BFTG - Charlton

180 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Charlton

by John Madejski's Wallet » 31 Aug 2019 17:38

That wasn't good. Not at all

Actually, I have to say I enjoyed the first half. Was a really good half of 0-0, we could have had two and Charlton looked dangerous.

But boy did Bowyer suss us out. They dominated the whole of the second half. We were overrun in midfield and Puscas we beyond useless. João tried but his third touch was always overhit.

A bad game for Homes, leaving two tired and ineffective strikers and brining on Boye and Meite in the wings was a massive error, like someone had been playing champ manager last night. Charlton attacked at will and in the end we were very lucky to keep it to 2-0

Ejaria flattered to decieve all game and that pen was ok on him. Atrocious footballing decision to d*CK about in the position.

Oh and LOL at Raphael for being a nobhead and allowing their man the easiest pen he'll ever score

First half = enjoyable game of footy
Second half = utter crap

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2019 17:39

That was a shocking 2nd half. Too many below par performances, too many sloppy passes, movement was poor after a “give as good as you get” first half.

Don’t want to take anything away from a really good Charlton team but I fail to understand how Reading’s players looked so tired and leggy after a week of rest for all those that started.

Still Reading are work in progress and one stinker of a half in 4 games is a grand improvement on last season and the season before. There’s much more about the squad to be hopeful about for the future and if Reading can manage 7 points from each remaining block of 4 games they’ll be around the play off positions which would be real achievement.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 31 Aug 2019 17:42

I agree. I think first half = reading in the last 3 league games, second half = last season. Ineffective attacking play this time round.
Last edited by Bigtimmeh on 31 Aug 2019 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2019 17:49

We’ve seen this team is ok when we take the lead but I wondered how we’d cope if we went a goal behind and today we got the answer - clueless. Offered next to nothing after they scored. Really really poor.

I said in the match thread but Charlton didn’t impress me at all, they were organised but we looked at times like we wanted them to just roll over and let us score. We have to work harder and be more decisive. Charlton are very limited and won’t do anything in this league.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 17:51

Good first half, poor second half. Well drilled Charlton side kept us out well and targeted our weaknesses. Bit of luck with the deflection turned the game.

Rafael - 7 penalty psych routine was a shocker, the a couple of good saves
Moore - 6 in trouble again and again on that right side.
Morrison - 7 asked to be play maker second half, no one moved for him but looks a very good defender
McIntyre - 6 given a torrid time and a partial error for the goal, not the happiest of home debuts but looks a good player
Yiadom - 6 pretty good but didn't create enough
Richards - 6 likewise
Pele - 5 one sublime moment, but way too little movement second half and too often didn't close his man. Rino please.
Swift - 8 first half really incisive until the final ball, second half quit moving enough
Ejaria - 7 sublime at times first half but no way through and then just stopped second and got v sloppy
Puscas - 5 seemed to have no understanding with Joao which surprised me... should have scored
Joao - 5 fancy footwork but too often looked lost or sulking with no understanding with Puscas.

Meite - 5 didn't do a lot
Boye - 5 fancy feet but errors, doesn't have the pace of the game yet
Barrett - 6 knows what he's there to do, attack the box.

I understand the subs, but think we were crying out for someone a bit more physical and energetic than Joao, so Meite should have replaced him. Also think Rino on for one of the three midfielders would have helped us build a lot better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 17:52

CountryRoyal We’ve seen this team is ok when we take the lead but I wondered how we’d cope if we went a goal behind and today we got the answer - clueless. Offered next to nothing after they scored. Really really poor.

I said in the match thread but Charlton didn’t impress me at all, they were organised but we looked at times like we wanted them to just roll over and let us score. We have to work harder and be more decisive. Charlton are very limited and won’t do anything in this league.

There'll be top half for sure.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2019 17:54

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal We’ve seen this team is ok when we take the lead but I wondered how we’d cope if we went a goal behind and today we got the answer - clueless. Offered next to nothing after they scored. Really really poor.

£20?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 31 Aug 2019 17:56

Charlton were excellent.

First half was well balanced, and if we had scored when Puscas was through one on one with their keeper, or the shot that hit the bar had been a few centimetres lower, we may have carried on in the same style and picked up the points.

Second half we came out lethargic, error prone, with confidence slipping seemingly slipping away with every minute.

Taking Yiadom and Richard seemed a strange decision; both were playing well, and without them we lost most of our pace.

Swift was excellent in every respect.

Referee got pretty much everything right.

