.............Loader..............Barrow..
................... Meite...............

Morison and Adam will be great additions

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 29 Jul 2019 06:45

paultheroyal For me the team picks itself at the moment with others knocking on the door. In my opinion we are stronger than we were pre Gomes and I think we are one striker away from being stronger than end of last season.

Keeper worries me. Neither assured at all. Virgina has no presence about him and surprised how small he is.

Starting 11...

I wouldn’t be surprised if McIntyre starts next weekend. Gomes really rates him.

I’d prefer swift in the 10 role and Barrow is probably just ahead of Barrett at the moment

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2019 07:00

gazzer, loyal royal
paultheroyal For me the team picks itself at the moment with others knocking on the door. In my opinion we are stronger than we were pre Gomes and I think we are one striker away from being stronger than end of last season.

Starting 11...

I wouldn’t be surprised if McIntyre starts next weekend. Gomes really rates him.

I’d prefer swift in the 10 role and Barrow is probably just ahead of Barrett at the moment

But who partners Rino?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 07:17

Starting 11...

Think Barrett will be ahead of Olise.

Huge fan of Olise (like everyone else) but happy for him to start the season on the bench. Barrett’s has a solid preseason

Subs: Walker, Morrison, Nova, Baldock, Olise, Richards, Adam

Not quite sure what we do with McIntyre at the moment. Too good to not be in the squad

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2019 08:02

Hound

Starting 11...

Huge fan of Olise (like everyone else) but happy for him to start the season on the bench. Barrett’s has a solid preseason

Not quite sure what we do with McIntyre at the moment. Too good to not be in the squad

Clearly he gets a spot on the bench instead of Richards.
We still have cover right across the back 4. Having been the starter for the first X1 throughout preseason it would be a kick in the teeth for McIntyre to not be at least on the bench. I’d have him there ahead of Morrison.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 08:04

Yeah it’s a real tough one. You don’t sign Morrison to not play, and no real point having 2 cbs on the bench (esp if some doubt in Blacketts fitness)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 08:09

He's 6ft 3 and only 1cm shorter than Martinez. Hardly small.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jul 2019 08:12

Stranded

You beat me to it. Not big compared to some of the giants nowadays but plenty tall enough if his technique is OK.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jul 2019 08:34

Nameless
Hound

Starting 11...

We still have cover right across the back 4. Having been the starter for the first X1 throughout preseason it would be a kick in the teeth for McIntyre to not be at least on the bench. I’d have him there ahead of Morrison.

Unfortunately for McIntyre, Gomes has to do what’s best for the team. Having two CB’s on the bench is pointless really, so whilst he’s a better player than Richards, I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesnt make the 18. Of course Blackett may be out anyway in which case Richards would probably start with both CB’s being on the bench anyway

Will be interesting to see who partners Moore though. There’s a case for all three of them really. Morrison’s goal yesterday may have put him as favourite right now

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2019 08:36

URZZZZ
Nameless
Hound

Unfortunately for McIntyre, Gomes has to do what’s best for the team. Having two CB’s on the bench is pointless really, so whilst he’s a better player than Richards, I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesnt make the 18. Of course Blackett may be out anyway in which case Richards would probably start with both CB’s being on the bench anyway

Will be interesting to see who partners Moore though. There’s a case for all three of them really. Morrison’s goal yesterday may have put him as favourite right now

Not a chance Miazga isn't starting. Wouldn't shock me if there isn't something in the loan agreement specifying he has to start when fit.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2019 08:46

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Nameless

Not a chance Miazga isn't starting. Wouldn't shock me if there isn't something in the loan agreement specifying he has to start when fit.

Doubt there are ever clauses like that. It’s more usual I believe that there is a financial angle. So if he plays Chelsea pay his wages, if he doesn’t then we pick up a chunk. It’s a major incentive to pick him but there would be something terribly wrong in a contract forcing you to pick a player for every game if he wasn’t actually the best option.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2019 08:49

Hound Yeah it’s a real tough one. You don’t sign Morrison to not play, and no real point having 2 cbs on the bench (esp if some doubt in Blacketts fitness)

Well we had 2 centre backs on the bench quite often last season.
And when both of those centre backs can also cover full back positions it’s a pretty good mix !
You probably don’t sign any player not to play but you can only fit in so many.
Morrison is a short term stop gap, McIntyre is a long term prospect who will either be a key part of the team for a long time or make us a lot of money. Sticking him back in the u23 would be totally wasteful, sending him out on loan leaves us short on centre backs.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jul 2019 08:54

RoyalBlue
Stranded

You beat me to it. Not big compared to some of the giants nowadays but plenty tall enough if his technique is OK.

Whatever his size he doesn’t look tall ! He seems to lack confidence and from what I saw at the Peterborough game he doesn’t ‘stand tall’, he almost looked hunched over whereas Martinez looked big and upright. Not sure I’ve explained that well but there is a world of difference in the way each will be perceived by team mates and opponents. Hopefully it will only take a couple of games for Jaoa to settle down and gain confidence. He must have talent, we just need him to show it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 08:56

Nameless
RoyalBlue
Stranded

Whatever his size he doesn’t look tall ! He seems to lack confidence and from what I saw at the Peterborough game he doesn’t ‘stand tall’, he almost looked hunched over whereas Martinez looked big and upright. Not sure I’ve explained that well but there is a world of difference in the way each will be perceived by team mates and opponents. Hopefully it will only take a couple of games for Jaoa to settle down and gain confidence. He must have talent, we just need him to show it.

That will come with games. He still hasn't played a competitive first team game (so clearly a risk) but if he starts next week and makes a couple of decent saves to keep a clean sheet and we win, then he will begin to grow in stature and maybe "look" his height.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jul 2019 09:04

Stranded

I'd question them stats or there is a big dip in that goal!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 09:07

paultheroyal
Stranded

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/first ... -virginia/

Other sources have him at 1.92m or 6ft 3"

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jul 2019 09:09

Stranded
paultheroyal
Stranded

He looks small and as others were commenting around me yesterday, in the pre match huggle fest he was noticeably shorter than some of the players. We must have big players.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 09:14

paultheroyal
Stranded
paultheroyal

He looks small and as others were commenting around me yesterday, in the pre match huggle fest he was noticeably shorter than some of the players. We must have big players.

Looking at the available heights on the web page he was the tallest player on the pitch for us in the 1st half by about 3 to 4 cms.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jul 2019 09:17

Stranded
paultheroyal
Stranded

Looking at the available heights on the web page he was the tallest player on the pitch for us in the 1st half by about 3 to 4 cms.

Like I said, I would question them stats.

Either way, presence wise, he genuinely looked like a fish out of water and "school boy". He needs to improve and fast, otherwise, I can see our fan base destroy the poor lad. I hope he is amazing, because if Sam Walker is plan B then we need to be thinking up a plan c and fast.

603 posts