BFTG Leeds

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTT Leeds

by Franchise FC » 27 Nov 2019 10:35

elrey Well, right now we just played the in form team, Brentford who had 4 wins out of five, and then the team fighting for number one position. To only lose 1-0 to both those teams isn't bad when we were looking at relegation spots a month ago.

But we still lost both.

No point playing well and losing, whoever it's against.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Nov 2019 11:00

they were very decent generally and dominated. we absorbed it all brilliantly, defensively superb, and undone by one quick break from our own attacking play where instead of the attempted cross after the keepers parry, if we had just played back out into midfield to go again we would have kept our shape, not conceded and probs would have got the draw.

really pleased for gunter who was supersolid.

swift and ejaria decent

have to say im impressed with the work bowens done on the defence and team shape/discipline/aggression. hes transformed the team in a very short time. we would have been 3-0 down at half time under gomes.

its made me reconsider the january window though, where i would now very much like to get in another striker, probably funded by loader
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 27 Nov 2019 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Nov 2019 11:06

NewCorkSeth I was really impressed with Leeds. Their fans are saying that was their worst performance and a lot are being quite complimentary to us which is nice. Anyway if that was their worst performance I'm glad they saved it for us!

Bielsa makes Leeds a lot harder to hate. He has them playing very nice football. Very expansive and quick. It's a good thing they dont have a good striker. Imagine someone like Mitrovic at the front of that.

I think the width they manage to play with is very exciting to watch. If Richard's had been on form though I think we would have squeezed a draw out. Not that the goal was his fault mind. Just they found a lot of joy down his flank and obviously looked to exploit that.

I thought Swift and Ejaria looked great again. I know there was some poor passes from Swift in important positions and some ambling about from Ejaria but for the most part they were solid. They made the best midfield in the league look average by comparison.

How do we solve a problem like Puşcaş? I'm really hoping he works out. I really like him and he has lots of positive attributes but his first touch is the worst in the team. Our CBs are better at trapping a ball. He simply cant play with his back to goal as every pass made to his feet bounces off him 10 yards backwards. Joao coming back and pairing with Baldock could save our season. At least he can hold up a ball and pick a pass.

Gunter did well. For once I have no complaints. Good on him.

Overall I still hate Leeds but at least now I respect them.

There’s a player in there. He does well for Romania so how do they play him? I think it’s with a strike partner from what I’ve seen, although he’s more of a finisher than a holder up of the ball. Drifts in and out of games. So more Cureton than Kitson as it were.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Nov 2019 11:16

leon
NewCorkSeth I was really impressed with Leeds. Their fans are saying that was their worst performance and a lot are being quite complimentary to us which is nice. Anyway if that was their worst performance I'm glad they saved it for us!

Bielsa makes Leeds a lot harder to hate. He has them playing very nice football. Very expansive and quick. It's a good thing they dont have a good striker. Imagine someone like Mitrovic at the front of that.

I think the width they manage to play with is very exciting to watch. If Richard's had been on form though I think we would have squeezed a draw out. Not that the goal was his fault mind. Just they found a lot of joy down his flank and obviously looked to exploit that.

I thought Swift and Ejaria looked great again. I know there was some poor passes from Swift in important positions and some ambling about from Ejaria but for the most part they were solid. They made the best midfield in the league look average by comparison.

How do we solve a problem like Puşcaş? I'm really hoping he works out. I really like him and he has lots of positive attributes but his first touch is the worst in the team. Our CBs are better at trapping a ball. He simply cant play with his back to goal as every pass made to his feet bounces off him 10 yards backwards. Joao coming back and pairing with Baldock could save our season. At least he can hold up a ball and pick a pass.

There’s a player in there. He does well for Romania so how do they play him? I think it’s with a strike partner from what I’ve seen, although he’s more of a finisher than a holder up of the ball. Drifts in and out of games. So more Cureton than Kitson as it were.

