by Denver Royal » 03 Oct 2019 22:42

Snowball
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Hendo Always forget how young Swift is.

He used to be even younger IIRC.

Yeah, but he's older now

and now

and even older...

Hendo, doubt you're alone in that. I forget too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2019 22:42

So we're 10 games in.
P10, W2, D2, L6, F11, A16, with a recent form of: LLLDL

This time last season:
P10, W2, D3, L5, with a recent form of: LWLWD

Ten games is enough time to really start judging performance, and it's inexcusably shit.

So, if I was Howe, I'd be saying, Jose, this isn't acceptable. You must start turning this round, now. You need to show us some improvement in the next 5 games. You have to start winning more than a point a game, if you can't achieve that, we're going to have to seriously consider look at finding someone who can do better.

Give him a 5 game period. Extend it by a game for every draw, 2 games for a win.

Get to averaging above 1.3 ppg over a 5 game period and the clock stops ticking and we can reconsider if form regresses again.

Means he should get at least another 6 or 7 games minimum to turn things round, but if it's not a decent pick up he goes sooner rather than later and we can get on with something that will work rather than getting further and further behind with no improvement.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Oct 2019 23:12

Snowflake Royal So we're 10 games in.

This time last season:

Ten games is enough time to really start judging performance, and it's inexcusably shit.

So, if I was Howe, I'd be saying, Jose, this isn't acceptable. You must start turning this round, now. You need to show us some improvement in the next 5 games. You have to start winning more than a point a game, if you can't achieve that, we're going to have to seriously consider look at finding someone who can do better.

Give him a 5 game period. Extend it by a game for every draw, 2 games for a win.

Get to averaging above 1.3 ppg over a 5 game period and the clock stops ticking and we can reconsider if form regresses again.

Means he should get at least another 6 or 7 games minimum to turn things round, but if it's not a decent pick up he goes sooner rather than later and we can get on with something that will work rather than getting further and further behind with no improvement.

I think one of the biggest problems we had last season was the timing of things. That three game period with Marshall in was an absolute disaster. But it meant when Gomes joined, he started on the busy Christmas period. Again, another three games gone. And then you come to the realisation we've picked up two points out of a possible 18

We're now at an international break after Saturday. The board need to make their mind up. If there's any doubt, sack him. Give the new guy as long as possible to work with the squad. If you're willing to give him a bit longer, maybe give him till the next international break. Don't sack Gomes before a busy period like last season. December 2018 nearly relegated us and we can't repeat that mistake

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Oct 2019 23:24

URZZZZ

This time last season:

I think one of the biggest problems we had last season was the timing of things. That three game period with Marshall in was an absolute disaster. But it meant when Gomes joined, he started on the busy Christmas period. Again, another three games gone. And then you come to the realisation we've picked up two points out of a possible 18

We're now at an international break after Saturday. The board need to make their mind up. If there's any doubt, sack him. Give the new guy as long as possible to work with the squad. If you're willing to give him a bit longer, maybe give him till the next international break. Don't sack Gomes before a busy period like last season. December 2018 nearly relegated us and we can't repeat that mistake

And, with all due respect to Marshall who is fine for the U23s, they need to have a different caretaker boss lined up!!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Oct 2019 00:21

muirinho
URZZZZ

This time last season:

And, with all due respect to Marshall who is fine for the U23s, they need to have a different caretaker boss lined up!!

O’Shea must be the obvious candidate as caretaker

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Oct 2019 00:30

3points
muirinho
URZZZZ

O’Shea must be the obvious candidate as caretaker

Ha, and, depending on his caretaker results...? :)

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 04 Oct 2019 01:31

3points O’Shea must be the obvious candidate as caretaker

Mark Bowen most likely, with his mate Mark Hughes appointed shortly after.