Deflating, but the team are not yet the finished article, and we will not play many sides better than Charlton.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 31 Aug 2019 17:57

I don't think Charlton will go top 6. The striker Taylor looks naughty though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2019 17:57

Snowflake Royal Good first half, poor second half. Well drilled Charlton side kept us out well and targeted our weaknesses. Bit of luck with the deflection turned the game.

Rafael - 7 penalty psych routine was a shocker, the a couple of good saves
Moore - 6 in trouble again and again on that right side.
Morrison - 7 asked to be play maker second half, no one moved for him but looks a very good defender
McIntyre - 6 given a torrid time and a partial error for the goal, not the happiest of home debuts but looks a good player
Yiadom - 6 pretty good but didn't create enough
Richards - 6 likewise
Pele - 5 one sublime moment, but way too little movement second half and too often didn't close his man. Rino please.
Swift - 8 first half really incisive until the final ball, second half quit moving enough
Ejaria - 7 sublime at times first half but no way through and then just stopped second and got v sloppy
Puscas - 5 seemed to have no understanding with Joao which surprised me... should have scored
Joao - 5 fancy footwork but too often looked lost or sulking with no understanding with Puscas.

Meite - 5 didn't do a lot
Boye - 5 fancy feet but errors, doesn't have the pace of the game yet
Barrett - 6 knows what he's there to do, attack the box.

I understand the subs, but think we were crying out for someone a bit more physical and energetic than Joao, so Meite should have replaced him. Also think Rino on for one of the three midfielders would have helped us build a lot better.

Not going to argue much with that lot. We were good first half and the only time Charlton got anywhere near our goal was that early chance. We had 3 or 4 decent efforts inc hitting the crossbar and keeper saving from Puscas. Actually thought it was quite one sided

Always think the first minute of each half is a massive indicator to how it will go and we came out sloppy and first thing we did was pass the ball into touch. Charlton took advantage and then we struggled to create anything whilst our back 3 fell to bits for 20 mins and the confidence went

Poor result and the front two really didn’t combine too well - though Puscas did get plenty of shots away
Last edited by Hound on 31 Aug 2019 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 17:57

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

£20?

You can give it to charity, in the unlikely event you win, I'll hand it over if you want to meet.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2019 18:00

I remember Charlton being top of premier league at the end of August one year, think it was their first season up there. They ended up being relegated in May. Can't see that happening this season but cant see them finishing in the top half either.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 31 Aug 2019 18:10

First half very niggly game, no momentum from either side, just kept giving the ball away to each other. Not an enjoyable watch by any means but we should have gone in 1-0 up if it wasn't for Puscas' miss. Second half, don't even get me started. Total capitulation from the first whistle. I'm actually thoroughly dispirited after that utter non- performance. :(

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 31 Aug 2019 18:12

sandman I remember Charlton being top of premier league at the end of August one year, think it was their first season up there. They ended up being relegated in May. Can't see that happening this season but cant see them finishing in the top half either.

Agree. Charlton are nothing more than bang average. But more importantly, what does that make us??

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 31 Aug 2019 18:12

Edged first half, should have capitalised.
They were the better team 2nd half and we couldn't get into the game. They deserved the win on balance, but if puscas shot had gone on it would have been different.

Rafael 8
Moore 6,
Mcintyre and Morrison 7
Wing backs 6
Pele 6
Swift/Ejaria 8 first half, 2nd half 6
Joao 6
Puscas 6

Subs 6

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2019 18:18

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal There'll be top half for sure.

£20?

You can give it to charity, in the unlikely event you win, I'll hand it over if you want to meet.

Deal.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Aug 2019 18:19

CountryRoyal Charlton are very limited and won’t do anything in this league.

IIRC a lot of opposing fans were saying that about us a few years ago and we maintained our position the whole season

You don’t need to be “good” at football to succeed in the championship. It’s about being effective, with the players knowing their role and carrying it out. Charltons players knew what they were doing and the role they had to carry out and I certainly think they’ll be up there whereas I tipped them for a relegation battle at the start of the season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2019 18:19

Don’t think it helped by Gomes’ double substitution. Should have been a bit more reasoned and suddenly removing the wing backs for two players we’d all agree are attackers seemed a bit panicky and left us too open. If it had been a bit more measured Charlton may not have been able to get that second and ended up dropping deeper to defend the 1-0

All in all a second half to forget and we now have 2 weeks of unnecessary boredom due to largely pointless internationals.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 18:22

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
£20?

Deal.

Kewl.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Aug 2019 18:35

Where was the fight in the second half? At least there's time for Gomes & Co to work on the energy levels.

Odd game. Reckon Charlton will be found out later in the season.

180 posts