Nick Shorey joins Accademy as Scout

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Nick Shorey joins Accademy as Scout

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Jul 2019 15:34

Royals leg-end Nick Shorey has returned to the club in a scouting capacity for the academy. Full story from J-Low below:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/nick ... c-16520049

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Nick Shorey joins Accademy as Scout

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2019 15:53

Nice to see him following in his dads footsteps.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 02 Jul 2019 16:31

Hendo Nice to see him following in his dads footsteps.

Well we need a good fit left back, hopefully he can find one.

Good to see him back, was always a big fan, especially in his first stint here... What did we pay for him £25000 or something stupid.. Absolute bargain and looked good from the moment he arrived.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2019 17:44

Another good character to have around. Management structure within the club needed rebuilding and strengthening. More so if the long term focus is going to on player development.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 18:19

Hmm, bit conflicted on this, club legend of course, best left back we've had. Only England cap in almost forever. Absolutely loved him first time round. One of the key players for us with Sidwell and Kitson.

But also one of the players whose head was turned in the PL and agitated to leave. Likely to be part of the squad fallout that saw our form nosedive and relegation happen.

And of course then he came back to set things right and was a bit pants and past it

So I'm not sure about good character. Hopefully it works out and his influence can bring back some of the 106 spirit and experience. It would be great for him to do well and leave out the slightly sour taste his leaving and then returning left.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Jul 2019 20:29

Snowflake Royal Hmm, bit conflicted on this, club legend of course, best left back we've had. Only England cap in almost forever. Absolutely loved him first time round. One of the key players for us with Sidwell and Kitson.

But also one of the players whose head was turned in the PL and agitated to leave. Likely to be part of the squad fallout that saw our form nosedive and relegation happen.

And of course then he came back to set things right and was a bit pants and past it

So I'm not sure about good character. Hopefully it works out and his influence can bring back some of the 106 spirit and experience. It would be great for him to do well and leave out the slightly sour taste his leaving and then returning left.

Slightly unfair about head being turned. Anybody in that position would have done so and I bear no ill will towards our greatest ever left back and one of the best the league has ever seen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jul 2019 11:20

bit that interested me a bit as well was about Gilkes - wondered where he had gone. Don't think the change in role was ever announced was it?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Jul 2019 13:24

I doubt Shorey 'having his head turned' as a player, and having a desire to remain in the PL and play in Europe years ago, will have any effect on his ability to do a job for us now as a scout (which is really all I care about at this stage).

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jul 2019 12:31

^this

But *somebody had to raise it as a concern

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2019 17:52

Someone else brought up his character before me.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 09:35

Snowflake Royal Someone else brought up his character before me.

I believe you were the first one to question his character though :?

Lower West Another good character to have around. Management structure within the club needed rebuilding and strengthening. More so if the long term focus is going to on player development.

Snowflake Royal Hmm, bit conflicted on this, club legend of course, best left back we've had. Only England cap in almost forever. Absolutely loved him first time round. One of the key players for us with Sidwell and Kitson.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 09:58

Hendo

Lower West Another good character to have around. Management structure within the club needed rebuilding and strengthening. More so if the long term focus is going to on player development.

I was. Didn't say I wasn't.

I just said I didn't bring it up to people who said his character doesn't matter.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2019 10:00

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

I was. Didn't say I wasn't.

I just said I didn't bring it up to people who said his character doesn't matter.

Semanticsflake royal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 12:52

There's enough to blame me for, I'm not taking the fall for everything.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Jul 2019 13:18

But also one of the players whose head was turned in the PL and agitated to leave

this is so bent

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jul 2019 16:52

Maneki Neko
But also one of the players whose head was turned in the PL and agitated to leave

this is so bent

Yeah.

Shame on him for wanting more money and to better his career

I think Ian is the sort of person to never have had a job promotion because he is comfortable working the drive thru

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 17:04

The Enfield Royal71
Maneki Neko

this is so bent

Yeah.

I think Ian is the sort of person to never have had a job promotion because he is comfortable working the drive thru

Nope.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2019 17:13

Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71
Maneki Neko
this is so bent

Yeah.

Nope.

What a strange, barely related mini rant to try and insult you..

Christ I get not agreeing that a player who had his head turned equals he has a bad attitude but turning that into a personal dig at you is childish and odd.

I forget sometime when I disagree with you that you do put up with quite a lot of random crap like this on here. I've probably been guilty of it at some point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 17:28

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
The Enfield Royal71
Yeah.

Nope.

What a strange, barely related mini rant to try and insult you..

Christ I get not agreeing that a player who had his head turned equals he has a bad attitude but turning that into a personal dig at you is childish and odd.

I forget sometime when I disagree with you that you do put up with quite a lot of random crap like this on here. I've probably been guilty of it at some point.

It only upsets me if it comes from someone I respect, so never worried by DD.

We have our disagreements Seth but I have no issue with you. It's opinions and a discussion board.

I'm not saying Shorey is a bad character, or will be a bad character. But welcoming him as a good character given the way the team fell apart while he was here and the way he then left, I do disagree with.

All that matters is how he acts now and how he can do his job. And as I said, maybe being able to bring in some 106 experience and feeling will be good. I'm just not prepared to welcome him with open arms as if there never any issues.

I also find it bizarre how I make one passing comment on my personal opinion and suddenly half a dozen people are piling in turning Shorey coming back into being about what I think, not about him.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 05 Jul 2019 17:33

I don't think that it's unreasonable for someone to criticise Shorey's conduct/performances in 07/08 - I seem to remember Brian McDermott referring to it in an interview when Shorey returned in 2012. I've no issue with a player wanting to move on - plenty of Reading players have been in that position - but I think Shorey's levels dropped below what they should have been that season and he ended up getting dropped in the run-in if I remember correctly after that dismal Fulham game.

That said, I agree with the view that the circumstances behind his departure as a player first time around aren't especially relevant here. It was over 10 years ago at a different stage of his professional life - the only thing that really matters is how good he is at his new role.