CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by Hound » 18 Jan 2020 12:44

Gomes played his part in turning things around. We were near rock bottom when he came in. But was absolutely the right decision to sack him when we did

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jan 2020 13:43

First few pages of this thread are quite interesting

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Jan 2020 13:52

Stranded
boycey Sweet baby Jesus

Bring back Jose , he was so handsome

We've had most of our success in recent years under hair-challenged managers, so from that angle alone this move is a big plus.

Prescient.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Jan 2020 00:38

WoodleyRoyal Surely there isn’t a single reading fan out there now who doesn’t think sacking Gomes was the right decision? The amount of bedwetters on here at the time was an embarrassment. The guy was a fraud. Finally we have a manager who understands how to play in the championship.

Was something more. Like Stam seemed to want buy a team. Than do the hard hours of building one.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Sep 2020 13:19

Zammo
Back the boyo and make some noisyo
(not sure that works…….!?!).

Not really.

Now Bowen has gone you’ll need a new one for Paunovic

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2020 13:47

Back the boys,
And make some noise.
The manager will be gone,
Before you've learnt his song.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Sep 2020 20:07

Snowflake Royal Back the boys,
And make some noise.
The manager will be gone,
Before you've learnt his song.

LOL

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Sep 2020 21:02

We used to know his name,
but they made another change.
Our manager . . . . .woooaahh . . . . . . Our manager.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 06 Sep 2020 22:20

Elm Park Kid We used to know his name,

Also LOL

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Sep 2020 22:29

Fox Talbot

Also LOL

+ LOL

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Sep 2020 07:48

SouthDownsRoyal
Fox Talbot

Also LOL

+ LOL

Yea I like this one! Will the fans get to see Paunovic? Or will he be gone before we’re allowed back into grounds?!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Sep 2020 07:58

Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Fox Talbot
Also LOL

+ LOL

Yea I like this one! Will the fans get to see Paunovic? Or will he be gone before we’re allowed back into grounds?!

We’ll see plenty of him.
Although obviously Ian won’t.
I think those who have written him off before he even starts should be at the back of the queue when tickets become available though...

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Sep 2020 08:00

Nameless
Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
+ LOL

We’ll see plenty of him.
I think those who have written him off before he even starts should be at the back of the queue when tickets become available though...

Agree. Give the guy a chance, or go support another team.

The shambLOLes at Reading isn’t his fault

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2020 08:06

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
Notts Royal

We’ll see plenty of him.

Yep. You can disagree with the owners decision and disagree with how they have handled the Bowen situation, most do, but there is very little point in not supporting the new manager. None of it is Paunovic's fault and he doesn't deserve anything other than support at the moment. If we get 20 games in and we are down the bottom then fair enough, go for him.

Ian constantly tells us how close he is to Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium so why doesn't he save up his pennies and get a season ticket there? Bore the Cambridge United fan boards?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Sep 2020 08:06

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
Notts Royal

We’ll see plenty of him.

I’m confident we will be no higher than mid-table at Christmas so he’ll be gone by the new year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2020 08:08

Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
We’ll see plenty of him.

I’m confident we will be no higher than mid-table at Christmas so he’ll be gone by the new year

Well judging by your other comments in the past we will be top of the league 10 points clear by Christmas. Clueless.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Sep 2020 08:10

Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless
We’ll see plenty of him.

Well you have got upset based on stuff that hasn’t even happened so not sure we should take your ’Confident’ Opinion’ as anything to go on.
If we are comfortably mid table then there’d be no reason to sack him.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Sep 2020 09:41

Old Man Andrews
Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal

Well judging by your other comments in the past we will be top of the league 10 points clear by Christmas. Clueless.

Decided to pick on me today OMA? Grow up

Would be interested to hear which comments you’re basing this on? My opinion has been we have some good players but chopping and changing our management won’t lead to success any time soon. Realistic aim is to go a few places higher this season, but with the lack of continuity around the club I think we’ll go backwards a few places...so I reckon 18

Can’t remember the last time I thought we’d be clear by Christmas. You must be losing your memory pal

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Sep 2020 09:54

Nameless
Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal

Well you have got upset based on stuff that hasn’t even happened so not sure we should take your ’Confident’ Opinion’ as anything to go on.
If we are comfortably mid table then there’d be no reason to sack him.

Tbf that would very much depend on the outlay during this transfer window.

Clement and Gomes weren't sacked because Dai feared relegation. they were sacked because he didn't think they could deliver promotion (or at least a decent run at it ). You don't invest the money they have in the last few summer transfer windows and settle for midtable mediocrity.

At this stage of last pre-season we were supposedly building a young, tight squad that Gomes said he wanted with a few more experienced additions.. Adams and Morrison had been added at this point I think. The expensive deadwood was supposed to be gone (McCleary , Gunter, Baldock etc) and Gomes main target was Oliveira. Had those things happened pre-season we would reasonably have expected an improvement on previous seasons but not necessarily a promotion push..

However we didn't move the deadwood so lost out on Oliveira and it wasn't until 2 games or so into the season when we find some money down the back of the family sofa and in comes Cabrael, Puscas, Joao and Ejaria and the instantly the expectation and pressure is promotion again. All that happened in the space of a couple of days.

If the much vaunted 6-8 signings happens again before this deadline ends then I'm pretty sure unless Dai's MO suddenly changes then midtable, with little sign of play-offs, halfway through the season is unlikely to be enough to save the manager.

As a slight aside with the Bowen situation. he was given an extended deal after his excellent run where we'd gone to within around 6 points of the play-offs around January this year I think. Clearly Dai could see a potential play-off push coming at that time. Subsequent results demonstrated to him that Bowen wasn't the man to deliver that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2020 13:08

That's an assertion you really can't back up Vision.

Gomes had us in the relegation zone iirc and Clement wasn't far off. With a change of the nature made having virtually no chance of obtaining the promotion.

385 posts