BFTG - Derby

187 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Derby

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 09:31

Westwood52
Westwood52 Strange game;at times Derby with ten men looked better than us in the 1st half and then they went mental come 2nd half.At one time they had seven players on the pitch on yellow cards with one off following a straight red.There should also have been another Derby straight red on the 2nd penalty.
Yet only Gunter had a poorish game and there were a couple of very good performances.It seems forever that we are just ten percent off being a really good team.

IMHO
Rafael 6 Solid .couple of regulation saves and one really good one.
Gunte 5 If only he had a bit of self belief.
Blackett 6 One brain fade 2nd half ,but generally good.Unlucky with the yellow.
Moore 9 At his best.
Morrison 6 A very limited player,who believes in safety first ,because he gets caught out when he takes a touch.
Rino 7 Much much better today,seems to have recovered his confidence,up against a really good player in their number 23.
Adam 9 But for a couple of missed passes,would have been ten.Even at his advanced age, makes you realise what a great player he was.However did Blackpool get hold of him.
Ejaria 7 Not at his best today,but still some wonderful bits of play.Over egged it at times however.
Meite 8 The best of Meite today.Suprisingly good penalty.
Jao 7 Just dont know about him,but well taken goal.
Baldock 7 Ran his heart out with some good runs and some great tracking back.Once again however did not quite work for him.

Swiftly Needed the game,poorish start.But got better and better.
Pele Did his job effectively.
Boye Unfortunately did nothing right,there is potentially a good player in there somewhere.

Ref showed his inexperience and lost control at times.Bottled it on the red for the 2nd pen,but fair does on the red so early in the game and the dive by the Derby player.Not helped by his linesmen.

Derby will moan about all the cards,but they were fully justified.

TBF about Gunter .In the first half Adam passed to him out wide twice,and only a very fine athlete would have got to them and put in the crosses.Both times he also took a clattering against the boards.

Yes and he set up Boye in the second half. Generally Yiadom is much more of a threat than Gunter going forward but Gunts is the better passer of the ball

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2019 09:33

Zip
NewCorkSeth Can confirm to you all now that the Derby penalty shout was dealt with superbly by the ref. It is unmistakably a dive. Adam nowhere near touching him.

Fair enough although the ref should have booked him. I was right behind that goal and my immediate reaction was that it was a pen probably as I am glass half empty :D

The ref should have booked who? The diver? He did. It was a very well simulated dive. Amazing the ref didnt buy it.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2019 09:39

Thought we should have scored 5 or 6 yesterday we created some decent opportunities but either let down by a poor final ball or an inability to get a shot off quickly or first time.

Actually quite impressed with Joao as well. Did a lot of good things and did track back a bit at times. Not sure why Gooding have Rafael MotM. Felt like a couple of regulation / camera saves but he must have got a finger to the one where they hit the post in the first half as ref gave the resulting throw to Derby.

Think this team needs to get crosses into the box at every opportunity. That’s where Ovie did himself no favours yesterday. Limited end product. Blackett tried but lacked quality of cross. We were crying out for Obita yesterday as soon as they went down to 10 men.

Gunter’s perennial problem is the way he receives the ball. He’s either too static or needs to get his body shape into the half turn, so his first movement becomes a positive rather than a negative one. He made some good runs but was rarely found, and when he was he tended to take a touch and play the safe backwards or sideways option.

Definitely growing to like Pele too

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2019 09:39

Still enjoyed the game thought it was very entertaining.
Last edited by 3points on 22 Dec 2019 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Dec 2019 09:39

Strange to me some of the criticism the ref got, I think he got the key decisions right, the 2nd penalty the guys behind me seemed livid the defender wasn't sent off like Malone but unlike the first one, I felt the 2nd penalty the defender did make a genuine attempt to win the ball which under the new ruling is a yellow.

To those saying you can't criticise a team on a 3-0 win, absolutely you can, especially against 10 men, the first half was absolutely terrible and we were lucky to maintain our lead into HT. 2nd half was an improvement but they did cut us apart far too easily at times.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Dec 2019 09:56

Cannot believe I have just read suggestions that Ejaria should be on the bench. :shock:

He is the best player I’ve seen in a Reading shirt for years. He won’t do it every single game but if fit it would be ridiculous not to start with him.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Dec 2019 10:22

tidus_mi2 Strange to me some of the criticism the ref got, I think he got the key decisions right, the 2nd penalty the guys behind me seemed livid the defender wasn't sent off like Malone but unlike the first one, I felt the 2nd penalty the defender did make a genuine attempt to win the ball which under the new ruling is a yellow.

