MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Adam Federici

304 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Adam Federici

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 20:44

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip I stick by my view that we need to play three at the back on Sunday so Morrison to come into the side. I would go with Low’s side which would mean no place for Swift, Meite or Boye.
So Rafael in goal with Moore, Miazga and Morrison at centre back. Yiadom and Richards playing as wing backs with Pele at CDM and Ejaria and Rinomhota in central midfield. Joao and Puscas up top.

Very tough on certain players but we have to stop conceding goals especially from set pieces. We could also do with providing more threat from set pieces. So Morrison in against what will be a big and physical Cardiff side.

Odd considering most of the times we have looked truly dangerous this season have come when Swift has been involved in the build up.

It’s a difficult one because Swift has been more creative so far this season. No issue with him in for Ejaria but we really do need Morrison in for this one as Cardiff will target us at set pieces. I would take a 0-0 on Sunday.

We literally just conceded a goal from a corner last night with 3 CBs on the pitch. All 11 players in the box too.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 14 Aug 2019 20:50

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Odd considering most of the times we have looked truly dangerous this season have come when Swift has been involved in the build up.

It’s a difficult one because Swift has been more creative so far this season. No issue with him in for Ejaria but we really do need Morrison in for this one as Cardiff will target us at set pieces. I would take a 0-0 on Sunday.

We literally just conceded a goal from a corner last night with 3 CBs on the pitch. All 11 players in the box too.

AND no-one on the post :evil:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2019 21:09

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Odd considering most of the times we have looked truly dangerous this season have come when Swift has been involved in the build up.

Whose to say it wouldn’t have been worse with just two CB’s last night.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 21:18

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Who's to say we wouldn't have scored from open play with an extra man in midfield?

Speculating on what might have been never did anyone much good in football. The fact is we conceded from a set piece last night. Continuing with the same formation to add security for set pieces is flawed reasoning from the start.

oxf*rd playing Cardiffs game. Play our formation and football. We have the attacking players to score plenty from open play and just haven't yet. Once it clicks and the first 11 is fit and have played together enough we might leak goals but should have the ability to outscore.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 21:19

Fox Talbot
NewCorkSeth
Zip

AND no-one on the post :evil:

Was a nice glancing header though. If we ever score from a corner again I would love to see one like that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2019 21:21

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth We literally just conceded a goal from a corner last night with 3 CBs on the pitch. All 11 players in the box too.

Who's to say we wouldn't have scored from open play with an extra man in midfield?

Speculating on what might have been never did anyone much good in football. The fact is we conceded from a set piece last night. Continuing with the same formation to add security for set pieces is flawed reasoning from the start.

oxf*rd playing Cardiffs game. Play our formation and football. We have the attacking players to score plenty from open play and just haven't yet. Once it clicks and the first 11 is fit and have played together enough we might leak goals but should have the ability to outscore.

We will see Seth. I’m not as confident as you just yet. Let’s not forget we conceded five in our first two games so in that respect only conceding one was an improvement albeit against lower League opposition.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Aug 2019 22:23

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

We will see Seth. I’m not as confident as you just yet. Let’s not forget we conceded five in our first two games so in that respect only conceding one was an improvement albeit against lower League opposition.

I'm always optimistic at the start of a season.

I think we need to play to our strengths and 3 at the back restricts us too much. It means leaving out an important attacking outlet.

Let's face it, were never going to be good at set pieces. Especially if leaving Swift out for more defensive players. What we are good at is fluid attacking movement through the centre of the pitch. Let's play to that strength and support Rinomhota and Swift any way possible.

Maybe
-------------------Rafael
Yiadom--Moore---Miazga--Richards
--------------------Pele
----------------Rino---Swift
Meite----------------------------------Boye
--------------------Joao

Would make sense as it leaves us with Pele as an anchor man to shield the defenders a little better when our Wing Backs are marauding up the flanks.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2019 22:39

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Who's to say we wouldn't have scored from open play with an extra man in midfield?

