BFTG - Preston (a)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Preston (a)

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Dec 2019 20:33

Perfect away performance.

Two great counter attacking goals in the first half, and should've had a third which didn't look offside to me.

Second half saw a brilliant save from Rafael from long range and some solid defending by Moore and Morrison. We gave Preston the ball, and did what we needed to do.

Adam and Swift superb, as were the back five.

Big up Gunter and Blackett who have come in recently and are arguably putting in their best performances for us.

Good subs at the right time.

Only moan is that they didn't take card in the ground, the fcuking savages.

oldebiscuit

Re: BFTG - Preston (a)

by oldebiscuit » 29 Dec 2019 22:11

Pepe the Horseman Perfect away performance.

Two great counter attacking goals in the first half, and should've had a third which didn't look offside to me.

Second half saw a brilliant save from Rafael from long range and some solid defending by Moore and Morrison. We gave Preston the ball, and did what we needed to do.

Big up Gunter and Blackett who have come in recently and are arguably putting in their best performances for us.

That’s interesting as I find it difficult to spend cash these days, but when you consider things, these guys were actually still wearing clogs 50 years ago it makes sense.
The inhabitants of this part of the world will always be years behind us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Dec 2019 22:27

Love you xx

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Dec 2019 23:13

Pepe the Horseman , and should've had a third which didn't look offside to me.

It was offside . i froze framed it on quest tonight. quite close but defo off.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Dec 2019 23:25

Unrelated, but I notice Blackett and Ejaria are wearing short sleeve shirts and gloves. As J Low said, I just don’t get that

Fantastic away win though. Get something at Fulham and it makes the two games against Forest massive if we want to sneak into the top 6

That first goal is very impressive too. Good pass from Adam, good movement and pass from Blackett and cool finish from Swift. Beyond belief how much we’ve missed Swift

Pretty impressive record of only losing 4 away games too this season. And none by more than one goal. Up and up we go hopefully

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Dec 2019 23:31

Is Swift's goal (a team goal) today, the best goal of our season?

It has a lot going for it.

Win ball in defence
Break
Adam dribbling "at speed" at least half the pitch-length
Neat lay-off (to Ejaria?)
Adam drops back to receive return
Great run by Blackett
Superb through ball from Adam
Great cut-back by Blackett
The absolute coolest of finishes by Swift

If that was in the Pram the pundits would be creaming themselves.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Dec 2019 00:11

URZZZZ Unrelated, but I notice Blackett and Ejaria are wearing short sleeve shirts and gloves. As J Low said, I just don’t get that.

It’s quite simple and logical. The extremities of the body are affected more by the cold. Watch cross country or road runners in the winter and you will see numerous athletes running in sleeveless singlets but wearing gloves.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Dec 2019 00:28

Rafael also wears short sleeved tops (obvs gloves too)

Some players just prefer them I guess

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2019 00:44

NewCorkSeth

Love you xx

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Dec 2019 05:29

RoyalBlue
URZZZZ Unrelated, but I notice Blackett and Ejaria are wearing short sleeve shirts and gloves. As J Low said, I just don’t get that.

It’s quite simple and logical. The extremities of the body are affected more by the cold. Watch cross country or road runners in the winter and you will see numerous athletes running in sleeveless singlets but wearing gloves.

Sonko used to do it as well.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Dec 2019 07:59

Brilliant display, really showed "Johnno" from New Zealand "how football should really be played".

Rafael - Three great saves. Although i haven't been on the forum to check so don't know if they've been approved as great by Ian Royal yet. 7

Gunter- Decent performance, still a bit slow to overlap at times and one moment where he looped the ball up in the air in our own box. Other than that defended well. 7

Morrison - Back to his best after a slight dip. Brilliant tackle to prevent what looked like a certain PNE Goal. Won everything that was thrown at him. 8

Moore - Proper Captain's performance. Challenges, blocks won his headers and brought the ball out from the back well. 9 MotM

Blackett - Some dodgy defensive switch off moments, passing straight to PNE in a couple of dangerous positions but two excellent assists, especially for the second goal with the way he started the move. 7