Think he would work really well with someone like Jason Roberts or Noel Hunt. Someone to hold the ball up and/or provide flick ons.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Nov 2019 11:17

Hendo
leon

Think he would work really well with someone like Jason Roberts or Noel Hunt. Someone to hold the ball up and/or provide flick ons.

Yeah so maybe Baldock?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Nov 2019 11:27

Maneki Neko

its made me reconsider the january window though, where i would now very much like to get in another striker, probably funded by loader

But we have Meite, who knows how to score and has scored some important goals. Puscas who can be very good and has scored some great goals, misses a couple of sitters but is three to miss them and to be fair didn't really get much service against Leeds, Joao who is hit and miss but is a great squad option to have as we've seen him do some good things, and Baldock who is "like a new signing" who has impressed lately. On top of that we have Loader. 2 easy starters and 3 good squad strikers. I don't think we can keep saying srikers are our problem. We just need to work on the service. I'd put my money on a winger or two when we need a plan B. We are massively missing Barrow.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Nov 2019 11:28

leon
Hendo
leon

Yeah so maybe Baldock?

Tbf, I haven't seen Baldock under the new manager yet so hard for me to judge, but if he can do that role, absolutely.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Nov 2019 11:31

I thought it was a masterclass (again) from Hernandez in an outstanding midfield display where he and his fellow midfielders were allowed too much time.
Overall though it is where we are at-a reasonable hard-working Championship side, a skilful midfield but a hopeless set of forwards.

Bowen was honest in his interview afterwards in pointing out that our front two just don't hold the ball up well enough to bring midfielders into play.
Having said that, we played with a 5-man defence rather than 3 plus 2 wing-backs as neither Richards nor Gunter got forward much , meaning that we were outnumbered in midfield so yes a good defensive display but very much helped because of the number of defenders against one striker.

It is worrying that we have spent so much on strikers that, so far, haven't shown enough in Joao and Puscas.
Baldock seems a bit injury-prone and Meite is , well...just Meite.
Loader doesn't seem strong enough.

I feel a bit sorry for Ejaria and Swift as they are on a different level of thinking than our strikers, apart from Baldock now and again.

One final thing, Chris Gunter.
I thought he played defensively much better than we have come to expect and generally had a good game.
Unfortunately for their goal it was an unchallenged header for little Harrison, Gunter's man, and although it was a swift and efficient break on their part we did actually have numbers back.

Still, we probably won't be seeing Leeds again next season especially if they sign a decent striker in January so thanks Leeds fans for turning out in such numbers on a Tuesday night and boosting our revenue by about £60,000 plus the TV money .

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Nov 2019 11:33

leon
Hendo
leon

Yeah so maybe Baldock?

I think Joao can be our man. Capable of playing with back to goal, strong upper body, decent with ball at his feet and, most importantly, provides good link up play.

The question is what do we do about Meite. He isnt cutting in off the bench but hasn't done much to deserve becoming 4th choice. Baldock coming back and playing well has caused a real headache.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Nov 2019 11:37

Victor Meldrew
I thought he played defensively much better than we have come to expect and generally had a good game.
Unfortunately for their goal it was an unchallenged header for little Harrison, Gunter's man, and although it was a swift and efficient break on their part we did actually have numbers back.

In the build up you can very clearly see Morrison point Harrison out to Rinomhota as his man. Andy does his best to get there but doesnt get inside him. Gunter has never been good in the air (we all know he has let many a free header on the far post in his time here) and, as expected, jumped far too early/was aware of the man behind him but for once I dont think it was his fault. It was Rinomhotas man and he just didnt do well enough.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2019 11:52

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

In the build up you can very clearly see Morrison point Harrison out to Rinomhota as his man. Andy does his best to get there but doesnt get inside him. Gunter has never been good in the air (we all know he has let many a free header on the far post in his time here) and, as expected, jumped far too early/was aware of the man behind him but for once I dont think it was his fault. It was Rinomhotas man and he just didnt do well enough.

