Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a) sponsored by Simon Osborn

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2019 19:54

When : Wednesday 11th December, 7.45pm
Where : Oakwell, Grove Street, Barnsley, S71 1ET
Capacity 23,009
Away Stand : North Stand
What might I not see in the area : Michael Parkinson

After the pile of festering animal waste matter that manifested against Birmingham, Reading once again find themselves teetering between involvement in yet another relegation battle or moving somewhere into obscurity. This is probably going to be as difficult as it comes as Barnsley are sure to be up for the fight as they’ll see this fixture as about as winnable as they come for a club in their position.

The appointment of Gerhard Struber three games ago has lifted fortunes at the club following a pretty miserable run beforehand. OK that lift is only 1 win and 2 defeats but that is a definite upturn on the no wins in 17 games that they were experiencing prior to his appointment.

One thing to note is that in Barnsley’s last 12 games there has only been 1 clean sheet recorded by any of the teams playing in those games (by Middlesbrough when Barnsley lost 1-0) so there should be an expectation for goals in this one (I’d therefore put money on the 0-0) so Reading will have to offer some creativity alongside fight and spirit all of which have been sadly lacking for the vast majority of the last couple of games.

Cauley Woodrow is the main strike threat with 7 goals in 17 games while Conor Chaplin has chipped in with 4 from 18 so if the management of these two gentleman is successful Barnsley should become a little easier to handle. Failure to do so is asking for trouble as Barnsley are certainly giving a good fight having twice led at Cardiff before losing to a last minute injury time strike on Saturday. In addition their 2 wins so far were both at home, last time out v Hull and v Fulham on the opening day so this is in no way an easy game (even more so when you consider Reading’s utterly appalling record for away midweek league fixtures which has seen only 2 wins in 34 attempts - the positive side to that though is both wins were at teams beginning with the letter B)...

Barnsley are expected to be at full strength while Reading will be missing John Swift (probably out until the trip to Fulham) and sweating over the fitness of Baldock, Obita, Yiadom and Ejaria. Chances are that Yiadom will start (esp. given that Barnsley is his former club so will be definitely anxious to do well) while Baldock should make the bench. Ejaria may also make the starting line up depending on the outcome of the scan on his groin on Sunday. Obita is training again but his involvement will depend on what levels he hits in training.

Lastly, those with Sky subscriptions should be able to follow the game via the red button facility.

Referee

Matthew Donohue is back again for his 3rd Reading game in 4 months - and before this season he’d never been near a Reading fixture. Sadly he has 100% record so far.

Previously

21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

History

Reading away from home to play that oft quoted, proverbial game always thrown up when some mercurial foreign talent arrives from some hotter clime (that took some spelling, damn checker kept converting hotter to hooters), got to be a miserable time to be had by all southern softies surely?

Well no actually, it was like that once but it’s not that bad these days.....

This will be the 35th time league action has occurred between the two teams in South Yorkshire and so far Reading have won 11 of the games compared to Barnsley’s 16. Sadly though fate will now be tempted as the bit Reading have to protect on Wednesday is the fact that since they moved to the Mad Stad they have made this league trip 7 times and obtained 17 points following 5 wins and 2 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel all the way up north
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Red button

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a) sponsored by Simon Osborn

by URZZZZ » 07 Dec 2019 20:12

Can see it being this, injuries permitting:

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Obita

Pele
Rino
Ejaria

Joao
Puscas

Walker Blackett Gunter Adam McCleary Boye/Baldock/Meite (2 from them)

If it was up to me, I’d change back to a 4-2-3-1 formation with Ejaria back/4-4-2 without Ejaria, but doubt we’ll see a change until a few more losses at least

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2019 11:57

Hope to see some players return to fitness, but in the absence of that:

Cabral
Gunter, Miazga, Morrison, Moore, Richards
Rinomhota, Olise, Pele
Meite, Joao

Yes Puscas scored a hattrick the other day, but he's been pretty poor excluding that and he and Meite don't work very well right now. He draws a lot of blanks. Meite had a poor last game but has been much the more threatening player otherwise, and he did score. In fact I think his scoring record is still pretty decent from starts.

Yes, he's scored 15 in 40 starts in the last season and a half, that's a goal every two and a half games. And he's scored in 12 different games. Puscas by comparison has scored a very healthy 6 from 15, but only in 3 matches. Plus we know Meite gets better after a run of starts.

Importantly, Joao creates as well as scores.

Don't think I'd risk Yiadom as he looked to be struggling, and has been quite poor on and off. Richards gets another chance, but needs to perform to retain his place once Obita is fit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2019 13:29

Snowflake Royal Hope to see some players return to fitness, but in the absence of that:

*Cabral
Rinomhota, Olise, Pele
Meite, Joao

Yes Puscas scored a hattrick the other day, but he's been pretty poor excluding that and he and Meite don't work very well right now. He draws a lot of blanks. Meite had a poor last game but has been much the more threatening player otherwise, and he did score. In fact I think his scoring record is still pretty decent from starts.

