BFTG - Charlton

180 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Charlton

by tmesis » 01 Sep 2019 10:02

Zip I would much prefer to see the clock stopped when a goal is scored, sub made, treatment for a player or when a free kick is awarded. It works well in rugby. The number of minutes injury time seems so variable these days.

I'd like to see the clock in the hands of an independent official who isn't having to deal with all the other crap going on. I'd also like that person signal the end of the game when the game ends, rather than waiting for the ball to go into a neutral "non-controversial" position on the pitch before blowing, which is what all refs seem to do.

The problem with stopping the clock at every stoppage is that the game would take far too long. the ball is apparently dead for about half an hour in each match.

It'd also do nothing to stop players going down with fake injuries to disrupt the flow of the game.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2019 10:02

Zip

What concerned me was as soon as Charlton scored there was an immediate collective loss of confidence throughout the entire team. It was only one nil but it really felt like game over. That’s the impression I felt from the players. There was a real fragility evident. In contrast the Charlton players confidence grew enormously. Going forward that is something Gomes needs to improve. Our record in recent years is awful when we fall behind. The mentality needs to be tougher.

I want to agree, and we did look "shot" when we went behind

I thought we looked unfit

BUT

We went 2-0 down at Hull, pulled one back and dominated the second half

We went 1-0 down at Wycombe, came back to draw, then win on pens

We went 1-0 down at Plymouth, playing kids, got back to 1-1.

We then went 2-1 down, equalised again and ran out 2-4 winners.

We were out-midfielder at Huddersfield but grew into the game and won 0-2

We were totally dominated at WBA but weathered the storm, went 0-1 up and could easily have won
Last edited by Snowball on 01 Sep 2019 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2019 10:05

tmesis
Zip I would much prefer to see the clock stopped when a goal is scored, sub made, treatment for a player or when a free kick is awarded. It works well in rugby. The number of minutes injury time seems so variable these days.

I'd like to see the clock in the hands of an independent official who isn't having to deal with all the other crap going on. I'd also like that person signal the end of the game when the game ends, rather than waiting for the ball to go into a neutral "non-controversial" position on the pitch before blowing, which is what all refs seem to do.

The problem with stopping the clock at every stoppage is that the game would take far too long. the ball is apparently dead for about half an hour in each match.

It'd also do nothing to stop players going down with fake injuries to disrupt the flow of the game.

Works in rugby.

Shorten the official time.

Stop the clock for throw-ins, free-kicks until the whistle is blown

Stop the clock for Injuries

Enforce the goal-keeper time-allowed with ball. A few 18 yard free-kicks and time-wasting would stop

Then at official HT and FT a hooter goes. The game continues
until the ball goes out of play, unless there's a penalty.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 10:09

Snowball
Zip

What concerned me was as soon as Charlton scored there was an immediate collective loss of confidence throughout the entire team. It was only one nil but it really felt like game over. That’s the impression I felt from the players. There was a real fragility evident. In contrast the Charlton players confidence grew enormously. Going forward that is something Gomes needs to improve. Our record in recent years is awful when we fall behind. The mentality needs to be tougher.

BUT

We went 1-0 at Plymouth, playing kids, got back to 1-1.

We were totally dominated at WBA but weathered the storm, went 0-1 up and could easily have won

When Charlton scored you could see shoulders droop, players looking to the floor. No one really geeing the others up. It was early in the second half but I instinctively felt we have had it here. Yes we came back in Cup games but I want to see us do that in the League. You will probably know more than anybody else what our League record is like in the past two and a bit seasons when we fall behind. It ain’t pretty.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Sep 2019 10:10

Snowflake Royal
Zip
windermereROYAL
isn`t it stange how we all see things differently? when he hit the bar it was not a sitter, Joao never lifted a foot all day, Puscas got into the positions to miss the chances, but Joao is being marked above him, the whole bloody team were shit in the 2nd half but our record signing was the only dreadful one right?

I gave Joao a 4. He was very poor too in the second half but he offered a presence in the first half and held the ball up well. He also won some headers. Had the roles been reversed and he missed the chances Puscas had he would have had a 3.
What did Puscas offer yesterday? I thought he was very sluggish. His work rate v Cardiff was excellent. I didn’t see that from him yesterday.
It’s very early for him though. He is learning about this League. He showed huge potential against Cardiff. So we have to expect bad days. Yesterday was a bad day.

Still it’s early on. We could still have a very positive season. We have a talented squad. I must admit though at getting a bit carried away. I thought we would win very comfortably yesterday and dismissed Charlton. They have some very good players. It’s the beauty of the Championship. There are precious few comfortable wins at this level.

Joao played pretty much the same all game. Puscas got into the position to score goals, not a great performance, but given Joao was slouching about not pulling his weight and going missing, he didn't have much to work with. Yes, he probably should have scored, though the bar one was far from easy. But he certainly wasn't awful.

Plus Puscas is still young and new to the league.

Joao needs to get his bloody head up, up his energy levels and be positive.

100%. Although we were warned by Wednesday's fans that he will frustrate, adding he’s 1 good performance out of every 4

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2019 10:16

Zip
Snowball
Zip

BUT

When Charlton scored you could see shoulders droop, players looking to the floor. No one really geeing the others up. It was early in the second half but I instinctively felt we have had it here. Yes we came back in Cup games but I want to see us do that in the League. You will probably know more than anybody else what our League record is like in the past two and a bit seasons when we fall behind. It ain’t pretty.

I was totally happy at HT. Had Puscas got the last-gasp goal I'd've been ecstatic.

But second half, even as the team came out, it felt different.

We may have skills but we are soft. We don't have an ANIMAL, a kick@ss leader, a Robbie Keane.