To those saying you can't criticise a team on a 3-0 win, absolutely you can, especially against 10 men, the first half was absolutely terrible and we were lucky to maintain our lead into HT. 2nd half was an improvement but they did cut us apart far too easily at times.

Agree as there was a wailing and gnashing of teeth around me too about the defender not being sent off for the second penalty. I don't think many RFC fans are aware of the rule change. Personally thought the ref made all the big decisions right according to the "actual rules" and not the ones many in the crowd seem to "think" apply. And it was good to have a ref who did not bottle the early sending off - which has happened in the past.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 10:25

Tbh thought the second was a red at the time. It didn’t look at the time like there was any real effort to play the ball, and thought it was a Ill disciplined lunge

On highlights can see why he was given the benefit of the doubt, and was probably the right call by the ref.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Dec 2019 10:51

Westwood52

Adam 9 But for a couple of missed passes,would have been ten.Even at his advanced age, makes you realise what a great player he was.However did Blackpool get hold of him.

:shock: :shock:

Shocking passing since the goal and too slow. 6 tops.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Dec 2019 10:55

1- we were shit

2 - ref seemed shit

3 - swift came on and we started being less shit.

But we can't have asked more from the boys in the circumstances (not their fault they were up against 10) but big question marks over how easy it is for teams to carve us open.

Still far from convinced.

My MOM: Meite by a mile.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Dec 2019 10:59

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Westwood52

:shock: :shock:

Shocking passing since the goal and too slow. 6 tops.

Somewhere between the two for me. Some of his forward passing was superb but his corners were awful. Speed is not too much of an issue provided he has CM partners who can pick up the pieces - otherwise we can become overrun in midfield and then left a tad vulnerable at the back as we were at times yesterday.

It is a difficult balance between having payers on the pitch that can create chances or being more defensive like we were against Stoke.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 11:05

Huckleberry Hound
Hound
Mid Sussex Royal
I was in line with it in the East Stand, it looked like Meite was losing control of the ball so whilst it looked a pen, the sending off was very harsh

If it’s a pen it’s a sending off as Malone clearly wasn’t playing the ball

Only if it’s denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity; otherwise every push in the area would be a straight red.

What else do you call a one on one with the keeper?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Dec 2019 11:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup 1- we were shit - a tad harsh after a 3-0 win

2 - ref seemed shit - very harsh. I cannot think of any major decisions he got wrong

3 - swift came on and we started being less shit. - agreed Swift did well

But we can't have asked more from the boys in the circumstances (not their fault they were up against 10) but big question marks over how easy it is for teams to carve us open. - agreed

Still far from convinced. - agree to some extent

My MOM: Meite by a mile. - absolutely agree

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 22 Dec 2019 11:11

I agree with first poster on here.

We were lucky to be honest and 3 nil flattered us. I'll go through each half and then do player ratings.

1st Half
When I saw the line up for us I was shocked at how little defensive cover and mobility we had in the middle. We started brightly and João setup Meite for the pen. Meite fluffed his touch, keeper closed him down and the Derby defender stupidily dived in. The Derby defender would have been better off trusting his keeper. The red card was very harsh. I'm sure you all know that it is not compulsory to send off a player if he is the last man and he commits a foul. We scored the pen and Derby immediately came at us. They hit the post, they attacked at will through the middle and mainly down Gunter's side. Rino had absolutely little help from Adam and Ejaria in the middle. Rino was trying to fill in the gaps down each of our flanks as well do his job in the middle. Had Derby had better finishing we could have been back level again very easily. Raphael made a great save to deny Derby and a couple of good ones too. We did come back at Derby a little bit but our final ball into the box was awful. You could not tell that Derby had 10men the way they were playing.

2nd half
We started a little better and scored a second that pretty much killed off Derby. They still came at us and managed to hit the cross bar though. That was twice in the game we switched off after scoring. Derby then went into meltdown with silly fouls, discipline issues and were probably knackered with the disadvantage in numbers. We got another pen that I actually thought was more nailed on than the first one to be honest. Our final ball was again not great and I wish we would shoot more when we get to the box!

Ratings

Raphael 8 kept a clean sheet and made a couple of great saves.

