CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Aug 2019 06:35

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Heard from an immediate family member of a current first team squad member. Apparently when the news broke Liam Moore stood up as captain in the dressing room and asked why we were signing him given Miazga was on the way and McIntyre and Osho had done well in pre-season. Gomes said he was just as confused and didn't know we'd signed him until it was on the club website.

I encourage your scepticism- it's entirely possible that:
- Gomes was lying to spare the players' feelings
- Either the player or family member lied before it got to me
- I am lying now

Not sure I agree Osho did well in pre-season tbh. Looked pretty clumsy to me.

Agree Miazga and Morrison is a surprise given McIntyre did well. Especially with us still to bring in a proper midfielder who can play 90 minutes regularly.

But three senior CBs and a young player breaking through isn't exactly over stocked.. just looks it compared to a lot of our other options

Yeh was gonna say. Osho is nowhere near the first team, so this is clearly bollocks. Also was Miazga "on his way" when Morrison signed? I think the more likely scenario is that it looked like Miazga wasn't going to happen, we signed Morrison, then Miazga became available and it was too good an opportunity to miss. Or we just felt we needed two more senior CBs, which is just as likely tbf.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Aug 2019 09:24

Morrison has played RB as well, hasn't he? If you discount Gunter, who's on the way out and Obita who's still some way from full fitness, we've only got 1 senior full back and 5 senior defenders in total.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 05 Aug 2019 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Aug 2019 09:29

From Despair To Where? Morrison has played RB as well, hasn't he? If you discount Gunter, who's on the way out and Obita who's still some way from full fitness, we've only got 1 senior full back.

I thought we would play him RB, Yiadom LB v Wednesday

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Aug 2019 09:33

That was my assumption.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Aug 2019 09:52

And almost certainly stronger.

One other thought on "Why sign Morrison?" is that maybe a bid for Moore might come in...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2019 10:09

Not after Saturday I doubt

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Aug 2019 22:11

From Despair To Where? Morrison has played RB as well, hasn't he? If you discount Gunter, who's on the way out and Obita who's still some way from full fitness, we've only got 1 senior full back and 5 senior defenders in total.

I may be wrong, but I think you're counting McIntyre but not Blackett. I would absolutely call Blackett a full back, it's where he has played most of his games for us.

Also think it's difficult to make a case against counting Richards now, even if you're a little reticent to count McIntyre. He's played 24 league games for us which is more than Cooper under Adkins and Clarke for example.

Neither of them undermine your point very much as they're not likely to play right back any time soon. But as Gomes seems to favour attacking full backs, I would suggest a converted centre back who apparently isn't very good on the ball is unlikely to be his choice to play there.