BFTG - Preston (a)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Preston (a)

by leon » 30 Dec 2019 12:04

Disagree totally.

Next they’ll be wearing dungarees and a bobble hat. Got to stop the rot now.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Dec 2019 12:14

leon Disagree totally.

Think the kit manufacturers have missed a trick not producing the onesie football kit thus far. Would like to see us embrace it next season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 12:16

leon Disagree totally.

I'm totally down for dungarees.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 12:45

From my own experience long sleeves don’t make the slightest bit of difference to how cold I feel. My hands just get colder and colder even if it actually isn’t that cold and it puts me off

I’m sure everyone had different experiences of it, but I’d be a short sleeve/glove man and do when I run races in the cold

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 13:06

Just listening to Bowen’s interview

He’s genuinely the first manager for a while I enjoy listening to. Rather than just bland cliches he does give a bit of insight into what the plans were etc

The stuff about just keeping positions and ‘enjoying defending’ are quite interesting imo

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Dec 2019 14:04

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Norfolk Royal
Correct. Hats, gloves, and thick socks will keep you warm no matter what else you're wearing.

Players wearing gloves is one of those bizarre things that people get upset about

I hate having cold hands playing sport personally. Why be uncomfortable when it can be easily remedied. Wear wtf you like as long as you play well

Agreed, although when I play my hands are only cold in the first 10 minutes, so it seems a bit odd that they need it... but whatever.

Is that because they're so cold they're numb after 10 minutes? :D

Showed my daughter a pic of Reading's first kit yesterday (see tweet below - I'm useless at technology so I dont' know how to put a picture in the post) - and she was very taken with the hooped hats some of them were wearing. Maybe we could be trendsetters with the wooly hats, gloves and short-sleeve shirt combo?
https://twitter.com/ReadingPast/status/ ... 56/photo/1

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 14:23

Hound Just listening to Bowen’s interview

He’s genuinely the first manager for a while I enjoy listening to. Rather than just bland cliches he does give a bit of insight into what the plans were etc

The stuff about just keeping positions and ‘enjoying defending’ are quite interesting imo

I am loving the "enjoying defending" attitude we have right now. Suits Morrison and Moore so much. 2 battling CBs pouring every bit of grit and determination they can muster to keep a clean sheet. If I was a Birmingham fan I would be wondering who at the club thought Morrison was only worth a 1 year deal.

The thing is, with Swift and Adam, we can turn defence to attack so much faster than a lot of teams. Bowen has nailed our problem (tbf a lot of us on here saw it too) of winning second balls. That has transformed our ability to win games. Defending like our lives are on the line but failing to win the clearances in midfield was leaving us open to errors. Pele, Rinomhota and (surprisingly) Adam have added mich needed grit to help us establish ourselves on the pitch.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Dec 2019 14:31

NewCorkSeth

I am loving the "enjoying defending" attitude we have right now. Suits Morrison and Moore so much. 2 battling CBs pouring every bit of grit and determination they can muster to keep a clean sheet. If I was a Birmingham fan I would be wondering who at the club thought Morrison was only worth a 1 year deal.

The thing is, with Swift and Adam, we can turn defence to attack so much faster than a lot of teams. Bowen has nailed our problem (tbf a lot of us on here saw it too) of winning second balls. That has transformed our ability to win games. Defending like our lives are on the line but failing to win the clearances in midfield was leaving us open to errors. Pele, Rinomhota and (surprisingly) Adam have added mich needed grit to help us establish ourselves on the pitch.

We were also very poor in transition phases. While it was pretty obvious on the offence side of the game, what killed us in many games was the transition from attack to defence. Yes, we got caught with wing backs or full backs too high up the pitch, but it starts from all the attackers busting their balls to get a ball back.