Gunter 4 - Shite
Moore 7 - One great block second half. good in general. Didn't have much cover in front from midfield. Caught ball watching second half when Derby missed a chance that was easier to score.
Morro 7 - Pretty much the same as above in general.

Blackett 5 - exposed a couple times. Got forward well but his final ball could have been much better. I don't think I saw him make a tackle! Silly yellow card. He didn't need to get involved.

Rino 7 - touch and passing was a little off but he did all the other stuff well. I Hate seeing him play as a DM as he is better as a box to box player. Had no help from Adam and Ejaria with the defensive work.

Adam 9 - Man of the Match. Doesn't move around much but he doesn't need to. Great distribution, kept things ticking over and ghosted passed some Derby players at snails pace which made me chuckle.

Meite 8 - Some great moments and worked hard. The foul on him for the 1st pen was more because of his bad touch and poor composure. But who cares right?! Great penalty for the final goal.

Ejaria 6 - wasn't in the game as much but when he was he looked class. loved it in the second half when he was trying to show off, fluffed it and still somehow drew a foul. Then walked away from the chaos as if nothing happened while everyone else kicked off. Lol.

João 5 - So frustrating. Some class flicks, some shite ones. Poor decision making. But still scores.

Baldock 6. Ran a lot. I think he got 1 shot off.

Subs
Boye 5. Why the hell did he not shoot when he was in on goal! Runs a lot, gets in good positions but his decision making and finishing is woeful.

Swift 6 - Some classy moments and a couple of complacent ones too.
Pele 6 - Offered a bit more steel.

Weird 3 nil. I don't think we played well enough as the score suggests and the red card should have been a yellow. We need to shoot more and our final ball needs to be much better. A better team would have scored the chances Derby had today.

Good to see Charlie Adam at his best!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 11:12

windermereROYAL
Westwood52
Westwood52

Just had a look .Have they changed the rules ? Last man and all that.If they have you are correct.

Yes the rules are if the last defender is judged to have tried to win the ball then it`s a yellow, the red was a blatant push in the back with no attempt to play the ball.
This rule was bought in because teams were often being punished twice with a red and a penalty awarded.

I like the new rule, but this punished twice thing is a bit bollocks.

In most cases, the attacking team were denied a clear goalscoring opportunity so they're given a replacement as compensation. The defending team's punishment is to play with 10 or have a player on a yellow.

Otherwise if it's just a penalty there's no downside to committing the foul, one clear opportunity exchanged for another, assuming you get caught.

The new system is good not because it stops you getting punished twice, but because it prevents you being excessively punished for a legitimate, but poorly executed, attempt to play within the laws.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Dec 2019 11:13

My only criticism of the ref was I think there were a couple of instances when a player already on a yellow made challenges etc which I felt would have been a yellow but didn’t feel the ref wanted to send a second player off. But it was touch and go

Couldn’t believe how many fouls Derby gave away. They weren’t even marginal. And it wound up their fans no end :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 11:23

Ranty McRantface I agree with first poster on here.

We were lucky to be honest and 3 nil flattered us. I'll go through each half and then do player ratings.

1st Half
When I saw the line up for us I was shocked at how little defensive cover and mobility we had in the middle. We started brightly and João setup Meite for the pen. Meite fluffed his touch, keeper closed him down and the Derby defender stupidily dived in. The Derby defender would have been better off trusting his keeper. The red card was very harsh. I'm sure you all know that it is not compulsory to send off a player if he is the last man and he commits a foul. We scored the pen and Derby immediately came at us. They hit the post, they attacked at will through the middle and mainly down Gunter's side. Rino had absolutely little help from Adam and Ejaria in the middle. Rino was trying to fill in the gaps down each of our flanks as well do his job in the middle. Had Derby had better finishing we could have been back level again very easily. Raphael made a great save to deny Derby and a couple of good ones too. We did come back at Derby a little bit but our final ball into the box was awful. You could not tell that Derby had 10men the way they were playing.

2nd half
We started a little better and scored a second that pretty much killed off Derby. They still came at us and managed to hit the cross bar though. That was twice in the game we switched off after scoring. Derby then went into meltdown with silly fouls, discipline issues and were probably knackered with the disadvantage in numbers. We got another pen that I actually thought was more nailed on than the first one to be honest. Our final ball was again not great and I wish we would shoot more when we get to the box!

Ratings

Raphael 8 kept a clean sheet and made a couple of great saves.

