GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 20:53

Barnsley sacking the guy who got them promoted last season...

Now that IS harsh
Last edited by Hound on 07 Oct 2019 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:54

Hound Barnsley sacking the guy who got them promoted last season...

‘Resignation’ apparently

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 20:54

WoodleyRoyal

‘Resignation’ apparently

To come here :?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 20:55

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NewCorkSeth I admit I am unhappy with our tactics in recent months but as soon as I saw on twitter that he is about to be sacked I found out I want him to stay. Just for a bit longer. I believe in him. For some reason.

He’s smart enough to see why we are failing. I believe the players are right behind him.

Any justification for this? Or just because you like him?

Player tweets from a number of players. They tend to go quiet when things aren’t going well with the manager.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Oct 2019 20:55

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal With 5 excellent loanees and a really big feel good factor, barely.

Totally different conditions zip. Going in halfway through lifting the mood and just having to raise things a bit, to going in with a proper plan, having serious input on signings. Having to lift the players from your own issues.

Never stayed anywhere long. Never been particularly successful anyway. Never built a successful team.

Oh so only yesterday you admitted he did a good job but now you say he was barely up to it. So it’s Gomes fault when it goes tits up and he gets no credit when the season turns around under his stewardship.

That's not what I've said zip. Take a break and lose some of the outraged indignation, it'll help.

He did a good job. He kept us up, barely. These things are not mutually exclusive. He is no longer doing a good job.

Clement kept us up too btw. You have no problem with the difference between him doing a good job to keep us up and not doing a good job the next season, getting slated and sacked, after fewer games in charge too.

I can't believe this conversation is still going on.
Zip, I know what what will calm you down.....come down to the City Of Cardiff Stadium next Monday and we can call for Giggsy's head when we get dumped out the Euro's. That will take your mind off it. :)

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:55

Hound
WoodleyRoyal

‘Resignation’ apparently

To come here :?

Would rather stick with Gomes :lol: and I’m firmly in the Gomes out club

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 20:56

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Oh so only yesterday you admitted he did a good job but now you say he was barely up to it. So it’s Gomes fault when it goes tits up and he gets no credit when the season turns around under his stewardship.

That's not what I've said zip. Take a break and lose some of the outraged indignation, it'll help.

He did a good job. He kept us up, barely. These things are not mutually exclusive. He is no longer doing a good job.

Clement kept us up too btw. You have no problem with the difference between him doing a good job to keep us up and not doing a good job the next season, getting slated and sacked, after fewer games in charge too.

Ian why not take a break too hun. You don’t seem to realise your posts are just as aggressive. Clement was given until December by which time a decision had to be made with the January window just around the corner. The same applies with Gomes.

I'm being perfectly polite and reasonable zip. I'm asking reasonable questions and making backing up my points with reasoning and examples.

You're the one mistaking and twisting what I'm saying, and making blank assertions.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 20:57

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Zip, I know what what will calm you down.....come down to the City Of Cardiff Stadium next Monday and we can call for Giggsy's head when we get dumped out the Euro's. That will take your mind off it. :)

I shall be in Cardiff on Sunday night cheering the boys to our second win in three days. In Ryan Giggs I trust :shock:
Last edited by Zip on 07 Oct 2019 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:57

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
Zip

:arrow: general football

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Oct 2019 21:00

Zip
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal That's not what I've said zip. Take a break and lose some of the outraged indignation, it'll help.

I shall be in Cardiff on Sunday night cheering the boys to our second win in three days. In Ryan Giggs I trust :shock:

:lol: not if we defend like the last 20 minutes in the last game we won't......

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 21:01

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal That's not what I've said zip. Take a break and lose some of the outraged indignation, it'll help.

Ian why not take a break too hun. You don’t seem to realise your posts are just as aggressive. Clement was given until December by which time a decision had to be made with the January window just around the corner. The same applies with Gomes.

I'm being perfectly polite and reasonable zip. I'm asking reasonable questions and making backing up my points with reasoning and examples.

You're the one mistaking and twisting what I'm saying, and making blank assertions.

That really is a bit rich. leon picked you up yesterday for something that you said on this subject. You followed it up with highly confusing and statistically incorrect posts which other posters picked up on.
Anyway I’m done with you on this subject.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 21:02

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
He’s smart enough to see why we are failing. I believe the players are right behind him.

Any justification for this? Or just because you like him?

Player tweets from a number of players. They tend to go quiet when things aren’t going well with the manager.

The players loved stam and were right behind him to a man. Players referring to him as a father figure. 99% of fans wanted him gone. Fans are voting with their feet attendances are down. Feel good factor is all but gone. These are the things that the owners will be looking at not whether the players like the bloke or not.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 21:03

Ascotexgunner
Zip
Ascotexgunner

:lol: not if we defend like the last 20 minutes in the last game we won't......

I’m not optimistic. Slovakia is in many ways the more important match. Avoid defeat in that and win our last two and we might sneak second place, Anything against Croatia will be a bonus.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Oct 2019 21:06

WoodleyRoyal Managers available with level of experience needed. Not saying we should go for these. But all of the below are without a job at the moment.

