Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
karbota
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by karbota » 13 Oct 2019 23:11

oxford-nick We all know we miss Steve Clarke

WTF is this wan£er on about?, FO back to Oxford.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Oct 2019 23:18

Lower West
Old Man Andrews Football is a very different game now, all it is.

The concern must be that one day the Chinese love of buying football clubs as trophy's will wane. Just in the same way that buying Hamleys, House of Fraser and Thomas Cook has proved to be an unmitigated financial disaster. With rumours abounding that Pizza Express could be the next to topple. Maybe entreprenuers in their own right back home. Overseas they've a lot to learn.

What like Dyson?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Oct 2019 00:28

CountryRoyal I’m surprised Kia Joorabchian doesn’t have any managerial links and contacts that we could pursue.

I’m sure he does and I’m sure we have CR. It’s just the bookies and punters don’t know about them yet..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 08:21

Has there been any word on the rest of Gomes' staff?

Presumably those he brought from Portugal have also gone?

Who is left to take training and prep for the game in the absence of a new team?

O'Shea, Bowen and Marshall?

Stjimmy

Mark Bowen

by Stjimmy » 14 Oct 2019 08:48

What are peoples views on him becoming the next Manager?

Personally i would be pretty pissed off. I see nothing in his resume to suggest he would be a good appointment and it does have a look of “I will get him out of the door and take the job myself” about it.

Not for me.......

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 09:07

Yep. Bowen probably likely to be caretaker if he hasn’t appointed himself full time this week for Preston I imagine

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Oct 2019 09:14

Tim Sherwood has been slashed from 40/1 to just 6/4 to become the next Reading manager!

https://mobile.twitter.com/thesackrace? ... r%5Eauthor

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 09:15

Can confrim Mark Bowen will be taking over as manager.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 09:35

Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal Interesting we've had as many managers in the last 6 years since SJM relinquished control than the 25 years after he appointed McGhee.

McGhee
Gooding/Quinn
Bullivant
Burns
Pardew
Coppell
Rodgers
McDermott

Vs

Adkins
Clarke
McDermott
Stam
Clement
Gomes
Bowen??

Very stark

Football is a very different game now, all it is.

Whats changed? I see a pitch, ball, lines, 22 men, referee and 2 assistants, dugout, manager, tweaked with the laws, but help me out here.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 09:38

paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal Interesting we've had as many managers in the last 6 years since SJM relinquished control than the 25 years after he appointed McGhee.

McGhee
Gooding/Quinn
Bullivant
Burns
Pardew
Coppell
Rodgers
McDermott

Vs

Adkins
Clarke
McDermott
Stam
Clement
Gomes
Bowen??

Very stark

Whats changed? I see a pitch, ball, lines, 22 men, referee and 2 assistants, dugout, manager, tweaked with the laws, but help me out here.

The pressures on managers to get instant result, the finances, the patience of supporters, the demands of players.

Anything else?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 09:38

With Bowen now at odds of 1/12 - that would tell you its a done deal. Nearest is Sherwood at 12s.

Tell you what, he must rate himself and got a magic wand because he has put himself under an enormous amount of pressure from the get go. Executioner turned manager rolled into one. Good luck with that.

Maybe he knows something, maybe he is that confident we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 09:39

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal

The pressures on managers to get instant result, the finances, the patience of supporters, the demands of players.

Anything else?

No, we will leave it on "The Team" page - if anything its "General Football" - but this will do.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 09:40

paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews

McGhee
Gooding/Quinn
Bullivant
Burns
Pardew
Coppell
Rodgers
McDermott

Vs

Adkins
Clarke
McDermott
Stam
Clement
Gomes
Bowen??

Very stark

And if you want to see 2 clubs of a similar size flourishing under stability, look at Bournemouth and Burnley. There's more money around in the Championship for sure, but the successful formula ultimately remains the same. Especially as our owners have the ability to compete in financial terms if they can just build the foundations and get the setup right.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 09:46

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal

Anything else?

Is this new? I remember both Pardew and Coppell were under pressure before they achieved what they did. Pardew when we were mid-table in early 01/02 and Coppell after we blew our good position in 04/05 and the loss against Plymouth. That pressure would have increased several times over if we'd started the season like this year.

What we had was a Chairman and hierarchy who were not only patient, but brave enough to hold their nerve when things didn't go well. Rather like Burnley keeping Dyche after relegation

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Oct 2019 09:48

paultheroyal With Bowen now at odds of 1/12 - that would tell you its a done deal. Nearest is Sherwood at 12s.

Tell you what, he must rate himself and got a magic wand because he has put himself under an enormous amount of pressure from the get go. Executioner turned manager rolled into one. Good luck with that.

Maybe he knows something, maybe he is that confident we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

If true, can't help being disappointed. But that's probably a good thing as I was equally disappointed with McGhee, Quinn/Gooding, McDermott, Pardew

Will have the continuity, knows the players. Will hopefully bring in a decent coaching team.

But yeah you're right, will be under significant pressure for sure.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 09:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup
paultheroyal With Bowen now at odds of 1/12 - that would tell you its a done deal. Nearest is Sherwood at 12s.

If true, can't help being disappointed. But that's probably a good thing as I was equally disappointed with McGhee, Quinn/Gooding, McDermott, Pardew

Will have the continuity, knows the players. Will hopefully bring in a decent coaching team.

This is the part about it I don't like. I would rather someone came in who didn't know the players and makea new assesment of them, some of them think they are still on holiday and haven't started the season yet. We needed someone like Gareth Ainsworth to come in and remotivate them and give them some belief. He is a proven excellent man manager.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 14 Oct 2019 10:01

Bowen. :shock: :?

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 14 Oct 2019 10:05

IF it is Bowen, surely has to be down to FFP.

Also throws into question the Gomes sacking for me too, no secret that he was on a decent sum of money - obviously results didn't help his cause, but does make me think getting his salary off the books and appointing internally could make it a financial decision?

If Bowen does get the job, we obviously need to back him, regardless if we think it is the right appointment or not - perhaps an under-stated appointment may not be the worst thing?
Last edited by hughsies no.1 on 14 Oct 2019 10:07, edited 2 times in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 10:06

hughsies no.1 IF it is Bowen, surely has to be down to FFP.

Nothing to do with it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 10:06

Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup

This is the part about it I don't like. I would rather someone came in who didn't know the players and makea new assesment of them, some of them think they are still on holiday and haven't started the season yet. We needed someone like Gareth Ainsworth to come in and remotivate them and give them some belief. He is a proven excellent man manager.

You'd go for Ainsworth OMA?

I'm happy to give Bowen a chance. Certainly pressure will be on, but he must have seen things he thinks he can do a lot better than were being done before. Guessing he'll bring in his old coaching team so will have plenty of experience. A few of us did give him some credit for our improved displays after he joined the club last year, so there are signs he may be ok

Wonder who will take over as DOF?

606 posts