From his Wiki,

Coaching and management
Bowen began his coaching career while at Reading as Mark Hughes made him a member of his coaching staff for the Welsh national side. He then linked up with former Norwich teammate Steve Bruce when he was manager first at Crystal Palace, then at Birmingham City. In 2002, under Bruce and Bowen's stewardship, Birmingham won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs. They won the final against Norwich City in a penalty shoot-out after the match had ended 1–1. Bowen remained at Birmingham for two more years before leaving in the summer of 2004.[3] Shortly afterwards in August 2004 Bowen returned to the Wales national team set-up.[4][5] The move caused some controversy as Hughes appointed Bowen without the knowledge of the Football Association of Wales.[6]

On 16 September 2004, Hughes was appointed manager at Blackburn Rovers and Bowen joined him as assistant manager.[7][8] Whilst at Blackburn, Bowen was linked with the managerial vacancy at both Norwich City and Swansea City.[9][10] In June 2008, Bowen followed Hughes to Manchester City as assistant manager, and left the club with him in December 2009.[11][12] Whilst at Manchester City the club was taken over by the wealthy Abu Dhabi United Group.[13]

In August 2010, Bowen again followed Hughes, to become his assistant at Fulham.[14] Following Hughes departure in June 2011, Bowen remained with Fulham but was removed from assistant manager duties and began to work with the Academy.[citation needed] Bowen worked with Hughes at Queens Park Rangers for a year until Hughes was sacked in November 2012.[15] Bowen and coach Eddie Niedzwiecki took caretaker charge of QPR for one match against Manchester United in a 3–1 defeat.[16]

Bowen then joined Hughes at Stoke City in June 2013.[17] He remained at Stoke until January 2018.[18]

After Hughes was appointed Southampton manager in March 2018, Bowen followed him to St. Mary's, initially on a contract for the remainder of the 2017–18 season. In May 2018, after Southampton's Premier League status was confirmed, it was announced that Bowen had signed a new long-term contract.[19] On 3 December 2018, he was dismissed following the sacking of Mark Hughes.[20]

On 27 March 2019, Bowen was hired as a technical consultant for Reading.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2019 02:34

Ok guys woah woah woah hold it.

Not long ago we were singing his praises. The draw against Swansea away was a great result. To throw out toys out the pram after a red carded defeat is ludicrous no matter how badly we seemed to have been playing before (in fact I think we had the better chances and weren't too bad).

I suspect actually what's happened is quite simple. He spent a long time clearing the team out and building bonds with existing players and developing a system. He was told there would be no investment at all so spent the whole of preseason with that in mind. Then all of a sudden there's a monster influx of expensive players that he suddenly has to get his head round and incorporate into his system and get to know and man manage. That's not fair.

What we are seeing is totally consistent with a manager who doesn't know all his players yet. Yeah so he did very well with 5-3-2 in the glory week but he can't be sure what part of that worked. The players? The formation? Thinking about it more I suspect he is using this as preseason.

I was bemused at Obita coming in but if you have everyone at the club telling you he was our best LB you would try him I guess, if only to shut fans up.

It's not like he carried over the same team, had a while preseason with them and is still struggling.

He needs to be given a clear time limit to improve but I think it has to be lenient.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2019 07:30

He was expecting players all summer - I don’t think he ever envisaged starting the season with who he took on the tour

The fact the players cane in late didn’t help certainly - but in saying that, 2 were players he had last year - and I think we only started with 3 newbies in tuesday

As Ian and Urzz suggest - 2 ways of playing it for the owners. Lose at Bristol and give the new manager a good run (be amazed if Mark Hughes wasn’t watching us on red button the other day) or give Gomes a bit of time with a big kick up the backside. I don’t think he’ll get long though tbh. Suspect the owners are fuming, not just with the position but the awful home performances and the dwindling crowds and good will

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Oct 2019 07:52

Hound He was expecting players all summer - I don’t think he ever envisaged starting the season with who he took on the tour

Only on the proviso we got rid of players though. When we couldn't get the Oliveira deal over the line I'm pretty sure he didn't think we'd be splashing out 12m on strikers plus 2 of last January's loanees that we initially couldn't afford either.

