BFTG Millwall

179 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Millwall

by Stranded » 04 Nov 2019 08:54

Royals and Racers
royalp-we The simple things Bowen has the players doing has made his first 3 fixtures a joy to watch Reading again; and finally we are playing to the strengths of the players in the team.

The front two are positionally closer together, we look a real threat in attack and the first half Baldock and Puscas could have had a couple each. The tracking back and willingness to win the ball back when we lose possession has meant not one player has had a poor performance. The full backs are running the channels, thanks to the 3 CB’s playing further apart. We finally use a good thrower (Moore or Rino) to launch the ball in to the box for throw ins when in the opposition half, instead of throwing short and ending up in our own half again.

These are just a few things I’ve noted with my limited tactical knowledge - but it’s clear the players are listening to Bowen’s instructions and enjoying playing like an ‘up and at em’ championship team again, instead of attempting to play a passive style they clearly weren’t comfortable, or capable of playing.

You beat me to it about the long throw. We scored the 1st as a result of the long throw. I just can`t understand why before Bowen took charge we never used it at all(as far as i can remember) i had no idea we had anyone capable of launching it !!!

My only concern with the long throw - Moore seems to take them and his shoulder popped - I wonder if there is a link?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Nov 2019 09:06

Stranded
Royals and Racers
royalp-we The simple things Bowen has the players doing has made his first 3 fixtures a joy to watch Reading again; and finally we are playing to the strengths of the players in the team.

The front two are positionally closer together, we look a real threat in attack and the first half Baldock and Puscas could have had a couple each. The tracking back and willingness to win the ball back when we lose possession has meant not one player has had a poor performance. The full backs are running the channels, thanks to the 3 CB’s playing further apart. We finally use a good thrower (Moore or Rino) to launch the ball in to the box for throw ins when in the opposition half, instead of throwing short and ending up in our own half again.

These are just a few things I’ve noted with my limited tactical knowledge - but it’s clear the players are listening to Bowen’s instructions and enjoying playing like an ‘up and at em’ championship team again, instead of attempting to play a passive style they clearly weren’t comfortable, or capable of playing.

You beat me to it about the long throw. We scored the 1st as a result of the long throw. I just can`t understand why before Bowen took charge we never used it at all(as far as i can remember) i had no idea we had anyone capable of launching it !!!

My only concern with the long throw - Moore seems to take them and his shoulder popped - I wonder if there is a link?

No idea what has lead you to that wild conclusion...... :roll:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Nov 2019 09:21

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
Royals and Racers You beat me to it about the long throw. We scored the 1st as a result of the long throw. I just can`t understand why before Bowen took charge we never used it at all(as far as i can remember) i had no idea we had anyone capable of launching it !!!

You mean the conclusion that putting a lot of unsual strain (a throw in, esp. a long one is not an overly natural action) on an already weakened joint could weaken it further potentially causing injury?

Possibly a 2+2=5 moment but just a note of concern that Moore may not be the best player to fling in the ariel bombs if he has an ongoing shoulder issue. Not sure what the issue with that conclusion would be?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Nov 2019 09:35

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Stranded

You mean the conclusion that putting a lot of unsual strain (a throw in, esp. a long one is not an overly natural action) on an already weakened joint could weaken it further potentially causing injury?

Possibly a 2+2=5 moment but just a note of concern that Moore may not be the best player to fling in the ariel bombs if he has an ongoing shoulder issue. Not sure what the issue with that conclusion would be?

I actually thought at the time that was what happened at the game - that Moore did his shoulder doing the long throw for the goal.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Nov 2019 10:09

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Stranded

its great to have this option now and delighted we do it - but Stranded does have a point.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Nov 2019 10:26

URZZZZ
paultheroyal
URZZZZ
Supports what Millwall fans are saying. They said that Yiadom ran their left back ragged in the first half and they thought Rafael was dodgy

From the highlights, I know Swift’s free kick hit the crossbar, but to me that wasn’t a good free kick. There was no danger of it going in and considering the position of the kick and the targets (Morrison and Miazga) I think he could have done a lot better with it

It was an excellent free kick, he scored one from similar position last year. You are talking utter bollocks.

