BFTG Preston (H)

143 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Preston (H)

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 15:10

John Smith Is Yakou Meite crap? And what is his position?

what did you make of Daniel Johnson's display JS? Wasn't the best was it?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2019 15:21

Hound

I noticed that at several corners we had Preston appeared to have tasked Johnson with marking Liam Moore :lol:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Oct 2019 15:41

Hound

No, pretty dreadful actually. Probably why we managed to get something out of the game and I think the staff should be praised for identifying this strength and negating it accordingly.

They were pretty toothless up top as well - Nugent is a shadow of his former self and they missed Callum Robinson who was good against us last season.

Anyway, I did ask a question...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 16:03

John Smith
Hound

No, pretty dreadful actually. Probably why we managed to get something out of the game and I think the staff should be praised for identifying this strength and negating it accordingly.

They were pretty toothless up top as well - Nugent is a shadow of his former self and they missed Callum Robinson who was good against us last season.

Anyway, I did ask a question...

Ok. No. Inside right forward.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Oct 2019 16:40

Old Man Andrews We needed someone who can get our team to win ugly and that is exactly what we did on Saturday. Full marks to Bowen, he got it spot on.

Exactly, about time we won a game 1-0, and hopefully more to come. Successful sides usually have a good sprinkling of those over the course of a season. Caught them on an off day, but some of that was of our doing.
Preston don't always travel well, but are usually tough at home. Will be a different game up there obv.

Think we caught a bit of a break with the goal. As he looks back, imagine their keeper will have wanted to push initial shot even wider. (Although, he almost redeemed himself by getting a hand to Miazga’s follow up).
sandman Puscas - Couple of half chances but poor again- 4.

Think 4 is a bit harsh, but he's an interesting player, huh? A poacher-type...who right now isn't actually poaching?
He does have ability and instincts though (as you'd want and expect, given what we paid).

Hasn't been getting on the end of balls played into box when sliding in. He's often inches or a foot away/short of it.
Those should be his bread and butter. When it comes in from distance, there’s usually time to adjust/react and place yourself accordingly. (Mentioned his need to improve 1st step, quickness over 5 yards, and how to do it, b4).

Still lifting shots high. Get over it, keep it down, keepers don't like it, bury low in corner, efficiency and higher %.

He's still young, I'm still hopeful, his progress will be interesting. Will see if a more direct/long ball style suits him vs Champ CB's. Ranty made a good point: Funnel back and do more between the lines (as Baldock did).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2019 18:20

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews We needed someone who can get our team to win ugly and that is exactly what we did on Saturday. Full marks to Bowen, he got it spot on.

Exactly, about time we won a game 1-0

First 1-0 win in 68 games. 7th April 2018. Coincidentally that was vs Preston too

That’s an awful record

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2019 18:25

Tilehurstsouthbank
Zip I thought it was a poor game. Lots of misplaced passes, constant stoppages in the second half, aimless football from both teams.

Yep, agreed. I have no issue with us being more direct when required say if the opposition are operating the 'High Press', gives them something to think about but I really hope we're not going to be that direct for the remainder of the season. Still, three points, even if it was 'Meat Pie Ugly'.

Yes. In the end it was job done. Three vital points.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 19:07

URZZZZ
Denver Royal

First 1-0 win in 68 games. 7th April 2018. Coincidentally that was vs Preston too

That’s an awful record

Yep it’s something Denver has picked up on before and it’s absolutely correct. Completely lost the ability to grind out a win and keep a clean sheet. Last ones were Clements two when he first took over?

And they really were horrible backs to the wall scraps. We were much better than that on Saturday

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2019 19:40

Hound
URZZZZ
Denver Royal Exactly, about time we won a game 1-0

That’s an awful record

Yep it’s something Denver has picked up on before and it’s absolutely correct. Completely lost the ability to grind out a win and keep a clean sheet. Last ones were Clements two when he first took over?

And they really were horrible backs to the wall scraps. We were much better than that on Saturday

Yes those wins you refer to were at he back end of 17/18. I think we beat the fake hoops on Good Friday with Mannone’s last minute penalty save. We also edged past Preston. In reality we really should have lost both games but somehow scraped through.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 20:43

Yep, I remember QPR utterly outclassing us. About Aluko’s only decent moment in a reading shirt that as well

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Oct 2019 23:00

URZZZZ
Denver Royal

That’s an awful record

That is shocking :lol: :lol:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Oct 2019 06:46

CountryRoyal
URZZZZ
Denver Royal Exactly, about time we won a game 1-0

That’s an awful record

That is shocking :lol: :lol:

If ever there was a time for ‘Can we play you every week ?’

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Oct 2019 09:03

Hound

No. Inside right forward.

Hound, he's pony. He's more of a target man and not a good one at that. He's certainly not a wide man as he hasn't got the control to dribble, beat a man and cut inside the way that a Rashford would. I think he is the weak link and needs to go.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2019 09:11

John Smith
Hound

Hound, he's pony. He's more of a target man and not a good one at that. He's certainly not a wide man as he hasn't got the control to dribble, beat a man and cut inside the way that a Rashford would. I think he is the weak link and needs to go.

Ah now. Far too harsh. Meite is a good player who's importance to the team shouldnt need to be stated anymore.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 09:40

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
Hound

Ah now. Far too harsh. Meite is a good player who's importance to the team shouldnt need to be stated anymore.

His goals for us are irrelevant. He's not as good as Rashford so he's shite.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2019 09:43

2 world wars, 1 world cup
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Hound, he's pony. He's more of a target man and not a good one at that. He's certainly not a wide man as he hasn't got the control to dribble, beat a man and cut inside the way that a Rashford would. I think he is the weak link and needs to go.

True. I always forget hes nowhere near as good as Rashford.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Oct 2019 09:57

NewCorkSeth
NewCorkSeth Ah now. Far too harsh. Meite is a good player who's importance to the team shouldnt need to be stated anymore.

What goals? He doesn't score and doesn't create. He just chases lost causes which is the only reason fans like him because it makes him look committed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 10:00

John Smith
NewCorkSeth

What goals? He doesn't score and doesn't create. He just chases lost causes which is the only reason fans like him because it makes him look committed.

13 goals last season which kept us in the division and 4 this year isnt it?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2019 10:09

Hound
John Smith
NewCorkSeth True. I always forget hes nowhere near as good as Rashford.

It's almost like those dont count for some reason.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Oct 2019 10:13

NewCorkSeth
Hound
John Smith What goals? He doesn't score and doesn't create. He just chases lost causes which is the only reason fans like him because it makes him look committed.

It's almost like those dont count for some reason.

Not sure I said that, did I?

This season he's scored 2 in a meaningless game at League 2 opposition, a consolation goal while 4-0 down and another in a game we didn't win. In 11 games.

Is that acceptable for a forward, Seth? Get your rose-tinted glasses off and your head out of the sand.

143 posts