Gunter - did Stam make him shit?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gunter - did Stam make him shit?

by URZZZZ » 28 Nov 2019 11:54

Hendo
leon
Hendo
I'll give you another :| for the grow up comment.

Are others not allowed to join the debate? If not, I'd suggest you do it via PM. I wasn't defending URZZZ or anyone to be honest. I just added my thoughts on the Yiadom v Gunter discussion and then my thoughts in GIF format on what followed, which is a oxf*rd shambles from all parties.

You're an odd person.

Well I think my contributions have added greatly to this (admittedly, car crash) thread.

Apologies leon, on review, you can be excused from my "all parties" comment.

To be fair, all I did was say Gunter got the shirt as a result of Yiadom's stupidity and should probably keep it considering he played well...not sure I should be included in the shambles between you three :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Nov 2019 11:55

Hendo
leon
Hendo
I'll give you another :| for the grow up comment.

Are others not allowed to join the debate? If not, I'd suggest you do it via PM. I wasn't defending URZZZ or anyone to be honest. I just added my thoughts on the Yiadom v Gunter discussion and then my thoughts in GIF format on what followed, which is a oxf*rd shambles from all parties.

You're an odd person.

Well I think my contributions have added greatly to this (admittedly, car crash) thread.

You're a good man/woman/them.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Nov 2019 11:56

URZZZZ
Hendo
leon

To be fair, all I did was say Gunter got the shirt as a result of Yiadom's stupidity and should probably keep it considering he played well...not sure I should be included in the shambles between you three :lol:

Exactly, you kept on topic and debated. Everyone else decided to pile in to defend you as if you were incapable.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Nov 2019 11:56

I am taking no responsibility either.

All I said was OMA was acting quite arrogantly by dismissing URZ's opinion out of hand. It's not my fault he acted like a child who has been sent to his room.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Nov 2019 11:58

genome I am taking no responsibility either.

All I said was OMA was acting quite arrogantly by dismissing URZ's opinion out of hand. It's not my fault he acted like a child who has been sent to his room.

You actually caused it all as usual and then tried to wash your hands of it, as you always do.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Nov 2019 12:01

No, I didn't. If you'd acted like an grown man instead of immediately raising the defences then that would've been fine.

You're deflecting, as per. Anyway, I'm done with this now.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Nov 2019 12:16

Old Man Andrews

You actually caused it all as usual and then tried to wash your hands of it, as you always do.

To be fair I started it by calling you out for being needlessly rude. Genome just backed me up.

I think you need to sort out your attitude. There's no room for it on HNA And I say so as someone who generally is on your wavelength and agrees with you on most topics so I'm not anti-you, just anti this ridiculous attitude of needlessly rude comments and need to be rude at someone just because their opinions don't match yours. You've been at it as long as I've known about you and I initially blocked you for it.

This isn't a kids' playground with chavvy spotty losers acting like dicks. This is a discussion forum.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Nov 2019 12:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Old Man Andrews

To be fair I started it by calling you out for being needlessly rude. Genome just backed me up.

I think you need to sort out your attitude. There's no room for it on HNA And I say so as someone who generally is on your wavelength and agrees with you on most topics so I'm not anti-you, just anti this ridiculous attitude of needlessly rude comments and need to be rude at someone just because their opinions don't match yours. You've been at it as long as I've known about you and I initially blocked you for it.

This isn't a kids' playground with chavvy spotty losers acting like dicks. This is a discussion forum.

See Genome, this is how you make a reply to something you disagree with.

Out of deference to you I accept you comments in good grace.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 28 Nov 2019 12:18

leon
Coppells Lost Coat I am still waiting for the debate, i am hoping it will come along after 40 posts about who is more childish :lol:

Gunter should play this Saturday if there is any doubt about Yiadom as he has proved to be an effective replacement.

There is also an argument, that if we wanted a more defensive set up (maybe away to a top 6 side) then he potentially would be the more disciplined right back as he's careful enough not to bomb forward and over commit himself.