You tell me, in the last year, when Swift has scored from a free kick in a similar position to that. And when you’ve done that and found no answers, admit you’re wrong and move on

Too much power on the kick, if you’re going to shoot from there, at least keep it lower and force the goalie into action. That freekick, whilst not being a bad one, was always too high

I look forward to your reply!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6b2jgz6gQ

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Nov 2019 10:37

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Stranded

He actually seemed to damage his shoulder when he fell fairly late in the first half and that is how he's popped it out previously. However, I thought the same about the potential risk from his long throws when watching the highlights later.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Nov 2019 10:46

paultheroyal
URZZZZ
paultheroyal
It was an excellent free kick, he scored one from similar position last year. You are talking utter bollocks.

You tell me, in the last year, when Swift has scored from a free kick in a similar position to that. And when you’ve done that and found no answers, admit you’re wrong and move on

Too much power on the kick, if you’re going to shoot from there, at least keep it lower and force the goalie into action. That freekick, whilst not being a bad one, was always too high

I look forward to your reply!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was waiting for you to show me Swift’s free kick against Brighton (assuming that’s what you’re on about). Three things:

(1) - it was over three years ago. Not last year. As you quoted originally

(2) - his goal was a few yards back against Brighton than his attempt against Millwall. As I said in one of my arguments, his freekick would probably have gone in a few yards back because it was dipping

(3) - he kept his freekick low amongst all the bodies against Brighton (again, another point I alluded to). This created problems for the Brighton goalie who was made to look a fool. Against Millwall, he put too much power onto it. He gave the goalie and their defenders a free ride from a dangerous position

So all in all, no, it wasn’t an excellent freekick and he hasn’t scored a similar freekick here

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Nov 2019 10:48

Urzzzz being proven wrong and then spitting his dummy out klaxon.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Nov 2019 10:49

OldBiscuit
RoyalBlue
Royality creeps In Deserved win against one of the poorest sides I have seen this season.
First half we were excellent with Swift imperious. Rhino in a supporting role and Ejaria surprisingly quieter. (I wonder if they were targeting him giving more room for Swift.)
Great goals by Obita and Baldock and unlucky not to go in 3 or 4 up.

Second half started well until Moore went off injured. For whatever reason we went to Rat Shit and somehow found ourselves hanging on against a pub team :oops:

Still I think under Gomes we may have caved in. So not all bad.

Just a big LOLZ to Millwall fans (Kids) Tell it was half term.
(Not that education is something they have anyway)

Being a pedant, most London Boroughs, including Tower Hamlets, had their half-term a week earlier - so what you saw yesterday was their school term presence.

Except that Millwall football Club isn't in Tower Hamlets, it hasn't been for around about 100 years. I think you'll find that they've been in Lewisham quite a while. It's a bit like saying "Arsenal fans are pathetic but what do you expect as it was half term in Woolwich last week".

OK, accepted, the ground is in Lewisham. But that's like stating that Reading supporters only come from the immediate vicinity of the Mad Stad and surrounds. As I said, 'most London Boroughs', so Lewisham half-term holidays were also a week earlier, Therefore whichever side of the river their school-age support comes from, they would've been on half-term that week.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Nov 2019 10:51

Old Man Andrews Urzzzz being proven wrong and then spitting his dummy out klaxon.

I suggest if you think a freekick Swift scored 38 months ago from a few yards back than it was on Saturday (these few yards make a big difference in football) corresponds to the original post which said “last year”, then you’re talking rubbish. So all in all, I haven’t been proven wrong. That’s my last on the matter so if you want the last word like always, feel free
Last edited by URZZZZ on 04 Nov 2019 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Nov 2019 10:51

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Urzzzz being proven wrong and then spitting his dummy out klaxon.

