GOMES OUT!

806 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: GOMES OUT!

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 20:26

stealthpapes
You see, part of me thinks the strikers are an issue (after all, they aren’t scoring). But having thought about it, how many times have “poor strikers” gone on to be successful elsewhere? Grabban is class for Forest and was for Sunderland, couldn’t score for us. Vydra for Derby was scoring for fun, couldn’t score for us. Sharp has scored goals for fun everywhere, couldn’t score for us. Even Murray wasn’t great for us but in his defence, he did notch quite a few. For all our good play in the second half against Swansea, we still created minimal chances

We have tended, recently, to buy strikers and throw them in without seeming to take into account how they played and the systems they were in previously. Vydra, Sharp, Murray are all very different styles of strikers, so you're going to have to set up differently around them to get the best out of them. The only one that really stands out is Martin but I'm confident that's due to ... ahem .. personal issues.

Grabban is a slightly different case. We brought him in and made him play behind the central striker (Kermorgant) - its really noticeable in the play off final that his job was to try and hold the ball up between the Huddersfield penalty area and the halfway line. This might have been related to Kermorgant's rapidly decreasing mobility, tbh. When he moved to Villa a short while later, they had him playing as a like for like replacement for the injured Kodija.

As a counter example, think back to 2011-12, with Roberts, Hunt, Church and Le Fondre. There was a clear plan about how they would be used, with Hunt and Roberts typically initial terrier and battering ram combo but different substitutions to suit different match situations.

Good post. I saw something today with Martin, said he was playing through with an injury for some of his time here. May have explained his attitude

It’s always good for strikers to have clear roles. I’m not sure asking Puscas to hold the ball up is the greatest idea. As I’ve said many times before, play a player to their strengths and they’ll succeed. Don’t try and shoehorn them in the way you want to play because most probably it won’t work

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2019 21:30

stealthpapes
You see, part of me thinks the strikers are an issue (after all, they aren’t scoring). But having thought about it, how many times have “poor strikers” gone on to be successful elsewhere? Grabban is class for Forest and was for Sunderland, couldn’t score for us. Vydra for Derby was scoring for fun, couldn’t score for us. Sharp has scored goals for fun everywhere, couldn’t score for us. Even Murray wasn’t great for us but in his defence, he did notch quite a few. For all our good play in the second half against Swansea, we still created minimal chances

We have tended, recently, to buy strikers and throw them in without seeming to take into account how they played and the systems they were in previously. Vydra, Sharp, Murray are all very different styles of strikers, so you're going to have to set up differently around them to get the best out of them. The only one that really stands out is Martin but I'm confident that's due to ... ahem .. personal issues.

Grabban is a slightly different case. We brought him in and made him play behind the central striker (Kermorgant) - its really noticeable in the play off final that his job was to try and hold the ball up between the Huddersfield penalty area and the halfway line. This might have been related to Kermorgant's rapidly decreasing mobility, tbh. When he moved to Villa a short while later, they had him playing as a like for like replacement for the injured Kodija.

As a counter example, think back to 2011-12, with Roberts, Hunt, Church and Le Fondre. There was a clear plan about how they would be used, with Hunt and Roberts typically initial terrier and battering ram combo but different substitutions to suit different match situations.

Yeah. This.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 01 Oct 2019 08:33

URZZZZ
stealthpapes

Good post. I saw something today with Martin, said he was playing through with an injury for some of his time here. May have explained his attitude

It’s always good for strikers to have clear roles. I’m not sure asking Puscas to hold the ball up is the greatest idea. As I’ve said many times before, play a player to their strengths and they’ll succeed. Don’t try and shoehorn them in the way you want to play because most probably it won’t work

Yes, saw that as well, chronic illness. There were also strong rumours of old personal issues bubbling up.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Oct 2019 20:51

Last season when Clement was struggling, the squad was poor and the club was a mess. I genuinely didn't think a new manager would improve things, and was delighted to be proven wrong.

This is different. Howe is back, we seem to have stable owners and, most importantly, this squad is way too good to be in a relegation battle. I have no doubt another manager can do better; is Hughton available? Would he come here?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Oct 2019 20:53

WestYorksRoyal Last season when Clement was struggling, the squad was poor and the club was a mess. I genuinely didn't think a new manager would improve things, and was delighted to be proven wrong.

This is different. Howe is back, we seem to have stable owners and, most importantly, this squad is way too good to be in a relegation battle. I have no doubt another manager can do better; is Hughton available? Would he come here?

Good shout with Hughton (if we can attract him)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Oct 2019 20:55

Didn't want him gone but his persistence in a 3 man midfield with Swift and Ejaria in is driving me to the edge to the point where I wouldn't be upset to see him gone tonight

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2019 20:57

Posted something similar in the other thread

Gomes served a purpose last year. Came in, gave some love got a good spirit going

Tactically he has never been great. The smile and the optimism has worn off and we’re left with a talented but poorly set up side that has gaping holes and is found out again and again.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Oct 2019 21:03

Hound Posted something similar in the other thread

Gomes served a purpose last year. Came in, gave some love got a good spirit going

Tactically he has never been great. The smile and the optimism has worn off and we’re left with a talented but poorly set up side that has gaping holes and is found out again and again.

The gaping holes are in how we set ourselves up; not necessarily personnel. The only real improvement I'd make to this squad is a player in the Lewis Baker mold who can dictate the game. But there are ways to play and cope without that. I agree he was perfect for what we needed last year; I'm not sure he's the right man any more

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2019 21:05

Yep I meant in set up not players with the holes

alfie9

by alfie9 » 01 Oct 2019 21:07

Mendonca in

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 01 Oct 2019 21:16

I can't believe another manager has spunked loads of money on shit players

We could have given McNulty a chance to bed in for just wages instead of Puscas

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Oct 2019 21:26

Let’s hope the club have Chris Hughton’s number, think they should start calling now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2019 21:39

Sutekh Let’s hope the club have Chris Hughton’s number, think they should start calling now.

Tweet him to call them.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Oct 2019 21:40

Sutekh Let’s hope the club have Chris Hughton’s number, think they should start calling now.

Bowen definitely has Hughes number.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Oct 2019 21:55

sandman

Andy’s ?

alfie9

by alfie9 » 01 Oct 2019 21:58

Just seen the Meite contract, why are we handing out FOUR year deals to squad players??? This club will never learn

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Oct 2019 22:01

Sutekh
sandman

Andy’s ?

Bettany's
Last edited by sandman on 01 Oct 2019 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Oct 2019 22:07

alfie9 Just seen the Meite contract, why are we handing out FOUR year deals to squad players??? This club will never learn

More to the point, why did we hand out a 4-yr deal to Joao when he’s been average his whole career?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Oct 2019 22:18

Notts Royal
alfie9 Just seen the Meite contract, why are we handing out FOUR year deals to squad players??? This club will never learn

More to the point, why did we hand out a 4-yr deal to Joao when he’s been average his whole career?

Accounting dodge to spread the cost of the transfer fee we couldn't actually afford due to FFP at the time.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Oct 2019 22:20

Can we stop sacking managers?

Seriously we need to give the manager a chance, surely?

806 posts