BFTG Birmingham

145 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by Hound » 09 Dec 2019 11:07

URZZZZ
Hound Boye also gave away 5 fouls in 45 mins.

He really did stink the place out didn't he?

As a team, we gave away 21 fouls. As I've said before, just a braindead team

I think it really killed us. Very frustrating to watch - and I think the ref (who wasn't great but not terrible) got the brunt of the fans frustration with our own stupidity. It killed our momentum over and over again.

Though without watching again etc, I suspect it was often the result of the other main failing - keep giving the ball away - and then fouling in a desperate attempt to recover

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 11:13

URZZZZ
Hound Boye also gave away 5 fouls in 45 mins.

He really did stink the place out didn't he?

As a team, we gave away 21 fouls. As I've said before, just a braindead team

So nearly 25% of our fould came from 1 player, in 45 minutes + extra time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 11:14

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
He loses it because he tries to be too fancy, he beats two in a mazy run and suddenly thinks he can morph into Ronaldo and inevitably slows the attack down/loses it. I still haven’t forgotten just how poor he was in that Blackburn home game and that’s always in my mind

He has had a couple of good games this season but he’s very much a 1 in 4 player, like the Sheffield fans warned us of, and he’s done nothing to break that mould here so far, which is why I’m sceptical of him

I mean, that's true, he does do that. But so does Boye who you are defending against the same charges. There has been just over 100 minutes difference in time played between them yet Joao you criticise despite scoring 2 and assisting 3 but Boye, with no goals and no assists, just needs more time..

What I mean is Boye needs a consistent run, be it 3 or so starts in a row. He seems to start one, be dropped for two, start one, be dropped for one, start one, be dropped for two etc etc...whereas when Joao got his run, it was pretty much 5/6 starts in a row

Infact when Boye got his best run in the team, he'd only just joined, was still adapting to English football and all that. Whereas Joao has had 4 years of experience in the league so naturally you'd expect him to settle in quicker

I just have no idea what you see in him. To me, it's like defending Sims or Aluko. He needs more time than we have to spare.

I thought his only start was in the league cup?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 11:53

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I mean, that's true, he does do that. But so does Boye who you are defending against the same charges. There has been just over 100 minutes difference in time played between them yet Joao you criticise despite scoring 2 and assisting 3 but Boye, with no goals and no assists, just needs more time..

What I mean is Boye needs a consistent run, be it 3 or so starts in a row. He seems to start one, be dropped for two, start one, be dropped for one, start one, be dropped for two etc etc...whereas when Joao got his run, it was pretty much 5/6 starts in a row

Infact when Boye got his best run in the team, he'd only just joined, was still adapting to English football and all that. Whereas Joao has had 4 years of experience in the league so naturally you'd expect him to settle in quicker

I just have no idea what you see in him. To me, it's like defending Sims or Aluko. He needs more time than we have to spare.

I thought his only start was in the league cup?

I don't really know what I see in him particularly, I just see something. Even in his worst performances, such as at Swansea, I still thought he our biggest threat in the first half. Whereas with Popa and Sims, I couldn't see anything

Guess we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised if you end up correct by the same token. Can imagine him dropping to 5th choice striker now with Baldock and Joao back

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2019 12:02

Sometimes a player can be more than capable, but just not in the right team/system. Sense that with Boye - can't see where I'd fit him in, and he'd be behind the other strikers for me

Always a bit of an odd signing. Not really necessary

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 12:20

Quite possibly that

I wouldn't be particularly against selling Meite and sending Boye back if we can get a taller, but someone with a decent touch to play up front. In the mould of Fletcher for Wednesday. Four natural strikers then

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Dec 2019 12:20

Really poor performance from us with strange tactics at times thrown in.

The only shining light and positive moment was when Charlie Adam came onto the field. 3 key touches and passes within the first 60 seconds of his introduction. Case to be made for him starting, and seeing how much we can get out of him before he tires.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Dec 2019 12:23

Also - that was poor goalkeeping from Raphael. He literally had to just jump to save as he was way over that side, infact you could argue he was to much over. He is not a goalkeeper who seems to be able to dive and fly through the air for those high shots.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Dec 2019 12:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Cabral
Yiadom
Obita
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Pele
Rinomhota
Swift
Baldock
Joao

In the 5-3-2 is my pick of our best XI. Though a 4-3-3 with Miazga and Moore, and Baldock left, Meite right would be decent too.

No Ejaria?

I think him and Swift are a bit too on the attacking side and Swift is delivering more. Plus he'd be an excellent option off the bench to hurt teams if we need it. Plus Joao is similarly twinkle toes up front.

Really tough call though.

tough call for you and thankfully one you are not having to make. In most eyes Ejaria is the first name on the teamsheet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2019 12:57

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
Zip
No Ejaria?

I think him and Swift are a bit too on the attacking side and Swift is delivering more. Plus he'd be an excellent option off the bench to hurt teams if we need it. Plus Joao is similarly twinkle toes up front.

tough call for you and thankfully one you are not having to make. In most eyes Ejaria is the first name on the teamsheet.

Hmm, not sure about that. I think a lot of people would say Swift. And Ejaria is essentially second for me, I just feel we're better off tactically with one AM not 2.

Swift 2 goals, 6 assists, 3.4 key passes a game
Ejaria 3 goals, 2 assists, 1.1 key passes a game

Ejaria just dawdles a little too much for me right now, and Swift has become much more solid and direct. And is delivering.

