Gunter, GMac and 'the Reading way'?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Gunter, GMac and 'the Reading way'?

by Forbury Lion » 16 Aug 2019 12:10

Royalwaster I agree it's a strange way to treat two of our most long serving players ...
On the face of it, I agree.
Maybe they've not taken the news well and are moping around/being unprofessional? (sounds very out of character for these two though).

Perhaps they are not being forced as a punishment but as a positive way to allow them to play U21 games to gain/retain match fitness, in which case they need to spend time with the U21's to actually fit into the system.

Personally, My view is that the window is closed. The manager has made it clear they do not feature in his plans but he should be happy to keep them as squad players while they work on securing a move when the window opens.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2019 12:41

Forbury Lion
Royalwaster I agree it's a strange way to treat two of our most long serving players ...
On the face of it, I agree.
Maybe they've not taken the news well and are moping around/being unprofessional? (sounds very out of character for these two though).

Perhaps they are not being forced as a punishment but as a positive way to allow them to play U21 games to gain/retain match fitness, in which case they need to spend time with the U21's to actually fit into the system.

Personally, My view is that the window is closed. The manager has made it clear they do not feature in his plans but he should be happy to keep them as squad players while they work on securing a move when the window opens.

It's only closed if they want to move to a PL or Champ club - they can move to a lower division or abroad if an opportunity comes.

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with what is said above - these players are not part of first team plans and certainly going my the reaction of most on here to Gunter when he plays, I would have thought people would be happy about that. So if they are to be playing with the U23s whilst looking at moving on then make sense to train there. The coaches will update Gomes and team with how they are doing and if they are needed they will be called upon - as good professionals, I would expect them to step in regardless of the circumstance and if successful, know they have a chance to retain a place if they perform well enough.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Aug 2019 13:34

Nameless Asking players who didn't make the cut for the first team squad to join in with the reserves is kind of how it has always been isn't it ?

Yes, is this in any way a departure from the past? Maybe those having a problem with it could weigh in? Thanks.

(Btw, I'd be surprised if GMac has a beef with the club. He's continued to draw a handsome salary in recent seasons and gave little in return because he was injured and unavailable. Not his fault, but that was the reality to the club).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2019 13:43

Agree GMac probably doesn’t have any real beef with the club - he doesn’t particularly come over that he does

Always find it harsh using his injuries as a stick to beat him (not saying you are) - being as he got injured in 16/17 by Stam continuing to play him constantly when he could barely walk, and then breaking his ankle on a pitch which I thought wasn’t fit to play football on. I think he’s been available outside of those 2 injuries since he signed that contract

The recovery time is a slightly different issue and more a question to the medical team. There have arguably been a few players who have taken a lot longer to come back on the basis of poor advice/treatment (Obita, Swift spring to mind)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Aug 2019 13:45

Denver Royal
Nameless Asking players who didn't make the cut for the first team squad to join in with the reserves is kind of how it has always been isn't it ?

Yes, is this in any way a departure from the past? Maybe those having a problem with it could weigh in? Thanks.

(Btw, I'd be surprised if GMac has a beef with the club. He's continued to draw a handsome salary in recent seasons and gave little in return because he was injured and unavailable. Not his fault, but that was the reality to the club).

Is this the same McCleary who was fit and available for every single game last season from mid October and registered 0 goals? Injuries weren’t a problem for him last season, he’s simply not good enough anymore

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 16 Aug 2019 20:13

We got better options then them. No room for sentiment in football these days.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Aug 2019 20:29

The Enfield Royal71 We got better options then them. No room for sentiment in football these days.

This.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 16 Aug 2019 20:41

maffff
The Enfield Royal71 We got better options then them. No room for sentiment in football these days.

This.

Is a massively emotionless post with no room for any kind of human compassion past seeing a player as a pure asset?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 16 Aug 2019 21:50

Readingfanman
maffff

This.

Is a massively emotionless post with no room for any kind of human compassion past seeing a player as a pure asset?

Human compassion? :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are reserves in a professional football team. Not torture victims.