Judilson Gomes - Broke up the play well. Went on a couple of runs forward as well, although seemed to be a bit confused what to do at the end of them. 7

Adam - The Scottish Pirlo produced a great pass for the first goal after a run many, including Preston, probably didn't think he had in him and produced quite a few other decent passes as well. 7

Swift - Took his goal brilliantly. One great pass out to the left hand side that sent almost the entire Preston team the wrong way. Back to that form he had in his first season before he got injured playing for England under 21's. 8

Meite - Won his headers well. Worked hard as usual and was as a nuisance to their defence. 7

Ejaria - Involved in the build up to the first goal. Excellent shot for the disallowed goal. A quiet game for him but a couple of nice moments as always. Could have done better on one occasion when it looked like we could break away for another goal. 7

Joao - Took his goal well. One complaint I had was we couldn't relieve pressure because he didn't win a header pretty much all afternoon. For a big guy he needs to make himself more of a presence in the air. 7

Subs:

McCleary - Couple of decent runs. Did his work well defensively. 6

Rinomhota - Defended well. Miss those driving runs though. 6

Obita - Sound defending to help us close out the game. 7

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 09:34

Did Obita go left mid or did he go left back with Blackett going LCB?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 09:37

Hound Did Obita go left mid or did he go left back with Blackett going LCB?

It looked like he went left back but McCleary swapped out to right mid with Ejaria going central so I think he was supposed to be a left mid.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 30 Dec 2019 09:51

oldebiscuit

That’s interesting as I find it difficult to spend cash these days, but when you consider things, these guys were actually still wearing clogs 50 years ago it makes sense.
The inhabitants of this part of the world will always be years behind us.

Do you mind? I'm, an inhabitant of this part of the world. In fact I live even further north. Don't be jealous just because you rarely get to see the beautiful Lake District. We might not be the M4 corridor but we do have electricity and running water believe it or not. :wink:

As for the game, it was great to see such a solid defensive performance. You could say it was the perfect away match plan executed with the utmost of precision. Let them have plenty of the ball in areas they can't hurt us. Stay solid and keep our shape. Everyone knows their job and where possible, hit them on the break. In the first half, every time we attacked it looked like we would score.

I felt the whole team did an amazing job and deserve an 8 out of 10 with additional mentions to Moore, Rafael and Swift. That blind pass by swift when he sent the whole PNE team the wrong way was just unbelievable. To swivel 180 degrees, not look and pass a ball 40 yards to the feet of a team mate... :shock:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Dec 2019 09:54

RoyalBlue

Correct. Hats, gloves, and thick socks will keep you warm no matter what else you're wearing.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 30 Dec 2019 10:13

royalp-we Rafael also wears short sleeved tops (obvs gloves too)

Some players just prefer them I guess

Big question of the day: Does Rafael have his shirts altered by the same lady who did Emi Martinez's shirts (the one he went into the crowd to give flowers to on the final day of last season), or do Macron produce shorted sleeved goalkeeping jerseys?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Dec 2019 10:15

morganb
Big question of the day: Does Rafael have his shirts altered by the same lady who did Emi Martinez's shirts (the one he went into the crowd to give flowers to on the final day of last season), or do Macron produce shorted sleeved goalkeeping jerseys?

This is vital information.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 11:15

Norfolk Royal
RoyalBlue

Correct. Hats, gloves, and thick socks will keep you warm no matter what else you're wearing.

Players wearing gloves is one of those bizarre things that people get upset about

I hate having cold hands playing sport personally. Why be uncomfortable when it can be easily remedied. Wear wtf you like as long as you play well

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 11:41

Hound
Norfolk Royal
RoyalBlue

Players wearing gloves is one of those bizarre things that people get upset about

I hate having cold hands playing sport personally. Why be uncomfortable when it can be easily remedied. Wear wtf you like as long as you play well

Dint get the criticism either. It's not like they are wearing a scarf. They don't use their hands so they're bound to get cold. The long sleeve argument doesnt make sense to me either. Long sleeves dont make your fingers warm.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 11:45

Hound
Norfolk Royal
RoyalBlue

Agreed, although when I play my hands are only cold in the first 10 minutes, so it seems a bit odd that they need it... but whatever.