Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 16:32

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Denver Royal
Ascotexgunner
It's worrying for us fans.
The youngsters just are not getting a go.

Sounds dramatic, but is just not true?
Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise. He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready.
Who else should be getting a go? Loader, who people moan about (on and off the pitch), and who doesn't have a position, etc. Who else?

Actually yes he is playing a lot of youngsters tbf.

A case could be made that he's playing too many!

Ejaria is only 21.
Meite is 23.
John Swift only just turned 24.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2019 16:37

Denver Royal
Denver Royal Sounds dramatic, but is just not true?
Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise. He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready.
Who else should be getting a go? Loader, who people moan about (on and off the pitch), and who doesn't have a position, etc. Who else?

Actually yes he is playing a lot of youngsters tbf.

Ejaria is only 21.
Meite is 23.

+ Puscas 23

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 16:54

Denver Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Actually yes he is playing a lot of youngsters tbf.

Ejaria is only 21.
Meite is 23.

+ Puscas 23

Yep, sorry, so amended as follows:

Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise.
He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready.
Boye, Puscas and Miazga are 23 ?
Ejaria 21, Meite 23, and Swift 24.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2019 17:00

Always forget how young Swift is.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Oct 2019 17:01

Ejaria and Swift are two of the most exciting players we have, however maybe it's a Lampard and Gerard situation where we can't afford the play the both of them and leave too much work for the one more defensive midfielder.

I guess now Swift has given us the option of finding out if we're better with two defensive minded midfielders who can tackle and just one attacking minded midfielder in front. (assuming that's the route Gomes goes down).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2019 17:03

Hendo Always forget how young Swift is.

He used to be even younger IIRC.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2019 17:23

Hendo Always forget how young Swift is.

He used to be even younger IIRC.

:roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2019 17:41

Denver Royal
Denver Royal A case could be made that he's playing too many!

Ejaria is only 21.
Meite is 23.

+ Puscas 23

Yep, sorry, so amended as follows:

Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise.
He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready.
Boye, Puscas and Miazga are 23 ?
Ejaria 21, Meite 23, and Swift 24.

I mean'surely the point is OUR youngsters, not someone else's or new signings who happen to be young.

Rino - should have played every league game. Hasn't.
Richards - should have played every league game. Hasn't.
McIntyre - dropped when others (cpt) worse
Olise - been out of the squad for a bit and made a couple of cameos
Barrett - in and out the team and squad

Take Barrett as an example. Basically in competition with Boye. Who has been rubbish. Barrett could have got twice the game time and we could have saved money.

Sold Novakovich
Loaned out Holsgrove

Both went on tour.

Has East made a league squad yet? He's certainly no worse than Adam who can't run and loves to spray a pass into touch.

Cut Joao, Boye and Adam from the squad and include Nova, Barrett and East / Holsgrove / Olise more and we're saving money, increasing sale value and losing little quality. With a smaller, tighter and more committed squad.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 17:45

Snowflake Royal Gomes will not be here at the end of the season. It's just a matter of time.

And then a few people will say he definitely would have turned it around and we should never have got rid for the next 5 years.

Oh, I hope not. Is your 5-year projection based on the *few people who currently keep bringing up Clement?
Snowflake Royal What's the soonest Gomes' record can be worse than Clement's?

The relevance of this is rather lost on me.
What should we do once armed with the answer? Is it somehow useful to us going forward?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 03 Oct 2019 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2019 17:50

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Gomes will not be here at the end of the season. It's just a matter of time.

And then a few people will say he definitely would have turned it around and we should never have got rid for the next 5 years.

Is your 5-year projection based on the *few people who currently keep bringing up Clement?

What should we do once armed with the answer? Is it somehow useful to us going forward?

It's based on the people who still say we shouldn't have sacked Stam mostly tbh.

There's never anything wrong with comparing current manager with previous manager performance.

As for that question, mere idle curiosity.

But feel free to try to score points. Be nice if someone associated with Reading could get some. Not fancying your chances based on that effort.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Oct 2019 17:56

Denver Royal

Oh, I hope not. Is your 5-year projection based on the *few people who currently keep bringing up Clement?