I suggest if you think a freekick Swift scored 38 months ago from a few yards back than it was on Saturday (these few yards make a big difference in football) doesn’t correspond to the original post which said “last year”. So all in all, I haven’t been proven wrong. That’s my last on the matter so if you want the last word like always, feel free

Would you like some pepper with your salt?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Nov 2019 10:52

RoyalBlue
Stranded
Old Man Andrews No idea what has lead you to that wild conclusion...... :roll:

He actually seemed to damage his shoulder when he fell fairly late in the first half and that is how he's popped it out previously. However, I thought the same about the potential risk from his long throws when watching the highlights later.

Oh yes not saying the throw in's caused the injury but may have weakened the joint further meaning when he fell it popped out when without the additional stress of the throws, he may not have happened.

May have had no effect but unless he is literally the only player with the reach to throw the ball a distance then I would prefer him not to be doing it for the forseeable.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Nov 2019 10:54

URZZZZ
paultheroyal
URZZZZ

Was waiting for you to show me Swift’s free kick against Brighton (assuming that’s what you’re on about). Three things:

(2) - his goal was a few yards back against Brighton than his attempt against Millwall. As I said in one of my arguments, his freekick would probably have gone in a few yards back because it was dipping

(3) - he kept his freekick low amongst all the bodies against Brighton (again, another point I alluded to). This created problems for the Brighton goalie who was made to look a fool. Against Millwall, he put too much power onto it. He gave the goalie and their defenders a free ride from a dangerous position

So all in all, no, it wasn’t an excellent freekick and he hasn’t scored a similar freekick here

All the commentators, I've heard thought that it was an excellent free kick. I don't disagree with them either. IMO it was well worth trying and had as much, if not more, chance of scoring as the alternative approaches suggested. It's possible that the strong wind heading towards that goal made that small difference in terms of lack of sufficient dip. It certainly looked like it made one of his other free kicks taken that half more difficult, as the ball seemed to be carried by the wind and failed to dip.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 04 Nov 2019 10:56

Stranded
RoyalBlue
Stranded

Oh yes not saying the throw in's caused the injury but may have weakened the joint further meaning when he fell it popped out when without the additional stress of the throws, he may not have happened.

May have had no effect but unless he is literally the only player with the reach to throw the ball a distance then I would prefer him not to be doing it for the forseeable.

I'm pretty sure the medics/physios will be expressing the same view (even if he is the only player who can throw that far)!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Nov 2019 11:00

URZZZZ
paultheroyal
URZZZZ

URZZZZ spotted around 11am today....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Nov 2019 11:02

paultheroyal
URZZZZ
paultheroyal

URZZZZ spotted around 11am today....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Classic Urzzz

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Nov 2019 11:04

Between this shambles and the Denver Royal episode, Urzzzz has had a pretty poor week

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Nov 2019 11:05

So just to clarify, most are of the belief that Swift's free kick was unlucky and worth a go but URZZZ thinks that it may have been a better option to play the ball in so that it could be contested? Both pretty valid views especially as Swift didn't score.

The rest of most of the last two pages have then essentially been willy waving?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Nov 2019 11:10

Stranded So just to clarify, most are of the belief that Swift's free kick was unlucky and worth a go but URZZZ thinks that it may have been a better option to play the ball in so that it could be contested? Both pretty valid views especially as Swift didn't score.

The rest of most of the last two pages have then essentially been willy waving?

Most people can’t concede a point to be fair so I’m not surprised. I can see why people thought it was a good freekick. My point was I don’t think it was as good as people are making out. It didn’t even hit the underside of the crossbar and bounce down. It didn’t hit the centre of the crossbar and bounce out. It hit the top and went over. From a close distance. With plenty of options to choose in the box. Now, can someone tell me what’s wrong with what I’ve just argued? Thanks

179 posts