Yes, he's scored 15 in 40 starts in the last season and a half, that's a goal every two and a half games. And he's scored in 12 different games. Puscas by comparison has scored a very healthy 6 from 15, but only in 3 matches. Plus we know Meite gets better after a run of starts.

Don't think I'd risk Yiadom as he looked to be struggling, and has been quite poor on and off. Richards gets another chance, but needs to perform to retain his place once Obita is fit.

*Rafael

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2019 13:54

Think I’d bring Obita back if possible. Puscas/Meite has to be broken up, poor partnership. Actually thought Puscas did ok on Sat - certainly retained the ball a lot better. Meite just doesn’t seem to blend with anyone much - decent player but in the wrong side/set up

Would probably go Joao/Puscas but realise Meite will be very unhappy with that

Ejaria needs to come back in. Baldock on the bench

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2019 14:37

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal Hope to see some players return to fitness, but in the absence of that:

*Cabral
Rinomhota, Olise, Pele
Meite, Joao

*Rafael

We're not on first name terms.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Dec 2019 17:26

We lost 2-1 at Hull.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Dec 2019 17:34

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

*Cabral
Rinomhota, Olise, Pele
Meite, Joao

*Rafael

Then use both his surnames.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Dec 2019 10:55

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal ...
*Cabral

*Rafael

From Wikipedia

Rafael Cabral Barbosa, known as Rafael Cabral or simply Rafael, is a Brazilian footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Reading

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 09 Dec 2019 12:13

away crowd* predictions?

* - Definition = "a large number of persons gathered closely together"... expect may require use of Roget's

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2019 13:29

SWLR away crowd* predictions?

* - Definition = "a large number of persons gathered closely together"... expect may require use of Roget's

Leo Roget?

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 09 Dec 2019 23:25

thanks bud

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2019 11:12

Looks like Yiadom could be struggling with injury for this one, however after his performance against Leeds, I have no problems with Gunter coming in to replace him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2019 11:39

He seemed to be only about 50% through the match, think he picked up an early knock

Strangely whoscored rated him at 7.6 - the highest score except Pederson for any player who didn’t score/assist. His stats were actually decent

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Dec 2019 11:47

Hound He seemed to be only about 50% through the match, think he picked up an early knock

Strangely whoscored rated him at 7.6 - the highest score except Pederson for any player who didn’t score/assist. His stats were actually decent

As they usually are tbf.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2019 14:28

SWLR away crowd* predictions?

I commend anyone that travels from Reading to Barnsley tomorrow, what an awful fixture at an awful time

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2019 14:30

Hendo Looks like Yiadom could be struggling with injury for this one, however after his performance against Leeds, I have no problems with Gunter coming in to replace him.

Agreed but would like to see Gunter play with more freedom and push up. His performance against Leeds was very good but he didn't push on anywhere near enough. This is a completely different proposition, we need to be on the front foot against dross like Barnsley

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2019 14:32

URZZZZ
Hendo Looks like Yiadom could be struggling with injury for this one, however after his performance against Leeds, I have no problems with Gunter coming in to replace him.

Agreed but would like to see Gunter play with more freedom and push up. His performance against Leeds was very good but he didn't push on anywhere near enough. This is a completely different proposition, we need to be on the front foot against dross like Barnsley

Agreed, I just think the situation called for him to be more cautious agains Leeds, which I was fine with to be honest.

Even away from home (no matter where the team is in the league), I still think he should start cautiously and then go from there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2019 14:36

Hendo
URZZZZ

Agreed, I just think the situation called for him to be more cautious agains Leeds, which I was fine with to be honest.

Even away from home (no matter where the team is in the league), I still think he should start cautiously and then go from there.

Like some have suggested before, I think Gunter plays to the crowd's reactions so he plays a bit more in his shell when fans are getting on his back. We won't have a crowd tomorrow so hopefully he can express himself a bit more

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Dec 2019 16:24

Hound Think I’d bring Obita back if possible. Puscas/Meite has to be broken up, poor partnership. Actually thought Puscas did ok on Sat - certainly retained the ball a lot better. Meite just doesn’t seem to blend with anyone much - decent player but in the wrong side/set up

Would probably go Joao/Puscas but realise Meite will be very unhappy with that

Ejaria needs to come back in. Baldock on the bench

I really struggle to see what Meite brings to the table, yes maybe as a lone striker or on the right in a 4-2-3-1 formation, other than that he brings nothing really. Puscas has to be the no1 striker with either Joao or Baldock for me.
If Meite is unhappy with this then tough.....its about the team not him.

239 posts