Thats all they are. An expendable asset for a business to try make money. If they are surplus to requirements and not good enough to help the business then get rid. If an employee doesn't perform or keeps missing SLA or KPI....

YOU'RE FIRED!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Aug 2019 22:00

maffff

This.

You know maffff... when you have to turn to Double D to find support then it's probably time to step back and have a think about where it all went wrong.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Aug 2019 23:14

The Enfield Royal71
Readingfanman
maffff This.

Thats all they are. An expendable asset for a business to try make money. If they are surplus to requirements and not good enough to help the business then get rid. If an employee doesn't perform or keeps missing SLA or KPI....

YOU'RE FIRED!

'The Reading way.'

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Aug 2019 23:27

RIP Gunts and GMac. These eulogies are so moving. :cry:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Aug 2019 23:29

maffff RIP Gunts and GMac. These eulogies are so moving. :cry:

Are Gunts and GMac stealing a living then? Given the club offered them contracts until next summer please explain.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Aug 2019 23:30

Oh, they're still at the club? I thought they'd oxf*rd died the way you lot keep harping on.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Aug 2019 23:33

Did you delete your tweet after the hammering you took?

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 16 Aug 2019 23:40

god, give them break.........they have contract as most people have within a work environment. The difference with footy as we all well know is you can't just sack a footballer - wish i had contract like that but as self employed I won't sack myself.

They have both been good servants over a pretty long period on a good wage no doubt but you can't blame them to hang around and the take the money, even if its not great for RFC. we gave them the contracts so we have to live with it. Wouldn't everybody do the same?

I am absolutely positive if we need them this season (unlikely), they will give 100% and perform reasonably well......our problem, not theirs !!!

gunter, probably wants a move given Euro 2020 so there is still time.......

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 17 Aug 2019 00:40

What a few people seem to be missing, Maffff included, is that while Reading are very much within their rights to make them train with the reserves, it’s 100% not a good image.

The ‘Reading way’ was originally about signings, but as far as I’m concerned, became more than that. It was about ‘the Royal family’ and being a decent club that did things the right way. Football is a very small world, and while money can buy players, it you can’t buy a good reputation. I’ll stick by the belief that Gunter and GMac should have been transfer listed, but should have stayed as part of the first team.

No one feels sorry for their bank accounts, that’s really not the point.i

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 17 Aug 2019 05:50

Jagermesiter1871
The Enfield Royal71
Readingfanman Is a massively emotionless post with no room for any kind of human compassion past seeing a player as a pure asset?

YOU'RE FIRED!

'The Reading way.'

Who cares about the 'Reading' way?

Where has that got us the last few seasons?

This is the results business and if players aren't performing and doing their job properly, they need to go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Aug 2019 06:55

URZZZZ
Denver Royal

Is this the same McCleary who was fit and available for every single game last season from mid October and registered 0 goals? Injuries weren’t a problem for him last season, he’s simply not good enough anymore

You're obsessed. Goals aren't the only way to measure performance. He's also the McCleary that got 3 assists in that time.

And before you complain that three is rubbish, here's our multi assisters who played at least 1000 minutes.
Barrow (6) 1 in 373
Yiadom (4) 1 in 1012
McCleary (3) 1 in 508
Swift (3) 1 in 849
Bacuna (3) 1 in 700
Ejaria (2) 1 in 652
Blackett (2) 1 in 1248

That's right. Third highest assister, second best minutes per assist.

No one thinks McCleary is a very good first choice Championship winger these days. But at the back end of last season, even if his finishing is shot, he showed he can still do damage to teams and is decent cover.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Aug 2019 07:00

The Enfield Royal71
Jagermesiter1871
The Enfield Royal71

YOU'RE FIRED!

'The Reading way.'

Who cares about the 'Reading' way?

Where has that got us the last few seasons?

This is the results business and if players aren't performing and doing their job properly, they need to go.

Quite a lot of us care about it. Under Coppell the club not only succeeded, but did so in admirable and ethical ways.

You might want to take a look at how judgemental and intolerant you are as a possible cause for why you're so miserable and unstable.