Both super players currently and with the right right set up and forwards maybe we can afford to both and drop Rino / Pele. Don't think we'd keep many clean sheets though.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 09 Dec 2019 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2019 13:00

paultheroyal Also - that was poor goalkeeping from Raphael. He literally had to just jump to save as he was way over that side, infact you could argue he was to much over. He is not a goalkeeper who seems to be able to dive and fly through the air for those high shots.

He shifted his weight to the left just before the Brum player struck, probably half expecting that is where he would be putting it - as soon as he did he was always going to struggle to get back and more importantly get the spring needed to keep it out. Just a very good free kick.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 13:12

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal I think him and Swift are a bit too on the attacking side and Swift is delivering more. Plus he'd be an excellent option off the bench to hurt teams if we need it. Plus Joao is similarly twinkle toes up front.

Hmm, not sure about that. I think a lot of people would say Swift. And Ejaria is essentially second for me, I just feel we're better off tactically with one AM not 2.

Ejaria just dawdles a little too much for me right now, and Swift has become much more solid and direct. And is delivering.

Both super players currently and with the right right set up and forwards maybe we can afford to both and drop Rino / Pele. Don't think we'd keep many clean sheets though.

Feels weird to see you supporting Swift. Something is off about it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2019 13:14

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

yeah, it's like I base my opinion on how well someone actually plays. Novelty on here obvs. :wink:

TBH, pretty sure I always said that he can fart arse around as much as he wants as long as he creates goals for us and not the opposition.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 13:16

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Hmm, not sure about that. I think a lot of people would say Swift. And Ejaria is essentially second for me, I just feel we're better off tactically with one AM not 2.

yeah, it's like I base my opinion on how well someone actually plays. Novelty on here obvs. :wink:

Haha. It's just the turnaround. You were so far gone on him I didnt think you could pull it back.

Be honest, is there a part of you itching for him to fail so you can go back to bashing him as a fair weather luxury good that is not cut out for this league?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2019 13:21

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Feels weird to see you supporting Swift. Something is off about it.

Haha. It's just the turnaround. You were so far gone on him I didnt think you could pull it back.

Be honest, is there a part of you itching for him to fail so you can go back to bashing him as a fair weather luxury good that is not cut out for this league?

Nope. But if he does, expect the reaction to be spectacular.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 13:21

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal yeah, it's like I base my opinion on how well someone actually plays. Novelty on here obvs. :wink:

Nope. But if he does, expect the reaction to be spectacular.

I am shuddering with antici...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2019 13:23

... pation

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Dec 2019 13:36

Stranded
paultheroyal Also - that was poor goalkeeping from Raphael. He literally had to just jump to save as he was way over that side, infact you could argue he was to much over. He is not a goalkeeper who seems to be able to dive and fly through the air for those high shots.

He shifted his weight to the left just before the Brum player struck, probably half expecting that is where he would be putting it - as soon as he did he was always going to struggle to get back and more importantly get the spring needed to keep it out. Just a very good free kick.

That is how I saw it as well. The little step to the left killed him.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Dec 2019 13:42

he always seems quite short for a keeper (when sat in the stands). Not checked, but assuming he just about comes in around 6'. When the teams walk out he seems shorter than Moore, who's no giant either.

I was saying to RG7 Fan at the game that it feels odd having got rid of Jaakkola for Cabral. Cabral's kicking isn't great, and Jaakkola's would have been fine in this system under Bowen (safety first). I liked Jaakkola as a keeper, thought he was a good shot stopper (weaker on crosses) and thought he was underrated (and he'll be Finland's 3rd choice at next year's Euros). Cabral is starting to feel a bit like Mannone - nothing particularly wrong, but not that good either. You just don't feel like he's making game changing saves on a regular basis like Al Habsi, McCarthy, Feds and the like have historically done.

He's better than Walker and Virginia though.

Back to the game, I think a key moment was when Cowley went off injured to be replaced by Maghoma. For me it totally changed Birmingham's attacking dynamic. Maghoma was always running at defenders, popping up in odd places and then, in the second half, drifting in from the left where McCleary, Meite and Rinomhota consistently left a gaping hole which Yiadom and Morrison had to try to cover. That midfield shape did Morrison no favours as he was always being pulled out of position as the midfield (or what was left of it) weren't tracking runners

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2019 14:08

3points

he always seems quite short for a keeper (when sat in the stands). Not checked, but assuming he just about comes in around 6'. When the teams walk out he seems shorter than Moore, who's no giant either.

I was saying to RG7 Fan at the game that it feels odd having got rid of Jaakkola for Cabral. Cabral's kicking isn't great, and Jaakkola's would have been fine in this system under Bowen (safety first). I liked Jaakkola as a keeper, thought he was a good shot stopper (weaker on crosses) and thought he was underrated (and he'll be Finland's 3rd choice at next year's Euros). Cabral is starting to feel a bit like Mannone - nothing particularly wrong, but not that good either. You just don't feel like he's making game changing saves on a regular basis like Al Habsi, McCarthy, Feds and the like have historically done.

He's better than Walker and Virginia though.

Back to the game, I think a key moment was when Cowley went off injured to be replaced by Maghoma. For me it totally changed Birmingham's attacking dynamic. Maghoma was always running at defenders, popping up in odd places and then, in the second half, drifting in from the left where McCleary, Meite and Rinomhota consistently left a gaping hole which Yiadom and Morrison had to try to cover. That midfield shape did Morrison no favours as he was always being pulled out of position as the midfield (or what was left of it) weren't tracking runners

Agree with a lot of that. Mannone was drifting through my head watching Rafael on Saturday as well.

Agreed on Maghoma as well. The guy he replaced was meant to be one of their danger men, but thought Maghoma made a big difference to them. Looked a good player

145 posts