BFTG - Charlton

180 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by Westwood52 » 31 Aug 2019 18:35

All credit to Charlton and Bowyer,they really did suss us out and I was expecting a comfortable win for us.First half was close we had the better chances - just but they had slightly the better control.Second half they took us apart and we folded.They ganged up on Ovie and Swift and once they accomplished that we had to rely on the wing backs for chances.
IMHO (I have given everyone an extra mark,as. I am allowing for me being so hacked off after the game )

Rafael 7 Two good saves.Thought he should have saved the 1st,but there was a deflection? one bad kick out.

Yiadom 7 Prob our best player.
Richards 7 Did nothing wrong.
Moore 3 Dreadful
Morrison 5 Got found out today,unable to come out of the back effectively.
McIntyre 5 Had a tough game against a really good player,who bossed him.
Pele 4 Disapeared 2nd half.
Swift 7 Tried But was boxed in so often,given no time on the ball.
Ejaria 7 Ditto
Puskas 3 Dreadful that shot at the end summed his game up
Jao 6 Occasionally effective but simply not mobile enough

Boyes Just couldn’t get going
Meite Looked more dangerous than our starting strikers
Barrett I have often had my doubts about him,but a shining light today

Ref bit inconsistent 1st half,then fell apart 2nd half and lost control when Charlton jerked around.How all the Charlton players stayed on escapes me

Gomes :the substitutions were baffling.It was only one nil,should have kept the shape and swapped the strikers round,then Barrett when that didn’t work.Clueless really.

I repeat well done Charlton we were out fought and out thought.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Aug 2019 18:38

That's what you expect from a team that have just come up. plenty of effort but not too much skill, saw it the saw way as most on here, not in any trouble at all the 1st half after the early scare, HT thinking it looked like a 1-0 either way.
Then the 2nd half we really didn`t turn up.
Rafael didn`t do much wrong, the pen was hilarious. 7
Yiadom, got forward well but delivery poor on a view occasions. 6
Richards likewise apart from the great cross where we hit the bar. 7
Moore, very poor on the right, up there with his worse showings for the club. 5
Morrison, I like him, held the back line together 7
MacIntyre found wanting a few times 2nd half be the lively Charlton front 3. 6
Pele. actually thought he did ok, a few driving forward runs in the 2nd but gave away the pen. 6
Ejaria decent first half with his bag of tricks faded with everyone else in the 2nd half 7
Swift the pick of the bunch semed on a different wave length to the rest of them. 8
Joao. no control, no effort, no nothing, we were warned about his attitude when he signed, i hope this was a one off. 3
Puscas, was it him that hit the bar? should have done better when shooting straigh at the keeper feeding on scraps in the 2nd half, always in the right position and prepared to have a dig. 6

And the Charlton fans were different gravy, hardly heard a peep from 1871.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 31 Aug 2019 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 31 Aug 2019 18:39

Taking off your defenders replacing them all with strikers isn’t a plan B.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2019 18:51

We played well in the first half and should have been ahead at half time. At the start of the second half we were so slow and allowed Charlton to take control. The difference in performance between Jaoa and Puscas and Taylor and Leko was stark.
We were humbled in the end.

Rafael. 7. Some good saves. Not at fault for either goal
Yiadom 5 Decent first half but dreadful in the second period. Very lucky not to be booked
Moore 4 Worst game for us. Couldn’t cope with Leko at all
Morrison 5 Decent first half but struggled in second period
McIntyre 6 I thought he did ok
Richards 6 Great cross for Puscas and did little wrong so why sub him?
Pele 5 Good first half but offered little protection in the second period
Swift 5. Very good first half but poor in the second. For god sake shoot sometimes Swifty
Ejaria 5 Lovely first half but really poor second period and at fault for the eventual pen
Jaoa 4 Decent first half. Woeful second half
Puscas 3 He has to do better than that. Dreadful.

Meite 6 Did well when he came on
Boye 5 A real mixed bag
Barrett N/A
Gomes 3 Awful subs. Charlton kept their shape. We didn’t.
Taylor and Leko were terrific and their support good. They deserved the win.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 31 Aug 2019 18:54

Gomes panicked. Four strikers on the pitch is useless if you haven't got a working system around them. This isn't the 90th minute of a cup final, it's Charlton.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Aug 2019 18:59

Back to earth with a bang. Very, very poor performance and result. All this talk about playoffs people need a reminder of just how bad we've been in recent years and it was evident again today. People should be content with mid table.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 31 Aug 2019 19:08

Thought Charlton were “workmanlike” and will finish mid table. Clearly full of confidence after going up last season and a good start to this. Mirror of Bowyer as a player and very robust, putting it politely.

First half we were ok, should have gone ahead. Second half dreadful. Should have gone to a back 4 and put Rhino in the middle as an additional midfielder as were getting bossed. Dreadful plan B by Gomes. Ratings for what it’s worth

Keeper 8, did everything asked but needs to review his penalty technique, made to look a complete idiot
Yiadom 6, needs to get crosses in sooner, not keep cutting back, slows things too much
Richards 6,
McIntyre, 5, struggled against their no 9,
Morrison, 6, tried to bring the ball out but midfield missing
Moore, 4, been quite poor so far this season and awful game especially last 20 mins
Ejaria, 4, nowhere to be seen second half
Swift, 7, decent and kept going
Pele, 6, ok
Puscas, 3, dreadful
Joao, 5, not great

Subs, 5.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Aug 2019 19:14

So let me get this straight, Puscas hits the bar, fires wide, and gets through on a one 2 one forcing the keeper to make a good save, and is being branded has dreadful, while Joao does the sum total of fukk all and he`s being marked up higher that Puscas, what strange fans we have.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2019 19:19

I think that was a pretty puscas like performance - his all round game isn’t great but he had all our best efforts, including getting some half decent shots away when he had no right to. Definitely was more disappointed with Joao’s display

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2019 19:20

windermereROYAL So let me get this straight, Puscas hits the bar, fires wide, and gets through on a one 2 one forcing the keeper to make a good save, and is being branded has dreadful, while Joao does the sum total of fukk all and he`s being marked up higher that Puscas, what strange fans we have.