I also think the way this list had 4-0/4-0/4-1 and a hat-full of 3-0 predictions,
we all (and the players?) convinced ourselves Charlton were poor, especially
based on the Brentford game.

The manager was saying we need to do more than turn up etc.

That suggests that the dressing-room talk was about it being a walk in the park.

So the disappointment for players and fans is a lot to do with expectations
being raised way too high. I was saying regularly in the predictions thread
that we were being way too optimistic and a defeat would hurt a lot.

Had we been one third a win, one third for a draw, one third for a defeat
I suspect we'd've shrugged it off much easier

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2019 10:17

Oilroyal
100%. Although we were warned by Wednesday's fans that he will frustrate, adding he’s 1 good performance out of every 4

Play him every fourth game...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Sep 2019 10:19

It's a new team. They will have the occasional shit days. We're improving overall; onwards and upwards.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Sep 2019 10:20

Snowball
Oilroyal

Play him every fourth game...

And why not? Personally I think we should be bringing him on second half for the last 20.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2019 10:21

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

BUT

I was totally happy at HT. Had Puscas got the last-gasp goal I'd've been ecstatic.

We may have skills but we are soft. We don't have an ANIMAL, a kick@ss leader, a Robbie Keane.

I also think the way this list had 4-0/4-0/4-1 and a hat-full of 3-0 predictions,

That suggests that the dressing-room talk was about it being a walk in the park.

Yes without doubt. My son was having a right go at me during the match with my 3-0 prediction. He started really annoying me saying it was going to end up 3-0 to Charlton. In fairness he mentioned how good Leko was and he was right. Guilty as charged. I and many others on here under-estimated Charlton and I think the club did too. Gomes said he “expected” us to win yesterday. Yet Charlton came here unbeaten.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Sep 2019 10:33

Zip
Snowball
Zip

Yes without doubt. My son was having a right go at me during the match with my 3-0 prediction. He started really annoying me saying it was going to end up 3-0 to Charlton. In fairness he mentioned how good Leko was and he was right. Guilty as charged. I and many others on here under-estimated Charlton and I think the club did too. Gomes said he “expected” us to win yesterday. Yet Charlton came here unbeaten.

I think I was the only one in the prediction game to put us down to lose? I knew we would against them.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Sep 2019 10:34

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

BUT

Do you mean roy keane, not his brother Robbie?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Sep 2019 10:44

Zip
Royal Rother I find it amusing that impressive performances against WBA, Cardiff and Huddersfield have been completely outweighed in many people’s minds by one poor half against Charlton.

Nope. I don’t think that’s the case. Surely the team should be praised when they play well and criticised when they play poorly?

Indeed they can, I'm gonna put yesterday down to two things though and say its a one off.
Three long away trips in just over a week (we did seem to flag a bit early in the second half), and possibly two stupid substitutions the manager made, although I get the impression listening to his interview driving home that Gomes was almost admitting the got it wrong.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Sep 2019 10:47

tidus_mi2
leon Second half the entire team gave up. Pathetic. Lazy passing and absolutely no energy or commitment.

Jaoa having had a decent first half frankly was a disgrace second half. Throwing his hands up every time a ball didn’t reach him, pointing the finger at his team mates and gave up after the about 55 minutes .

Think he’s a cnut.

It's Joao, also really super negative opinion to form of our player after, from your comment, a bad half of football.

You’re right of course. It really is too early to form an opinion.

I was just watching him throughout the half and I was getting more and more pissed off with his quite obvious attitude.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 01 Sep 2019 10:49

Zip
StellaPlease I agree with 1871 but they were completely outsung today. Just jumping up and down and clapping. oxf*rd pathetic.

We were outplayed in the 2nd half by a better team and a better manager. Lee bowyer is going places. He is an absolutely brilliant manager and I wish him the best.

I have to say he got it spot on. They kept their shape superbly. Charlton were excellent in the second half. They took control right from the start.

Yep. Now and again a manager is produced and you just have to stand back and applaud. He did t even want to be one ffs :lol:

Had our number from the very beginning. Can't fault the lad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 10:51

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

BUT

Reading fans in seeing us get a couple of good results deciding we're league title contenders shocker.

Every time get a couple of good results we're brilliant. Every time we crash back to earth with a couple of poor ones we're doomed.

Same as it ever was the last 5 - 10 years

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2019 10:51

leon
tidus_mi2
leon Second half the entire team gave up. Pathetic. Lazy passing and absolutely no energy or commitment.

Jaoa having had a decent first half frankly was a disgrace second half. Throwing his hands up every time a ball didn’t reach him, pointing the finger at his team mates and gave up after the about 55 minutes .

Think he’s a cnut.

It's Joao, also really super negative opinion to form of our player after, from your comment, a bad half of football.

I was just watching him throughout the half and I was getting more and more pissed off with his quite obvious attitude.

It was concerning me during the first half, let alone the second.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Sep 2019 10:55

Snowflake Royal
leon
tidus_mi2 It's Joao, also really super negative opinion to form of our player after, from your comment, a bad half of football.

It was concerning me during the first half, let alone the second.

Was in the ED stand so had the opportunity to see his performance fairly closely second half. Was very surprised he wasn’t subbed.

Gomes decided to go for a more unconventional approach instead.

Which totally fcuked us.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2019 10:56

Zip
I have to say he got it spot on. They kept their shape superbly. Charlton were excellent in the second half. They took control right from the start.

That's the advantage of having an established promotion side. Yesterday we looked like a team of strangers on occcasions . Little movement. Slow predictable build up play.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2019 11:00

The Enfield Royal71
Snowball
Zip

Do you mean roy keane, not his brother Robbie?

I'm scared of all Irishmen

180 posts