BFTG Huddersfield Away

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Huddersfield Away

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Aug 2019 21:58

Hound
CountryRoyal
Hound Swift bossing it in the highlights. Looks a really good player this year, system is suiting him and Ovie perfectly

Swift was shocking for 80% of that game.

Don’t really care if he then sets up 2 goals as well as another 4 chances on top of that

You’re a difficult man to please CR :)

A player can be shit for 99% of a game if for 1% he assists 2 goals to help his team win in my book.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Aug 2019 22:00

NewCorkSeth
Hound
CountryRoyal
Swift was shocking for 80% of that game.

Don’t really care if he then sets up 2 goals as well as another 4 chances on top of that

A player can be shit for 99% of a game if for 1% he assists 2 goals to help his team win in my book.

Not if he’s a passenger for the 99% of the time he’s in midfield. Striker probably yes.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Aug 2019 22:08

leon
NewCorkSeth
Hound

Not if he’s a passenger for the 99% of the time he’s in midfield. Striker probably yes.

Re-read it. If we win because of him why the oxf*rd would you care if he was a passenger for 99% of it?

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 24 Aug 2019 22:10

Just got back and echo most of the sentiments. Gomes mentioned it as well that we just didn't get started in the first half. Second half we ran rings around them at times.

We just have a knack of digging in at the moment and getting points when perhaps fatigued and not at our best.

Charlton should be a cracker next Saturday and the players deserve a big crowd.

Just a mention for the Huddersfield crowd, especially the ones behind the goal as they were brilliant. They showed us how an organised singing section should be.

Incredibly loud at times and kept on going.

Huddersfield have tough days ahead and could well find themselves back in league 1.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Aug 2019 23:58

After 18 minutes Huddersfield were registering 92% possession. Half time was 72%.

This is still preseason in mind. If we can play badly and still win, or gain a point from an away fixture. It's a vast improvement on the past few years. The best is yet to come.

Roll on Charlton next Saturday.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Aug 2019 00:01

NewCorkSeth
leon
NewCorkSeth A player can be shit for 99% of a game if for 1% he assists 2 goals to help his team win in my book.

Re-read it. If we win because of him why the oxf*rd would you care if he was a passenger for 99% of it?

Because central midfield is no place for passengers. Yes he might set up two goals we might get dicked for 5 in return was my point.

But of course if you can guarantee a win every week......

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 25 Aug 2019 00:01

Lower West After 18 minutes Huddersfield were registering 92% possession. Half time was 72%.

This is still preseason in mind. If we can play badly and still win, or gain a point from an away fixture. It's a vast improvement on the past few years. The best is yet to come.

Roll on Charlton next Saturday.

We will keep in developing as a team. These mistakes are mistakes that Gomes would have rectified pre season as you say. He got his players late, and a lot of them.

We can only get better. I am gaining faith in him. We look organised.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2019 00:23

Without being critical of any player that started today. Rinomhota should have been in the starting 11 with Pele. Boye spent a lot of the game defensively. As we had no ability to win the ball back. Formation was wrong. We invited pressure on ourselves. Allowing Huddersfield to press us back. Why on earth persevere with playing it out from the back as well. When there's no space and no outball.

PS. Boye is improving everytime I see him. Like Baker last season. He is going to grow in importance to this team. Just needs to get match fit.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 25 Aug 2019 00:33

Lower West Without being critical of any player that started today. Rinomhota should have been in the starting 11 with Pele. Boye spent a lot of the game defensively. As we had no ability to win the ball back. Formation was wrong. We invited pressure on ourselves. Allowing Huddersfield to press us back. Why on earth persevere with playing it out from the back as well. When there's no space and no outball.

PS. Boye is improving everytime I see him. Like Baker last season. He is going to grow in importance to this team. Just needs to get match fit.

I really like Boye, he's dangerous and his end product will improve but I agree. Rhino should play with Pele away from home. It gives us that steady base.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Aug 2019 00:34

CountryRoyal That was by and large fcuking atrocious. We barely touched the ball in the first 30 minutes, we made them look like barca-fcuking-lona. We looked fatigued, everyone a yard off the pace, second best to everything. Credit to Huddersfield they pressed high with intensity and in numbers giving us little to no time on the ball, but when we did have an opportunity to beat the press we were careless, sloppy and just poor. Free headers for days at corners and it looked like we were waiting for them to score. Morrison and Joao probably the only ones to come out of the first half with any credit, Boye did a lot of good things but then final ball was poor or dawdled on the ball for too long and got dispossessed. Huddersfield were fit, athletic and physical and we just couldn’t match them, not even close.

They took their foot off and dropped the intensity but we didn’t really get going until Puscas came on. It just gave the whole team a lift. Thought Rino did well when he came on and Rafael is class, even if his long kicking is a little lacking.

You know what they say about a team who can play badly and still win, and by god we played badly. That win felt very good.

Also shout out to Huddersfield, once again very loud. Best home fans in the country - fact.

Have you never watched an away game before?

