Upset the Apple cart.

101 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Upset the Apple cart.

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Dec 2019 21:25

Gunter and blackett, Moore and Morrison, Meite and João. It’s working. Not necessarily the best players make the best ‘team’. Bowen is going to have some tough choices going forward. When fit, do Yiadom Miazga Baldock Puscas Richards and Obita come back in? Or do you not upset the Apple cart and stick with the players that have got us on this great little run? I hope he doesn’t go back to the back 5 just to accommodate Miazga. 442 is working.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Upset the Apple cart.

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2019 21:31

Well Miazaga has been on the bench for the last couple of games so clearly there is no ‘get him in at all costs’ from Bowen.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Dec 2019 21:35

Yiadom is the only one I'd send straight back in; a pure like for like upgrade on Gunter. Otherwise, the system is working so stick with it. There will be injuries etc. The players you mention will get chances, but for now they must be patient while the team is winning.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Dec 2019 21:45

WoodleyRoyal Gunter and blackett, Moore and Morrison, Meite and João. It’s working. Not necessarily the best players make the best ‘team’. Bowen is going to have some tough choices going forward. When fit, do Yiadom Miazga Baldock Puscas Richards and Obita come back in? Or do you not upset the Apple cart and stick with the players that have got us on this great little run? I hope he doesn’t go back to the back 5 just to accommodate Miazga. 442 is working.

Only a few games ago, people were saying negative things about those players - it’s all about form. It won’t be long before some poor performances again so those other players will get their chance soon

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Dec 2019 21:50

WestYorksRoyal Yiadom is the only one I'd send straight back in; a pure like for like upgrade on Gunter. Otherwise, the system is working so stick with it. There will be injuries etc. The players you mention will get chances, but for now they must be patient while the team is winning.

No one should be changed IMO

Begs the question if he changes it around after 4 clean sheets in a row, what more does Gunter have to do

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Dec 2019 21:55

As others have said, it’s all about form. I think Bowen gets that and when player’s performances aren’t up to scratch, it’s great we’ve got ample back up.

Need to beat Blackpool imo. A cheeky cup run to keep the players fresh which are currently missing out will be key for a good run in.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2019 21:57

Steve Coppell once said....”never change a winning team”

What did he know?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Dec 2019 22:44

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal Yiadom is the only one I'd send straight back in; a pure like for like upgrade on Gunter. Otherwise, the system is working so stick with it. There will be injuries etc. The players you mention will get chances, but for now they must be patient while the team is winning.

Begs the question if he changes it around after 4 clean sheets in a row, what more does Gunter have to do

Yep.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Dec 2019 00:38

URZZZZ

Retire.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Dec 2019 03:35

AthleticoSpizz Steve Coppell once said....”never change a winning team”

What did he know?

How often did we change that team hardly ever through out the whole season. Managers seem obsessed with rotating and freshening things up. Bowen has struck upon a system where the players all seem comfortable why change?

KDRF

by KDRF » 30 Dec 2019 09:24

Would love to know if someone has the statistics, as to how many times we fielded the same team in our promotion seasons/well performing seasons (3rd under Jaap for example). In those seasons it always felt like we had the same team week in week out, yet in our recent poor seasons it felt like it was a new player every week. Can't be a coincidence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 09:43

KDRF Would love to know if someone has the statistics, as to how many times we fielded the same team in our promotion seasons/well performing seasons (3rd under Jaap for example). In those seasons it always felt like we had the same team week in week out, yet in our recent poor seasons it felt like it was a new player every week. Can't be a coincidence.

It's not. When you do well it's because players are doing well and so retain their place as a natural consequence. When you do badly it's because players are doing poorly and so regularly get dropped for the alternatives to have a chance.

Fair to say managers do chop and change too quickly these days, but I think it's the chopping and changing being a symptom of being shit, rather than being shit the symptom of chopping and changing, which just doesn't help.

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 30 Dec 2019 09:44

KDRF Would love to know if someone has the statistics, as to how many times we fielded the same team in our promotion seasons/well performing seasons (3rd under Jaap for example). In those seasons it always felt like we had the same team week in week out, yet in our recent poor seasons it felt like it was a new player every week. Can't be a coincidence.

You’re probably right, but success tends to breed stability and not necessarily the other way round - you really need to find a winning formula worth sticking with first.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 30 Dec 2019 10:18

7 years as a loyal, hard-working player. Impressive appearance record for club and country. Like all players Gunter's made some mistakes, but nothing to deserve the kind of withering abuse he gets off the bully boys on here and in the stands.

It's the same for other players too. Like when that c*nt on Twitter called out Meite directly for being 'shit'. :roll:

These loudmouths use football to give their own players grief from the safety of a crowd or behind a keyboard. Clearly they've achieved a great deal more in life than you pathetic 'lads' in expensive jumpers with a big mouth and Twitter-trigger finger. If you can handle neither your Fosters nor losing a football match without acting like a prick, maybe it's you who needs to hang up your boots?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Dec 2019 10:23

Dropping Gunter would be bizarre IMO after 4 clean sheets. Gunter is a better defender than Yiadom - although the latter might offer a tad more going forwards. It seems to me that it would be foolhardy changing a winning formula.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 30 Dec 2019 10:31

andrew1957

Dropping Gunter would be bizarre IMO after 4 clean sheets. Gunter is a better defender than Yiadom - although the latter might offer a tad more going forwards. It seems to me that it would be foolhardy changing a winning formula.

This. You don't change a winning team. Whilst Yiadom might be better at getting forward, Gunter is better at crossing the ball (obviously this is just my opinion). Just whilst we're talking about their offensive abilities.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Dec 2019 10:58

Stick with what is working. Make a few changes for Blackpool, perhaps give Moore a rest for Miazga and let Obita get some game time. Also let Yiadom get some competitive minutes under his belt, same as Puscas.

We could put out a pretty strong team while still giving players game time. Presume Adam will be demanding to play against his old club as well. But also time to rest players like Ejaria, Swift and Moore who are vital for the league.

Presume Dai Yongge would prefer us to have a decent cup run to out a few quid in the club’s coffers and help with FFP.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 11:13

I’d certainly rotate for Blackpool but leave things pretty much as they are for the moment in the league

Rino, Olise, Richards, Obita, Walker, Howe, Miazga, Boye, Baldock could all do with 90 mins

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Dec 2019 11:18

Hound I’d certainly rotate for Blackpool but leave things pretty much as they are for the moment in the league

Rino, Olise, Richards, Obita, Walker, Howe, Miazga, Boye, Baldock could all do with 90 mins

This. We would be silly not to rotate as much as possible for Blackpool.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 30 Dec 2019 11:19

Do we need Yiadom as an attacking option when we should have enough with what is available to us right now?

Additionally, have we shown fatigue enough to warrant rotation (for league games?). I’d give those that have been out a run out against Blackpool (as mentioned earlier) but let’s give this momentum a chance to continue.

101 posts