On the whole, we’re asking Rino to do
a job which isn’t suited to him, he’s not good at enough at blocking off the passing lanes and he’s not disciplined enough to sit and hold. He plays similar to Williams did, but with a bigger brain, yet how many games did Williams play as the holding midfielder? It works against teams like Luton and Millwall who don’t play between the lines but not so much against better teams

It’s a conundrum for Bowen because Rino is clearly a good player but I think Pele has to come in for someone, at least against the better sides in the league

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2019 11:54

NewCorkSeth
leon
Hendo

Yeah so maybe Baldock?

I think Joao can be our man. Capable of playing with back to goal, strong upper body, decent with ball at his feet and, most importantly, provides good link up play.

The question is what do we do about Meite. He isnt cutting in off the bench but hasn't done much to deserve becoming 4th choice. Baldock coming back and playing well has caused a real headache.

Did you see Joao against Blackburn? I hope it was a one off but he could do none of those things you’ve listed. Just threw himself to the floor and his first touch was horrific

Even from the Wednesday forums, it was one good game for every four poor ones. We saw the impact Joao had against Cardiff but we don’t need inconsistencies in our strikers

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Nov 2019 11:54

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

On the whole, we’re asking Rino to do
a job which isn’t suited to him, he’s not good at enough at blocking off the passing lanes and he’s not disciplined enough to sit and hold. He plays similar to Williams did, but with a bigger brain, yet how many games did Williams play as the holding midfielder? It works against teams like Luton and Millwall who don’t play between the lines but not so much against better teams

It’s a conundrum for Bowen because Rino is clearly a good player but I think Pele has to come in for someone, at least against the better sides in the league

Personally have doubts that Pele has the required desire for this league. He switches off a lot. We all know who we need.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Nov 2019 11:57

NewCorkSeth
Victor Meldrew

I have only see it once live but (misleading as photos often are) the one on the BBC website shows Gunter doing his normal turning away from the ball, rather than face it.
The problem with playing a defensive game is that it often needs a perfect display at the back to get something out of a game.

Last night it worked, up to a point, in that we restricted Leeds to few opportunities apart from the one that hit the bar and the goal itself.
At the other end we rarely threatened but we were playing one of the top two or three in the division.

What worries me a little is that some posters see the next few games as those where we WILL pick up points-I hope we do but teams in this division are much of a muchness and there are seldom any easy games.
If we continue playing the way we are set up and with the same personnel (not much choice up front)I think we will have to work really hard in every game to get any points.i

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Nov 2019 12:00

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
leon Yeah so maybe Baldock?

Did you see Joao against Blackburn? I hope it was a one off but he could do none of those things you’ve listed. Just threw himself to the floor and his first touch was horrific

Even from the Wednesday forums, it was one good game for every four poor ones. We saw the impact Joao had against Cardiff but we don’t need inconsistencies in our strikers

I did watch him. He wasnt great but he can do those things I mentioned. 1 game where the majority of our players were very poor does not counter my argument in favour of him.

Besides. None of our strikers are consistent. May as well go for the one who is guarenteed 1 good game in 5 over the ones failing to score easy chances.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Nov 2019 12:07

I quite like Boye as a player but, although he did reasonably well trying to attack when he came on last night, I was really disappointed in his work rate off the ball and tracking back. I thought he displayed by far the lowest work rate of anyone who played for us last night.

Puscas is at risk of being dragged under by the massive price tag around his neck (not helped by the fact that price is always 'bigged up' far higher than we probably paid). Once Dellor starts to act as cheer leader and goes into 'Vydra mode' then life is going to get really difficult for him.

I know Puscas was bought to score goals but he does an awful lot of work off the ball, both attacking and defending. He also makes some really intelligent runs, either to create opportunities for players to pass to him or creating space for team-mates to move into.

In truth, how many chances to score did Puscas get last night? From what I remember, precious few. Meite (and I know he was far cheaper and always works hard) was guilty of missing probably one of the best in the second half last night when the ball broke to him in space inside the area. However, his first touch was appalling, knocking the ball way too far away from his feet and allowing a defender to steal it.