When you leave with all 3pts it's never "fcuking atrocious" and always "good" or better. It frequently occurs because the visiting team soaks up all the home team has to offer before getting a late winner and is often called a "Smash an Grab" In this case we scored twice late on to secure a very rare win on our travels.

I'll take a season's worth of "fcuking atrocious" here and now, please!

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 25 Aug 2019 06:00

Lower West Without being critical of any player that started today. Rinomhota should have been in the starting 11 with Pele. Boye spent a lot of the game defensively. As we had no ability to win the ball back. Formation was wrong. We invited pressure on ourselves. Allowing Huddersfield to press us back. Why on earth persevere with playing it out from the back as well. When there's no space and no outball.

I don't agree that playing it out of the back or going long is wrong at all. Ive said it time and time again you setup your team to play to their strengths with the players available and based on the opponent. If any team plays it out of the back the oppo is going to press higher and that's obvious. It happens to other teams too. Even the big teams in the Prem and throughout Europe. Gomes and other managers would train their teams to deal with that. If you go long or play the "percentage balls" it's never guaranteed to go to one of your players. In our case we also don't have many strong and powerful target men to aim for against a team like Huddersfield who do at the back. The chances are they will win a lot more and you take creative players like Boye, Swift and Ejaria out of the game by doing so. 1 of which scored and the other got 2 assists.

So, what tactics and formation would you have employed Lower West?

krapmle

by krapmle » 25 Aug 2019 06:51

well one thing is for sure, we are not going up if we continue to play like this. Once the season gets really going, if you don't get near the ball for the first 30 mins or so (v WBA and v Huddersfield) we will be 2-0 down at half time with the game gone. I hope this happens at the moment due to the team still settling in.

Apart from the above this team are very exciting at times but I fear the luck will run out.

The game is about you scoring goals not waiting for the opposition to do so first. If we can get that sorted I see a promotion chasing team.
exciting times

Esteban

by Esteban » 25 Aug 2019 08:30

Woke up this morning feeling like I enjoyed the game, but I certainly didn't think that in the first half. We were very poor with the ball.

Offensively we struggled to get Boyé and Joao working as a partnership, but that will hopefully improve with time. I thought both players did OK, but in isolation.

Defensively we were very good, even after the enforced change. Despite all of their possession, they did very little with it.

Second we half we were better and in the end, it was a fairly comfortable win. I think talk of us being atrocious is a step too far. Poor first half, but did enough to get to half time at 0-0. Grew into the second half and had more quality in front of goal.

Huddersfield need time and the right manager to get them out of the doldrums. There is a good side in there, but they are lacking confidence. Great fans as well. Hope the club make the right choices.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Aug 2019 08:55

leon
NewCorkSeth
leon

Because central midfield is no place for passengers. Yes he might set up two goals we might get dicked for 5 in return was my point.

But of course if you can guarantee a win every week......

It was from a "looking back on the match" perspective. Obviously I didnt mean you shouldnt care before the final result.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2019 09:03

NewCorkSeth
leon
NewCorkSeth A player can be shit for 99% of a game if for 1% he assists 2 goals to help his team win in my book.

As I said all last season when Swift was an utter waste of space, deliver goals and the rest of your performance is forgiven.

Being shit for 80% of the game is fine if you produce the goods.

Saying that, you can't be said to have bossed the game if you did nothing for 80% of it just because in the 20% you produced some good chances. That's like the positive opposite of bossing the game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2019 09:10

Boye put in an absolutely sensational jinking run and reverse pass to take out the entire Huddersfield defence and put Swift through in the highlights.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 25 Aug 2019 09:20

Seems like you know more than Gomes. Why didn't you get the job?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Aug 2019 09:47

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
leon

As I said all last season when Swift was an utter waste of space, deliver goals and the rest of your performance is forgiven.

Being shit for 80% of the game is fine if you produce the goods.

Saying that, you can't be said to have bossed the game if you did nothing for 80% of it just because in the 20% you produced some good chances. That's like the positive opposite of bossing the game.

Which we shall call "subordinating it".

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2019 09:50

oldebiscuit

Seems like you know more than Gomes. Why didn't you get the job?

Thank you for your pointless contribution.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 25 Aug 2019 10:15

With due respect to the people who travelled, I've done Hudds away a couple of times in the past but obvs distant is a bit far now, I saw that game completely different to the majority.

Huddersfield came out massively fired up and saw this as their first chance to gain a league win in God knows how long. We didn't expect that. For the first 10 mins we only touched the ball with defensive clearances, mostly due to the fact that Joao and even more so swift had three and sometimes 4 players sprinting to close them down. This was their game plan. Where we excelled is we adapted, and massive kudos to McIntyre for the way he stepped In, I believe we decided to let themselves run out of gas, knowing we had a very strong bench.

When hudds hadn't even had a shot on target at half time and had a semi cripple GK and CD we really weren't going to lose that. I had called for Puscas to come on five mins earlier and I was wrong. That was an incredible away performance where we adapted on the fly. To be able to bring Puscas and Rino on when they were gassed was excellent. Yes, if they had scored in that first 10/20 mins then it would have been a different game, but they didn't, they didn't even have a shot on target.

Superb game. We are clearly going up :)