MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a) sponsored by hopeless causes

270 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a) sponsored by hopeless causes

by SCIAG » 06 Oct 2019 13:52

I thought Baldock was unlucky last season but now he's getting the Popa treatment - people's opinion of him goes up and up the longer he is out of the team.

Suspect if Baldock does play then after a few games people will be calling for Loader instead.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 13:56

SCIAG I thought Baldock was unlucky last season but now he's getting the Popa treatment - people's opinion of him goes up and up the longer he is out of the team.

Suspect if Baldock does play then after a few games people will be calling for Loader instead.

No, because Popa had one good game in a Reading shirt and is one of the biggest wasters ever to play for us

Baldock is a professional and even though shunted out to the left wing in many appearances, still worked hard and scored some goals for us, including a vital goal against Rotherham

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 13:59

SCIAG I thought Baldock was unlucky last season but now he's getting the Popa treatment - people's opinion of him goes up and up the longer he is out of the team.

+1

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2019 15:17

Snowflake Royal

+1

Baldock has a decent record in this division and was part of a good Brighton team. He did ok last season when not injured. Popa was indeed a waster.

I’m not his biggest fan and if we went say 4-4-2, he wouldn’t get a look in for me. But in this current system he might work better. He is also something different. Just replacing Joao/Puscas/Meite and to an extent Boye with each other isn’t really changing anything much

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 15:28

Hound
Snowflake Royal

+1

Baldock has a decent record in this division and was part of a good Brighton team. He did ok last season when not injured. Popa was indeed a waster.

I’m not his biggest fan and if we went say 4-4-2, he wouldn’t get a look in for me. But in this current system he might work better. He is also something different. Just replacing Joao/Puscas/Meite and to an extent Boye with each other isn’t really changing anything much

I should say, I don't think Baldock is anywhere as bad as a Popa. And I sort of semi agree on your assessment of the others, but I don't think Baldock really brings a lot to the table either.

I'd much much rather sort out the tactics with who we have, than start resurrecting careers.

It's so frustrating that Gomes had a system that basically worked. And has then abandoned it for something shit, and not properly replaced the players we lost. I mean, when Baker left we were crying out for a fairly solid all rounder / play maker. We got Ejaria and Adam.

And then wasted our time with all three of Boye, Joao and Puscas, getting rid of Nova in the process. And let Barrow go, without any effort to bring in even a remotely similar player. And given the main reasons we stayed up last season were Miazga, Martinez, Rinomhota, Baker, Barrow and Meite... it's baffling how no effort was made to replace Baker or Barrow, and Meite, Rinomhota and Miazga have been marginalised to greater or lesser extents.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2019 15:45

Snowflake Royal
It's so frustrating that Gomes had a system that basically worked. And has then abandoned it for something shit

Nail on head. Basically the summary of this season

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 16:01

Hound
Snowflake Royal

+1

Disagree here. Baldock is the perfect foil for a 4-4-2, look how well he played with Murray at Brighton in that system

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Oct 2019 17:26

I rate Baldock but he isn't going to be the saviour. As I said, he was unlucky to be marginalised to such an extent, but he isn't much different in ability from Meite and Joao.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2019 18:07

Agree of similar ability. Just of different style and one to my eyes would be better suited for how we play

I do think he is a decent guy to work with a younger player up front. Did notice just how much he talks to his forward partner last year - constantly advising and encouraging

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 17 Oct 2019 16:00

Thou Voice
Aeroguide Back to the relegation zone :(

Have faith...

Do You See ? :shock:

see what? :roll:

270 posts