385 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by Zip » 14 Oct 2019 18:14

Stranded
boycey Sweet baby Jesus

Bring back Jose , he was so handsome

We've had most of our success in recent years under hair-challenged managers, so from that angle alone this move is a big plus.

Is this a bald fact?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 18:16

Good interview on the club's YouTube. Comes across very well IMO.

I like him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Oct 2019 18:23

It would be the most Reading thing ever if he does really well and gets us promoted after all this backlash

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 18:37

According to J Low, Gunter and McCleary are to be brought back into the squad. Can’t find a place for Gunter personally although Yiadom is on awful form (perhaps down to tactics) but even though I’m not McCleary’s biggest fan, he could be an option as one of our only wingers, even if it is just brief spells on the bench

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 14 Oct 2019 18:37

Thoroughly underwhelmed, but to be fair to the guy, if he turns it around after 10 games it will be all forgotten. He’s a brave man though, wouldn’t have had the balls to take it given the circumstances.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 14 Oct 2019 18:38

He won’t be here at the end of the season and we’ll be playing Coventry away next season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Oct 2019 18:40

Kitsondinho He won’t be here at the end of the season and we’ll be playing Coventry away next season.

Are Coventry coming up?
And which Premier League team do you think are going to take MB ?

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 14 Oct 2019 19:05

Franchise FC
Kitsondinho He won’t be here at the end of the season and we’ll be playing Coventry away next season.

Are Coventry coming up?
And which Premier League team do you think are going to take MB ?

Premier League, more likely the Vanarama league

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Oct 2019 19:21

With Mark Bowen and John O`Shea we still have from the old regime Joao Penedo analyst and assistant coach, Jorge Baptista goalkeeper coach and Rui Santos fitness coach. Bit light on personnel ?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Oct 2019 19:24

genome It would be the most Reading thing ever if he does really well and gets us promoted after all this backlash

Is there really much backlash though?
As I see it fans are a bit surprised at the appointment and maybe disappointed that the club has not selected an experienced organiser to sort this lot out and get the best from them, something that hasn't happened during his time of involvement in the supervisory structure..

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Oct 2019 19:40

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline
URZZZZ
Yeah, because the man who took us to a playoff final and then promotion in consecutive seasons was so sought after

I understand that Pardew and McDermott were successes. I also understand that Clement, Gomes were not. Bowen is not Pardew of McDermott, he hasnt worked with lots of the players in training, or scouted them, or worked with the u21s. He joined in March.

If anyone is more excited about this than getting in Chris Hughton, then f*** me. fair play, you really see the sunny side of life. But Hughton is unemployed, has repeatedly got teams recently out of this division and comes across well. The fact we havent got him as a manager is a dissapointment to me.

Hughton would be amazing, but do you really think he'd be interested? Always a massive long shot and no chance we've appointed Bowen instead of him as a genuine option.

Presumably lives not far away, another chance to get a team promoted, Reading have been in the PL in recent years, FA Cup semi finalists, we just spent a load of money, fair enough that probably curtails us, but we used to be able to poach other teams managers, Coppel, Rodgers for example, now we just seem to get dross. Bowen is Clement without the stellar CV.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Oct 2019 19:43

It would be interesting to know who else was interviewed for the job, who else was sounded out but said no.

If others were interested, was Bowen doing the interviewing..

Who interviewed Bowen.

It feels very shabby to come in in March, and 6 months later have sacked the manager having potentially been the one who scouted and chose the players, and then give yourself the job.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Oct 2019 19:47

The new “Reading Way” ?

Give the guy a break...let’s see how he does

He’s got 10 months

unit

by unit » 14 Oct 2019 19:55

AthleticoSpizz The new “Reading Way” ?

Give the guy a break...let’s see how he does

He’s got 10 months

Agree 100%.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 14 Oct 2019 20:07

Another Paul Clement this fella got to wear a suit not the right shape for a tracksuit and he needs a shave

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Oct 2019 20:22

Should be a sound signing until the new year

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Oct 2019 20:24

URZZZZ According to J Low, Gunter and McCleary are to be brought back into the squad. Can’t find a place for Gunter personally although Yiadom is on awful form (perhaps down to tactics) but even though I’m not McCleary’s biggest fan, he could be an option as one of our only wingers, even if it is just brief spells on the bench

Baldock too? I think he could do a job in this team.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Oct 2019 20:26

Victor Meldrew
genome It would be the most Reading thing ever if he does really well and gets us promoted after all this backlash

Is there really much backlash though?
As I see it fans are a bit surprised at the appointment and maybe disappointed that the club has not selected an experienced organiser to sort this lot out and get the best from them, something that hasn't happened during his time of involvement in the supervisory structure..

Is there a backlash!? You're either blind or you don't have Twitter

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 21:37

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline
I understand that Pardew and McDermott were successes. I also understand that Clement, Gomes were not. Bowen is not Pardew of McDermott, he hasnt worked with lots of the players in training, or scouted them, or worked with the u21s. He joined in March.

If anyone is more excited about this than getting in Chris Hughton, then f*** me. fair play, you really see the sunny side of life. But Hughton is unemployed, has repeatedly got teams recently out of this division and comes across well. The fact we havent got him as a manager is a dissapointment to me.

Hughton would be amazing, but do you really think he'd be interested? Always a massive long shot and no chance we've appointed Bowen instead of him as a genuine option.

Presumably lives not far away, another chance to get a team promoted, Reading have been in the PL in recent years, FA Cup semi finalists, we just spent a load of money, fair enough that probably curtails us, but we used to be able to poach other teams managers, Coppel, Rodgers for example, now we just seem to get dross. Bowen is Clement without the stellar CV.

4 relegation battles in the last 5 seasons and another this year. It's about 8 years since we were in the PL.

Hughton just has to wait and he'll walk into a team at least halfway up the table in a much stronger position.

Totally unrealistic target.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2019 21:39

Greatwesternline It would be interesting to know who else was interviewed for the job, who else was sounded out but said no.

If others were interested, was Bowen doing the interviewing..

Who interviewed Bowen.

It feels very shabby to come in in March, and 6 months later have sacked the manager having potentially been the one who scouted and chose the players, and then give yourself the job.

The owners and CEO gave him the job, he was asked, not appointed by himself.

He also won't have sacked Gomes solely on his own authority, it will have involved the owners and probably Howe too.

385 posts