As I saw someone else mention elsewhere, Puscas has come from a league where the football is played at a much slower pace and currently is struggling to adapt to probably one of the fastest paced leagues in the world. When he gets used to that pace I believe we will start to see a real return on our investment.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Nov 2019 12:09

Hound I’m definitely in the ‘we played pretty well crowd’

Bowen got it right imo. Leeds created next to nothing (2 shots on target). The main aim was undoubtedly to keep it tight and hit them with a set piece which we very nearly did. It’s probably how you play Leeds most effectively - all this talk about wingers, getting forward more just opens you up to their counter attacks

Leeds are undoubtedly a very good defensive side (10 conceded all season), have a fantastic CB in White, and know their roles. In saying that Meite and Puscas just don’t offer enough as a pair. Too similar, no chemistry- as someone pointed out don’t think they made a single pass to each other

Miss Baldock very badly, which is bizarre considering where he was. I don’t like any of our forward combos without him at all. Dire recruitment from Gomes and team in the summer bringing in all 3 of Boye, Puscas and Joao who don’t offer much different to Meite. Bowen has to work out how to be effective without Sam

When you refer to dire recruitment from Gomes and team, I would suggest that Bowen was very much part of that team. Might be another reason why he's still backing Puscas to come good.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2019 12:10

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I think Joao can be our man. Capable of playing with back to goal, strong upper body, decent with ball at his feet and, most importantly, provides good link up play.

I did watch him. He wasnt great but he can do those things I mentioned. 1 game where the majority of our players were very poor does not counter my argument in favour of him.

Besides. None of our strikers are consistent. May as well go for the one who is guarenteed 1 good game in 5 over the ones failing to score easy chances.

Baldock is consistent, you always know what you’re gonna get
We don’t know if Boye is consistent because he doesn’t ever play more than once in a row

I still have hopes for Puscas but he needs sub appearances IMO, because it’s clear the situation is getting too much for him right now, take him out the firing line, give him a few games off the bench and see if he can work that way to regain confidence

I don’t think Joao is the answer at all but I hope to be proved wrong

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Nov 2019 12:11

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Baldock is consistent, you always know what you’re gonna get
We don’t know if Boye is consistent because he doesn’t ever play more than once in a row

I still have hopes for Puscas but he needs sub appearances IMO, because it’s clear the situation is getting too much for him right now, take him out the firing line, give him a few games off the bench and see if he can work that way to regain confidence

I don’t think Joao is the answer at all but I hope to be proved wrong

Yep thats right, drop your star striker giving him even less chance to score goals. Great for his confidence..... :| :| :| :| :|

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Nov 2019 12:13

RoyalBlue
Hound I’m definitely in the ‘we played pretty well crowd’

Bowen got it right imo. Leeds created next to nothing (2 shots on target). The main aim was undoubtedly to keep it tight and hit them with a set piece which we very nearly did. It’s probably how you play Leeds most effectively - all this talk about wingers, getting forward more just opens you up to their counter attacks

Leeds are undoubtedly a very good defensive side (10 conceded all season), have a fantastic CB in White, and know their roles. In saying that Meite and Puscas just don’t offer enough as a pair. Too similar, no chemistry- as someone pointed out don’t think they made a single pass to each other

Miss Baldock very badly, which is bizarre considering where he was. I don’t like any of our forward combos without him at all. Dire recruitment from Gomes and team in the summer bringing in all 3 of Boye, Puscas and Joao who don’t offer much different to Meite. Bowen has to work out how to be effective without Sam

When you refer to dire recruitment from Gomes and team, I would suggest that Bowen was very much part of that team. Might be another reason why he's still backing Puscas to come good.

yes Bowen included. I never like to pinpoint one person (ie Gomes, Howe, Bowen) as we have no idea who actually makes the recommendation or decision

Though what we do know is that it was Gomes' choice not to play Baldock, which was a huge failing with the other players we have

I don't think any of the strikers - Boye, Puscas, Meite or Joao are bad players. I just don't see any of them striking up a successful partnership with anyone except Baldock.
Last edited by Hound on 27 Nov 2019 12:14, edited 1 time in total.