FA Cup 19/20

211 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: FA Cup 19/20

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 10:12

Why is it anyone genuinely thinks we have any chance of getting in the playoffs? We aren't ready yet, we need to go for it next season with a couple of decent summer signings on board. The FA Cup should be and needs to be our only priority this season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2020 10:14

Old Man Andrews Why is it anyone genuinely thinks we have any chance of getting in the playoffs? We aren't ready yet, we need to go for it next season with a couple of decent summer signings on board. The FA Cup should be and needs to be our only priority this season.

Any you think we are genuinely in with a chance of winning the FA Cup? Hate to break it to you, but we're not.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 10:15

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Why is it anyone genuinely thinks we have any chance of getting in the playoffs? We aren't ready yet, we need to go for it next season with a couple of decent summer signings on board. The FA Cup should be and needs to be our only priority this season.

Any you think we are genuinely in with a chance of winning the FA Cup? Hate to break it to you, but we're not.

No I think we can get to the quarters or semi finals. Both are huge ocassions and very, very exciting.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 10:19

OMA is clearly looking for bites (again)

There’s quite a small chance we’ll get to the playoffs
There’s very little chance we will win the cup
But, a cup run is always exciting and is just a bit different from the league. If we were right up the top of the league, or in a relegation scrap, I’d say play the second XI but the position were in, the likelihood of us being in this division next year is high, so I just think take the cup more seriously

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 10:20

URZZZZ OMA is clearly looking for bites (again)

But, a cup run is always exciting and is just a bit different from the league. If we were right up the top of the league, or in a relegation scrap, I’d say play the second XI but the position were in, the likelihood of us being in this division next year is high, so I just think take the cup more seriously

How am I looking for bites when you have just agreed completely with what I have said? You need to just accept my opinion is correct and move on.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 10:22

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ OMA is clearly looking for bites (again)

How am I looking for bites when you have just agreed completely with what I have said? You need to just accept my opinion is correct and move on.

Saying there’s “no chance” of the the playoffs

We’re only three game distance apart and if we win today and “the best team in the league” beat Millwall today, the gap is 6 points and two games again. Perfectly feasible. Unlikely but to say the FA Cup should be the only priority is too far

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Jan 2020 10:38

Old Man Andrews
Westwood52 Hmm,not a great draw.

Neither a glamour tie or lower league drop outs,we can easily get past.

On this seasons evidence Sheffield Utd will be very tough.

What is a "lower league drop out" and why would it be easy?

I actually think if we got through it would be a very winnable tie: Sheffield United made several changes and looked very unconvincing against a poor AFC Fylde side at home. Last season they were dumped out at home to Barnet. Perhaps Wilder isn't interested in the Cup...

If I were Bowen I'd put a strong a side out as possible for the replay - there's no excuse for elite athletes being unable to play 4 games in two weeks.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 10:39

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

I actually think if we got through it would be a very winnable tie: Sheffield United made several changes and looked very unconvincing against a poor AFC Fylde side at home. Last season they were dumped out at home to Barnet. Perhaps Wilder isn't interested in the Cup...

If I were Bowen I'd put a strong a side out as possible for the replay - there's no excuse for elite athletes being unable to play 4 games in two weeks.

Yep, well said John.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2020 11:11

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

Not hard to come up with reasons why you wouldn’t expect elite athletes to play that often. If you limit your definition of athletes to footballers then an obvious reason is lack of recovery time of minor knocks that lead to them becoming major knocks, additionally when we have a number of players who are either playing with long term injuries or known to be susceptible to recurring minor injuries then more games means increased risk of those recurring.
If we accept that league games are non negotiable, you play your best side every time, then when we are playing a period of 8 weeks with 2 games in every week bar 1 then your only chance to rest players who need it is the cup.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Jan 2020 11:26

John Smith there's no excuse for elite athletes being unable to play 4 games in two weeks.

Absolutely right, they should... and they all can.

But also absolutely missing the point.

A team of elite athletes who have played 2 games in 2 weeks are more likely to beat a team of elite athletes who have played 4 games in 2 weeks. And less likely to get injured to be able to play in the first place.