Puscas should have scored. He missed with a one on one. I need to see the first chance again but he was only a couple of yards out. He was easily contained by Charlton throughout the game and made zero attempt to win any headers. His passes were often mislaid. He did very little right.
Jaoa caused them plenty of problems in the first half with good hold up play and won some headers. Very poor in the second half.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Aug 2019 19:21

Lower West Where was the fight in the second half? At least there's time for Gomes & Co to work on the energy levels.

Odd game. Reckon Charlton will be found out later in the season.

Agree about Charlton, those 2 sub's by Gomes were a bit suicidal if I'm honest. We were literally being torn to pieces at the end. We were still in the game. Barrett certainly should have been on sooner.
Hopefully its just a blip or tiredness from the three long away games.
It could have been very different had we not rattled the bar and Puscas made a poor decision on that finish when he should have buried it from that that close.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2019 19:22

Zip
windermereROYAL So let me get this straight, Puscas hits the bar, fires wide, and gets through on a one 2 one forcing the keeper to make a good save, and is being branded has dreadful, while Joao does the sum total of fukk all and he`s being marked up higher that Puscas, what strange fans we have.

Puscas should have scored. He missed with a one on one. I need to see the first chance again but he was only a couple of yards out. He was easily contained by Charlton throughout the game and made zero attempt to win any headers. His passes were often mislaid. He did very little right.
Jaoa caused them plenty of problems in the first half with good hold up play and won some headers. Very poor in the second half.

This.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2019 19:31

windermereROYAL And the Charlton fans were different gravy, hardly heard a peep from 1871.

Really? Barely heard a peep from them until their goal. After that, yeah pretty class. But easy when you're winning.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 Aug 2019 19:38

Sutekh Don’t want to take anything away from a really good Charlton team but I fail to understand how Reading’s players looked so tired and leggy after a week of rest for all those that started..

It was like we were playing at 3 am rather than 3 pm. So many unforced errors, passes going astray, passes that were easy to cut out, just poor decisions all round.

I thought Charlton were solid, but that was it. If we'd nicked one of those first half chances, we'd probably have won. I really couldn't see them scoring...until they did.

That aspect reminded me of our home form over the past few years, when time after time we'd see ordinary teams soak up an ineffective attack before going on to win, setting up the prospect of yet another walk round to the buses past celebrating away fans seemingly convinced they'd seen a performance that Barcelona would envy.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 31 Aug 2019 19:44

I felt that had we scored that game would have been ours, I wasn't happy with the substitions as it just felt like we lost our shape and Meite was so desperate to score from RWB it was just too predictable.

Would have preferred to swap Puscas for Rinomhota and gain some solidity through the middle but would have been unpopular given we were a goal down. We can't expect Ejaria to play with this much energy all season either!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2019 19:47

We tried to thread too many balls through to players from the edge of the area. To do so is very difficult inside a congested penalty box. Sometimes players just have to shoot.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2019 19:48

NR_Royal I felt that had we scored that game would have been ours, I wasn't happy with the substitions as it just felt like we lost our shape and Meite was so desperate to score from RWB it was just too predictable.

Would have preferred to swap Puscas for Rinomhota and gain some solidity through the middle but would have been unpopular given we were a goal down. We can't expect Ejaria to play with this much energy all season either!

We miss Rinomhota’s drive and energy. He really needs to start against Boro

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Aug 2019 19:59

Zip We tried to thread too many balls through to players from the edge of the area. To do so is very difficult inside a congested penalty box. Sometimes players just have to shoot.

This is one thing I’m concerned about, in that we have too many players who are similar (attacking midfielders who try and tip toe their way round the defence)

I’d like to see a proper striker like Baldock on the bench. At the moment, our only plan B is Meite and he was predictably poor at RWB. Say what you want about him but he’s different. Him for Joao and Baldock for Puscas would have been better subs had we been able to do that

Brought it up after West Brom but the midfield still hold onto it too long. Rino doesnt, which is why Id start him against Boro

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2019 20:01

URZZZZ
Zip We tried to thread too many balls through to players from the edge of the area. To do so is very difficult inside a congested penalty box. Sometimes players just have to shoot.

This is one thing I’m concerned about, in that we have too many players who are similar (attacking midfielders who try and tip toe their way round the defence)

I’d like to see a proper striker like Baldock on the bench. At the moment, our only plan B is Meite and he was predictably poor at RWB. Say what you want about him but he’s different. Him for Joao and Baldock for Puscas would have been better subs had we been able to do that

Brought it up after West Brom but the midfield still hold onto it too long. Rino doesnt, which is why Id start him against Boro

Yep we did hold onto the ball too long. Rinomhota really does need to come back into the side.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 31 Aug 2019 20:12

Yes, as others have said, missed chances, didn’t do much else. Dreadful today.

180 posts