I think we need to play to our strengths and 3 at the back restricts us too much. It means leaving out an important attacking outlet.

Let's face it, were never going to be good at set pieces. Especially if leaving Swift out for more defensive players. What we are good at is fluid attacking movement through the centre of the pitch. Let's play to that strength and support Rinomhota and Swift any way possible.

Maybe
--------------------Pele
--------------------Joao

Would make sense as it leaves us with Pele as an anchor man to shield the defenders a little better when our Wing Backs are marauding up the flanks.

I’m not convinced. Playing Pele in the CDM role didn’t work well against a poor Hull side last week. I also think Puscas needs to start and I do like the idea of two upfront and play him alongside Joao.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Aug 2019 00:08

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Maybe
--------------------Pele
--------------------Joao

I’m not convinced. Playing Pele in the CDM role didn’t work well against a poor Hull side last week. I also think Puscas needs to start and I do like the idea of two upfront and play him alongside Joao.

His best spell in the game came when he was playing CDM. In the second half before Adam came on.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Aug 2019 00:28

———Ejaria—Rino—Swift———
——Meite——Joao——Puscas——

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Aug 2019 00:56

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Maybe
--------------------Pele
--------------------Joao

Hull and Cardiff are completely different though. We needed 5 at the back against Hull to try and counter attack their wingers (best two in the league). We went with four and were ripped apart on the flanks with not enough bodies in the middle of the box because the CB’s were getting dragged across to deal with the wingers

Cardiff are different. They play long hunting for second balls. We’ll need more in CM to pick up the loose plays. They’re not exactly too much of an attacking outlet so I think a 3rd CB will be a waste of a position

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 15 Aug 2019 01:48

thanks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2019 07:10

I love all the talk about needing Swift for his set pieces when they're frequently consistently awful.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Aug 2019 07:49

I don't buy into the calls to play 3 centre backs. We're at home, we need to take the game to Cardiff. We need a win really, a draw would be ok but we have 2 away games coming up that we'll do well to get anything from. This is our best chance for points until Charlton at home.

I would play a 4-2-3-1 formation

Rafael, Yiadom, Morrison, Moore, Richards, Rinomhota, Pele, Ejaria, Swift, Meite, Puscas

I'd have a bench that'll allow us to change shape if we need to adapt during the game to play 5-3-2 or 3-5-2

Bench: Virginia, Miazga, McIntyre Adam, Boye, Olise, Joao

Miazga has not done much wrong but Morrison would be better against set pieces.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2019 10:08

Snowflake Royal I love all the talk about needing Swift for his set pieces when they're frequently consistently awful.

Not consistently awful though are they. Sometimes they are brilliant, though agree the majority are shit

Just don’t see anyone else taking them any better though

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 15 Aug 2019 10:14

I like having 3 at the back - especially when your full backs aren't the best defenders and you're not playing with wingers.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Aug 2019 13:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal I love all the talk about needing Swift for his set pieces when they're frequently consistently awful.

Not consistently awful though are they. Sometimes they are brilliant, though agree the majority are shit

Caskey, Shorey then Hart. Three players that could consistently produce quality at set pieces.

Adam is meant to be of that standard isn’t he but just hasn’t had much chance with free kicks as yet.

Swift isn’t quite there on consistency but when he is they’re well worth the wait

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Aug 2019 13:50

Sutekh
Hound

Caskey, Shorey then Hart. Three players that could consistently produce quality at set pieces.

Adam is meant to be of that standard isn’t he but just hasn’t had much chance with free kicks as yet.

Swift isn’t quite there on consistency but when he is they’re well worth the wait

His FK v Wigan last year was class.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2019 17:40

I'd rather someone who consistently delivered decent set pieces than frequently delivered shit ones with the odd blinder.

Obita's corners are fairly decent for the most part. Or at least were a few seasons ago.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Aug 2019 10:17

Looks like 3/5/2 on Sunday 8)

304 posts