125 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Sean Evers

by Sutekh » 05 Nov 2019 18:39

When : Saturday 9th November, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Luton Town are the next visitors to the Mad Stadium. It’s been a while since Luton last rolled in for a league game, back in 2005, and since then they’ve plummeted right down and out of the FL and then climbed right the way back up again so you can’t say it’s been uneventful for their fans over the last 14 years while they were killing time waiting for a league game with Reading.

As per every other game in this league this is going to be another awkward little number to have to negotiate. Yes Luton are struggling and yes Luton are now below Reading in the table but let’s face it Reading have hardly been setting the world alight and in recent seasons the home form has generally been an abomination with many a perceived relegation struggler popping in to say hello and then leaving with at least a point if not all three.

At least Mr Bowen seems to be steadying and improving the club’s fortunes so far but it is still early days and while things are on the up a little there are still signs that it’s not quite right, as demonstrated by the last half hour against Millwall, so this is one where you should take nothing for granted and hope the club do their homework on the opposition.

Luton arrive on the back of three successive defeats and only 2 wins from their last 9 games but those 2 wins were at Blackburn and a 3-0 stuffing of Bristol City at Kenilworth Road (and they’ve only failed to score in 3 league games) so there are moments of sufficient capability within their squad that will have to be correctly monitored and stifled. James Collins and Harry Cornick are the two that do most damage, each with 5 goals while Kazenga Lualua and Callum McManaman are probably the most threatening of the creative players to watch.

Reading’s injury problems have doubled with doubts over both Liam Moore and Rafael to add to the continued absence of Boye and Joao. MB could go to four at the back or use Blackett or McIntyre to fill in if Moore doesn’t make it while Walker will replace Rafael if necessary.

Finally, being the 9th November, there should be the standard one minute’s silence for Remembrance Day before kick off.

Referee

Andy Woolmer makes a quick return in the hope that he might see some football from the home team

Previously

01 Oct 19 > Reading 1-4 Fulham
19 Jan 19 > Derby County 2-0 Reading
18 Oct 16 > Reading 1-2 Aston Villa
27 Aug 16 > Cardiff City 0-1 Reading
23 Aug 14 > Nottingham Forest 4-0 Reading
08 Apr 14 > Bournemouth 3-1 Reading
29 Oct 11 > Crystal Palace 0-0 Reading
12 Apr 11 > Scunthorpe United 0-2 Reading
15 Apr 10 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
16 Sep 08 > Reading 6-0 Sheffield Wednesday
17 Sep 05 > Reading 1-0 Crewe Alexandra

Historically

Only 22 league seasons have been shared with Luton as although a similar style of provincial club they have spent a couple of lengthy periods circulating in the first and second divisions while Reading were successfully trying to avoid any appearance of ambition.

Of the previous 22 league games played in Reading 13 have been won by the hoops with 5 going the way of the hats.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Sean Evers

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 18:54

Everyone hates Aluko so much you’re discrediting his goal be Derby :wink:

Same team. Same bench. Obita now has the shirt at left back. Blackett in for Moore if unavailable

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Nov 2019 19:07

So if Luton have done their homework all they have to do is get in the refs face and we could be down to 10 men again.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Nov 2019 19:12

A game we really should be winning. It won't be an easy game though. Luton have picked up a couple of decent results on the road so need to ensure we don't underestimate them.

I'd play the same team as last Saturday. Hopefully Moore will be fit to start.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Nov 2019 19:58

Luton have nearly sold out their allocation of 2219. So it should be a decent atmosphere on Saturday. This really is a game we need to be winning.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2019 20:22

oxf*rd Woolmer!!!!!!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2019 22:01

Zip Luton have nearly sold out their allocation of 2219. So it should be a decent atmosphere on Saturday. This really is a game we need to be winning.

It is. But I'm concerned about our lack of ability to get back to back wins

Luton play a narrow 4-4-2 diamond. Obita and Yiadom will need to be on their game as Luton seem susceptible to conceding crosses

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 05 Nov 2019 22:20

thanks

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Nov 2019 09:33

URZZZZ
Zip Luton have nearly sold out their allocation of 2219. So it should be a decent atmosphere on Saturday. This really is a game we need to be winning.

It is. But I'm concerned about our lack of ability to get back to back wins

Luton play a narrow 4-4-2 diamond. Obita and Yiadom will need to be on their game as Luton seem susceptible to conceding crosses

We've won back to back home games - which doesn't happen too often - winning 3 in a row - scarily you have to go back to Stam's first season where we won our last 4 Home league games and then the play-off semi final.

Since then we have managed back to back home wins on only 3 occasions.

boycey

by boycey » 06 Nov 2019 09:38

We should be smashing this rabble if we have any upwards vision.
3-0 . Puscas to get 2 .

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2019 09:42

boycey We should be smashing this rabble if we have any upwards vision.
3-0 . Puscas to get 2 .

Rabble........

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Nov 2019 10:51

think all teams at this stage of the season will give a tough game in the chump, Luton will be no different.

I'm expecting to win, but sure it won't be easy. Keeping a clean sheet would be a big target and I'd expect us to grab a couple of goals with the quality up front

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 06 Nov 2019 12:21

Anyone remember it ?? 1st match at the Madejski stadium versus Luton 22nd August 1998. We won 3-0 with Grant Brebner scoring the 1st goal. A repeat of the scoreline on Saturday would be nice.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Nov 2019 12:54

Royals and Racers Anyone remember it ?? 1st match at the Madejski stadium versus Luton 22nd August 1998. We won 3-0 with Grant Brebner scoring the 1st goal. A repeat of the scoreline on Saturday would be nice.

Yep. Didn't Fleck get one too?

One of only two teams to beat us in the 106 season too. I saw both of them :lol:

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 06 Nov 2019 13:00

Snowflake Royal
Royals and Racers Anyone remember it ?? 1st match at the Madejski stadium versus Luton 22nd August 1998. We won 3-0 with Grant Brebner scoring the 1st goal. A repeat of the scoreline on Saturday would be nice.

One of only two teams to beat us in the 106 season too. I saw both of them :lol:

Fleck got the 3rd and McIntyre the 2nd
the attendance that day was over 18000 which i suppose wasn`t too bad as it was a Div 2 match and was far more than what we got at Elm Park

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Nov 2019 13:57

Royals and Racers
Snowflake Royal

the attendance that day was over 18000 which i suppose wasn`t too bad as it was a Div 2 match and was far more than what we got at Elm Park

Seem to remember Luton fans having a banner then asking where their new ground was. Twenty or so years later and they’re finally going to build one for them about a mile or so from their current ground. Might be ready for next season....

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Nov 2019 14:02

Royals and Racers
Snowflake Royal

Has there ever been as exciting a home debut as Mass Sarr that day? Possibly Puscas.....hopefully this time it works out better.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Nov 2019 14:02

Royals and Racers
Snowflake Royal

Has there ever been as exciting a home debut as Mass Sarr that day? Possibly Puscas.....hopefully this time it works out better.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 06 Nov 2019 14:57

As we are remembering- especially on Sunday 11th, does anyone remember the big staircase by the East stand that went from the upper level to the lower level. if my memory serves me right, the top was somewhere near the jazz cafe. it was a big H & S no no(in hindsight) and didn`t last long !!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Nov 2019 15:10

boycey We should be smashing this rabble if we have any upwards vision.
3-0 . Puscas to get 2 .

Totally agree with this. They don't have any good players. They are dross.

125 posts