Is that better, Victor Mature? :wink:

Its a more balance opinion. He still has a way back from 2 seasons of being average (and that is me being generous)

But did Stams tactics make him a worse RB? The set up he used highlighted his weakness game after game and think he was being way too cautious in his approach to playing out from the back. With his unwillingness to bomb forward, like he did for wales at the time, probably showed that he
A) didn't have faith in the system to work
B) he wasn't good enough
C) didn't trust the players not to lose the ball whilst he was up the pitch

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Nov 2019 12:20

Coppells Lost Coat
leon
Coppells Lost Coat I am still waiting for the debate, i am hoping it will come along after 40 posts about who is more childish :lol:

Gunter should play this Saturday if there is any doubt about Yiadom as he has proved to be an effective replacement.

There is also an argument, that if we wanted a more defensive set up (maybe away to a top 6 side) then he potentially would be the more disciplined right back as he's careful enough not to bomb forward and over commit himself.

Is that better, Victor Mature? :wink:

Its a more balance opinion. He still has a way back from 2 seasons of being average (and that is me being generous)

But did Stams tactics make him a worse RB? The set up he used highlighted his weakness game after game and think he was being way too cautious in his approach to playing out from the back. With his unwillingness to bomb forward, like he did for wales at the time, probably showed that he
A) didn't have faith in the system to work
B) he wasn't good enough
C) didn't trust the players not to lose the ball whilst he was up the pitch

I always found it intriguing how he was a better player at left back rather than right back, IIRC he got three assists one game from left back?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Nov 2019 12:29

Old Man Andrews
Old Man Andrews You actually caused it all as usual and then tried to wash your hands of it, as you always do.

Ok mate, nice one buddy.

Reading till we die!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Nov 2019 12:40

Old Man Andrews
Old Man Andrews You actually caused it all as usual and then tried to wash your hands of it, as you always do.

:lol:

You know exactly what you're doing here.

Anyway, I'm glad he made you see sense. Have a good day.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 28 Nov 2019 12:57

leon Gunter should play this Saturday if there is any doubt about Yiadom as he has proved to be an effective replacement.

Agreed. You could argue that he could also come in at left-back for those tricky games to replace the more attack-minded Richards or Obita.
TBF to Gunter, as muirinho pointed out earlier, he was much less negative with his passing on Tuesday night. Stam, and indeed his 2 successors, probably didn't help him with his detractors.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Nov 2019 13:18

I thought Stam’s season was the best Gunter played for us tbh. But then I’ve never really understood the hatred he inspires.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Nov 2019 13:35

muirinho So he's a really useful squad player. If only he was being paid squad-player wages...
That's not his fault.

Let's assume he is with us until his contract expires, Yes there may be an appearance fee payment of he plays but if he is the best available player to play a particular role then it suits all parties for him to play.... Once his contract expires, maybe if having him in the squad is beneficial to the team the manager may want to keep him and then the club can negotiate a salary that reflects his role. He may be open to a pay reduction - money isn't everything.

I also wonder if Gunter is a player who does what the manager asks and was playing badly under Stam because that's how he was told to play, then maybe the lack of clear instructions from Gomes and his coaches (lost in translation) may have also been a factor?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Nov 2019 13:38

Whore Jackie
leon Gunter should play this Saturday if there is any doubt about Yiadom as he has proved to be an effective replacement.

Agreed. You could argue that he could also come in at left-back for those tricky games to replace the more attack-minded Richards or Obita.
TBF to Gunter, as muirinho pointed out earlier, he was much less negative with his passing on Tuesday night. Stam, and indeed his 2 successors, probably didn't help him with his detractors.

Stam's style of play, in season 2 when teams had worked him out, didn't really suit any of our defence/midfield.

One thing Bowen has said - which I saw a bit of Tuesday (and is something I've criticised Gunter for in the past) is that crosses should be blocked by our full backs. Gunter has always backed away rather than commit himself. Maybe, generally and not specifically to him, playing with 3 centre backs gives the full back licence to close down, knowing the right (or left) side of the 3 can cover if the player gets past.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2019 20:20

What to make of OMA?.
He is responsible for a couple of cracking threads on AE and put a lot of work into them. Great credit due.
Yet he acts like a complete tool at times. This thread being a case in point.
OMA. Do yourself a favour and back out of this thread.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Nov 2019 21:01

Rather than say one is better than the other. Having both gives Gowen options depending on who the opposition is.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2019 08:45

Lower West Rather than say one is better than the other. Having both gives Gowen options depending on who the opposition is.

Plus Howe isn't far away either, I don't think.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 29 Nov 2019 08:46

After that performance I think Gunter should now be the number one. Yiadoms turn to sit on the bench.