Gunter 4 - Shite
Moore 7 - One great block second half. good in general. Didn't have much cover in front from midfield. Caught ball watching second half when Derby missed a chance that was easier to score.
Morro 7 - Pretty much the same as above in general.

Blackett 5 - exposed a couple times. Got forward well but his final ball could have been much better. I don't think I saw him make a tackle! Silly yellow card. He didn't need to get involved.

Rino 7 - touch and passing was a little off but he did all the other stuff well. I Hate seeing him play as a DM as he is better as a box to box player. Had no help from Adam and Ejaria with the defensive work.

Adam 9 - Man of the Match. Doesn't move around much but he doesn't need to. Great distribution, kept things ticking over and ghosted passed some Derby players at snails pace which made me chuckle.

Meite 8 - Some great moments and worked hard. The foul on him for the 1st pen was more because of his bad touch and poor composure. But who cares right?! Great penalty for the final goal.

Ejaria 6 - wasn't in the game as much but when he was he looked class. loved it in the second half when he was trying to show off, fluffed it and still somehow drew a foul. Then walked away from the chaos as if nothing happened while everyone else kicked off. Lol.

João 5 - So frustrating. Some class flicks, some shite ones. Poor decision making. But still scores.

Baldock 6. Ran a lot. I think he got 1 shot off.

Subs
Boye 5. Why the hell did he not shoot when he was in on goal! Runs a lot, gets in good positions but his decision making and finishing is woeful.

Swift 6 - Some classy moments and a couple of complacent ones too.
Pele 6 - Offered a bit more steel.

Weird 3 nil. I don't think we played well enough as the score suggests and the red card should have been a yellow. We need to shoot more and our final ball needs to be much better. A better team would have scored the chances Derby had today.

Good to see Charlie Adam at his best!

I know it’s all down to opinions and that, and this has already been pointed out but Joao as a 5?

Too lazy for my liking, but he played a good through ball for Meite for goal 1, finished off goal 2, won the third penalty and linked up with Baldock well at times, I think people are being influenced by their prior thoughts of
him here

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 11:26

Royal Rother Cannot believe I have just read suggestions that Ejaria should be on the bench. :shock:

He is the best player I’ve seen in a Reading shirt for years. He won’t do it every single game but if fit it would be ridiculous not to start with him.

The problem is he doesn't do it most games.

Ejaria has 3 goals and 2 assists in 1564 mins with 1.5 shots per game and 1.2 key passes

Swift has 2 goals and 7 assists in 1396 mins with 1.5 shots per game and 3.3 key passes

It's no coincidence we've struggled for goals without Swift. Ejaria looks incredibly skillful, but too often that amazing skill ends in nothing. Similar to Swift in previous seasons he needs to be less fancy and focus more on taking or engineering the chance to shoot / cross / pass sooner. He delays so much beating 3 men that no one on his team knows when or where the final ball will come.

Against the more toothless sides then yes he should start, or if we start playing really well as a team and dominating. But against the better teams and whilst we still haven't quite found our form he's, IMO, better used as a last 20-30 deadly weapon so we can get to that point in a more comfortable position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 11:30

Ejaria did play the through ball for the third goal and think he set up a couple of other decent chances as well, but agree must be more of an end product from him

Bizarre anyone rating Joao a 5. All our 3 goals/pens were either scored or assisted by him, the first and third were superb bits of play

Didn’t get everything right and areas to improve but c’mon....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 11:37

Hound Ejaria did play the through ball for the third goal and think he set up a couple of other decent chances as well, but agree must be more of an end product from him

Bizarre anyone rating Joao a 5. All our 3 goals/pens were either scored or assisted by him, the first and third were superb bits of play

Didn’t get everything right and areas to improve but c’mon....

I was frustrated with him because when my stream was occasionally working first half I saw some of the poor side of his game and none of the good.

Having seen the highlights, as you say he's involved in all the goals, and for a 3-0 win, you've got to say lazy don't matter if you produce. And he did.

Bowen has a real conundrum drum IMO.
4 good midfielders but he has to choose 2 or 3.
3 good centrebacks when Miazga is back and if he chooses 3 he's got to drop a striker or midfielder
3 good strikers in Joao, Meite scoring and Baldock seemingly the glue that makes the attack hold together.
3 good left backs
When Yiadom is back 2 good right backs

And none of it quite stacking up into a true team regularly, certainly without leaving out at least 1 or 2 good players who deserve to start.

187 posts