Think relative, not absolute.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2020 12:03

2 world wars, 1 world cup
John Smith there's no excuse for elite athletes being unable to play 4 games in two weeks.

Absolutely right, they should... and they all can.

But also absolutely missing the point.

A team of elite athletes who have played 2 games in 2 weeks are more likely to beat a team of elite athletes who have played 4 games in 2 weeks. And less likely to get injured to be able to play in the first place.

Think relative, not absolute.

yep, its a massively oversimplified argument.

Yes of course they can play 4 games in 2 weeks. They could play every day of the week. But......a) their levels of performance will go down, and b) every additional game means more chance of an injury

The Joao injury is an obvious example of an injury quite probably caused by someone playing too many games in too short a space of time

Mentally as well. Getting yourself up to play at your absolute best twice a week for a couple of months is difficult. Undoubtedly players will drop off

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 28 Jan 2020 12:09

Nice to see Reading, and the Simod Cup, getting a mention from David Squires in today's Guardian.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 12:10

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

No I think we can get to the quarters or semi finals. Both are huge ocassions and very, very exciting.

Yawn.

League is key to doing well next season. 8th to 13th is realistic and would make a bigger difference to next season than 14th to 16th and a huge difference compared to 17th - 21st.

Certainly more than a 5th / QF / SF or maybe even Final would IMO. Though the money would certainly be a bonus

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2020 12:14

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Yawn.

League is key to doing well next season. 8th to 13th is realistic and would make a bigger difference to next season than 14th to 16th and a huge difference compared to 17th - 21st.

Certainly more than a 5th / QF / SF or maybe even Final would IMO. Though the money would certainly be a bonus

Were you preemptively yawning about the post you were about to type?

Nothing is key to how we do next season, the play off final season under Stam is clear evidence of that. We finished like 19th the season before it. :roll:

The FA Cup is sacred and of the highest importance.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2020 12:14

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Yawn.

yeah that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 12:25

Just to add that doesn't mean I'm saying we shouldn't take opportunities to progress in the FA cup. But we can do that using first teamers not currently first choice but perfectly capable (like Miazga, Rino, Adam, McCleary etc currently) and a mix of good up and coming players (like McIntyre, Howe, Burley, etc).

It's not about writing one off it's about maximising chances in both without risking harming league form. That's why I think it's fair to say Bowen went a little far by having no first XI on the bench, but that doesn't mean we should just play that first XI

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 12:40

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews No I think we can get to the quarters or semi finals. Both are huge ocassions and very, very exciting.

Yawn.

Were you preemptively yawning about the post you were about to type?

Nothing is key to how we do next season, the play off final season under Stam is clear evidence of that. We finished like 19th the season before it. :roll:

The FA Cup is sacred and of the highest importance.

Just to add to that, we didn’t win any of our last 7 games in that 15/16 season (0-1-6 was the record) so I’m not sure how well you end a season correlates to how well you start the next one

The Championship, in general is just a weird league, you can easily go from 18th from one season to 5th in the next and it’s never really that surprising

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Jan 2020 15:43

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Yawn.

Wow. Snowflake Royal in talking complete and utter bollocks again shocker

boycey

by boycey » 28 Jan 2020 16:15

F that
I'm all in for the FA cup
Decent chance of getting to the QF's here
Going to football is all about the days out, on the sauce, and a QF away at one of the bog boys or local rivals would be hands down the highlight of the season.

We aint making the play offs so lets give it a bash.
Full strength team, for the replay please.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2020 16:19

boycey F that
I'm all in for the FA cup
Decent chance of getting to the QF's here
Going to football is all about the days out, on the sauce, and a QF away at one of the bog boys or local rivals would be hands down the highlight of the season.

We aint making the play offs so lets give it a bash.
Full strength team, for the replay please.

Ok, lets say that Swift gets injured in the replay (he has a patchy history with fitness after all). Our main creative player is then out for the rest of the season, the goals dry up and while we might not make the play-offs, without a creative spark, we could quite easily get dragged into another relegation fight.

And before anyone says "why bother playing him in a league game then?" The league is and should always take priority and is worth the risk to play players who might be suspect to injuries.

211 posts