It was quite clear he was extremely naïve in thinking that just because he informed those players early they weren't wanted that would see them leave early and be able to replace them early. Gunter, McCleary and Baldock are still here and the others are mainly out on loan.

RFC old time fan

by RFC old time fan » 04 Oct 2019 08:14

Ascotexgunner
Denver Royal Hoping the club learn from mistakes, and we can move forward.

Almost quoting BMac Mk1 there Denver.

If there was one sacking I was really bitter about it was his.....never deserved it.
As a sign of protest when Brian Mac was sacked I bought another Reading Shirt (I live in Aus) and on the back I had printed MacDermott. The club wrote and asked if I would prefer a players name. I said no thanks I want MacDermott.
I just had to had to have a Premier league shirt. During my time in Reading, aged 7 years to 33 years I had never seen Reading end higher than 2nd in the Third Division South (1956 or 57 I think), it was at the time when one side from Div 3 south and one side from Div 3 North went up.
I now have seven Reading shirts.
Adelaide is quite a soccer state in the summer. They have to play then because Aussie Rules is the BIG thing in the winter. Aussie rules used to be called "Aussie no rules" when I lived in UK.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2019 08:43

Vision
Hound He was expecting players all summer - I don’t think he ever envisaged starting the season with who he took on the tour

Only on the proviso we got rid of players though. When we couldn't get the Oliveira deal over the line I'm pretty sure he didn't think we'd be splashing out 12m on strikers plus 2 of last January's loanees that we initially couldn't afford either.

It was quite clear he was extremely naïve in thinking that just because he informed those players early they weren't wanted that would see them leave early and be able to replace them early. Gunter, McCleary and Baldock are still here and the others are mainly out on loan.

well yes, but either way he was expecting an influx of players. He did constantly refer to the owners finding 'solutions' even when it was clear it'd be no easy sell on the deadwood.I do wonder if he'd dealt with Gunter, Baldock and McCleary differently if he'd known he couldn't get rid. Not sure he would tbh

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Oct 2019 08:47

Dread to think where we would be if there wasn’t the last minute signings. At the end of the day he knows he has a good squad at his disposal now - hence the ambitious targets he has set for the season.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Oct 2019 08:48

I actually think we have passed the point of no return with Jose.
If after ten games you could see a progression,even if we had the same results,I would keep him.Sadly however we are regressing and Gomes is making the same old,same old mistakes.
Mark Hughes would not be a bad shout.Yes I know he’s not a great coach,but he would scare the bejesus out of these players and the Swift sending off just wouldn’t happen.
The trouble is if we leave it until December,the one or two players the new guy might want to bring in,might not be there.
That said given the strength of the squad on paper,we really shouldn’t need any new players,just a revving up of the existing squad.
Unless Baker becomes available of course.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2019 08:51

Unreadable.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2019 08:53

Westwood52 Mark Hughes would not be a bad shout.Yes

Thats where I stopped reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2019 08:54

Westwood52 Mark Hughes would not be a bad shout.Yes I know he’s not a great coach,but he would scare the bejesus out of these players and the Swift sending off just wouldn’t happen.

decent enough records with Stoke and Fulham at a level above. He'd do an ok job I think. Don't particularly like him but wouldn't be upset

lets be honest, with Bowen already there, its a very strong chance it would happen

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2019 09:04

Nothing is that bad that we have to accept Mark Hughes as our manager should Gomes go. We should be looking squarly at Gareth Ainsworth and at least interviewing him properly and hearing his ideas. The job he has done at Wycombe is staggering.

My shortlist would be:

Ainsworth
Houghton
Lee Bowyer
Martin O'Neil

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2019 09:20

I’d see it Alex Neil fancied moving somewhere a bit warmer and less wet tbh

But yeah Ainsworth or Hughton would be good

806 posts