Where will we finish?

227 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where will we finish?

by Hound » 18 Aug 2019 16:50

Hoping today (Cardiff) isn’t a false dawn. We really did look the part, more than any game I can remember in recent history

You’d think too half minimum if we can get any consistency and momentum, and hopefully knocking on the door of the P/Os

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 18:15

Hound Hoping today (Cardiff) isn’t a false dawn. We really did look the part, more than any game I can remember in recent history

You’d think too half minimum if we can get any consistency and momentum, and hopefully knocking on the door of the P/Os

Hard to imagine this is a false dawn.

It wasn't three lucky breakaways. We had a plan, a solid defence,
a great midfield and an excellent strike force.

We should improve significantly, too, as the players get to know each other better.

Then factor in the reality that we have had a long time with relatively low morale.

Should we get a few wins and be top eight I can only see us getting even better

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Aug 2019 18:23

You can still get 3/1 for us to finish top half. And 150/1 to win the league...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 18:25

Pepe the Horseman You can still get 3/1 for us to finish top half. And 150/1 to win the league...

Both of those are good bets.

Can you get 1/5th odds for EW (1-2-3) ?

Not saying we will win, or get auto, but I fancy us to be top eight at worst

and therefore might be much, much lower odds for top spot.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Aug 2019 18:28

Snowball
Pepe the Horseman You can still get 3/1 for us to finish top half. And 150/1 to win the league...

1/5 for top 4.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 19:30

Pepe the Horseman
Snowball

1/5 for top 4.

Oooooooh!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2019 19:35

I think we'll see some inconsistencies with this team. We'll have days like today where we'll trounce a team 3 or 4 nil but others where we're shocking and get turned over, like Sheffield Wednesday.

I think top half isn't unrealistic but too early to say if we're a top 6 outfit. We have the hallmark potential but need to be a more consistent team. When have we last won 4-5 on the bounce in the league?

Need to keep Puscas for example fit!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2019 19:39

Snowball
Hound Hoping today (Cardiff) isn’t a false dawn. We really did look the part, more than any game I can remember in recent history

We should improve significantly, too, as the players get to know each other better.

Then factor in the reality that we have had a long time with relatively low morale.

Cardiff were massively shite though.
They've shipped 8 in 3 games against us, Wigan and Luton.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Aug 2019 19:44

Thought that looked decent and quite dangerous until we scored

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2019 19:45

Our oppositions scouting teams will be doing some rapid re-visits

Got a good feeling

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2019 20:05

Snowball Thought Cardiff [edit] looked decent and quite dangerous until we scored

I agree, for the first 10mins thought they are team who'd bounce back to the PL and we'd be lucky to draw. They are by no means an poor team. And to me, it's not like they just lost it... they still showed their ability throughout the match. It's just that we did everything a million times better.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Aug 2019 20:06

AthleticoSpizz Our oppositions scouting teams will be doing some rapid re-visits

Got a good feeling

I just fear us being found out. There is a way to play against 3-5-2.

We don't want to do a Stam and have only one method that works until we're found out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2019 20:24

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowball Thought Cardiff [edit] looked decent and quite dangerous until we scored

I agree, for the first 10mins thought they are team who'd bounce back to the PL and we'd be lucky to draw. They are by no means an poor team. And to me, it's not like they just lost it... they still showed their ability throughout the match. It's just that we did everything a million times better.

They didn’t play well today but I feel they got confused by our physicality and couldn’t handle Ovie and Swift. And then a great Puscas goal

They’ll be top 10, I’ve no doubt about it. Plenty of good players

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2019 20:34

Snowball

It's a bit of a hall mark of the Championship that struggling sides will have the odd cracking result and performance. I think it's a bit early to be getting carried away with talk of top 10 when we've won our first points of the season.

Far too many false dawns in the past to get me excited until we string a few results together.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2019 20:36

Yep. I do think back to the Villa performance in Stam season 2 when we were saying similar

But I feel we have a hell of a lot more quality and options nowadays

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2019 20:37

Snowflake Royal
Snowball

It's a bit of a hall mark of the Championship that struggling sides will have the odd cracking result and performance. I think it's a bit early to be getting carried away with talk of top 10 when we've won our first points of the season.

Far too many false dawns in the past to get me excited until we string a few results together.

Yeah this 100%. The "only" difference is that we've got a lot of new personnel, supposedly of a better quality, but I agree. Ecstatic with the performance but keeping on the STG side of things, let's not get too carried away. Looking at the Cardiff forum they reckon that is one of their worst performances in some time, some say under Warnock - though some of that could be down to losing against bottom of the table pointless reading.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2019 20:46

Oddschecker still has us the favourites for relegation. 8)

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Aug 2019 20:55

I think there's lots to be optimistic and confident of this season being a good one but we need to improve our away form. Once Jose gets our tactics on the road right and we can pick up results away from the Madejski then we'll be much higher up the table than what was achieved last year.

I hope we play the solid 3 centre backs vs West Brom on Wednesday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2019 21:07

Hound Yep. I do think back to the Villa performance in Stam season 2 when we were saying similar

But I feel we have a hell of a lot more quality and options nowadays

Masses of potential for sure. Puscas looks a real find.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 19 Aug 2019 07:59

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Snowball

Yeah this 100%. The "only" difference is that we've got a lot of new personnel, supposedly of a better quality, but I agree. Ecstatic with the performance but keeping on the STG side of things, let's not get too carried away. Looking at the Cardiff forum they reckon that is one of their worst performances in some time, some say under Warnock - though some of that could be down to losing against bottom of the table pointless reading.

Cardiff's game plan is to just bully teams into submission by lumping in long diagonal "fight" balls and feed off the scraps.
Our back 3 stood up to them and, together with the midfield which tidied up pretty much everything, prevented them from getting any momentum.

We'll struggle more against teams who work the ball in behind our wingbacks (if we continue with that formation) but that understanding to cover between the 3 and the CDM should come with time.

227 posts