Not sure who it’s aimed at but I’m bringing up Clement to counter those naive views which called him “terrible”. Because it just isn’t true. And some of these people are the same ones saying Gomes needs time? Well, he’s had more time than Clement and he only has a slightly higher PPG with a lot more money. So I’m confused

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2019 18:03

URZZZZ
Denver Royal

Not sure who it’s aimed at but I’m bringing up Clement to counter those naive views which called him “terrible”. Because it just isn’t true. And some of these people are the same ones saying Gomes needs time? Well, he’s had more time than Clement and he only has a slightly higher PPG with a lot more money. So I’m confused

I think they key point is Denver set his stall against Clement and for Gomes.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 18:14

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Is your 5-year projection based on the *few people who currently keep bringing up Clement?

It's based on the people who still say we shouldn't have sacked Stam mostly tbh.

There's never anything wrong with comparing current manager with previous manager performance.

But feel free to try to score points. Be nice if someone associated with Reading could get some. Not fancying your chances based on that effort.

If/when the club makes that decision on Gomes, I hope discussion about it doesn't then drag on for 5 years afterwards as you project it will. Are you actually hoping it does?
I don't really recall it being that way with Rodgers, Clarke, Adkins, and others.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2019 18:38

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal Is your 5-year projection based on the *few people who currently keep bringing up Clement?

If/when the club makes that decision on Gomes, I hope discussion about it doesn't then drag on for 5 years afterwards as you project it will. Are you actually hoping it does?
I don't really recall it being that way with Rodgers, Clarke, Adkins, and others.

Why would I hope that Denver? Do you think the tone of my comment really suggests that?

Yeah, people did for quite a long time say Rodgers was sacked too soon. Plenty have said Adkins was hard done by. There are those who say the same for Clarke.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 19:01

Btw, what happened to Clement wouldn't preclude Gomes needing more time now.
Indeed, if the club made mistakes with Clement, it would mean they shouldn't treat Gomes that way now.
The club is under different management now anyway.
If mistakes were made in the past, maybe Gomes, the club, and us, will reap some benefit from it.
Anyway...

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 19:14

Hoping the club learn from mistakes, and we can move forward.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Oct 2019 19:50

Denver Royal Hoping the club learn from mistakes, and we can move forward.

Almost quoting BMac Mk1 there Denver.
If there was one sacking I was really bitter about it was his.....never deserved it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2019 19:59

Denver Royal
Ascotexgunner
Good read.

Agree with a lot of it, especially the Richards Obita swap. Totally bizarre.

Not sure I agree with the likes of Olise, Barrett or having Rino AND Pele on etc but what we think of individual players wasn't necessarily your or my point, it's about consistency. Rotation seemingly just for the sake of it I find odd, and the players will find confusing and disheartening.

It's worrying for us fans.
The youngsters just are not getting a go.

But is just not true?
Rino, McIntyre, Barrett, Richards, and 17 year old Olise. He tried to play Virginia, but he wasn't ready. Boye, Puscas and Miazga are 23?
Who else should be getting a go? Loader, who people moan about (on and off the pitch), and who doesn't have a position, etc.
Who else?

Southwood (and the aforementioned Novakovich, who surely can't be much worse than Joao).

But yeah he's clearly not opposed to giving young players chances. Olise is the big sign of that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2019 22:10

I’m not sure what Denver’s issue is with comparing former managers

We compare Stam, Clarke, Gomes, McD and even as far back as Adkins quite regularly. Clement only slightly more as the most recent

What harm is it doing, it’s a valid discussion point - part of it is to also to speculate how long the owners may give him

Don’t get why you get so upset about it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2019 22:23

Hound I’m not sure what Denver’s issue is with comparing former managers

We compare Stam, Clarke, Gomes, McD and even as far back as Adkins quite regularly. Clement only slightly more as the most recent

What harm is it doing, it’s a valid discussion point - part of it is to also to speculate how long the owners may give him

Don’t get why you get so upset about it.

And Coppell. Pardew gets the odd mention. TBH most our managers of the last 30 years get a mention at some point depending on what's going on.

806 posts