I also don’t think it is a coincidence that we’ve been better defensively with Ovie playing in the left of midfield either. He has a phenomenal work rate, tracks back well and provides excellent cover for the full back (currently Blackett). You could see this last season too. His reading of the game is very good and understands what he neeeds t do and where he needs to be defensively on the pitch. I think Obita will be a useful player as led midfield if Ovie is injured or moved into a more central position.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 14:34

3points
NewCorkSeth

We were also very poor in transition phases. While it was pretty obvious on the offence side of the game, what killed us in many games was the transition from attack to defence. Yes, we got caught with wing backs or full backs too high up the pitch, but it starts from all the attackers busting their balls to get a ball back.

I also don’t think it is a coincidence that we’ve been better defensively with Ovie playing in the left of midfield either. He has a phenomenal work rate, tracks back well and provides excellent cover for the full back (currently Blackett). You could see this last season too. His reading of the game is very good and understands what he neeeds t do and where he needs to be defensively on the pitch. I think Obita will be a useful player as led midfield if Ovie is injured or moved into a more central position.

Reckon using Obita or Richards as a left mid when we next play Hull would be sensible. Got to stop Bowen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 15:28

Mentioned it elsewhere but wouldn’t be surprised to see Yiadom/Obita or Richards playing wide midfield at times this season in front of Blackett/Gunter

Wouldn’t be totally against it depending on the opposition and state of the game

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 15:33

And I can’t stop watching that Adam pass in the build up to the first goal. Such a beautiful thing :)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2019 16:39

I would have been disappointed if our keeper had let in either of the goals Rudd conceded, both very close to him and savable, he`s sure been good to us after gifting us the last minute winner down here too.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Dec 2019 17:28

windermereROYAL I would have been disappointed if our keeper had let in either of the goals Rudd conceded, both very close to him and savable, he`s sure been good to us after gifting us the last minute winner down here too.

PNE fans don’t rate him at all looking at their forums. Can’t say I’d disagree

Still amazes me that Jaakola is plying his trade in League 1. Better keeper than many in the Championship

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 30 Dec 2019 17:47

What worries me about the outfit conundrum is the lack of elegance on show. Personally, I would have no problem if the players wore blue and white striped plus fours and a decent pair of brogues. It would show young people the importance of sartorial appearance in respecting oneself and others.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 17:48

3points
windermereROYAL I would have been disappointed if our keeper had let in either of the goals Rudd conceded, both very close to him and savable, he`s sure been good to us after gifting us the last minute winner down here too.

Still amazes me that Jaakola is plying his trade in League 1. Better keeper than many in the Championship

I imagine Bowen would have quite liked him. Certainly a better back up than Walker from what I’ve seen

Still needed to trim some fat from the squad and he was ooc

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 17:52

3points

Jaakola has just found his level. Dont forget his distribution was comparable with Virginia's shot stopping.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Dec 2019 19:23

Hound And I can’t stop watching that Adam pass in the build up to the first goal. Such a beautiful thing :)

It was the sort of goal we see Man City make look routine in the PL. A thing of beauty.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 19:29

NewCorkSeth
3points

Jaakola has just found his level. Dont forget his distribution was comparable with Virginia's shot stopping.

His kicking wasn't great, but once you stop putting him under stupid unnecessary pressure, the way Bowen has, his distribution wasn't awful. Better keeper than Virginia (not hard) or Walker.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Dec 2019 20:34

Snowball Is Swift's goal (a team goal) today, the best goal of our season?

It has a lot going for it.

Win ball in defence
Break
Adam dribbling "at speed" at least half the pitch-length
Neat lay-off (to Ejaria?)
Adam drops back to receive return
Great run by Blackett
Superb through ball from Adam
Great cut-back by Blackett
The absolute coolest of finishes by Swift

If that was in the Pram the pundits would be creaming themselves.

Exactly what I thought. Bloody brilliant.

Adam's second ball to Blackett was just sublime. His mind works ten steps ahead.

Special mention for Blackett and goal two though. He cut through the midfield like a hot knife through butter. Phenomenal.
Last edited by Millsy on 30 Dec 2019 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Dec 2019 20:36

Big question of the day:

Did Charlie Adam sing for The Communards?