Hughes
Hughton
Parky
Allardyce
Karanka
McCarthy
Moyes
O'Neill
Pardew
Pearson
Pulis
Rowett

Which McCarthy is this?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 21:08

NewCorkSeth
WoodleyRoyal Managers available with level of experience needed. Not saying we should go for these. But all of the below are without a job at the moment.

Hughes
Hughton
Parky
Allardyce
Karanka
McCarthy
Moyes
O'Neill
Pardew
Pearson
Pulis
Rowett

Which McCarthy is this?

Mick

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Oct 2019 21:09

WoodleyRoyal
NewCorkSeth

Hughes
Hughton
Parky
Allardyce
Karanka
McCarthy
Moyes
O'Neill
Pardew
Pearson
Pulis
Rowett

Which McCarthy is this?

Mick

Um. He's the ROI manager.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 21:11

NewCorkSeth
WoodleyRoyal
NewCorkSeth Which McCarthy is this?

Mick

:lol: so he is, I just went through these https://www.thesackrace.com/job-centre and he was listed being without a job :|

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Oct 2019 21:14

WoodleyRoyal
NewCorkSeth
WoodleyRoyal
Mick

:lol: so he is, I just went through these https://www.thesackrace.com/job-centre and he was listed being without a job :|

Imagine having a site with the sole purpose of showing managers employment statuses and failing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 21:27

Elm Park Kid I'm assuming that no one was calling for Gomes to be sacked after we beat Huddersfield 2-0 away? So we're talking about a change of mind after 6 matches . . . . 6 matches . . . which include two away games against teams currently in the top six (one of which we drew).

Look - I thought that hiring the guy was a big mistake in the first place. And if this is just biting the bullet and correcting that mistake then fair enough. But I just completely reject that idea that you can judge any manager that is trying to get a load of new players working together on the basis of two months.

I mean - results in six games can be dependent on luck as much as anything. What if we'd got a lucky penalty or red card in a couple of the games and won? Would you then all be calling for him to stay? There's a reason why managers should be judged over seasons and not matches.

Interesting point. No, after 5 games when our record was W2, D1, L2, and we were still in a new season high with exciting signings and someone who had helped bring a feel good factor back and kept us up, funnily enough no one thought Gomes should be sacked.

However, the situation has changed. Since then we've lost five games, with the exact same problems at fault in all of them, same as the ones we lost at the start of the season.

We were poor against Wednesday. We were poor against Hull, but threw it all at them at the end, still couldn't save the game
We had a good run of three results, but were battered by West Brom.
We were poor against Charlton.
We were poor against Middlesbrough, but threw it all at them at the end, still couldn't save the game.
We were poor against Blackburn
We were poor against Swansea, but threw it all at them at the end and snuck a late draw.
Were atrocious against Fulham and got battered.
We were poor against Bristol, were given the entire second half to go at them and couldn't save the game.

The pattern is the same. We start slowly. We are open on the flanks because of our tactics. Our midfield is wide open and our defence doesn't mark. We concede an early goal and never look like turning it around. This is the same no matter the XI or formation and Gomes has tried lots of different ones.

On top of that, Gomes finished last season with 1 win in 7. On top of that his record prior to us is poor. He's never stayed anywhere for two years. He's never built a team. He's never taken a club to the next level.

The positives about Gomes were the feel good factor and the loanees. Both have for the most part gone. It's reasonable to review the situation at this point.

I don't buy the new players or no time to plan or prepare arguments.

You plan for what you have and what you want. The signings should be to a plan. I wouldn't expect us to be doing this badly if we hadn't been able to splurge millions at the end of the window.

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it here. Two of the new signings are not new. They were here last season. Morrison stepped up and looked good immediately. Adam isn't playing and clearly wasn't intended to play much. Cabral has stepped in and been fine. Virginia was a stupid awful signing and has been replaced with Cabral.

That leaves Joao - a player with a suspect reputation who has never established himself fully anywhere. If we're banking on him coming good to save our season that's desperate.

Puscas - a young and inexperienced player.

Pele.

That's three players, arguably two of whom it's unreasonable to rely heavily on coming good at any stage this season.

And I'll say the problem isn't player performance. It's tactics, shape, pressing, marking, selection. These are all the manager and coaching team's responsibility.

If we were doing this badly because we had a lot of injuries, or hadn't been able to make signings, I'd be more sympathetic.

But there's no excuse.

As it is, I'd give Gomes a few more games, albeit with no expectation of improvement.

BUT, not if Hughton, who is a far superior manager in every way, is available, interested and potentially missable if we don't act now.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Oct 2019 21:28

Agree with that Ian.

And if the owners don’t pull the trigger now; getting trounced by Preston next week is going to make for a belting atmosphere.

“Boooooooooooooooooooooo”
Last edited by royalp-we on 07 Oct 2019 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

806 posts